Teacher Mark

Evidence Of A Bonafide Marriage

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

We applied for the visa only a few days after the wedding, in Brazil. Since we don´t have joint accounts or loans yet, we sent the usual pictures of the wedding, honeymoon, and also pictures of us together, in the US, with friends (valentine´s day, b-days, etc). Also a couple e-mails and text messages we´ve exchanged over the past year. Of course we sent the marriage certificate translated and everything. We also added to the package a sworn affidavit (notarized) from my husband´s roommate. He´s been our friend from the very beginning of the relationship (and actually before that, we were all friends)... So, we tought it could be helpful to have someone swearing that he "knows" our bona fide relationship.

I don´t know what else they could ask!! LOL!

Good luck!

Things can get pretty confusing, but it helps tremendously to have VJ. As I mentioned, they are not as demanding with newlyweds because you probably won't have home loans, bank accounts, etc. The most important thing is your marriage certificate. I also printed a bunch of photos 4 to a page with captions on a color laser. If you have some pics of the two of you, then include some. Also, any kind of proof showing your visits to see your spouse can't hurt. However, these travel proofs are not required as in the case of a K-1 fiance visa.

A good idea would be to post your table of contents for your petition packages before you send them(minus personal details). Other members can look at it and might spot anything you may be missing. I did this before I sent off my petitions and it helped catch a few minor issues.

Good luck,

CG

Newlyweds who've never lived together usually have little in the way of additional evidence of bona fides at petition filing. Most fall into the "anything else you think..." category. I wouldn't lose sleep over obtaining affidavits from people who know little if anything about your relationship except they attended a party.

Our Immigration Timeline:

Form I-130 sent to Chicago - 03/18/08 (Case in VSC)

NOA 1 - 03/26/08

Updates - 04/01/08; 06/16/08; 06/17/08

NOA 2 - 01/23/09

NVC received papers - 01/30/09

NVC generated DS 3032 and AOS bill - 02/02/09

DS 3032 sent by e-mail and snail mail - 02/02/09

NVC replied my e-mail confirming my choice of agent - 02/06/09

AOS bill received - 02/07/09

AOS bill and IV bill paid online - 02/07/09

AOS and IV display the PAID message - 02/11/09

AOS and DS-230 packages sent - 02/11/09

NVC received packages - 02/13/09

NVC sent RFE (mistake on DS-230) - 02/20/09

Form DS-230 re-sent (as requested) - 02/26/09

CASE COMPLETE - 03/05/09

Interview date assigned - 03/10/09

Case forwarded to the embassy - 03/11/09

Medical Examination - 04/08/09

CR1 interview - 04/09/09 - VISA APPROVED!

Visa in hand - 04/??/09

POE - 04/??/09

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

We applied for the visa only a few days after the wedding, in Brazil. Since we don´t have joint accounts or loans yet, we sent the usual pictures of the wedding, honeymoon, and also pictures of us together, in the US, with friends (valentine´s day, b-days, etc). Also a couple e-mails and text messages we´ve exchanged over the past year. Of course we sent the marriage certificate translated and everything. We also added to the package a sworn affidavit (notarized) from my husband´s roommate. He´s been our friend from the very beginning of the relationship (and actually before that, we were all friends)... So, we tought it could be helpful to have someone swearing that he "knows" our bona fide relationship.

I don´t know what else they could ask!! LOL!

Good luck!

HI!

Do we still need to send evidence of bonafide marriage together the I-129F or its only for I-130?

Filed: Timeline

We just sent a couple of emails from the beginning of our relationship .... the middle and recent ones .... a certified copy of the original marriage certificate (the same as our original one, as I got 5 of them on the day, just incase) .... about 10 photos, some from the wedding and others from other times we were together .... passport stamps .... and a cover letter briefly explaining the way our relationship came about.

Our packet was literally thrown together in a rush as I had to get on my plane a few hours later back to England for my engineering exams .... which were more important at the time.

We were approved with no RFE's even though the passport photos were not in bags and only paperclipped to the biographic forms ... that I do remember .... and God knows what else, as I didn't photocopy any of it.

It was simply chucked into an envelope .... there was also one question on the I-130 now looking back, that I'm pretty sure I missed too.

We were lucky .... but I put that down to the Senator we had involved in getting our approval, without him, I think we'd have been in RFE land till 2025.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I sent all that stuff in both packages, just in case. We never know if our cases will be ´judged` by the same officer. Nowadays, it seems like they are putting them together. But it doesn´t hurt to send it all. Well... I think is better to have a little bit more, than a little bit less...

:thumbs:

HI!

Do we still need to send evidence of bonafide marriage together the I-129F or its only for I-130?

Our Immigration Timeline:

Form I-130 sent to Chicago - 03/18/08 (Case in VSC)

NOA 1 - 03/26/08

Updates - 04/01/08; 06/16/08; 06/17/08

NOA 2 - 01/23/09

NVC received papers - 01/30/09

NVC generated DS 3032 and AOS bill - 02/02/09

DS 3032 sent by e-mail and snail mail - 02/02/09

NVC replied my e-mail confirming my choice of agent - 02/06/09

AOS bill received - 02/07/09

AOS bill and IV bill paid online - 02/07/09

AOS and IV display the PAID message - 02/11/09

AOS and DS-230 packages sent - 02/11/09

NVC received packages - 02/13/09

NVC sent RFE (mistake on DS-230) - 02/20/09

Form DS-230 re-sent (as requested) - 02/26/09

CASE COMPLETE - 03/05/09

Interview date assigned - 03/10/09

Case forwarded to the embassy - 03/11/09

Medical Examination - 04/08/09

CR1 interview - 04/09/09 - VISA APPROVED!

Visa in hand - 04/??/09

POE - 04/??/09

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.