aya*abouelnasr

How much do you really know about your MENA man?

262 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Okay, so we all love our MENA men, but what do we know about him? I mean, come one, I can be anyone you want me to be online, but how much will I follow thru with when you meet me in the real? So, online he seems to be kind, loving, funny, deep, romantic, everything you want in a man, right?

But, how much of it is really "him"?

In my experience it has been not much at all.

Soon after my hubby arrived here, eveything was sunlight and roses, perfect.

Then, two weeks later, he moved into the spare bedroom.

I didn't make much of it at first, we still had our "nightly visits" and he said it was because my kids kept him from sleeping. I kinda like having the bed and the blankets to my self, so I didn't protest to much.

Then, the night visits became few and far between, and for the past two months have been non existant.

He kept saying he needed to find work so he could help me and his family also. Okay, I agree he should help his family, as long as ours is taken care of. But, he landed a small temporary job for cash. Helping out a friend of mine with snow removal, on a short term basis. Guess what? He has hung onto every penny of that money except to buy a few packs of cigarettes for himself. I had to use my tax refund to buy food for the house, all the while he is hanging onto his money. He brought no money with him when he came, I have paid for everthing all of this time.

I know, you have heard this story before, and I am not out for sympathy, or "I told you so". Yeah, I knew the risks I was taking when I got into this relationship for the most part. Of course I was sure that he loved me, I loved him, our lives would be perfect. Same old story. For a while I was happy, for a while we lived as friends, now the AOS has been filed and he is waiting for his work permit. I am hoping that when he get's his work permit he will remove himself from my house and I can get my life back to normal. I kinda feel sorry for him and won't throw him out with no where to go and no way to support himself, that's just me.

I guess the point I am trying to make is this: Make sure, before you sign the first paper, before you marry, before you do anything, that you really KNOW the person. Divorce is hard at best, but when you add all the other things to it, the waiting, the money, the turmoil, it's really devastating.

My life has been blessed with the love of 4 of the sweetest men in the world. James, Jonathan, Nicolas, and Islam, my sons and my S/O.

OPSSSSSSS I DID IT AGAIN!

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

unfortunately yes i heard a similar story just a few months ago, he made a little money and didnt see why he should help her because she already had these bills when he came. Everyones case ends up being different, some it works out well others it doesnt, we hope best for everyone but also know what you say is truth

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: Timeline
Okay, so we all love our MENA men, but what do we know about him? I mean, come one, I can be anyone you want me to be online, but how much will I follow thru with when you meet me in the real? So, online he seems to be kind, loving, funny, deep, romantic, everything you want in a man, right?

I didn't make much of it at first, we still had our "nightly visits" and he said it was because my kids kept him from sleeping. I kinda like having the bed and the blankets to my self, so I didn't protest to much.

Then, the night visits became few and far between, and for the past two months have been non existant.

He kept saying he needed to find work so he could help me and his family also. Okay, I agree he should help his family, as long as ours is taken care of. But, he landed a small temporary job for cash. Helping out a friend of mine with snow removal, on a short term basis. Guess what? He has hung onto every penny of that money except to buy a few packs of cigarettes for himself. I had to use my tax refund to buy food for the house, all the while he is hanging onto his money. He brought no money with him when he came, I have paid for everthing all of this time.

I know, you have heard this story before, and I am not out for sympathy, or "I told you so". Yeah, I knew the risks I was taking when I got into this relationship for the most part. Of course I was sure that he loved me, I loved him, our lives would be perfect. Same old story. For a while I was happy, for a while we lived as friends, now the AOS has been filed and he is waiting for his work permit. I am hoping that when he get's his work permit he will remove himself from my house and I can get my life back to normal. I kinda feel sorry for him and won't throw him out with no where to go and no way to support himself, that's just me.

