Gra and Daniel

Vehicular Homicide

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I pleaded guilty to vehicular homicide (friend died in my car after accident). After reading the criminal disclosure section countless times and not being able to justify by the letter a reason to mark "yes" to their questions, I called USCIS cust. service before application submission and I asked them if I should check any part of the criminal section on the K1 application seing that this was a serious crime. They said no and I sent in the application with no check marks or explanations letters. You see, my crime was neither manslaugher or homicide (murder), it was Vehicular homicide, which was not on the application. I want to believe what the the customer rep. told me but like so many of us on this forum, they are are at the very least, hard to trust. In either case, I am sweating a little bit because I sent my application in April 2007 and I know that at this point my application has been thru and advanced security check and has finally been sent back to CSC after being sent to whatever agency it was sent to. I guess my question is, what do you good people of this forum think my final adjudication be after leaving everything blank on my application? Opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

If one runs your name through a criminal records check, would this charge show up?

And are you the USC or foreign fiance?

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I-129F section about criminal activity has to do with violent crimes, such as:

1. Domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse and neglect, dating violence, elder abuse, and stalking.

The term "domestic violence" includes felony or misdemeanor crimes of violence committed by a current or former spouse of the victim, by a person with whom the victim shares a child in common, by a person who is cohabitating with or has cohabitated with the victim as a spouse, by a person similarly situated to a spouse of the victim under the domestic or family violence laws of the jurisdiction receiving grant monies, or by any other person against an adult or youth victim who is protected from that person's acts under the domestic or family violence laws of the jurisdiction.

2. Homicide, murder, manslaughter, rape, abusive sexual contact, sexual exploitation, incest, torture,trafficking, peonage, holding hostage, involuntary servitude, slave trade, kidnapping, abduction,unlawful criminal restraint, false imprisonment, or an attempt to commit any of these crimes.

3. Crimes relating to a controlled substance or alcohol on three or more occasions, and such crimes did not arise from a single act.
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-129Finstr.pdf

The form makes no distinction it just says homicide.

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

This for me, is an interesting comment as I am in a very similar position. I was charged in 2000 with vehicular manslaughter (my brother in my car) whilst visiting the US (I am non US applying for K3). I pleaded 'no-contest', was never arrested and had a probabtion period and fine. When I fill in the form I am expecting to tick 'yes'. However I have been through the visa legislation and vehicular manslaughter is not an inadmissable offence and is not deemed a crime of moral turpitude. Therefore I still plan on ticking 'yes' but will be arguing if need be that it is not grounds to deny a visa. However now I have read your thread (Gra and Daniel) I will be very interested to hear of your outcome or any further details.

All the best

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
This for me, is an interesting comment as I am in a very similar position. I was charged in 2000 with vehicular manslaughter (my brother in my car) whilst visiting the US (I am non US applying for K3). I pleaded 'no-contest', was never arrested and had a probabtion period and fine. When I fill in the form I am expecting to tick 'yes'. However I have been through the visa legislation and vehicular manslaughter is not an inadmissable offence and is not deemed a crime of moral turpitude. Therefore I still plan on ticking 'yes' but will be arguing if need be that it is not grounds to deny a visa. However now I have read your thread (Gra and Daniel) I will be very interested to hear of your outcome or any further details.

All the best

I suspect the OP is the US Citizen petitioner, dealing with the IMBRA section of the I-129F petition form.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

All the best

I suspect the OP is the US Citizen petitioner, dealing with the IMBRA section of the I-129F petition form.

Correct, I am the US Citizen. And as per falling under the umbrella of manslaughter.... I would have to say you may have a point but at the same time, don't some types of un-premeditated murders get plead down to manslaughter thus totally seperating it from an accidental vehicular homicide resulting from a car wreck. I would have to say yes. This incident DID involved alcohol and yes, it would most definetely show up on a records check. I would have nothing to hide as it would be impossible anyway. I would have most definetely included it in my initial application but like so many things, I do not want to open up an excuse for unnessary red tape and delays. It really doesnt matter at this point, I am going on 335 days since NOA1 and I just want it to get approval at this point. Thanks for the responses... keep them coming.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Correct, I am the US Citizen. And as per falling under the umbrella of manslaughter.... I would have to say you may have a point but at the same time, don't some types of un-premeditated murders get plead down to manslaughter thus totally seperating it from an accidental vehicular homicide resulting from a car wreck. I would have to say yes. This incident DID involved alcohol and yes, it would most definetely show up on a records check. I would have nothing to hide as it would be impossible anyway. I would have most definetely included it in my initial application but like so many things, I do not want to open up an excuse for unnessary red tape and delays. It really doesnt matter at this point, I am going on 335 days since NOA1 and I just want it to get approval at this point. Thanks for the responses... keep them coming.

Vehicular homicide is not considered manslaughter. It's considered negligent homicide. It's lower than manslaughter.

Was alcohol or controlled substances a factor, and would that fact show up on a police report?

If it involved alcohol or a controlled substance it would count towards one of the three instances. Do you have other instances, say of DUIs?

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Timeline

Vehicular homicide is not considered manslaughter. It's considered negligent homicide. It's lower than manslaughter.

Was alcohol or controlled substances a factor, and would that fact show up on a police report?

If it involved alcohol or a controlled substance it would count towards one of the three instances. Do you have other instances, say of DUIs?

No, nothing, although during the same incident I also pleaded guilty to DUI with Serious Bodily injury resulting from the same accident. This has been the only time I have ever been in any legal trouble.

Edited by Gra and Daniel

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

pled guilty but what sentence? deferred? you may qualify for expungement then it wouldnt show up on a record check if u could get a total exp.

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
This thread is under the similar topics box below... may help you.

It was started by the OP :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline
This thread is under the similar topics box below... may help you.

It was started by the OP :)

No way to get expunged. I plead guilty in lieu of going to trial. I received a little prison time and years and years of probation. Only way to get it off record would be a Governor pardon. May be an option in future after I show all the community work I have done at local High Schools. But right now, all I want is to get a USCIS approval.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.