terri o'neale

Angry with these protests

192 posts in this topic

It seems that my stance has angered someone also. I understand that this is a hot button subject for some people. But facts are facts. If someone came here knowingly violating our immigration laws then they should not be allowed to stay.

No they shouldn't. But it's not one person is it - its several million people, the population of a good-sized american city.

I'm just saying that a sense of realism has to prevail here. Mass deportations will not happen under a democractically elected government - and the sort of government that would endorse it is not one that I think any of us would want.

The sheer financial costs of the deportation process (via the courts) would be prohibitive, not to mention civil unrest from breaking up families. It simply isn't realistic.

If you really want to solve this problem, it will involve significantly tightening laws and reforming law enforcement agencies to better enforce them. There's no 'quick fix' here unfortunately.

I understand there is no way to sweep through our cities and start rounding them up. However, this "catch and release" way of dealing with it is also not the answer. We need to remove the motivation for their coming here. Make it IMPOSSIBLE for them to work. Strictly enforce our labor laws. Arrest and jail anyone knowingly employing an illegal. Deport anyone caught without the legal right to be here. They will start going home when they relalize the free ride is over.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm sure there will be, but I know from watching other forums regarding this issue that there will also be people who have run into road blocks attempting to follow through legal immigration, and that they, and their legal spouses and familes will be joining hoping to show there is more to this than just a ppl coming here to work. Unfortunately what they are trying to say most likely will be drown by all the rest

I can't see why anyone with LEGAL immigration issues would want to be associated with this...

Furthermore, are you saying you don't think the illegals protesting today should be deported? Would you have a problem with ICE being there & rounding up ppl?

What you described before with the guy calling the station is a bit of vigilantism (is that even a word? lol), and I don't agree with that...but I do agree that illegals who have the absolute gall to show their faces & try to use our right to protest should be sent packing.

The people with legal immigration issues are associated with this because, due to the roadblocks concerning waivers and denials and trying to work through are trying to draw attention to the problems they are facing in trying ot keep their families together. While working through these issues their spouses are not in legal status.

I would have a problem with ICE being there and rounding them up mainly due to the humane side of things. It might sound effective until you consider the possiblity of some kid coming home from school to an empty house and no idea that mom and dad were deported at the rally they attended while he was in school. Or a small child left in daycare while their parents attended only to never come home.

Since when does everyone have to have his/her cake and eat it too????? A person is illegal, then wants to protest..and *we* have to worry about his/her children? does the parent not have any responsibility to the child to not engage in activities that might result in a legal deportation?

Since when does everyone have to have his/her cake and eat it too????? A person is illegal, then wants to protest..and *we* have to worry about his/her children? does the parent not have any responsibility to the child to not engage in activities that might result in a legal deportation?

:thumbs: Right on!

I should have rented a white van and put this on the side

us_customs_enforce.jpg

made a jacket like this

us_immigration_and_customs_enforcement_arrest.jpg

and drove to some protests.

That would take some serious balls. And some good insurance on that rental. :whistle:

I know. I'm all 'talk'. I'll admit it :)

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

:yes:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm really surprised more VJ-er's are supporting the opposite side. I haven't read all of the pages in this thread, nor have I watched every news piece explaining the issues. I'm going through the legal process, as we all are, to marry a Canadian nonetheless, so I suppose this really doesn't affect me directly.

I just hurt for these families because I can understand the temptation to skip the process. The way things are going for me, it looks like it will be 9 months total before Adam gets his visa. We've been together two years, and only physically together a total of two months. Its hard, we all know that.

I have left work early today, and I won't be shopping. It isn't to intimidate our government by showing them what harm this could do to our economy, but a small amount of understanding for the families this will effect. I really wish all of the time, resources, and emotion being paid to addressing illegal immigrants was being given to reforming our system. Perhaps if the system wasn't as complicated and long as it is, so many people would avoid it.

Yes, I realize many people may skip the paperwork because they wouldn't be approved - due to criminal history etc. I don't know those statistics. I just wish there was more effort to help us, the people going by the book, and less attention on a long-existing problem we're never going to rightfully correct.

I respect all of you that were so deeply touched by this issue, whichever side you fall on.

01/19/06 I-129F sent

01/27/06 NOA-1

01/31/06 Check cashed

04/17/06 NOA-2

If we're lucky...

07/2006 Road trip moving Adam from Montreal to Florida

08/19/06 Wedding Day

Now I almost feel bad. All they could muster here in Cincinnati was a sorry crowd of maybe 50 people to march and protest downtown. Most of those were anything but illegals from what it looked like. More your retired bleeding hearts that had nothing better to do this Monday morning. ;)

So, life goes on in Cincinnati. :thumbs:

I just hurt for these families because I can understand the temptation to skip the process.

This is not about families skipping the process. :no:

It might be worth pointing out that a lot of the folks who post here angry that "we did it the hard way and illegals did it the easy way" are comparing apples and oranges. Not many of the non-USCs on VJ came here seeking a "better life"; many, if not most, of them had perfectly fine lives in their home countries, had educations and jobs and families and friends. They came here because a loved one was here and because two people decided together that the non-USC coming to the States was the best option for them both.

Meanwhile, illegal aliens who come here to work are generally here to make better lives for their families. Quite a different story. For many if not most of them, the legal channels to come here and work are quite limited, at least as it stands now.

Anyone familiar with my posts knows that I am no fan of illegal immigration or the greedy employers who perpetuate the system. But I am opposed to allowing undocumented workers continue in their present situation not because I love a "legal immigrant" and we "did things the hard way," but because I believe it perpetuates a harmful and exploitative economy. I would feel this way even if Ewen were American instead of British and I'd never heard of an I-129F.

