Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 6)

13,621 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
we wont even get started on how slow stuff is over there, D says when he goes in the post office, though they dont even ask him his name anymore, they just start digging for envelopes from the US for him. Initially when i was in the phase of saying we cant talk all the time, we have to write letters and get online .... :rolleyes: it is amusing to me now. i cant imagine not talking to D, everyday at least once or twice everyday now, expensive as it is, but heck after his accident when we didnt talk for a few days, here and there, i was going thru it.....LOL. And the mail is so slow in JA, that if i write a letter, odds are we will have already discussed what i wrote in the letter by the time it arrives. Ok, so me and D were looking at phones, he wants to replace his that got broke, the one he wants to buy is about $160 US , which he insists on saving for, cause it has all these dam bells and whistles on it... i keep telling him as long as it has a dial tone and rings, what do u need all that extra ####### on there for???? if were saving to file ppwk, then u need to buy the cheapest phone they got in the place, heck my razor is so raggedy but what do i care, it is just a phone, im not curing cancer with it, so we have been semi arguing about it.... For the life of me, i will never understand men. He says baby, it can do alot of stuff, though..Im telling him for $160!!!! please...the man can wrap his belt around his waist almost 2x, with his thin tail, he needs to invest that money in some food in my opinion.... :wacko:

For some reason, it's all about the phone.....a status symbol.

Andre wants an iPhone even though we don't have the internet or text messaging hooked up to our phones anymore. I keep saying, all it can do is ring and maybe you can take a picture. Do you really need all that extra stuff on it you can't even use? I might at well be talking to the wall.

He broke his phone a few weeks ago. I refuse to pay full price for a new one when our plan expires in November and he can upgrade then. (If you ask me, he intentionally broke it cause I said he had to wait till November then. He thought he could force my hand!). He's using my son's old one. He's been pouting ever since.

I've had the same Razr for 3 years.....no problems.

What is it with men and phones?

You hit the nail on the head here! Def a status symbol. My husband had this cheap-o phone forever. Like one that I had over 5 years ago. When we met i had the magenta razr and he liked it but started raggin on it saying its this and that and too many people in JA already have a razr and they try to show off with it. I'm thinking why is this man raggin on my phone when his is a cheapo thing. So then he wanted a Chocolate. He ordered one on Ebay which I sent to him, but took 4 months to get there( long story). I HATE the choc, but I guess now he feels he's got it going on with the stupid phone. Folks out there are crazy about their phones, but I guess phones are a status symbol here in the States too. Only thing is the phones that are status here are WAAAYYY expensive and high tec JA probably hasnt even heard of them yet.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
D, wants me to try to find a Blackberry on Ebay( how the heck he knows about ebay is beyond me) but i told him i dont think you can chip certain phones. The guy at the gas station is from egypt, and though i cant hardly understand him, i love him to death...LOL...he says that with Verizon, sprint and some other brands you cant unlock them, but with an AT&T phone you can? i wasnt real clear in understanding him. Anyone know about this? even though i dont even know why im asking, i refuse to allow him to spend that kind of dyam money,cause if you can buy that phone then you can take care of some other stuff that is more important...like going to the dentist. You would rather cry and snot when your teeth are hurting, but will save up for god knows how long for a dyam phone... :huh::rolleyes:

I get all my phones on Ebay.Its the only way to go unless you get your phone for free. You can chip ANY phone. Verizon phones from the US are not chipped but if your on Ebay phones are sold internationally and phone brands make their phones different ways for different phone companies.

D, wants me to try to find a Blackberry on Ebay( how the heck he knows about ebay is beyond me) but i told him i dont think you can chip certain phones. The guy at the gas station is from egypt, and though i cant hardly understand him, i love him to death...LOL...he says that with Verizon, sprint and some other brands you cant unlock them, but with an AT&T phone you can? i wasnt real clear in understanding him. Anyone know about this? even though i dont even know why im asking, i refuse to allow him to spend that kind of dyam money,cause if you can buy that phone then you can take care of some other stuff that is more important...like going to the dentist. You would rather cry and snot when your teeth are hurting, but will save up for god knows how long for a dyam phone... :huh::rolleyes:

Honeychild, you can buy any phone unlock, I only buy unlock phones. Lock phones are only sold here in the USA, eveywhere else in the world they sell unlock phones. If I wanted to change my carrier, all I have to do is put their chip in. I have an unlock Blackberry pearl, and I switch between, T-mobile for my Blackberry service, Att for business, and digcel when I am visting in JA. This makes life so much easier. If you wish I can turn you on to some websites I use when I am looking for unlock phones. I will be researching to find the unlock ipod soon.