I guess the point I am trying to make is this: Make sure, before you sign the first paper, before you marry, before you do anything, that you really KNOW the person. Divorce is hard at best, but when you add all the other things to it, the waiting, the money, the turmoil, it's really devastating.

he's probably met other arabs coaching him at the mosque..........................im so sorry tammy.......you need to throw him out.....he doesnt deserve papers

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

Tammy,

Oh sweetie, I feel my heart ripped up hearing this. You did what you did for love, never forget that, you have a heart. Shame shame shame on your husband, I wish I could take the pain from you, and replace the money you lost. Hold your head up high, you are a wonderful women, who showed this man true love. Totally understand your pain, if you need a shoulder to cry on, or just someone to vent to, just throw me a line. I am the last person that would ever judge you, I do things out of love also, and get screwed also. You are in my thoughts sweetie.

1012014111099ec1.gif

A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

Eleanor Roosevelt

thquitsmoking3.jpg

You need to tell hiim that he needs to leave.You are not his mom.You are his wife.Ihad to throw someone out 5 years ago I really loved.Hes an ####,do not help him.You need to stop the AOS and tell him to leave...Its not your responsibility and you arent his mom....Clearly he used you...dont let him do anything else

Tammy only you can make the 'big girl decisons', I can only give you my advice after just going thru a MENA divorce. Each man is different, different in his motives and his family's motives. Many of these men left their country promising to return, marry in their culture and make babies.

After getting here and experiencing American life, maybe that girl back home is not looking so great. Now they become conflicted. Do they settle in and make a life with the woman that sacrificed all to get him here? In most cases, no. Do they now marry the girl from their country, some do and some move on to another American woman. (like my ex)

As we have seen here on the forum, having his child is not always the dealmaker. These men walk out with or without reproducing.

If he is not what you expected, chances are you are not what he expected either. Cut your losses and save yourself and your family added misery. If he is headed to the door, let him go. There is no hanging onto what is already gone. In my situation, I didn't see it coming. I had on the rose colored glasses all the way up til the end. Seems yours are slipping down your nose...things are definately clearer in looking back. When you are in it, the world and everything in it is fuzzy. I hope you find comfort in your family and friends. They were around before he came and they will be around after he's gone.

You are not alone. This is becoming a 'norm' even tho most don't post it here. You are brave to do so. In sharing our 'realities' it willl help others in the future when they need to make their own decisions.

Jackie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Tammy,

I'm so sorry that you are going thru this painful situation. ***(((HUGS)))****.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! (F)

D.

Citizenship (N-400)

09/15/2009 - Application mailed to Texas Lockbox

09/17/2009 - Delivered to the Lockbox

09/21/2009 - Check cashed

09/24/2009 - NOA dated 9/18/09

09/26/2009 - RFE mailed out dated 9/25 (biometrics notice)

10/14/2009 - Biometrics completed

01/01/2010 - finally an update - awaiting interview letter

02/08/2010 - interview (Garden City, NY) -- PASSED

03/03/2010 - Oath Ceremony in Brooklyn

03/13/2010 - U.S. Passport in hand

DONE!!!

Tammy only you can make the 'big girl decisons', I can only give you my advice after just going thru a MENA divorce. Each man is different, different in his motives and his family's motives. Many of these men left their country promising to return, marry in their culture and make babies.

After getting here and experiencing American life, maybe that girl back home is not looking so great. Now they become conflicted. Do they settle in and make a life with the woman that sacrificed all to get him here? In most cases, no. Do they now marry the girl from their country, some do and some move on to another American woman. (like my ex)

As we have seen here on the forum, having his child is not always the dealmaker. These men walk out with or without reproducing.

If he is not what you expected, chances are you are not what he expected either. Cut your losses and save yourself and your family added misery. If he is headed to the door, let him go. There is no hanging onto what is already gone. In my situation, I didn't see it coming. I had on the rose colored glasses all the way up til the end. Seems yours are slipping down your nose...things are definately clearer in looking back. When you are in it, the world and everything in it is fuzzy. I hope you find comfort in your family and friends. They were around before he came and they will be around after he's gone.

