Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 6)

13,621 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Lawny,

the food was served to different tables or it was buffet?? It wasn't her wedding so the mother-in-law should have sat down.

JENGS;

It got bad from the rehersal Friday night when she made a comment about my hair being braided and my girlfriend the groom's sister whose hair is (auburn)...looks really nice. She had a problem with that. Food was buffet style, but someone was on the other side serving as you walked buy and explaing what the food was at both tables. A lot of people came up from Jamaica for the wedding. Her mother is a trip and she knew it, but she just didn't know what else to say. Her mom was so loud and embrassing about the cake cutting. I was embrassed for the bride and my friend...very embrassed. The other out-of-town guest were also embrassed. I was like ####### is the big deal. If people don't want to eat they don't have to, but they did.......and to think I have to see her again

Man dat is mad behavior. Was she sipping on something before, during, and after?

Wakey

Heck no;

She was not sipping on nothing...she is just a damn mad rass...and don't let me get started on the music...that was when I left....enough was enough.

I'm worried that's how our ceremony will be. Mom is not really saying anything bad she just gets real quiet whenever I mention plans. I think she is still hoping and praying that I'm just going through something. NOT

:ot: I was listening to a talk radio show and they were discussing Male and Female roles in a successful romantic relationship.

A Jamaican woman came on and said that the reason our relationships don’t last is because woman try to be equal to the man in the relationship. She said that woman could be respected but never considered equal to a man. She gave examples of what she meant by saying we “women” should never pass gas around a man, never let him know when you have a monthly, or never let him know when you go to “doodie” etc. She said all Jamaican women are taught this and that why their relationships last.

What are your thoughts?

Wakey

hey wakey!!

I don't know if it ensures an enduring relationship or not, but I don't do those things the lady mentioned.. I just don't feel comfortable. maybe it is the southerner in me. Of course a man would know that I do those things, but I just think as a lady there are some things that i should and shouldn't do around anyone let alone my man. I don't want to be equal to a man. I want to be protected and catered to and fussed over.. Just like I want to revere and honor and extol him

However, I think alot of relationship problems do arise from this "level playing field", it has backfired on us almost. Men are just accepting that women can do anything for themselves now, and they can take it 2 ways.

Either men feel the woman got it all together and maybe resents her strength a bit. Unknowingly, he deprives her of the tenderness and warmth that she needs. Its like why do u hug a rock, 'Well baby that rock needs to be hugged sometimes even though she is strong"

Then u have the men that take ADVANTAGE of a woman being strong. Maybe he feels threatened and doesn't want to try to be the man of his house or maybe he is happy w/ his woman doing all the work and likes it when he can lay back and enjoy the fruits of her labor.. Its crazy how many men are perfectly OK w/ not having a job and living off of his girl, cuz she "got her stuff together"..

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Lawny,

the food was served to different tables or it was buffet?? It wasn't her wedding so the mother-in-law should have sat down.

JENGS;

It got bad from the rehersal Friday night when she made a comment about my hair being braided and my girlfriend the groom's sister whose hair is (auburn)...looks really nice. She had a problem with that. Food was buffet style, but someone was on the other side serving as you walked buy and explaing what the food was at both tables. A lot of people came up from Jamaica for the wedding. Her mother is a trip and she knew it, but she just didn't know what else to say. Her mom was so loud and embrassing about the cake cutting. I was embrassed for the bride and my friend...very embrassed. The other out-of-town guest were also embrassed. I was like ####### is the big deal. If people don't want to eat they don't have to, but they did.......and to think I have to see her again

Man dat is mad behavior. Was she sipping on something before, during, and after?

Wakey

Heck no;

She was not sipping on nothing...she is just a damn mad rass...and don't let me get started on the music...that was when I left....enough was enough.

I'm worried that's how our ceremony will be. Mom is not really saying anything bad she just gets real quiet whenever I mention plans. I think she is still hoping and praying that I'm just going through something. NOT

:ot: I was listening to a talk radio show and they were discussing Male and Female roles in a successful romantic relationship.

A Jamaican woman came on and said that the reason our relationships don’t last is because woman try to be equal to the man in the relationship. She said that woman could be respected but never considered equal to a man. She gave examples of what she meant by saying we “women” should never pass gas around a man, never let him know when you have a monthly, or never let him know when you go to “doodie” etc. She said all Jamaican women are taught this and that why their relationships last.

What are your thoughts?

Wakey

hey wakey!!

I don't know if it ensures an enduring relationship or not, but I don't do those things the lady mentioned.. I just don't feel comfortable. maybe it is the southerner in me. Of course a man would know that I do those things, but I just think as a lady there are some things that i should and shouldn't do around anyone let alone my man. I don't want to be equal to a man. I want to be protected and catered to and fussed over.. Just like I want to revere and honor and extol him

However, I think alot of relationship problems do arise from this "level playing field", it has backfired on us almost. Men are just accepting that women can do anything for themselves now, and they can take it 2 ways.

Either men feel the woman got it all together and maybe resents her strength a bit. Unknowingly, he deprives her of the tenderness and warmth that she needs. Its like why do u hug a rock, 'Well baby that rock needs to be hugged sometimes even though she is strong"

Then u have the men that take ADVANTAGE of a woman being strong. Maybe he feels threatened and doesn't want to try to be the man of his house or maybe he is happy w/ his woman doing all the work and likes it when he can lay back and enjoy the fruits of her labor.. Its crazy how many men are perfectly OK w/ not having a job and living off of his girl, cuz she "got her stuff together"..

That is a really great way to look at it. I've always tried to be strong before and this is the only relationship where I've let the man be strong for us. I still don't know about the gas thing.. A sister can only walk out the room so many times. lol

Intimacy, like charity, begins at home. If we cannot be intimate with ourselves, we have no way to bring to intimacy with another person.