Be Bles

Roxcie

Roxcie --

Thanks for the breakdown. My SO has tried to explain this to me time and time again about the chip and the phone... and changing the chip in the phone to different providers...yada, yada, yada. It was like he was speaking Greek, but I think I understand more since you mentioned the difference between lock and unlocked phones. Hell, I never new our phones were locked, but it makes sense now.

Thanks, girl! :thumbs:

You are quite welcome, as I mentiones when I am in JA I put a digcel sim card into my phone, so now I am not aquiring international rates for calls that I receive from within JA. This makes it a lot easier, when I am calling my husband on his cell phone if we are not together.

Roxcie

Timeline

Hey yall!! I've been trying to catch up on everything and the best I can do at this point is welcome Kim and to tell everyone that this place truly does make a difference in my life. I haven't posted in a while, and it's like I haven't talked to my friends in a while!! I'm pissed because this weekend I'm on call (I'm a therapist and case manager for the mentally ill) and already I can tell it's gonna be a long weekend. The ER had one of my clients committed to one of our state psychiatric institutions, but they are REFUSING to admit him-- citing that he has been there too many times (93 over his lifetime), and our local crisis center is giving us ####### and trying not to take him either! :wacko::ranting: I'm telling you, folx aren't gonna be happy til he seriously hurts someone or kills himself (mind you he ended up in the ER last nite high on cocaine & marijuana, having not taken his psych meds, and while in the ER pulled out a razor and threatened to slash the throat of one of the nurse attendants, needed to be taken down by 7 officers, and was almost tasered....he refused hs oral meds but they did manage to get him a shot of Haldol)...sheesh....I need to find a drink! :blink:

On a lighter note, a couple of my co-workers and I are planning to go out to Drag bingo tomorrow evening. They host the event every few months and it benefits AIDS awareness projects in the community and provides assistance to people living with HIV/AIDS. This should be funny, and I plan on taking plenty of pictures!! LOL I wonder what my husband will think when I tell him :whistle:

4ABAm4.png

Removing Conditions:

10/27/11: Petition mailed to VSC

10/28/11: Package received and signed for by Renaud

10/31/11: NOA1

Timeline
Hey yall!! I've been trying to catch up on everything and the best I can do at this point is welcome Kim and to tell everyone that this place truly does make a difference in my life. I haven't posted in a while, and it's like I haven't talked to my friends in a while!! I'm pissed because this weekend I'm on call (I'm a therapist and case manager for the mentally ill) and already I can tell it's gonna be a long weekend. The ER had one of my clients committed to one of our state psychiatric institutions, but they are REFUSING to admit him-- citing that he has been there too many times (93 over his lifetime), and our local crisis center is giving us ####### and trying not to take him either! :wacko::ranting: I'm telling you, folx aren't gonna be happy til he seriously hurts someone or kills himself (mind you he ended up in the ER last nite high on cocaine & marijuana, having not taken his psych meds, and while in the ER pulled out a razor and threatened to slash the throat of one of the nurse attendants, needed to be taken down by 7 officers, and was almost tasered....he refused hs oral meds but they did manage to get him a shot of Haldol)...sheesh....I need to find a drink! :blink:

On a lighter note, a couple of my co-workers and I are planning to go out to Drag bingo tomorrow evening. They host the event every few months and it benefits AIDS awareness projects in the community and provides assistance to people living with HIV/AIDS. This should be funny, and I plan on taking plenty of pictures!! LOL I wonder what my husband will think when I tell him :whistle:

Hey Mrs. P,

That is funny, that is exactly what i do as well. Since returning from JA, i have been playing catch up, i have one guy who was psych admitted while i was in JA who is still there, one who is decompensating more and more every day and nine times out of ten will be hospitalilzed this weekend( god i hope they dont call me) and two are in the hospital for physical health problems ( as you know the mentally ill, tend to be more medically fragile) anyhoo, the two that are in the hospital have now contracted MRSA that resistant staph infection!!! and im supposed to go out and do hospital contacts... :blink: i dont even want to get close. I was telling my SO about how crazy the work is and that sometimes when everyone is declining how taxing it can be. While i was in JA last week, and me and my SO where on the street in Ochi, I saw a naked woman in a shower cap walking down the street, i asked my SO " Baby what's up with her, do my eyes decieve me or is she naked, he said yeah baby she is crazy and turned around and went back to talking with his brother as if, it was no big deal....LOL :wacko: I said well dyam obviously there is a job market here...maybe i should move to JA, cause obviously there is a need for my services....hahaha. And the funny thing is Mrs. P, no one on the street seemed the least bit fazed by her. WTH???? let someone walk down the streets naked in the states and see what happens!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Sorry if this has been posted already....just too lazy to go back and look:

July 18, 2008

Visa Application System to be Changed

According to information on Radio Jamaica there will be changes made to the visa application system at the United States Embassy in Kingston.

