Phuong

Does the CO Actually Call the Petitioner

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I just got off the phone with my fiance, and went over all of the facts just to freshen up. She is really adament that the CO (interviewer) the US Consulate in HCMC will call me, whether before, during or after, the interview in order to match answers. Do they really do that? I find it not feasible if you happen to miss the call or couldn't pick it up for whatever reason. If that's the case, what, are they going to leave a message? It just doesn't seem logical. Has any K-1 petitioner ever been called upon for questioning?

Thanks,

Phuong

Timeline

There's a lot of misinformation that people in Vietnam (as well as the US but most of them have never gone thru this prcess) tell each other about the interview process. I can tell you that no one called me from the Consulate to check answers. Even if they had, they would have gotten my answering machine because I was in Vietnam for Thi's interview. I checked my messages and no one called from the Consulate to leave a message.

Before her interview, Thi was concerned because she heard some stories about what was needed for the interview such as I needed to have $40,000 in the bank or she wouldn't get her visa. When the Packet 3 letter came she saw that the Consulate is only concerned with income, not bank accounts for the I-134.

I have heard of the USCIS checking answers during their interviews in the US where they put the husband in one room and the wife in the other because they think the marriage is a fraud but that's the only time I've heard of this actually happening. Your fiancee may have heard about this and thinks it's the HCMC Consulate not the USCIS in the US which has done this.

Peter and Thi

I-129F Sent : 2007-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-06-11

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-10-26

Touched: 2007-11-02

NVC Recieved: 2007-11-16

Consulate recieved ??????

Packet 3 sent 2007-12-11

Packet 3 received 2007-12-24

Packet 3 returned 2007-12-28

Packet 4 sent 2008-1-14

Email Reply with Interview Date 2008-1-23

Interview Date 2008-2-27

Passed Interview 2008-02-27

Visa Pick Up Date 2008-3-05

Received Visa 2008-2-29 (called to pick up earlier)

POE 2008-3-05 Los Angeles

Edited by PeterFB

Base on what I understanding, the answer is NO. My step-mom was introduced by aunt. But step-mom has the same last name with my mom and lives next to my grand-mom house. At the interview, they let her stayed on the waiting room. US Consulate sent their ppl to my grand-mom house to investigate, to ensure there is no relationship at all (Lady interviewed and questioned my uncle a lot).

Peter said right, at US they may send ppl to your house or call your house at night to make sure you're living together. It happened in Cali and Texas (my friend get cause, but was okay).

Second K1: I-129F Timeline

--------------------

Sept 15, 2007: I-129F sent to VSC

Sept 24, 2007: NOA1 hard copy received

Jan 25, 2008: Approved

Feb 01, 2008: NOA2 hard copy received

April 24, 20008: Interviewed

May 06, 2008: Received Visa

May 11, 2008: Entry to US "Chicago"

May 15, 2008: Registered Marriage's license

Sept 19, 2008: Received Green Card w/o interview

=========================

***Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

June 19,2010 - I751 Package sent to VSC

June 28,2010 - Received NOA1

July 07, 2010 - Biometrics appt

August 09, 2010 - Approved w/o Interview

August 19, 2010 - 10 Year Green Card Received

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Feb 2012 - Received U.S Citizenship

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Heck no, they don't ask the petitioner any questions. They don't care about the petitioner at all, it seems (other than paperwork). I wish they WOULD ask me some questions, then this interview thing would go a lot quicker and easier.

I know Mai Anh can answer any a$$hole questions they can dream up, though. I am not worried about her end of it.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
I just got off the phone with my fiance, and went over all of the facts just to freshen up. She is really adament that the CO (interviewer) the US Consulate in HCMC will call me, whether before, during or after, the interview in order to match answers. Do they really do that? I find it not feasible if you happen to miss the call or couldn't pick it up for whatever reason. If that's the case, what, are they going to leave a message? It just doesn't seem logical. Has any K-1 petitioner ever been called upon for questioning?

Thanks,

Phuong

Not a chance! God forbid we actually have any input in this part of the process.

Timeline
I have heard of the USCIS checking answers during their interviews in the US where they put the husband in one room and the wife in the other because they think the marriage is a fraud but that's the only time I've heard of this actually happening. Your fiancee may have heard about this and thinks it's the HCMC Consulate not the USCIS in the US which has done this.

Hi Peter-

Your a little incorrect as the embassy can request independant interviews... 6 months after Nhu got a blue slip at her interview, I went to the HCMC embassy and requested a meeting to discuss any questions the CO had. They called us in a couple days later (luckily my phone is international) and ACTUALLY seperated us into different rooms to be interviewed (my fiance's 2nd). My lawyer tells me this is the hardest interview you can have and also the hardest to recieve the pink from as any discrepancy in answers can kill your chances completely.

We are now approaching the 1 year anniversary of this interview. And now that Nhu is here, we both look at all we've done since and measure it against how difficult it was to bring her here, and everything in life (including taxes) is so much easier! This has truly been the best year of our lives...and I think its due partially to both of us realizing how much we fought for it!

Hope this helps!!!