Intimacy with ourselves takes time. We need time for rest, time for walks, time for quiet, and time to tune into to ourselves. We cannot completely fill up our lives with activities and become intimate with ourselves. Nor can we just sit quietly indefinitely and become intimate with ourselves. We have to have the time and energy to be our lives and to do our live in order to establish and intimate relationship with ourselves.

Surprisingly, as we become intimate with ourselves, we discover our connection with others

Intimacy....In/to/me/see...

Timeline
Lawny,

JENGS;

Wakey

Heck no;

What are your thoughts?

Wakey

HAAAAAAAAAAA....Makes me wonder....mi no care...mi do wah mi afi do...but my grandmother taught me the same things...but as my "jack of all trade" (been married for 50 years) auntie would say "WHAT A BUNCH OF RUBBISH"

I was wondering how do you not let your husband know these things if you spend every day and night with you. Gas will slip out even at night and when they want some rooks you may be on the monthly. Anyway, I just wanted to know. I've never been married but if hiding personal stuff keeps in strong I need some serious tips to do that kind of stuff.

lol..its not really hiding.. its just unspoken, "if that makes sense"??? Like I wouldn't be like "ooohhh baby, I got GAS!!!! or "DANG, I don't know WHAT I ate" after coming out of the restroom HeeHee.. not very lady like I was taught, but hey to each his own right??

Timeline
Lawny,

JENGS;

Wakey

Heck no;

What are your thoughts?

Wakey

hey wakey!!

That is a really great way to look at it. I've always tried to be strong before and this is the only relationship where I've let the man be strong for us. I still don't know about the gas thing.. A sister can only walk out the room so many times. lol

I hear ya girl.. whats in, has got to come out sometimes.. and who better than your life mate to share that kind of love with!!!!

Timeline
Lawny,

JENGS;

Wakey

Heck no;

What are your thoughts?

Wakey

hey wakey!!

I hear ya girl.. whats in, has got to come out sometimes.. and who better than your life mate to share that kind of love with!!!!

Right!

Intimacy, like charity, begins at home. If we cannot be intimate with ourselves, we have no way to bring to intimacy with another person.

Intimacy with ourselves takes time. We need time for rest, time for walks, time for quiet, and time to tune into to ourselves. We cannot completely fill up our lives with activities and become intimate with ourselves. Nor can we just sit quietly indefinitely and become intimate with ourselves. We have to have the time and energy to be our lives and to do our live in order to establish and intimate relationship with ourselves.

Surprisingly, as we become intimate with ourselves, we discover our connection with others

Timeline

I think an equal playing field means each person uses their strengths for the betterment of the relationship. It does't mean anyone has an upper hand.

And in my opinion, if a man resents a strong woman, that is his problem. He needs to work on his own insecurities.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

dancehall ... .my thoughts exactly! LOL

I am just not very "ladylike". :whistle:

I also think Louis and I are very much equal partners. But thats just the way we mix. We all try to make the best out of our relationships and there is no 1 right way to do things. I have a "friend" trying to tell me how my marriage is going to be (having never even met Louis) ... I just can't wait to prove her wrong!

June 29 2009: Green Card Received

March 6 2011: Lifting Conditions

June 6 2012: Apply for US Citizenship

fkn0hd.jpg

Timeline

I also think Louis and I are very much equal partners. But thats just the way we mix. We all try to make the best out of our relationships and there is no 1 right way to do things. I have a "friend" trying to tell me how my marriage is going to be (having never even met Louis) ... I just can't wait to prove her wrong!

Exactly, IC. I've had people telling me for the last 4 years that I need to be more passive. Time tells a different tale.

To each his own.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline
I think an equal playing field means each person uses their strengths for the betterment of the relationship. It does't mean anyone has an upper hand.

And in my opinion, if a man resents a strong woman, that is his problem. He needs to work on his own insecurities.

I totally agree about strength coming from each person. For example, one person is better and balancing the budget that doesn't mean the other shouldn't be consulted on purchases and expenses.

Timeline

Exactly, IC. I've had people telling me for the last 4 years that I need to be more passive. Time tells a different tale.

To each his own.

Yeah me too. I have a friend who never speaks her mind. She is soooo passive and is stepped on and never considered in decisions. I will never live with a closed mouth. It won't do it. I do gaurd my words to make sure I'm not being "ugly" and intentually hurtful.

Timeline
Nanny and Belwin, your daughters are gorgeous!

thanks so much!!

how are you doing these days?

I am good, hanging in there. I have an ultrasound appointment this Thursday, hopefully I will find out the sex of the baby.

Hey Roxcie, thanks for the tip, I did call my doctor but she is on vacation. Another doctor is supposed to call me back.. I am like a zombie at work today :wacko:

.png

DSC00636.jpgDSC00674.jpgDSC00652.jpg

When they placed you in my arms, you slipped into my heart ♥

Filed: Timeline
I have heard that as well from many women. Not my philosophy at all. It sounds like something legend.....can't say I totally believe it is in practice much anymore. If someone wants to believe that and live like that then more power to them. It would not work for me.

Tre..........tell me about the music, please.

JG --

Her mom said the guest didn't understand the music...which was funny because the dance floor was packed when reggae was playing...the DJ did and excellent job with mixing the music...I helped them picked the music since the ground was a little older I left out all the hardcore reggae...choose more of the back in the day artist

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Timeline
A question for the veterans.....How long was your husband in the US before going back to Jamaica again for the first time?

On June 15th, Andre will be here 2 years. We still haven't gone back. Looks like maybe next summer will be our best bet.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.