Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 6)

13,621 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Y'all must be reading my mind today, i was just talking to my friend about this same subject earlier. I really have my heart on getting married in JA, but of course with the visa process, since we are planning on doing the K1 that cant happen. We have discussed having a NONLEGAL ceremony on the beach in May( which is what i want, i want to have my friends fly down to be there) and then just going the justice of the peace route when he actually gets here. I have heard others mention that you have to be careful with the nonlegal ceremony route( im not sure why) im thinking that if you showed pictures( that the Embassy, may think it is a legal marriage and deny yoU????? Im just grasping at straws here) Can anyone clarify for me? ( i mean obviously, i wouldnt be stupid enough to present those photos at my interview, so im just wondering.

I'm not sure about the details of a NON-Legal ceremony but i'm guessing folks are saying "be careful" cause it probably has something to do with not wanting the embassy/ INS to think you got married in JA if your supposed to be doing a K-1. Not really sure, but yeah....I know what u mean about wanting to have some sort of ceremony or recognition in JA, even if it's not the "real" thing. LOL

We're doing the JP route here and then going back down later this year to celebrate with my family and his. We decided not to do anything big up here cause there really wouldn't be anybody at the ceremony on his behalf. Besides, I'll be ready for a vacation/ honeymoon by then!

K-1 Timeline

Oct.5th, 2007 - Filed I-129F VSC Express Mail

Oct.12th, 2007 - NOA1 Hardcopy

Dec.14th, 2007 - Rec'd No Impediment and extras of Birth Certif. by mail

Jan. 31st, 2008 - NOA2 Hardcopy sent out from VSC

Feb. 5th, 2008 - NVC Receives Our Case

Feb.7th, 2008 - Got KNG# and Hardcopy of NOA2 in the Mail

Feb. 26th, 2008 - Dropped off DS230 Part I, Rec'd Packet 3; Filed for Police Report

Feb. 28th, 2008 - Rec'd Email from Embassy that Interview scheduled

April 1st, 2008 - Interview @ 1:30pm- APPROVED!!!

May 20th, 2008 - U.S. Entry at JFK w/ work stamp

June 13th, 2008 - SS# Received

June 19th, 2008 - Started work w/ JFK EAD

August 11th, 2008 - Wedding

AOS Timeline

Oct. 3rd, 2008 - Submitted AOS/ EAD/ AP Packet

Oct. 6th, 2008 - AOS Packet Rec'd at USCIS Xpress Mail

Oct. 13th, 2008 - NOA1 Rec'd

Oct. 27th, 2008 - Case Trsf to CSC

Nov. 1st, 2008 - Biometrics Appt.

Dec. 10, 2008 - EAD/AP Approved

Dec. 17, 2008 - Received EAD/AP : )

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Y'all must be reading my mind today, i was just talking to my friend about this same subject earlier. I really have my heart on getting married in JA, but of course with the visa process, since we are planning on doing the K1 that cant happen. We have discussed having a NONLEGAL ceremony on the beach in May( which is what i want, i want to have my friends fly down to be there) and then just going the justice of the peace route when he actually gets here. I have heard others mention that you have to be careful with the nonlegal ceremony route( im not sure why) im thinking that if you showed pictures( that the Embassy, may think it is a legal marriage and deny yoU????? Im just grasping at straws here) Can anyone clarify for me? ( i mean obviously, i wouldnt be stupid enough to present those photos at my interview, so im just wondering.

Actually that's exactly it Honey. It seems crazy yes, but it has been known to happen on many occasions...just check out some of the other forums. And with JA, I wouldn't give them anything else to question--the less confused those people are the better!! :lol::lol: What you could do is do the JP in the states, and go ahead and file for the AP. This will give you time to plan a trip down to JA for you and your friends and do a really nice ceremony down there. That will give your friends time to get their schedules and money together, etc and everything will fall into place. Good luck!! I just read in another forum that one lady just lost her husband (they had only been married for a month, and he had not yet made it over here). This is one of my biggest fears--something happening (God forbid) to my husband and we not be together. Please pray for her (Henna Rose)

4ABAm4.png

Removing Conditions:

10/27/11: Petition mailed to VSC

10/28/11: Package received and signed for by Renaud

10/31/11: NOA1

Timeline

I know, i guess i just have my hear set on getting married in JA, and i dont want to get sidetracked once D gets here and then we cant afford to go back to JA anytime soon, or we get sidetracked with our day to day lives.

I know, i guess i just have my hear set on getting married in JA, and i dont want to get sidetracked once D gets here and then we cant afford to go back to JA anytime soon, or we get sidetracked with our day to day lives.

