Jaseball

Communist Party Membership/Overcome

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
You are correct Mike and one should never lie to a consulate official. Bob if my memory serves me well the question "have you ever been?" is on the I-485. It is going to come out eventually but in my oppinion it is better to deal with it state side than be longer apart.

Not to be picking at words but it seems pretty honest to me if you quit and later someone asks you if you are a member the correct answer would be no.

Thanks everyone. This makes a world of difference.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Not to be picking at words but it seems pretty honest to me if you quit and later someone asks you if you are a member the correct answer would be no.

Of course but there's no gaurantee the question will be "are you" instead of "have you ever been" so one should be prepared to answer whatever question is asked, not just the question you hope for. If you quit, you hope for "are you". If you don't quit, you hope for no question. Beter to quit. :thumbs:

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Of course but there's no gaurantee the question will be "are you" instead of "have you ever been" so one should be prepared to answer whatever question is asked, not just the question you hope for. If you quit, you hope for "are you". If you don't quit, you hope for no question. Beter to quit. :thumbs:

I so agree. And for any "..ever been..." I cannot stress strongly enough to answer that honestly and have all the resignation documents you can get available. I firmly believe that GUZ VOs know what jobs do and do not require Party membership.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I stressed with my fiancee that no matter what we are going to do this 100% within the rules, so that we don't have any surprises or additional BS at AOS or other points of the process.

She will answer truthfully, however she is no longer a paying member and is seeking a formal withdrawal, so she can answer no to the "are you," question verbally or in writing.

I also feel she should be with me stateside ASAP. We're not going to delay our reunion and wedding 4-6+ months and have to wait the additional time unless there is no choice because the 'have you ever been,' question comes up at any point.

In any communist or 'totalitarian,' country with these proceedings it would make sense to ask and get this ####### sorted out in the beginning vs., waiting until adjustment or in case the CO is having a really bad year and is forcing the question on everyone at the interview.

First off let me repeat myself. One should NEVER EVER EVER LIE TO THE USCIS. It can come back to haunt you severely. Now if your sweet heart quit the comunist party she can honestly answer the question on the DS 230 part 2 "are you a member of the comunist party?" as no. My observation from the women I have heard talk about it say it isn't always asked at interview. I agree with Mike and Bob that she should be prepared to answer honestly the question "have you ever been..." If the question is asked it is almost guaranteed that she will get a blue slip. Be prepared to overcome it. If you are lucky you won't have to deal with it until AOS. It will come out eventually. In my oppinion it is better to be together when it does.

Carl: Portland Oregon, USA / Bing: Nanning, Guangxi, China

filed I-129 at NSC 05/02/03...NOA-1 05/05/03...NOA 2 11/07/03...Cleared NVC 12/05/03...P-3 received 1/15/04...P-4 03/03/04...Interview 04/13/04...blue slip issued 04/13/04...go to china to overcome 04/23/04 submit overcome 04/28/04...visa approved 04/29/04...Married 06/01/04...Applied for Bing's SSN 07/15/04...SSN received 07/19/04...Filed AOS & received EAD 07/28/04...AOS interview 10/19/04....Welcome to America letter 11/1/04...Green Card arrives 11/06/04...Sent in I-751 to remove green card conditions 10/02/06...Received NOA for I-751 10/23/06... Card production ordered 5/10/07...Approval notice sent 5/16/07 ... Ten year green card arrived 5/17/07... mailed application for citizenship 01/29/08... NOA for N-400 recieved 02/13/08...Biometrics letter 02/15/08...NOA for citizenship interview arrived 05/23/08...Citizenship test 07/09/08...

Timeline
First off let me repeat myself. One should NEVER EVER EVER LIE TO THE USCIS. It can come back to haunt you severely. Now if your sweet heart quit the comunist party she can honestly answer the question on the DS 230 part 2 "are you a member of the comunist party?" as no. My observation from the women I have heard talk about it say it isn't always asked at interview. I agree with Mike and Bob that she should be prepared to answer honestly the question "have you ever been..." If the question is asked it is almost guaranteed that she will get a blue slip. Be prepared to overcome it. If you are lucky you won't have to deal with it until AOS. It will come out eventually. In my oppinion it is better to be together when it does.

An interesting exercise on this might be to translate the two questions. I'm wondering whether the nuanced difference in the questions would still be apparent and whether the interviewer would be very clear in the distinction if asking in Chinese. I imagine its a bit of a ####### shoot. Both my Chinese speakers are still asleep.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

An interesting exercise on this might be to translate the two questions. I'm wondering whether the nuanced difference in the questions would still be apparent and whether the interviewer would be very clear in the distinction if asking in Chinese. I imagine its a bit of a ####### shoot. Both my Chinese speakers are still asleep.

An extensive discussion at breakfast has convinced me, it is highly likely the two questions would be clearly understood. Little chance for confusion if the applicant is paying attention.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

• 7 years later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Ancient thread from seven years ago closed to further comment~

~Recent postings moved to on-going similar-themed thread~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.