The problem lies with the online application system which has been causing hold ups as persons are making several appointments.

A briefing was held yesterday with the Assistant Secretary for the Bureau of Consular Affairs, Janice Jacobs, where it was revealed that some travel agents were also securing blocks of appointments. She also stated that in the upcoming year a new system will be put in place to remove the problem.

The proposed plan to be executed in order to alleviate the problem is to have customers pay the application fee when they book their appointments online instead of paying the fee otherwise as is being done presently.

They believe this will lead to a decline in the problem they are currently facing.

Posted by yardFlex at July 18, 2008 12:25 PM

0insijou.png

According to God's favor...Happily married on 09~09~09

See "Our Story" for K-1 timeline

~AOS Timeline~

Nov 28, 2009 ~~ Mailed off Packet

Dec 01, 2009 ~~ Delivered to Chicago Lockbox and signed for by "L. Box"

Dec 07, 2009 ~~ Check Cashed!

Dec 12, 2009 ~~ All 3 NOA1s received in the mail (dated 12/7/09)

Dec 17, 2009 ~~ InfoPass appointment (Emergency AP granted)

Dec 28, 2009 ~~ Biometric Letter arrived (dated 12/15/09)

Dec 28, 2009 ~~ RFE for I-693 (dated 12/22/09)

Jan 11, 2010 ~~ Completed Biometrics

Jan 14, 2010 ~~ Sent I-693 in sealed envelope via US Priority Mail

Jan 19, 2010 ~~ Reply to RFE delivered to Lee's Summit, MO @ 5:03 PM signed for by "C BUCHHOLZ"

Jan 20, 2010 ~~ USCIS acknowledged receipt of RFE on I-485 only

Jan 22, 2010 ~~ I-131 AP and I-765 EAD approved (email notice on 1/25/10)

Jan 28, 2010 ~~ USCIS email that I-485 was transferred to CSC on 1/26/10

Jan 30, 2010 ~~ Received EAD and AP via US Postal Service

Feb 01, 2010 ~~ Received notification of case transfer via USPS

May 07, 2010 ~~ Email notification that card production ordered for 1-485

Jun 01, 2010 ~~ Greencard finally arrives w/approval date 2/23/10 (Huh??)

Done until November 25, 2011!!!

Timeline

July 18, 2008

The problem lies with the online application system which has been causing hold ups as persons are making several appointments.

.... where it was revealed that some travel agents were also securing blocks of appointments.

No wonder ppl cant get any interview dates. cussing.gif

Timeline

I went to Kingston yesterday to get a police record... and i saw so many people trying to get police record for immigration purposes. Trust me there are a lot of person applying for immigrant visas...no wonder it is so hard to get an interview date. Some persons were even trying to get a "back door deal" on a police record. One lady was begging one of the worker to get it back the same day.........angry-smiley-225.gif....crazy.

Edited by foreverido

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello all - I am still lurking on the site...just wanted to give a big hail up!

May 20, 2008: Green card approved

N-400

February 22, 2011: Sent N-400 VAWA package

February 23, 2011: FedEx package signed for and delivered

March 15, 2011: Email NOA

March 15, 2011: Check cashed

March 17, 2011: Email re: Fingerprint Notice mailed out

March 18, 2011: NOA received (Notice Date 03/14; Priority Date: 02/23)

March 23, 2011: Biometrics notice received for 03/31

March 31, 2011: Biometrics completed

July 5, 2011: Online status: Now scheduled for interview

July 12, 2011: Received interview letter finally!

August 11, 2011: Interview Date (Garden City) - PASSED!!!

August 15, 2011: In line to be scheduled for Oath

August 16, 2011: Oath scheduled, notice sent

August 20, 2011: Oath notice received

September 15, 2011: Oath ceremony @ 8:30 AM

September 17, 20011: Passport application

September 21, 2011: Passport received

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Honeychild, you can buy any phone unlock, I only buy unlock phones. Lock phones are only sold here in the USA, eveywhere else in the world they sell unlock phones. If I wanted to change my carrier, all I have to do is put their chip in. I have an unlock Blackberry pearl, and I switch between, T-mobile for my Blackberry service, Att for business, and digcel when I am visting in JA. This makes life so much easier. If you wish I can turn you on to some websites I use when I am looking for unlock phones. I will be researching to find the unlock ipod soon.

Be Bles

Roxcie, that would be cool any info you can provide would be good, i will probably just forward it to him or print it out and mail it to him and let him decide what he wants.

