LaurenR

Very Overwhelmed

42 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Some Lawyers will do pro-bono work, call around and see what you can have done for help. I had a lawyer just to look over the paperwork and he did it pro-bono for me. And some have to take on those free cases i believe 2 a year. So just call around and see what help you can get.

kid_brooklyn....who cares is RJ is an immigration lawyer or not, she gave awesome advice.

I hired a lawyer and I am not having a good experience with it. I end up telling him more info about the process.

You need an immigration attorney, not just any attorney.

and duh, i think thats a given as its dealing with immigration.

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline
I'm just jealous that some people can afford a lawyer, and make multiple visits to their SO, on top of all the visa process fees. If I could afford a lawyer, I'd be using that money to go and see my fiancee, or saving it just incase we need it later.

Delilah's Man -

Did you look to the Embassy Forum wherein I tried to answer your questions of yesterday?

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline
I'm just jealous that some people can afford a lawyer, and make multiple visits to their SO, on top of all the visa process fees. If I could afford a lawyer, I'd be using that money to go and see my fiancee, or saving it just incase we need it later.

Delilah's Man -

Did you look to the Embassy Forum wherein I tried to answer your questions of yesterday?

In regards to the I-134 sponsor form? I believe I read all your posts :thumbs:

Petition sent: 12/10/2010

Arrived at service center: 12/14/2010

First NOA: 12/16/2010

Touched: 12/31/2010

Second NOA: 05/24/2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Talking about trying to afford everything, since your fiance was here for a good few years before, did he have any strong stance in the community? Because of the kids especially, it's a case people could get pretty compassionate about. I'm thinking that if your fiance had the same job that whole time, or went to a church, or any sort of community center, etc. - any circle of friends - that maybe you could get proactive and try taking up a collection? Especially if there's an ethnic community from wherever he's from, I'd imagine they'd be more understanding and maybe try to help more?

It does sound like a scary situation and if that were me I'd try to get an immigration lawyer...Have you looked at the K3 at all instead of the K1? I don't know much about it, but maybe if you guys marry first (like if you go visit him and marry) then the US can't or is much less likely to deny your petition? I think the K3 is also a bit cheaper in the long run to process...

Summer 2001 - met my Scottish boy

December 18th, 2007 - proposal in Madrid's Botanical Gardens with a duck standing behind him going 'food?'

January 18th, 2008 - I-129F sent to VSC

January 31st, 2008 - received NOA1, issued Jan. 24 :)

February 24th, 2008 - NOA2; omgwtfbbqlolz

February 29th, 2008 - NVC letter sent

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Thanks to everyone for all the awesome advise and good wishes! I've been looking around for immigration attorneys in my area and was offered a consultation for $200! I'm still looking and plan on making lots of calls today. I wasn't sure if immigration lawyers did pro bono work but I'm deffinatly going to check into that. We might be able to ask a few friends for assistance. I thought I would go with the K-1 Visa because I heard it was quicker and I'd like to have family at my wedding. Honestly, I think it would be easier (and cheaper) for the government to allow him to immigrate into the US then for the government to continue to pay for supporting my children for the next 17 years lol. I would also hope that they wouldn't tear a family apart.

Ok, I'm off to call the attorneys! Thanks again everyone!

Edited by LaurenR

Our Timeline

October 2002- Met and fell in love

February 4 2004- Julian is born

February 12 2007- Vera is born

March 21 2007- Rodolfo leaves the US (voluntary departure)

April 2 2008- Met with attorney to talk about the case

4727.gif

us-flag.gifguat.gif

"When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

1.png

Does everyone feel so overwhelmed by all these forms and stuff??

A few other questions:

Is it more helpful to hire a lawyer to help with this process? And what form do I fill out if I can't support my fiance but could have a relative sponcer him? And my last question, can he work once he's here on the K-1 Visa?

Lots of people are eally unhappy with the job their lawyersa are doing.

Once a cople hired a lawyer, and that one was supposed to get everything(RFE, NOA's) on his address, and he got an RFE, but remembered to say about that about 6 months later.

And, if you hire him, you're doing most of the job anyway.

sorry for my spelling, i was rushing :blush:

.png

UURI.jpg

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
Well, our case is different because he was in the US illegally from 2002-2007 (a fact I didn't know until much later) and we have two children. He wasn't deported out of the country but left voluntary. The judge we spoke to let him stay in the US until our daughter was born and told him that he shouldn't have any issues getting a Visa to enter the US. I'm just concerned that something might go wrong or that that might get in the way. I need him here to help rasie our children and I am so nervous that I'm going to mess something up.

