Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 6)

13,621 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

From what I've heard, Kimmy.....no one makes decent salary at a resort. But, that's a whole 'nother conversation.

So, why do you think you set your mind that there is going to be some confrontation when you hear the Patois? That is really interesting to me. I can't imagine setting myself up for battle every time I hear English.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
From what I've heard, Kimmy.....no one makes decent salary at a resort. But, that's a whole 'nother conversation.

So, why do you think you set your mind that there is going to be some confrontation when you hear the Patois? That is really interesting to me. I can't imagine setting myself up for battle every time I hear English.

JG..when mi no know nobody wah work a resorts..mi assume some jobs pays better according to Jamaican standards.

I don't know..most times..mi correct..some Jamaicans don't have approach to no fault of their own...when yuh argue and si wah di 2 ppl stand den dem become friends...I guess it's the JAMAICAN in me ...i a wanda if a something we native Jamaicans have in us..but only recognize it when others do it to us...mi no know..just a tell u bout me

Edited by Hotlegz

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Timeline

and plus mi neva seh ME a go fight a battle...i a PREPARE I self..when i get a conversation going then I know to put my "GUARD" down...afta mi no dyam fool fi as mi hear PATOIS mi face mek up and mi mout push up and a war time...

Edited by Hotlegz

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I am legal...I got approved this morning at Federal Plaza - with stamp in passport. Going to Jamdown this weekend. :devil:

May 20, 2008: Green card approved

N-400

February 22, 2011: Sent N-400 VAWA package

February 23, 2011: FedEx package signed for and delivered

March 15, 2011: Email NOA

March 15, 2011: Check cashed

March 17, 2011: Email re: Fingerprint Notice mailed out

March 18, 2011: NOA received (Notice Date 03/14; Priority Date: 02/23)

March 23, 2011: Biometrics notice received for 03/31

March 31, 2011: Biometrics completed

July 5, 2011: Online status: Now scheduled for interview

July 12, 2011: Received interview letter finally!

August 11, 2011: Interview Date (Garden City) - PASSED!!!

August 15, 2011: In line to be scheduled for Oath

August 16, 2011: Oath scheduled, notice sent

August 20, 2011: Oath notice received

September 15, 2011: Oath ceremony @ 8:30 AM

September 17, 20011: Passport application

September 21, 2011: Passport received

Timeline
I am legal...I got approved this morning at Federal Plaza - with stamp in passport. Going to Jamdown this weekend. :devil:

Wonderful news.

So happy for you! :dance:

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
and plus mi neva seh ME a go fight a battle...i a PREPARE I self..when i get a conversation going then I know to put my "GUARD" down...afta mi no dyam fool fi as mi hear PATOIS mi face mek up and mi mout push up and a war time...

I understand kimmy.. Its not something I would say I am proud of, but in instances where I have to deal w/ people of my color, I tend to expect a lil more confrontation or aggression cuz i know "us". Not saying that is everybody and that Black Americans don't know how to act. Everybody's background and upbringing is different and I know every race or culture have rude individuals. All that is true, but like u say that is another form of racism I know I have and ALOT of people I know do too. I don't treat anybody any different, but in the back of my mind I have already expected the communication to go a certain way.. If it doesn't that is great, but if it does, I am not surprised.

Timeline

Yeah !! :dance: congrats

Timeline

I understand kimmy.. Its not something I would say I am proud of, but in instances where I have to deal w/ people of my color, I tend to expect a lil more confrontation or aggression cuz i know "us". Not saying that is everybody and that Black Americans don't know how to act. Everybody's background and upbringing is different and I know every race or culture have rude individuals. All that is true, but like u say that is another form of racism I know I have and ALOT of people I know do too. I don't treat anybody any different, but in the back of my mind I have already expected the communication to go a certain way.. If it doesn't that is great, but if it does, I am not surprised.

Exactly Quana....

Timeline

I just got out of my seminar and got home - It's interesting, it's a 2 day thing on cross functional communication - but I am sitting in class thinking that I am not the one who needs to take it, lol!

For those seeking info on travel to other countries, your best bet is to find the tourism page for the country you want to visit - they will have the immigration / visa info listed there correctly. I know JA can travel to the Bahamas without a visa.

