• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well I hope they get to VA before the end of the year lol

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

I have one question for everyone:

Tell me about the last illegal immigrant you talked to. Tell me about the last one whose reasons you know for coming here. Tell me why that person came here and why you think he or she could be sent back.

I met one last week whose parents snuck him in at the age of 2. He knows no Spanish to speak of; he has a college education here in the US. I met one who knew he shouldn't come in, but his American wife is terminally ill and his American daughter tried to kill herself, and since he was the only other family they had, he came. I met one woman with no education--at all--whose husband came illegally to the US (despite her protests) and stopped sending money back to their three small children, and said the only way he would keep supporting the children was if she brought them to the US.

If you aren't looking these people in the eye, you don't know jack ###### about them.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Timeline
Then surely if they make their way to VA they'll make their way to Georgia!

I promise if they come to VA and not to Georgia, I will drive one down to you.

Filed: Timeline

Tell me about the last illegal immigrant you talked to. Tell me about the last one whose reasons you know for coming here. Tell me why that person came here and why you think he or she could be sent back.

I met one last week whose parents snuck him in at the age of 2. He knows no Spanish to speak of; he has a college education here in the US. I met one who knew he shouldn't come in, but his American wife is terminally ill and his American daughter tried to kill herself, and since he was the only other family they had, he came. I met one woman with no education--at all--whose husband came illegally to the US (despite her protests) and stopped sending money back to their three small children, and said the only way he would keep supporting the children was if she brought them to the US.

If you aren't looking these people in the eye, you don't know jack ###### about them.

Yeah, let's just toss all the laws out. Forget about them. Those are just a royal pain in the ####### anyways. Intoxication limites for operating a motor vehicle? Who needs them? What if you're hammered and then you really need to go somewhere quick. Gotta take the car. Gotta understand. Stop signs? Who has the time? And the guy that robbed the bank just needed some cash and, seeing that he had a criminal record, couldn't make any any other way. We really ought to understand that, no? The shoplifter didn't pack enough money to pay for the merchandise he so desperately needed. So he took it and rolls the cost to the stupid rest of us. It's only fractions of a penny for each of us. No big deal, right?

Why have laws if they don't mean jack? Personal responsibility? Please, what an ancient concept. Since when are parents responsible for the fate of their children rather than the society at large? Personal responsibility is so outdated. So yesterday. Who needs it anymore?

Seriously, though, do you realize that for each of your sob-story illegals (again, they ain't immigrants) there's probably some rotten bit scum of an illegal doing time (at your expense and mine) in jail for having robbed, assaulted or even killed someone? There's a person in debt or bancrupt for having been rammed by an unlicensed and uninsured driver. No recourse for that person. There's a citizen ready to retire and can't because some illegal uses that citizens identity to work someplace else. The young family that wanted to purchase that home for and can't because their credit has been hi-jacked by an illegal. How come you not mention those?

There are various degrees of wrongfulness in this issue. I can even see trying to work something out for those that were brought here as kids and finished their school and all. Sending them packing may not seem right. Their parents, however, that brought them here - see ya'. There can't be any blanket amnesty if we are to maintain some sort of meaning of the word justice and if we are to continue on the path of a nation built on the rule of law.

Edited by ET-US2004

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Then surely if they make their way to VA they'll make their way to Georgia!

I promise if they come to VA and not to Georgia, I will drive one down to you.

Awwww....thank you! Make it one of those yummy Butter Caramel Cappuchino thingies....

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Timeline

Yeah, let's just toss all the laws out. Forget about them. Those are just a royal pain in the ####### anyways. Intoxication limites for operating a motor vehicle? Who needs them? What if you're hammered and then you really need to go somewhere quick. Gotta take the car. Gotta understand. Stop signs? Who has the time? And the guy that robbed the bank just needed some cash and, seeing that he had a criminal record, couldn't make any any other way. We really ought to understand that, no? The shoplifter didn't pack enough money to pay for the merchandise he so desperately needed. So he took it and rolls the cost to the stupid rest of us. It's only fractions of a penny for each of us. No big deal, right?

Why have laws if they don't mean jack? Personal responsibility? Please, what an ancient concept. Since when are parents responsible for the fate of their children rather than the society at large? Personal responsibility is so outdated. So yesterday. Who needs it anymore?

Seriously, though, do you realize that for each of your sob-story illegals (again, they ain't immigrants) there's probably some rotten bit scum of an illegal doing time (at your expense and mine) in jail for having robbed, assaulted or even killed someone? There's a person in debt or bancrupt for having been rammed by an unlicensed and uninsured driver. No recourse for that person. There's a citizen ready to retire and can't because some illegal uses that citizens identity to work someplace else. The young family that wanted to purchase that home for and can't because their credit has been hi-jacked by an illegal. How come you not mention those?

There are various degrees of wrongfulness in this issue. I can even see trying to work something out for those that were brought here as kids and finished their school and all. Sending them packing may not seem right. Their parents, however, that brought them here - see ya'. There can't be any blanket amnesty if we are to maintain some sort of meaning of the word justice and if we are to continue on the path of a nation built on the rule of law.

