Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 6)

13,621 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
alright Ms. Lawny and Mrs Young, im gonna need some Patois lessons soon, my SO's brother talks so dang fast till 95% of the time im only understanding every other word. My SO rarely speaks Patois too me, though i ask him too all the time and he appreciates that im really trying hard to learn, but does the understanding come in hearing it more or understanding it phonetically? :huh:

I can understand the spoken word but have a really hard time with it written.

JG -- you've always done well understanding what's written.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
alright Ms. Lawny and Mrs Young, im gonna need some Patois lessons soon, my SO's brother talks so dang fast till 95% of the time im only understanding every other word. My SO rarely speaks Patois too me, though i ask him too all the time and he appreciates that im really trying hard to learn, but does the understanding come in hearing it more or understanding it phonetically? :huh:

I am just the opposite. i thought I had a pretty good hold on it cuz i can read very well and and write it OK...

RG never really spoke it much, but when I went to Ft Lauderdale or "lil Jamaica" lol I was sadly brought back to reality that I am a dunce. I couldn't understand but bits and pieces and then they had the nerve to put in a stage play.. it was hilarious cuz everybody was laughing and I was sitting there..Rg kept trying to translate but that was just too much and its not even funny anymore by the time I get it LOL

it because of the rhythm of how the words are delivered..its very different so I have to have him slow down and then I know what he was saying..

I then I hate hate hate to try to speak it, RG is always telling me to say it again so he can laugh.. i know he doesn't mean much, he wants me to learn, its just probably a hoot to hear my southern twang trying to speak Jamaican. him sey.. baby u sound like an African, u ain't speaking no African LOL

Timeline

You know what it does to me though.

You all ready for Wednesday, Tre?

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

You know what's funny a MAJORITY of Jamaicans do not know how to write in PATWAH and I find that hysterical. I wrote a note to my fiance and he told me it was gibberish.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

tep aff a mi name

Yes, I'm ready now. I love my dress it's cream and I can wear it anywhere. It's beautiful, doesn't look like a wedding dress at all and the funny thing is it was 2 guys that was at the shop that suggested it. I didn't want a dress. Skirt, blouse and flipflops would have done me fine...but my sister and friends were tripping so I went to David's bridal $99 sale..dress ending up being $79 it was originally $1100 ( I was like WHAT)...that looks like a nightgown, just a little thicker. The dress was from 2 summers ago, old style and discountinued. Now, all I need is some heels, since my so is 6'5...I still thinking about the flip flops. :devil:

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

Yes, I'm ready now. I love my dress it's cream and I can wear it anywhere. It's beautiful, doesn't look like a wedding dress at all and the funny thing is it was 2 guys that was at the shop that suggested it. I didn't want a dress. Skirt, blouse and flipflops would have done me fine...but my sister and friends were tripping so I went to David's bridal $99 sale..dress ending up being $79 it was originally $1100 ( I was like WHAT)...that looks like a nightgown, just a little thicker. The dress was from 2 summers ago, old style and discountinued. Now, all I need is some heels, since my so is 6'5...I still thinking about the flip flops. :devil:

I was barefoot.

Your dress sounds lovely. I can't wait to see pictures of that beautiful smiling face! His too!!!!!!

You know what's funny a MAJORITY of Jamaicans do not know how to write in PATWAH and I find that hysterical. I wrote a note to my fiance and he told me it was gibberish.

I've heard and read Patois in so many different ways. Even the books that are written to teach you how to write or speak it can't conform to any uniformity.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

patwah is not a language..there is no standard for it..sooo everyone in different parishes speak with a different dialect...so a just really wah mek sense to u :)

mi just write wah come a mi mind and most time it mek some sort of sense....

Lawny..mi cyaa wait fi si yuh pics..

And Gilli dat rass ooman is a mess...a woulda step right pass her...she no ave so reason fi know who Ken is...and mi glad how lite her up inna one descent way....brite

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

I was barefoot.

Your dress sounds lovely. I can't wait to see pictures of that beautiful smiling face! His too!!!!!!

I've heard and read Patois in so many different ways. Even the books that are written to teach you how to write or speak it can't conform to any uniformity.

Patois is a colloquial language, it is spoken and written different based on the areas it is spoken in. My friends from Haiti speaks some of the words different than my Husband and Jamaican friends.

Roxcie

patwah is not a language..there is no standard for it..sooo everyone in different parishes speak with a different dialect...so a just really wah mek sense to u :)

And Gilli dat rass ooman is a mess...a woulda step right pass her...she no ave so reason fi know who Ken is...and mi glad how lite her up inna one descent way....brite

Ditto

Roxcie

Edited by RoxcieJoe

Timeline

Which is why I questioned those wanting to print a Patois Bible.

Edited by Jomo's girl

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

patwah bible ????? :rofl::bonk:

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Timeline

patwah bible ????? :rofl::bonk:

OMG, Kimmy......they have been arguing about it in the Gleaner for like a month now. The money they are proposing to spend on it is mind boggling.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

JG..dats ridiculous....what is wrong with the english that the bible is written in right now...mi cyaant even understand the words that are written w/o readin it like twice sometimes....it being in patwah a go help..a dem time deh everybody a go tek the Lord's word fi mockery...please !!

Timeline

Trelawny- I'm so excited for you-I can't wait to hear about the wedding!

I'm a total patois dunce... it is the speed and tone of it that kills me. When they slow WAY, WAY down I'm like, "oh, yeah!" When I met my husband for the first time, he had to tell me his name like 6 times... sometimes I just freeze up when I hear the accent!

CR1 Visa Journey

Met in Tryall 6/23/07

Married in Tryall 6/14/08

USCIS

06-28-2008: submitted I-130

07-09-2008: Check Cashed

07-11-2008: NOA1

07-16-2008 submitted I-129

07-28-2008 NOA1 for I-129

08-01-2008 I-129 touched!

08-03-2008 I-129 touched again!

09-05-2008 I-130 touched.... please, please, please... oh, please let them approve it.

09-06-2008: NOA2!!!!!!!

NVC

10-03-2008: Package forwarded to NVC

11-01-2008: COA mailed

10-23-2008: Paid AOS Bill (online)

11-03-2008: Paid IV Bill (online)

11-06-2008: Mailed I-864 and DS230 packets

11-18-2008: Case Complete

02-26-2009: Medical Exam

03-10-2009: Interview

03-27-2009: POE- Miami

??-??-2009: Social Security #

??-??-2009: Green Card

Timeline

I love, love , love when my SO speaks patois...it sounds so sexy to me, and then he tends to stammer a bit once he starts talking too fast which i think is even cuter. :blush:

Lawny, i cant wait to see your wedding pics, i am really excited for you. Are you planning on any type of honeymoon.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.