Greg

Our K1 Timeline

03.11 - 4.10.2005 - Met on vacation in Vietnam

10.25 - 11.19.2005 - Returned to Vietnam & got engaged 11.1.05

12.29.2005 - I-129F Sent

01.04.2006 - I-129F NOA1/Receipt and Case Number

03.23.2006 - NOA2

04.05.2006 - Rec'd @ NVC

04.07.2006 - Left for HCMC

04.08.2006 - e-file in HCMC

05.10.2006 - HCMC sends out packet 3

06.02.2006 - Rec'd packet 3

06.05.2006 - sent forms back to HCMC

07.17.2006 - called and got Interview date

07.20.2006 - Rec'd packet 4

08.10.2006 - ***INTERVIEW*** - Blue slip

08.11.2006 - Went to embassy with add'l evidence - Green Slip

03.23.2007 - both of us interviewed and ....PASSED

03.24.2007 - Picked up VISA!!!!!

04.11.2007 - Got Married!

07.18.2007 - Mailed AOS paperwork

08.28.2007 - RFE

09.18.2007 - Mailed back add'l paperwork

10.12.2007 - EAD card issued

11.14.2007 - notified by phone of Interview in 2 days!

11.16.2007 - INTERVIEW (RFE given for add'l evidences..again!)

12.06.2007 - Dropped off evidences at USCIS office

12.18.2007 - I485 Card Production Ordered

12.29.2007 - Card Rec'd!!!

11.19.2009 - I-751 filed for lifting conditions

11.20.2009 - Issued NOA

01.22.2010 - photo and fingerprints

02.03.2010 - lifting conditions APPROVED!!

02.09.2010 - card rec'd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

??????????? - All of our lives together to figure out the rest ;)

Timeline

Hi Peter-

Your a little incorrect as the embassy can request independant interviews... 6 months after Nhu got a blue slip at her interview, I went to the HCMC embassy and requested a meeting to discuss any questions the CO had. They called us in a couple days later (luckily my phone is international) and ACTUALLY seperated us into different rooms to be interviewed (my fiance's 2nd). My lawyer tells me this is the hardest interview you can have and also the hardest to recieve the pink from as any discrepancy in answers can kill your chances completely.

We are now approaching the 1 year anniversary of this interview. And now that Nhu is here, we both look at all we've done since and measure it against how difficult it was to bring her here, and everything in life (including taxes) is so much easier! This has truly been the best year of our lives...and I think its due partially to both of us realizing how much we fought for it!

Hope this helps!!!

Greg

Greg

Thanks for the input. Since most Petitionaries aren't at their fiance(e)'s interview and most don't go to the Consulate to fight for your fiancee as you did, yours is an unusual case. I haven't heard of the Consulate doing that until now. I'm glad you were able to pass. It goes to show that if you have a true relationship, you will get the pink. May you both have a happy life together forever, it sounds like you have earned it.

Peter and Thi

I-129F Sent : 2007-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-06-11

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-10-26

Touched: 2007-11-02

NVC Recieved: 2007-11-16

Consulate recieved ??????

Packet 3 sent 2007-12-11

Packet 3 received 2007-12-24

Packet 3 returned 2007-12-28

Packet 4 sent 2008-1-14

Email Reply with Interview Date 2008-1-23

Interview Date 2008-2-27

Passed Interview 2008-02-27

Visa Pick Up Date 2008-3-05

Received Visa 2008-2-29 (called to pick up earlier)

POE 2008-3-05 Los Angeles

Edited by PeterFB

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

They did not call me or try to contact me when they interviewed my wife. After 3 blue/green slips, and 2 attempts at talking to the CO/Chief of Information Unit, I was able to have an appointment with the CoIU when I was in Viet Nam in Feb. He first talked to me while my wife waited outside. He asked a bunch of questions like how did we meet, how many people were at the wedding, etc. After that, he interviewed my wife while I waited outside with a few of the same questions to see if they match. After that, he had us both in the room and gave us the pink slip. Sadly, it was past 1 year since her initial interview date, so they called us about 30 minutes after we left to come back for another blue slip. We just got our new interview date for April 10, where we will be getting the visa.

Good luck and hope your interview goes well.

Timeline
They did not call me or try to contact me when they interviewed my wife. After 3 blue/green slips, and 2 attempts at talking to the CO/Chief of Information Unit, I was able to have an appointment with the CoIU when I was in Viet Nam in Feb. He first talked to me while my wife waited outside. He asked a bunch of questions like how did we meet, how many people were at the wedding, etc. After that, he interviewed my wife while I waited outside with a few of the same questions to see if they match. After that, he had us both in the room and gave us the pink slip. Sadly, it was past 1 year since her initial interview date, so they called us about 30 minutes after we left to come back for another blue slip. We just got our new interview date for April 10, where we will be getting the visa.

Thanks for the input Etrnaly. Could you fill in your timeline when you get a chance please. Your case has alot of information that could be valuable to Viet Nam VJers. Thanks!

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanks for the input Etrnaly. Could you fill in your timeline when you get a chance please. Your case has alot of information that could be valuable to Viet Nam VJers. Thanks!

I plan on doing it once my wife gets her visa. It should be on April 10, so when I get a chance after that, I will post with some info about our whole journey.

Timeline

I plan on doing it once my wife gets her visa. It should be on April 10, so when I get a chance after that, I will post with some info about our whole journey.

Great. That part about getting the pink only to have them call you and tell you you didn't is complete bull%^$&. Go get it on the 10th!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.