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanks all - it felt like an uphill battle...but finally, it's done! (Now the wait for the card)

May 20, 2008: Green card approved

N-400

February 22, 2011: Sent N-400 VAWA package

February 23, 2011: FedEx package signed for and delivered

March 15, 2011: Email NOA

March 15, 2011: Check cashed

March 17, 2011: Email re: Fingerprint Notice mailed out

March 18, 2011: NOA received (Notice Date 03/14; Priority Date: 02/23)

March 23, 2011: Biometrics notice received for 03/31

March 31, 2011: Biometrics completed

July 5, 2011: Online status: Now scheduled for interview

July 12, 2011: Received interview letter finally!

August 11, 2011: Interview Date (Garden City) - PASSED!!!

August 15, 2011: In line to be scheduled for Oath

August 16, 2011: Oath scheduled, notice sent

August 20, 2011: Oath notice received

September 15, 2011: Oath ceremony @ 8:30 AM

September 17, 20011: Passport application

September 21, 2011: Passport received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hey Yardies!

Congrats Nish,

I'm so happy that your honey is finally here. That was so quick. VSC is working it out. We'll talk...

Mommie2B, Glad you got touched today, hopefully you'll receive some good information real soon.

ROC

Filed at Vermont Service Center

ROC Filing date:--------08-02-2011

Express Mail card recd stating package was recd on: 08-03-2011

NOA1 rec'd dated:-------08-04-2011

Check Cashed:-----------08-08-2011

Biometrics Appt scheduled for: ----09-23-2011

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Exactly Quana....

At Sandcastles last year, we were put in a room with no hot water...the whole block had no hot water and technically wasn't open to guests. the receptionist was very nice to me until she saw mr jengles, she told him to go back to his bus and i'm like he's my husband and he's checking in with me. she get vex, didn't tell us anything not even the fact that breakfast was included in our package. It took them two days to get us out of that room and of course we got upgraded on the food part.

At the RIU we asked one of mr jengles co-workers about a tour she said she couldn't book any. maybe some of them are envious (sp) they work in these places and can't afford to stay there, and maybe they can accept that americans can stay there, but not Jamaicans. For the most part when I've stayed at hotels. I've never really encountered any loud locals, they are ususally more reserved. it's the Americans..who are loud as all hell

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

Filed: Timeline
OK...not all workers in Jamica treat Jamaicans the same way...don't u'll think it's alot of conditioning ? (and mi no want nobdy jump dung mi throat tideh) i've noticed the "lighter" or "whiter" ur skin the better ur treated. It's just a form of racism in my opinion. and plus who a give the bigger tips and possibly get an "opportunity". U know i always say i never new any kind of racism until i got to this country..when i lived in JA black man, chinese, syrian, indian, japanese...we were all just JAMAICANS.....never knew the separation.How can they demand someone out of their cars who is just arriving and checkin in? dem no know how many ppl booked the place.

Mi yaadies ..who memba dis or obversed it some place "let in di brownin" yup mi a deh a front all di time :rofl:

Kimmy --

That's how mi feel. We were already checked into the hotel. The guards changed shift and we had been in and out of the property several times..cause mi can't eat resort food. My fiance's car is tinted really dark and even though I let down all the windows dem wah we fi come out...HELL NO!....and mi naw hide mi accent a rass...fiyah undah dem baxide.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

Exactly Quana....

At Sandcastles last year, we were put in a room with no hot water...the whole block had no hot water and technically wasn't open to guests. the receptionist was very nice to me until she saw mr jengles, she told him to go back to his bus and i'm like he's my husband and he's checking in with me. she get vex, didn't tell us anything not even the fact that breakfast was included in our package. It took them two days to get us out of that room and of course we got upgraded on the food part.

At the RIU we asked one of mr jengles co-workers about a tour she said she couldn't book any. maybe some of them are envious (sp) they work in these places and can't afford to stay there, and maybe they can accept that americans can stay there, but not Jamaicans. For the most part when I've stayed at hotels. I've never really encountered any loud locals, they are ususally more reserved. it's the Americans..who are loud as all hell

:rofl:

true..maybe

Filed: Timeline
Interesting theory on the opportunity and tips thought, Kim. My only thought on that is if we are talking about the front desk and secuirty, are you guys tipping the front desk people and security gurards? I never have.

HELLLLLLLLLLLS NO!...that's what I'm included in my rate. But at the Holiday Inn the guy at the tennis court in the back I told him I wanted some neasberries, guava and gineaup and he brought me a BIG A$$ bag. So, I gave him $20/US. The amount of fruits he brought me those 4 days could not hold in my beach bag. I had to get another bag. Poor fellow, he was so upset when he saw me talking to Marcel....he never spoke to me again. Nice guy though.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.