24.gif

Shout out to Welshcookie for the clap hands :)

Timeline

You betcha Karen I will do that for sure.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The problem is, if you have a rule, it must be applied to all. Once you start making gross exceptions, there is no point to have the rule. Just because mexico is attached to the USA doesn't mean there isn't deserving people from other countries who had the misfortune of being brought to this world in a country where they can not run across the border to a better life (i'm sure you can think of many other countries, where the people probably have it worse). Moreover I live in Phoenix, Arizona, I have met many many illegals, and it angers me when they work while I had to sit and wait for my EAD.. and my husband was laid off bc of the tech crash. We lived on $220 a week. I know what it's like to want a better life. And Of course they DESERVE to have a better life, but this should not be at the cost of gov't money when they're using stolen SSN's, or not paying taxes. The system IS faulty, just like our justice system, JUST LIKE ANY SYSTEM, but you make progress in small steps - not in one giant leap. And I know you may think, well you've got it easy bc you're married to a USC. My parents were immigrants to Canada. They use to be equal to what we would call "peasants". They didn't hideaway in a boat, or arrive in Canada to seek refugee status. They did it legally. But it took them years, and all they had left was 20 dollars. This story has been told many times. My husband's bestfriend's father took 8 years just to have his family immigrate to the USA. Being rich or educated didn't help them either. His father has a Ph.d from an Indian university, and they also owned a bank in India. It took 8 years for all the paperwork to clear, and I don't even want to get into the costs. if the majority of these illegals happen to be mexican, it's a very good sign Mexico needs fixing. If we grant them amnesty, many will just continually run away from the source of the problem. Everyone deserves to have a better life, I earnestly believe this. But you must attack the problem at its very root. Otherwise it's just a temporary bandaid.

Barbara (Canada) & Dallas (USC)

AOS

Nov 13 2005 EAD & I-485 sent to Chicago Lockbox

Nov 22, 2005 EAD & I-485 NOA1

Dec 15, 2005 Biometrics for EAD & I-485

Dec 19, 2005 EAD & I-485 Touched

Jan 21, 2006 Rec'd I-485 Fingerprint Reschedule Notice (AHHH!!!)

Feb 10, 2006 Fingerprint App't

Feb 1, 2006 EAD Approved!!!!

Feb 11, 2006 Rec'd EAD card

Feb 13, 2006 Applied for SSN

Feb 17, 2006 Rec'd SSN

Feb 23, 2006 I-485 Transferred to CSC (AHHH!!)

Mar 02, 2006 I-485 Has been received at CSC

Mar 13, 2006 I-485 Touched

Mar 14, 2006 I-485 Touched

Apr 15 & 25 2006 emailed CSC for status inquiry on I-485

Apr 26 2006 received a response from CSC, another response in 60 days (ahhhhh!!!)

Apr 27, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 17, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 19, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 20, 2006 I-485 Touched

July 3, 2006 emailed CSC again, no response given in the allotted 60 days time frame.

July 27, 2006 received a response from CSC, another response will be given in 30 days.. ha ha ha.

***app sent back to Missouri ***app sent to Chicago

Aug 21 2006 touched

Sept 29 2006 3rd year Anniversay

October 13, 2006 Immigration Interview - Need to return with Long Form Birth Certificate

October 13, 2006 Long Form Birth Cert ordered with expediated shipping

October 18, 2006 Birth Cert Received

October 19, 2006 2nd Immigration Interview - APPROVED

5-20 business days for the Green Card to arrive, maybe I'll be back to see my family before Christmas?

:thumbs:

Married 12-30-05

Started our visa journey Jan 06.

01-06 - I-130, K3 shortly after

04-06 - switched to Canada Immigration

07-06 - Moved to Canada (PR almost complete)

07-06 - Changed again, back to US imm.

09-06 - Landed as Canadian PR

10-06 - DCF Toronto, Approved in 1.5 hrs!

11-06 - Interview Montreal (success!)

I-130

10-05-06 DCF in Toronto - Approved

10-19-06 Packet 3 received & sent back

10-20-06 Montreal receives P3

11-03-06 Packet 4 received

11-06-06 Medical

11-22-06 Interview / Visa approved

11-26-06 heading home, 6 day drive, my oh my

HOME SWEET HOME

10.24.08 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

Delivered at 9:03 AM on October 25, 2008

10.29.08 NOA1

10.30.08 Check cashed

12.06.08 Biometrics Appt.

12.19.08 Received new Drivers License extended to 2011

03.12.09 Received CONGRATULATIONS letter - Card on the way!!

03.20.09 Received his SHINY new card. WOO HOOOOOOO

YAY!! We can take a break from this madness until Citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
The problem is, if you have a rule, it must be applied to all. Once you start making gross exceptions, there is no point to have the rule. Just because mexico is attached to the USA doesn't mean there isn't deserving people from other countries who had the misfortune of being brought to this world in a country where they can not run across the border to a better life (i'm sure you can think of many other countries, where the people probably have it worse). Moreover I live in Phoenix, Arizona, I have met many many illegals, and it angers me when they work while I had to sit and wait for my EAD.. and my husband was laid off bc of the tech crash. We lived on $220 a week. I know what it's like to want a better life. And Of course they DESERVE to have a better life, but this should not be at the cost of gov't money when they're using stolen SSN's, or not paying taxes. The system IS faulty, just like our justice system, JUST LIKE ANY SYSTEM, but you make progress in small steps - not in one giant leap. And I know you may think, well you've got it easy bc you're married to a USC. My parents were immigrants to Canada. They use to be equal to what we would call "peasants". They didn't hideaway in a boat, or arrive in Canada to seek refugee status. They did it legally. But it took them years, and all they had left was 20 dollars. This story has been told many times. My husband's bestfriend's father took 8 years just to have his family immigrate to the USA. Being rich or educated didn't help them either. His father has a Ph.d from an Indian university, and they also owned a bank in India. It took 8 years for all the paperwork to clear, and I don't even want to get into the costs. if the majority of these illegals happen to be mexican, it's a very good sign Mexico needs fixing. If we grant them amnesty, many will just continually run away from the source of the problem. Everyone deserves to have a better life, I earnestly believe this. But you must attack the problem at its very root. Otherwise it's just a temporary bandaid.

:yes:

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"