StillThePrettiest

US/UK equivalents

192 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

This is what I've come up with so far. Some are specific to the St. Louis area but others are applicable nationwide.

Primark - TKmax

Waitrose - Dierbergs (around St. Louis anyway)

M&S -

Tesco - Super Target (if you have one... Sells everything and food but better quality than Asda which would be likened to a super Walmart)

Next -

Monsoon -

Wagamama - Panda Express (a poor imitation but the closest I can think of)

Jessops - Creve Coeur Camera (again around St. Louis)

Woolworths -

Debenhams -

The Body Shop - The Body Shop (they have those over here)

Traidcraft -

Threshers - World Market (Has a great booze section with wine and beer from around the world)

Med Kitchen -

Paperchase - Papyrus (they have their own stores and sections in most Borders bookshops !!)

Yo! Sushi -

I'll work on the completing the rest.

Mark :)

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definitely liken Waitrose/M&S Food to Whole Foods - Oh I love Whole Foods!

Next - Loft

Yo! Sushi - You will forget all about pricey Yo! when you start getting to know your local Japanese restaurants. Same goes for Wagamamas

Debenhams - Macys!! There are a few good department stores though - Kohls, Belk, Dillards, JC Penny, Sears, Saks!

Pimark - Definitely Target clothes (better than primark but similar prices) Old Navy is great for cheap t-shirts and jeans

Woolworths - Target

B&Q - Lowes/Home Depot

Iron Bed Company/Lakelands - Bed, bath and beyond and linen n things (for all your bedroom, kitchen and bathroom stuff.)

WHSmiths/Waterstones - Boarders or Barnes and Nobel

Paperchase - Papyrus

Topshop - Forever 21/Old Navy/American Eagle

Oh I'm supposed to be working and now all I can think about is shopping. . .

I-129F

12.03.08 ~ NOA1

12.05.08 ~ NOA2

06.06.08 ~ Packet 3

18.06.08 ~ Packet 4

25.06.08 ~ Medical

11.07.08 ~ Interview - Approved!

22.07.08 ~ POE Atlanta

K1 = 3months, 29days

AOS

07.11.08 ~ NOA 1 - AOS, EAD, AP

24.11.08 ~ Transferred to CSC

28.11.08 ~ Biometrics

31.12.08 ~ EAD/AP Approved :)

23.03.09 ~ RFE

06.04.09 ~ RFE response delivered to CSC

22.04.09 ~ Card production ordered

01.05.09 ~ Conditional GC arrived in the mail

Permanent Residence = 5months, 15days

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

:lol:

oh, this is fun :lol:

I have no doubt you're right about the sushi places - it was like that in Sydney too - but I still find it interesting to know ;)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Teehee, this topic has just fueled tonights conversation with Alan. He pointed out that Threshers = ABC but I HATE ABC so def would say World Market or mom and pop packet store for booze. I find it so strange that you can't buy alcohol from just any old store, but hey ho. There is a bar not far from Alan's house called Summits and they have a beer list of over 300 beers (domestic and imports.) You sign up for a "passport" when you go in and everytime you buy a beer its crossed off your list, once you meet one of the the mile stones (100, 200, 300) you get your own inscribed beer glass/mug and they serve your drink in that till you upgrade. I LOVE IT! I think the micro breweries are a good alternative to a proper Englsih Pub too. There used to be an awesome English pub at the CNN building in Atlanta with scotch eggs and all but they have closed now i think. A lot of the imitation places are really hit or miss...mainly miss i'm afraid.

Sorry a little :ot:

I-129F

12.03.08 ~ NOA1

12.05.08 ~ NOA2

06.06.08 ~ Packet 3

18.06.08 ~ Packet 4

25.06.08 ~ Medical

22.07.08 ~ POE Atlanta

K1 = 3months, 29days

AOS

28.11.08 ~ Biometrics

23.03.09 ~ RFE

I like Lush - we have them in Aus, and I THINK I've seen some here (or something remarkably like), but they're a bit overpowering; just walking by the door can bowl me over with all the perfumes gusting out :blink:

Oh but I LOVE it!! :D

Teehee, this topic has just fueled tonights conversation with Alan. He pointed out that Threshers = ABC but I HATE ABC so def would say World Market or mom and pop packet store for booze. I find it so strange that you can't buy alcohol from just any old store, but hey ho. There is a bar not far from Alan's house called Summits and they have a beer list of over 300 beers (domestic and imports.) You sign up for a "passport" when you go in and everytime you buy a beer its crossed off your list, once you meet one of the the mile stones (100, 200, 300) you get your own inscribed beer glass/mug and they serve your drink in that till you upgrade. I LOVE IT! I think the micro breweries are a good alternative to a proper Englsih Pub too. There used to be an awesome English pub at the CNN building in Atlanta with scotch eggs and all but they have closed now i think. A lot of the imitation places are really hit or miss...mainly miss i'm afraid.

