Beauty for Ashes

Double Standards

190 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have been facing a little bit of this over the last year. I am wondering if anyone else has.

I am not alllowed to talk to men except the ones I work with and family and certainly not have male friends anymore but it seems as if my husband talks freely to women, yet would never accept the same from me.

As much as it pains me, it seems as if a double standard exists in my relationship and it troubles me. He can go out with friends at night overseas and I am sure it will be the same here. But if I go out he wants one of my children with me. He doesn't want me chatting. I feel as if he can do what he wants and I am bound by another set of rules. I know he loves me. That is not the point. I just feel that he is open minded with everyone but me including other American women. He has met them and frankly tolerates all kinds of things in women in his home town but for me and his family oh heck no. I was not even able to hold a conversation with a man or laugh a little when I was in Algeria. I had to keep my eyes down. Have any of you experienced an extreme level of irrational jealousy on your husbands part about men you know, your dress or behavior?

I am opening myself up for a hell of alot of criticism but thats what VJ is about... talking about issues with mena spouses. I know he loves me. This has nothing to do with love. This has to do with culture. He is very hard on the girls in his family and his sister as well....Its not just me

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i can't offer advice, since i'm a guy and that would violate his wishes that you don't talk to other men. :innocent:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I would say if you are willing to accept this behavoir then your fine, if not, will he ever lighten up when he gets here

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Timeline

Charles isnt a guy :rofl:

TIMELINE

-------------

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

Filed: Timeline
I would say if you are willing to accept this behavoir then your fine, if not, will he ever lighten up when he gets here

He is going to have to. American society is just not set up like this. I understand because I saw other women pretty much sitting at home while their husbands sat outside and drank coffee and did what they want. The only women you saw out at night at restaurants were prostitutes.

Hes an honorary MENA GIRL

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

welcome to a marriage with a muslim man. :energy: i do face some of the things you mention (like not wanting me to have male friends, etc) but he does NOT have female friends and keeps his gaze down when he must talk to females, etc. so i wouldn't call my situation a double standard... but i've heard plenty of stories about other examples of double standards! hey even with non muslims! ;)

american women are not YOU. YOU are his wife. you are held to a totally different standard than other women he might talk to. i wish you luck!

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Timeline

He is going to have to. American society is just not set up like this. I understand because I saw other women pretty much sitting at home while their husbands sat outside and drank coffee and did what they want. The only women you saw out at night at restaurants were prostitutes.

don't bet on him changing because you think "he has to". that kind of behaviour has been ingrained in him and his culture and you should expect him NOT to change...but be happy if he does! its not cool to marry a guy because you think you can change him. but i also think its not cool for these guys to marry strong american women when they are so completely different. :blush:

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Timeline

This is true all the coffee shops day and night are mostly men, but we do not live life like this here. He was subject to men at work, when shopping, repair ment so i guess u just need talk to him about this . Women here are very independent something else they wont be used to, most have been divorced and some with kids, they are more than able to take care of the house, the car and the bills all at the same time if need be ha

TIMELINE

-------------

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

Do you really think he would be willing to change once he comes over here?

Are you willing to accept that you might be held to a different standard than other American women, or that the double standard will continue between you and him?

Is he open to talking about these things?

Good luck

Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence.

~Lin Yutang

~Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Dh knows that I talk to men all teh time-- it's my job. I also work with them. He doesn't want me to touch them, but shaking hands is OK. I don't want to touch anyone, even to shake their hands :) Dh doesn't touch other women, and he talks to them-- because he works with them. I know in teh past he had female friends (cousins mostly) and he knows I had/have male friends-- but both of us keep our contact to a real minimum. So for us it'

s not done in the double-standard mode.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Timeline

If you are to frame all of this from a traditional cultural perspective, the fact that he goes and talks to women freely is clearly hypocritical on his part and definitely a double-standard. I think the rest is not. He has higher expectations of "good" behavior from you than he does from other women in his neighborhood. I don't think this is unusual. I tolerate things in my neighbors I would not in my husband.

Clearly generalizing - but women laughing out on the street with men or going out at night unnecessarily are not highly thought of from people who hold more traditional values in the Middle East, as I am sure you know. He wants you out with your daughter so it will appear that whatever you are doing is not inappropriate. The difference is that here most people could give a ####### when their neighbors come and go.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

:bonk::blush:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.