Honey, I understand how you are feeling, that was one of the reasons, Joe and I decided to get married in Jamaica because I wanted to be married there in one of the old chuches with a warm breeze blowing off of the water and now I am misearable with filing for the K3. Now everyone is telling me it could take up to a 1 to be completed. Like today, he is having a pity party. Life sucks, and everything is going to take to long. Why don't I just give up everything and move there. We will be poor together, (broke). Trust him, he will make it right. All the right words, but reality sets in. We both need to work and live here in the USA for awhile. This is what happens when you party too much, you start thinking about your problems after the good times are over.

I will have to find some way to cheer him up.

Roxcie

Timeline

Roxcie, i am so inpatient and me and D havent even filed yet!!! But the distance and seperation is already taking a toll on me. I tell D, when i retire i will move to JA, and we will spend 6 months on the island and 6 months in the states.

Roxcie, i thought if you married in JA it was a CR1? and how long has it been since you started the initial process?

Roxcie, i am so inpatient and me and D havent even filed yet!!! But the distance and seperation is already taking a toll on me. I tell D, when i retire i will move to JA, and we will spend 6 months on the island and 6 months in the states.

Roxcie, i thought if you married in JA it was a CR1? and how long has it been since you started the initial process?

Honeychild, we were married in Feb 2008, but I just mailed the i130 out yesterday. We initially thought my husband was going to return on his work visa to the USA to a job that was waiting for him, but when the company realized he had married a USA citizen, they didn't want to sponsor his visa. So now we are going to go the spouse visa route.

Roxcie

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm not sure about the details of a NON-Legal ceremony but i'm guessing folks are saying "be careful" cause it probably has something to do with not wanting the embassy/ INS to think you got married in JA if your supposed to be doing a K-1. Not really sure, but yeah....I know what u mean about wanting to have some sort of ceremony or recognition in JA, even if it's not the "real" thing. LOL

We're doing the JP route here and then going back down later this year to celebrate with my family and his. We decided not to do anything big up here cause there really wouldn't be anybody at the ceremony on his behalf. Besides, I'll be ready for a vacation/ honeymoon by then!

Hello everyone

I am doing the non legal ceromony in Oct. If anybody have any do's or don'ts that they heard please share. To be on the safe side we are going to do it after the interview.

Timeline

Hello everyone

I am doing the non legal ceromony in Oct. If anybody have any do's or don'ts that they heard please share. To be on the safe side we are going to do it after the interview.

Hi, Jski.....when is your interview? so your going to do the interview, go to the states and then do what? go before a JP or have a legal wedding?

As for the non legal ceremony, I would read the other sites on what has be said and what has happen to others who have done the non legal ceremony route before I commit to it.

Be Bless

Roxcie

Edited by RoxcieJoe

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Honeychild, we were married in Feb 2008, but I just mailed the i130 out yesterday. We initially thought my husband was going to return on his work visa to the USA to a job that was waiting for him, but when the company realized he had married a USA citizen, they didn't want to sponsor his visa. So now we are going to go the spouse visa route.

Roxcie

that is messed up

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

Timeline

Roxcie, how would i find that info on VJ about nonlegal ceremonies, is there a link for it or a search engine? I dont necessarily find VJ to be very user friendly, I swear there should be a user manual for some of the icons and things on here LOL

Yeah, that has been a bummer for us, because we were all set to do an AOS when he got here. So not only does he not have the job he was counting on, but he is only doing part-time work in JA now. So the funds are short. That's another story another day. His brother who works for the same company is here in the states, so I see my brother-in-law on a regular basis, but not my husband.

Roxcie

Roxcie, how would i find that info on VJ about nonlegal ceremonies, is there a link for it or a search engine? I dont necessarily find VJ to be very user friendly, I swear there should be a user manual for some of the icons and things on here LOL

Honey, where you read about it happen the most is in the Africia and India sites. So many of them have been denied K1 visa, because they have had the ceremonies, and USCIS are saying they are legal and now they need to file for a K3 or CR1.

Roxcie

Timeline

Yeah, i see that, i just looked it up in the search engines, though i find it incredibly umm not smart, to provide photos of a wedding ceremony to immigration...WTH??? i guess i will just have to wait and have my ceremony in JA maybe at our first wedding anniversary

ladies, I know alot of us wants to slim down. why don't we have a three to five month slim down contest and motivate each other into excersizing and the one aho has lost the most gets some time of prise that we all agree upon.

Roxcie

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.