JG,

Okay help me understand, i have Verizon right now and intend to keep it, but if i went into an AT&T carrier of cellphones or a mall kiosk, and bought a blackberry pearl with no service on it, then when i went to JA he could just put a digicell chip in and get it working?

I would buy it off the internet. Just google unlocked cell phones and pick a good priced one you want. I have found that those mall stores charge way to much for a phone, let alone an unlocked one. Some cell phone carriers will not even help you unlock one of their phones for you and/or they charge a high fee to do it.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
I went to Kingston yesterday to get a police record... and i saw so many people trying to get police record for immigration purposes. Trust me there are a lot of person applying for immigrant visas...no wonder it is so hard to get an interview date. Some persons were even trying to get a "back door deal" on a police record. One lady was begging one of the worker to get it back the same day.........angry-smiley-225.gif....crazy.

Earlier today, I posted a link to a article about how many visas were granted in their last fiscal year. The number is really amazing if you break it down into days available for interviews and such.

July 18, 2008

Visa Application System to be Changed

According to information on Radio Jamaica there will be changes made to the visa application system at the United States Embassy in Kingston.

A briefing was held yesterday with the Assistant Secretary for the Bureau of Consular Affairs, Janice Jacobs, where it was revealed that some travel agents were also securing blocks of appointments. She also stated that in the upcoming year a new system will be put in place to remove the problem.

The proposed plan to be executed in order to alleviate the problem is to have customers pay the application fee when they book their appointments online instead of paying the fee otherwise as is being done presently.

They believe this will lead to a decline in the problem they are currently facing.

Yeah, I read this earlier this week. I hope it helps.

####### is up with travel agents doing this? I'm not exactly sure I see the point in that.

Hello all - I am still lurking on the site...just wanted to give a big hail up!

Hey girl. I hope everything is right in your world!

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

####### is up with travel agents doing this? I'm not exactly sure I see the point in that.

Well if they have all the dates they can

1) force you to buy back the interview dates from them at a higher price

2) force you so that you have to use there service to apply for a visa

Timeline

How are travel agents able to manipulate immigration times? Kingston is a HOT MESS!!! I do not get that place. Its like they are operating on a system from 1980 or something. Its frickin 2008 people WTH!!

Timeline
Gilli...u know seh mi love the heat..it no bother mi at all...

and doant follow di one Lawny..she WILL NOT come to yuh baby shower :) ..she just love mek trouble :devil:

Ohhh LAWD..are you serious...I had my youngest Gavin in August and I was ready to move to bloody Antarctica by APRIL!!!!! Mi cyan't tek deh heat ...especially not when I'm PG!!! Glad fi hear seh yuh arright! ;)

Bless,

Gill

Wait deh KIMMY you see dat...I think Gill just type di word PG=PREGNANT...maybe I'm reading dat wrang. :rofl:

Luv ya

You two are too dyam much! You, Kimmi and Ken are all anxious to get me PG! :no: We are NOT 'PG' at this current time...but thanks for asking! Geez if and when it happens onnuh will be 3rd & 4th fuh knoa...right afta mi han Ken! But gotta tell ya I am not planning on it right now! I want to wait til we get our baby, KJ up here into this crazy mix before bringing yet another child into the mix!

Although Missa Young has different plans :lol::lol::lol: "Pickney is pickney...1,2,3,4.. it's all deh same...what's one more?" :huh::blink: 'If we were inna Yard...mi wouldda give yuh all 3 more pickney but now!' :blink: Yet another reason fi thank G-d for the ole U.S. of A!!

He has given up wearing 'boots' now. In his head "Married men doan wear nuh dyam boots" :wacko:So me and that ovulation calculator are best friends...during peak times tings LACKHOFF! :devil:

Lawny...you got NEXT!!!!!!! :rofl::rofl: I'm thinking if I know Marcel well enough...this time next year you'll be ready to pop...if yuh nuh ave wan by then! :devil::lol:

Bless,

Gill

Ovulation Calculator!! Does that really work well? Hmmm....I predicting we may be getting a little Ken-Ken and Gillie soon. :devil:

On a similar note. I have no clue when I ovulate. I am never on any sort of typical cycle, how does this work?

Timeline

Ladies, ladies, ladies....I am having a wonderful day. G-D is on my side and my life is wonderful. Well from this morning, I find out I can move into my condo a little earlier than expected. My awesome cousin and his wife sent me an email saying they wanted to buy the kids their bedroom comforter sets for their new rooms $100 each. Not alot for some people but for me right now its a huge blessing. My scum bag ex (the kids dad) finally got arrested! Hes been running for almost a year now. I can move, start over, and finally move on with my life. But at the same time say a prayer for him, he needs it. I can only hope this will be his wake up call and he will get his act together.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.