PalestineMyHeart

Want a Million Bucks ?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Odds are there's no 'holy war' in Qur'an

By JEFF STRICKLER, Star Tribune

Want $1 million? All you have to do is find a reference in the Qur'an to "holy war."

The offer is being made by Jamal Badawi, professor emeritus of management and religious studies at St. Mary's University in Halifax, Nova Scotia. His only requirement is that the reference be in the original Arabic, not an English translation of the holy Islamic text.

Is that $1 million Canadian or American? "It doesn't matter," Badawi said. "It can be a million Canadian, a million U.S. or even a million euro [which would be worth almost $1.5 million]. I don't have that much money, anyway. I've been making the offer ever since 2001. I've never had a taker, and I never will."

Badawi was in the Twin Cities a week ago as part of a continuing effort to combat negative stereotypes about Muslims and violence, especially terrorism. He said that one of the biggest misconceptions he encounters is that the Qur'an promotes war, especially against those of different faiths.

"There is nothing in the Qur'an that says you should fight someone because they are of a different religion," he said. "Just the opposite is true. In its writings on other faith communities, it encourages dealing with them with kindness and justice."

The only time war is mentioned is in passages saying that believers can defend themselves from attack or oppression. Asked if a Muslim who sees the West as a threat could interpret that as an endorsement of a preemptive attack, Badawi said, "Humans have an inexhaustible ability to justify the wrong they're doing. It's no different than a Christian who is opposed to abortion using that as justification for bombing an abortion clinic. He's not indicative of Christians as a whole. He's a religious extremist, and the same term applies to anyone who plants a bomb in the name of their god. ... The ends do not justify the means in Islamic philosophy."

Badawi also mentioned the news media's misappropriation of the term "jihad," often using it as a label for Muslim aggression.

"It means to exert maximum effort, to strive to the utmost of your ability," he said. "It is not a synonym for war."

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/faith/16116652.html

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
"There is nothing in the Qur'an that says you should fight someone because they are of a different religion," he said. "Just the opposite is true. In its writings on other faith communities, it encourages dealing with them with kindness and justice."

:yes:

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
:rolleyes: Is there anything in there about suicide bombers? Killing innocent children? Oh wait, maybe its ok because they do cover "martyrs", right? Yeah, whatever.

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Then why don't more Muslims SPEAK UP!!

The silence is practically a sign of approval.

They do. You're just not LISTENING.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Timeline
:rolleyes: Is there anything in there about suicide bombers? Killing innocent children? Oh wait, maybe its ok because they do cover "martyrs", right? Yeah, whatever.

What are you babbling about ? Can't you read ?

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

They all seem to publicly condemn the actions of Muslim terrorists, yet those same terrorists are screaming the fact that they are doing what they're doing in the name of their Allah. Please...

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

31 May 08 - Married

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Of course, Muslims do. For example, please read the following link from Council On American-Islamic Relations, a leading Islamic group in USA, website:

http://www.cair.com/AmericanMuslims/AntiTerrorism.aspx

By the way, the word "jihad" does not mean "holy war." It means "Internal Struggle," a person's struggle within his/her soul.

Edited by simple_male

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Of course, Muslims do.

The ones that can make a change don't..................I hear empty rhetoric and see none setting the example.

Timeline
They all seem to publicly condemn the actions of Muslim terrorists, yet those same terrorists are screaming the fact that they are doing what they're doing in the name of their Allah. Please...

Which part of this did you not understand:

The only time war is mentioned is in passages saying that believers can defend themselves from attack or oppression. Asked if a Muslim who sees the West as a threat could interpret that as an endorsement of a preemptive attack, Badawi said, "Humans have an inexhaustible ability to justify the wrong they're doing. It's no different than a Christian who is opposed to abortion using that as justification for bombing an abortion clinic. He's not indicative of Christians as a whole. He's a religious extremist, and the same term applies to anyone who plants a bomb in the name of their god. ... The ends do not justify the means in Islamic philosophy."

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Of course, Muslims do.

The ones that can make a change don't..................I hear empty rhetoric and see none setting the example.

Please read my edited post. I gave some condemnation examples by CAIR (Council on American Islamic Relations). But the link is here again:

http://www.cair.com/AmericanMuslims/AntiTerrorism.aspx

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

LOL, Jeff Strickler used to be a movie critic for the Star-Tribune. He got reorganized to sh!tty religion writer in an attempt to make him quit I suppose.

You'll need a Venn Diagram to explain this to some people. There is a low tolerance for comprehending these kind of "if they are in group a, it doesn't necessarily follow that they are also in group b, although there are people who are in both group a and group b and those who are in neither group" concepts :P

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

May I play devils advocate.. as I love this role :devil:

Arent there MANY christians,catholics and such that kill.bomb ect abortion clinics? They do it in the name of GOD right?.. so does that mean that I, being christian, support that? Do they represent the whole faith? oh ya, its IGNORANCE and fear that breeds terror and hate.

and you say that "they" publicly condemn the actions.. but "the same terrorists" so, these are one in the same group? am i understanding this correctly?

P.S-there are also mentally ill people who say "god told them to do it"

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Timeline

What are you babbling about ? Can't you read ?

Oh that's right. they're killing for peace. I have read the bible. And believe it or not I have read the Quran. I spent a year studying different religions and comparing views. And believe me one year was enough. I don't agree with any brainwashing in any form. Don't really care in which language its printed. If the Quran really preaches peace, then please explain the millions of senseless murders for Allah. It may not directly say "Holy War", nor does it say anything about living the way extremists have. They've interpretted the Quran in a way that suits them. But the facts are there. Muslims have gotten a really bad rep thanks to these extremists. They created "Holy War". Why wont decent Muslims who practice peaceful living and tollerance stand up and fight these extremists?? They watch as the massacres happen. as the wars continue. Do you know how many wars have been fought for "God"? Oh my God is better than yours. No mine is better. You must live like we do. No, you must live like we do. This is my holy land. No, its mine. Get a f*^% grip! We're all human. here's your banana.

31 May 08 - Married

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received