Sorry a little :ot:

ABC?? You in Hawaii?! They were *everywhere* we loved them because they had everything and were just down the road from our hotel :D I can imagine they would be really annoying to the locals though ;)

I've never seen them in any other state though...?

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: Timeline

I'm from the UK, but am in the US on a student visa. In the City that I am in, there are a lot of German pubs. They aren't the same ye ol' English pubs, but they do fine! :dance:

and it really doesn't matter about the equivalent, because at the end of the day.....I just miss the cheese!!!!!!!

Edited by flutterby

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Primark -

M&S - There really isn't anything like it as you don't see department stores w/ groceries in it here. But I would say if you are talking about M&S Simply Foods Whole Foods would be close or perhaps Wild Oats.

Tesco - I agree Super Target or Super Wal-Mart. Depending where you live a Shop-Ko or Pamida would be similar as well.

Next/Monsoon - You have no shortage of shopping. If you live in an urban/suburban area you'll find plenty of shops like that. I believe most of them have been mentioned but I'll throw Delia's and Mango into the mix.

Wagamama - The only places I really see franchised Chinese is at malls. Most restaurants are family owned by first/second generation immigrants.

Jessops - Ritz Camera

Woolworths - I think Target/Wal-Mart/Shopko/Pamida would be close enough

Debenhams - Von Mauer/Macy's/Bloomingdales/Sak 5th Avenue/Dillards/Younkers/Herbergers/Nordstroms/JC Penney - I think I covered a good most department stores here

The Body Shop - They are in the US as mentioned previously, as is Crabtree & Evelyn. Also try Bath & Body Works

Traidcraft - Ten Thousand Villages

Threshers - I agree with World Market, also Pier One

Med Kitchen - Mediterranean food isn't quite as popular in the US right now, however there is a small chain in Chicago called Roti that is quite tasty.

Paperchase - Papyrus/Crane & Co.

Yo! Sushi - in Chicago Tokyo Lunch Box is a good option

Most cities have a good selection of Irish pubs to choose from. The only chain like O'Neill's I can think of is Fado's over here. English pubs are few and far between...there is a chain called Fox and Hound that might be in your area.

Edited by ginger1981
wtf-picard.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

What would be the US equivalent to boots or superdrug then? I'm so gonna miss boots :(

Our K1 Journey

November 5th 2005 - ♥ Tash & Chris met ♥

June 11th 2007 - We posted the I129F :D

June 19th 2007 - USCIS received date

June 22nd 2007 - NOA1 received

November 16th 2007 - NOA2 - 156 days from filing

November 24th 2007 - Hard copy of NOA2 received

December 15th 2007 - Packet 3 received

January 18th 2008 - Packet 3 returned

February 13th 2008 - Packet 4 received

March 4th 2008 - Medical @ 1.00pm

March 5th 2008 - INTERVIEW @ 10.00am - APPROVED!!

March 11th 2008 - Visa received!

April 30th 2008 - Flying home at last!!!!! (POE: Dulles - Washington DC)

July 12th 2008 - Wedding date!

Now for AOS!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

oooo, good question... specially the Boots card :(

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Hmmm I dunno but I *love* Big Lots... not sure what the UK equivalent would be... maybe poundstretcher?

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Are they big on reward cards in the US? They don't really have a boots equivalent although Target have an awesome range of stuff for the bathroom and cosmetics etc. They even stock the boots botanics range at the target nears Alan's house which I was amazed to find. They are where I would go in the US for anything that I would normally go to boots for here.

Edited by BexandAlan

I-129F

12.03.08 ~ NOA1

12.05.08 ~ NOA2

06.06.08 ~ Packet 3

18.06.08 ~ Packet 4

25.06.08 ~ Medical

22.07.08 ~ POE Atlanta

K1 = 3months, 29days

AOS

28.11.08 ~ Biometrics

23.03.09 ~ RFE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.