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

I'm really surprised more VJ-er's are supporting the opposite side. I haven't read all of the pages in this thread, nor have I watched every news piece explaining the issues. I'm going through the legal process, as we all are, to marry a Canadian nonetheless, so I suppose this really doesn't affect me directly.

I just hurt for these families because I can understand the temptation to skip the process. The way things are going for me, it looks like it will be 9 months total before Adam gets his visa. We've been together two years, and only physically together a total of two months. Its hard, we all know that.

I have left work early today, and I won't be shopping. It isn't to intimidate our government by showing them what harm this could do to our economy, but a small amount of understanding for the families this will effect. I really wish all of the time, resources, and emotion being paid to addressing illegal immigrants was being given to reforming our system. Perhaps if the system wasn't as complicated and long as it is, so many people would avoid it.

Yes, I realize many people may skip the paperwork because they wouldn't be approved - due to criminal history etc. I don't know those statistics. I just wish there was more effort to help us, the people going by the book, and less attention on a long-existing problem we're never going to rightfully correct.

I respect all of you that were so deeply touched by this issue, whichever side you fall on.

I am against illegal immigration because it makes a mockery of the very system that we are trying to respect with our sacrifice of being apart.

Your suprise actuall is indicative of the overall confusion of illegal immigration with legal immigration. there's a world of difference.

I could turn your statemet around: 'I can understand the temptation to .......................................'

Yes, there's temptation. But there's also temptation for me not to steal a dress from the store cos poor me doesn't wanna pay for it.....or the temptation to rob a bank. Get my drift? There's temptation everywhere...but there's also something called personal responsibility, and as adults - and law abiding citizens, we need to keep temptation in check.

I could say 'I'm going to skip paying for something because I can't afford it' but that doesn't make it any less wrong....or would it?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
Now I almost feel bad. All they could muster here in Cincinnati was a sorry crowd of maybe 50 people to march and protest downtown. Most of those were anything but illegals from what it looked like. More your retired bleeding hearts that had nothing better to do this Monday morning. ;)

I just hurt for these families because I can understand the temptation to skip the process.

I think i saw 2 people in my city starting to protest :lol: so now its clear to go downtown and SHOP :D

oh and get some of that orange chicken :whistle:

I wonder if i can get tomorrow off if i protest USPS and Cingular :no:

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

st louis is the same...

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Agree! :thumbs:

K-1 Process

---------------------------

April 20, 2006 - Filed I-129F (Ahhhhh finally!)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED!

September 28, 2006 - Interview!

September 29, 2006 - VISA in hand!

October 14, 2006 - WEDDING DATE!

AOS & EAD Process

----------------------------

December 26, 2006 - Darcy's last day of employment on his 90-day work authorization. Bummer!

December 27, 2006 - Filed AOS and EAD paperwork

January 3, 2006 - Receipt date of NOA1

January 11, 2007 - 'touched'

January 17, 2007 - transferred to CSC

January 19, 2007 - biometrics appointment

January 22, 2007 - 'touched'

January 23, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

January 24, 2007 - 'touched'

January 31, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

February 1, 2007 - GREEN CARD ORDERED!!!

February 5, 2007 - Received Welcome Letter

February 11, 2007 - received GREEN CARD!!

Lifting Conditions

----------------------------

December 31, 2008 - filed I-751

January 10, 2009 - received 1-year extension letter

January 28, 2009 - biometrics

February 13, 2009 - 10-year green card ordered

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

st louis is the same...

I was wondering how downtown was today, dean. We plan on going shopping tonight... why? because we need food and I want to go get more baby stuff :P And to show our intent that ILLEGAL (notice I did not say Undocumented like most of them say) is WRONG.

Wrong wrong wrong. It's illegal. That's the point that I don't understand why people can't get it. There was a girl on the news last night babbling about "undocumented immigrants" and that "they have rights too." My husband (the immigrant) looked at me and said "Yeah they have the right to a 6 x 9 cell until they are deported. They broke the law, what's so hard to understand about that?" I have to say I agree with him.

March 4, 2004 NOA 1

June 29, 2004 NOA 2

August 26th -- interview date - we need to complete a I-601 waiver so it's back to waiting again

January 6, 2005 i-601 waiver approved!!!!

January 21, 2005 VISA IN HAND

February 12, 2005 WEDDING!!!!!

March 10, 2005 mailed AOS and EAD applications to Chicago

April 18, 2005 EAD and AOS receipt dates for NOA

June 30, 2005 AOS RFE evidence submitted (translated birth certificate)

August 10, 2005 ---EAD approved via infopass appointment

October 18, 2005 - AOS interview in St. Louis - received an RFE for vaccination supplement

February 9, 2006 - denial for AOS letter due to the wrong form being submitted from the doctor. PLEASE MAKE SURE THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN TO YOU!!

February 16, 2006 - USCIS accepts the motion to reopen without an additional fee - finally something goes right! We should hear from USCIS St. Louis office within 2 weeks.

April 3, 2006 - Received welcome to America letter in the mail!

April 8, 2006 - Received GC in the mail - done for 2 years!!!!

March 1, 2008 - mailed off I-751

March 3, 2008 NSC delivery confirmation

March 10, 2008 NOA 1

March 28, 2008 Biometrics appointment

Legal Permanent Resident - just waiting for time to pass for him to have eligibility for citizenship.