Evgeniya

Right spelling on a Russian zagranpassport

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I just wanted to share that if you are changing a name to your husbands name and it turns out that it is going to be spelled diferently on zagran passport you can petition UFMS (upravleniy federalnoy migratsionnoy sluzhby) in Moscow. I send a letter with my marriage certificate, my husbands passport copies attached via mail and then fax. And got a reply yesterday via mail that now my last name will be exactly spelled as my husband's in English. I am so happy. I am applying for a new zagran passport next Wednsday. Apprantly when I went to a local Regional (Krayevoy) Immigration office in my home city they had cases like mine before. They just need a permission from Moscow. Don't go to passportniy stol by address they can't do anything for you.

Edited by Evgeniya

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
I just wanted to share that if you are changing a name to your husbands name and it turns out that it is going to be spelled diferently on zagran passport you can petition UFMS (upravleniy federalnoy migratsionnoy sluzhby) in Moscow. I send a letter with my marriage certificate, my husbands passport copies attached via mail and then fax. And got a reply yesterday via mail that now my last name will be exactly spelled as my husband's in English. I am so happy. I am applying for a new zagran passport next Wednsday. Apprantly when I went to a local Regional (Krayevoy) Immigration office in my home city they had cases like mine before. They just need a permission from Moscow. Don't go to passportniy stol by address they can't do anything for you.

It's good you're doing this but I'm not sure it's necessary...you can check with US Embassy in Moscow. My wife had the same problem...the translation software the passport office uses does a bad job translating many English names. My wife called the US Embassy and they said it was not a problem. I also emailed the US Embassy and they said it is a common situation and would not affect my wife getting her visa.

But if you can get it corrected on your passport, that is good.

Misspellings are more of a pain in the @$$ than anything. Officially, as long as all of your numbers match up, there's never really any problems out in the "real world."

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
Misspellings are more of a pain in the @$$ than anything. Officially, as long as all of your numbers match up, there's never really any problems out in the "real world."

I think we've already discussed it before. Misspeling is not just @$$ it is a royal pain when it comes down getting driving license and collecting airfare bonus miles and so on. So I would prefer not to deal with it any longer. On Friday an inspector has accepted my papers for a new passport, so I should have it in three weeks or so. Which is great!

I think we've already discussed it before. Misspeling is not just @$$ it is a royal pain when it comes down getting driving license and collecting airfare bonus miles and so on. So I would prefer not to deal with it any longer. On Friday an inspector has accepted my papers for a new passport, so I should have it in three weeks or so. Which is great!

Now that's good news!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.