In your case talking to a lawyer is a very good idea...but make sure that you are prepared to ask the right questions. Find out about the times involved in procesing the I-129F, the additional costs for the actual visa application, medical costs and interview fee. Make sure that he/she explains about the automatic denial that he will receive for his illegal presence in the US, and the waiver process that will be required to overcome this automatic bar to re-entry. Discuss the specific evidence that will be required for a successful waiver...times will vary depending upon the country. The fact that he left voluntarily is a plus for you. I have no idea why a judge told you that he should have no problem. What kind of judge??

You will also have issues on providing evidence of being able to support your fiancee.

Should you chose to use a lawyer for all phases.....you are looking at $4000-5000 as waivers require very specific documentation.

The basic answers to many of your questions can be answered here by posing the the proper question of what part you dont understand.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
Thanks to everyone for all the awesome advise and good wishes! I've been looking around for immigration attorneys in my area and was offered a consultation for $200! I'm still looking and plan on making lots of calls today. I wasn't sure if immigration lawyers did pro bono work but I'm deffinatly going to check into that. We might be able to ask a few friends for assistance. I thought I would go with the K-1 Visa because I heard it was quicker and I'd like to have family at my wedding. Honestly, I think it would be easier (and cheaper) for the government to allow him to immigrate into the US then for the government to continue to pay for supporting my children for the next 17 years lol. I would also hope that they wouldn't tear a family apart.

Ok, I'm off to call the attorneys! Thanks again everyone!

The government will have no heart...they can only follow the laws as authorized by Congress.

Living on govt support will only be a major negative....you will need someone who will co-sponser your fiance....there is no cost-benefit analysis.....they can only do what the law requires and authorizes.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Other Timeline
Well, our case is different because he was in the US illegally from 2002-2007 (a fact I didn't know until much later) and we have two children. He wasn't deported out of the country but left voluntary. The judge we spoke to let him stay in the US until our daughter was born and told him that he shouldn't have any issues getting a Visa to enter the US. I'm just concerned that something might go wrong or that that might get in the way. I need him here to help rasie our children and I am so nervous that I'm going to mess something up.

In your case talking to a lawyer is a very good idea...but make sure that you are prepared to ask the right questions. Find out about the times involved in procesing the I-129F, the additional costs for the actual visa application, medical costs and interview fee. Make sure that he/she explains about the automatic denial that he will receive for his illegal presence in the US, and the waiver process that will be required to overcome this automatic bar to re-entry. Discuss the specific evidence that will be required for a successful waiver...times will vary depending upon the country. The fact that he left voluntarily is a plus for you. I have no idea why a judge told you that he should have no problem. What kind of judge??

You will also have issues on providing evidence of being able to support your fiancee.

Should you chose to use a lawyer for all phases.....you are looking at $4000-5000 as waivers require very specific documentation.

The basic answers to many of your questions can be answered here by posing the the proper question of what part you dont understand.

Excellent advice!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

I'm sorry, I havent figured out how to quote yet but to rebeccajo: So I should plan for an automatic denial and going through the hole waiver process?

And to desert_fox: I've been talking to my father about being his co-sponser unless I am able to get on my feet any time soon.

Our Timeline

October 2002- Met and fell in love

February 4 2004- Julian is born

February 12 2007- Vera is born

March 21 2007- Rodolfo leaves the US (voluntary departure)

April 2 2008- Met with attorney to talk about the case

4727.gif

us-flag.gifguat.gif

"When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

1.png

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello.........

Are all you anti-lawyer immigration experts reading Post #3 wherein the OP states their case is "a little bit different"?

Are you just opening your mouths and openly deciding, without knowing the details of the case, that a lawyer is unnceccessary?

I am very sorry to be harsh in my admonitions, but really folks, this is serious business. Every case is different. And every case has details that we as readers likely never see written down in the forums. Do any of you ever want to be responsible, with your advice, no matter how well intentioned it might be, to cause someone go down a road that could lead to their case being denied?

Please be careful what you post. Please.

I'm in agreement RJ, I don't think the answer to "do I need a lawyer?" should automatically be no. My personal opinion is that it will wind up being "no" in the vast majority of cases, but I also recognize that there are times when a lawyer is either necessary or at least provides a service that the filer is willing to pay for instead of doing it themselves. I also believe that the vast majority of immigration lawyers don't screw up to near the extent that is claimed on these boards. However, I think the onus is on the OP to provide the necessary details of his case if he's asking for the advice. Granted, repliers might want to ask about what those circumstances are, but posters need to understand that answers are only going to be as helpful as the information they provide.

So...having said that...OP, what are your special circumstances? :)

Mebbe they don't wanna post it on a message board? Not everything is our business, yaknow.....

This post made me laugh... probably a lawyer!!! I've had several dealings with lawyers and most were negative. I know that they are necessary in some situations but honestly if you have attention to detail and do your research it is highly unlikely that a lawyer needs to be involved. :blink:
FamilyGuy_SavingPrivateBrian_v2f_72_1161823205-000.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.