You are not alone. This is becoming a 'norm' even tho most don't post it here. You are brave to do so. In sharing our 'realities' it willl help others in the future when they need to make their own decisions.

Jackie,mena men marrying western women and dumping them after they aos has always been a reality....You never can really talk about it here but its a constant...I have not met one woman in my town who married a Tunisian still married,about 25 of the moroccans hang in there,50percent palis 50percentalgerians,about 25 percent of the egyptians ,absoulutely no Jordanians I know stayed in the marriage.If my husband did this to me after all the ####### I had seen,He would not only not see me anymore,I would cut him out of our baby's life.Ihave no patience for this monstrous #######...I don't play nice and as American,you cannot play nice.Stop his AOS and a message in his suitcase...Hes probably got a wife back home waiting...I say screw all of these jerks....They get coached by other arabs upon arrival and back home...He was nice until she filed aos I bet...Mines coming with a cr1.I will not lift conditions if he does anything shifty...These mena men who are like this take advantage of soft weak American women...Girls back home wouldnt play this

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Very good advice, Tammy. I'm so sorry things have worked out this way for you. Take care of yourself and your kids. (F)

oh and one more thing....file for divorce,drop him off at the mosque,and go on with your life.2 months in the bed by yourself.#######...

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline
..I don't play nice and as American,you cannot play nice.Stop his AOS and a message in his suitcase...Hes probably got a wife back home waiting...I say screw all of these jerks....They get coached by other arabs upon arrival and back home...He was nice until she filed aos I bet...Mines coming with a cr1.I will not lift conditions if he does anything shifty...These mena men who are like this take advantage of soft weak American women...Girls back home wouldnt play this

You are right :thumbs:

A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

Eleanor Roosevelt

thquitsmoking3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Tammy,

Oh sweetie, I feel my heart ripped up hearing this. You did what you did for love, never forget that, you have a heart. Shame shame shame on your husband, I wish I could take the pain from you, and replace the money you lost. Hold your head up high, you are a wonderful women, who showed this man true love. Totally understand your pain, if you need a shoulder to cry on, or just someone to vent to, just throw me a line. I am the last person that would ever judge you, I do things out of love also, and get screwed also. You are in my thoughts sweetie.

1012014111099ec1.gif

Love your avatar!!!!!

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

..I don't play nice and as American,you cannot play nice.Stop his AOS and a message in his suitcase...Hes probably got a wife back home waiting...I say screw all of these jerks....They get coached by other arabs upon arrival and back home...He was nice until she filed aos I bet...Mines coming with a cr1.I will not lift conditions if he does anything shifty...These mena men who are like this take advantage of soft weak American women...Girls back home wouldnt play this

You are right :thumbs:

and one more thing.....being weak strings it along.....cut it hard.....I am telling you from experience I had with a nasty,cheating,manipulative mena man 5 years ago.I not only suffered,the kids suffer horribly....He will pull out all the stops...another trick you can pull is this.....let him aos,but then have him move completely out...Quietly publish for divorce,get one,then quietly tell the uscis he used you for papers and quietly pull his papers,change your phone,your locks, and if he comes near you,get a restraining order...He doesnt love you..You deserve to be loved..Pull the plug and fast and hard and sneaky.....you will feel better right after that...TRUST ME...The hardest thing is coming to terms with the fact he doesnt love you.When you do that,you can do the nasty things you will have to do

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Tammy,

I am so sorry to hear about this. I hope that you find support and comfort in family and friends...My thoughts are with you.. (F)

“Hold on to the center and make up your mind to rejoice in this paradise called life.” ~ Lao-tzu

4374690_bodyshot_175x233_1205371236499.gif4572850_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Wow, did he ever mention helping his family before coming? How long did you know him before? This is scarey. Im soo sorry you are going through this. What warning signs did you see maybe before he came...that you see now? Anything that would shed light for the rest of us?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.