Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 6)

13,621 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I'm glad the HI has been bought out. I think the Jamaica Grande has really improved since the change of management and I hope the same will happen at the HI....What's more, I think it's fantastic that it's back in JAMAICAN hands...I HATED the way I saw some of the local Jamaican visitors to the hotel being treated....

my sister is going to get married there in Aug. at jamaica grande and kids up to age 15 are free, can't wait to go. l love the food at jamaica grande. i met one of the owners when I got locked out of my room coming home from Amnesia at 4am. I only stayed at holiday inn once. the beach was great, but I can't say I liked the food.

Ohhhhhhhhh JENGS I'm going tell. Wah u a do a come fram nightclub so late. :lol: I don't care for the food at Jamaican Grande. My other problem (I didn't like how they treated the locals). I found it very insulting and digusting and I complained. I understand security is there to protect the guest and to secure the grounds, but to hear someone say "hey bway, wah u a do ovah yah" is completly out of line. My cousin's wristband was clearly in site. He claimed he didn't see it. And they've improved in service. When my cousin was married there in 2007, it them 3 hours to check in 8 people. They overbooked the hotel, our reservation was made almost 6 months in advance so we didn't want to here (*$&.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
:ot: I'm picking your yardie brains, again. Can you rent a post office box in JA like we can here? Since my mail has been dropped off at my doorstep all my life I still haven't grasped how the JA mail system works, other than being untrustworthy.

Thanks! (F)

Not that I know of either.

I have not had one complaint about the JA mail system. 8 days from whenever I mailed something to Andre, he went to pick it up. Like clock work. The ladies at the post office (White Sands) were lovely.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

How long has Kimani been working there? Ricky?

Kimani I think 5 years and Ricky 3 years. Kimani was a cook then he went into bartending. Ricky was at the front desk, but he got into it with a guest (the guest was wrong), they moved him to housekeeping then bartending (I think). I hope the workers do not lose their jobs. I took a picuture of the Riu last month the new one in Mobay. Marcel's uncle works over there and we brought him lunch one day all I can say is WOW! I'm thinking they're going to tear down the gas station that's near there. It's kind of unslightly. If you don't look for it you'll miss it. The Riu is pushed back into the corner. While I was there last month there was a protest of some sort, because there must be a rastah village or something near there and they saying the owners for Riu were dupping trash on their property and the government won't do anything about ti.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

tep aff a mi name

TOTALLY Off Topic;

Somebody anybody help a sistah out! MY ALLERGIES are making me 100% miserable. Clariten, Alvert, Zytec, I can't even remember the others do NOTHING. I've had 8 people ask me this morning if I'm crying is there anything they can do for me....YEAH! SHOOT MY A$$ the PINK Benadryl works, but it makes me SLEEPY (even if I take 1/2). I just feel like a HOT MISERALBE MESS right now

Tre, I am so sorry your alleries are making you miserable. Last year this time I had the same problem, but a lot worse.... I couldn't go out of the house without me sneezing 24/7. My doctor tried everything including putting me on steriods. Hated it ....weight gain. That didn't work, ....so I booked a trip to the Bahamas, viola........ It worked. I had to leave the Washington/DC Metro area. My allergies last year lasted from January thru June. I was one miserable sister. I dodn't know what over- the counter can help.....try calling your Doc.(allergy). I'm keeping my finger cross that I don't experience the same thing this year. Good Luck

Thanks Roxie;

So, you know DC/Metro area is one of the WORSE area for allergy suffers. When I went home last month I was fine as soon as I walked outside the airport. When I got back to Baltimore, it didn't even take 10 mins for it to kick in. I also took steriod injecitons and gained 56lbs! last year. Was not happy at all, but that was the only thing that helped me at the time. I was so congested and suffering with sinus pressure I passed out at PG plaza. Looks like I might have to go back to the shots and my big A$$ don't need to gain anymore weight. :crying:

Trelawny, now you see why I was trying to spend my summer in JA. If I have to go thru what I went thru last year, I will probably hurt someone. You ever experience driving for over-an hour in rush hour and sneezing for one hour straight. Every street had a tree that I was allergic to.

In February, after I got married in JA, and we had finish our honeymoon, we went back to my hubby place to stay for my remaining time in JA. Well I am allergic to mold, as soon as I walked in his place I could smell it. I told my hubby..I smell mold. He said okay, not knowing what I meant. I looked around the place and I located the mold.... viola..... That night when we went to sleep, I noticed that I was having a hard time breathing, so I told my hubby, tomorrow you will have to wash down all of your walls with bleach. That didn't appeal to him, but he agreed, but that night I could not breath at all, so in the middle of the night I jump up, forgot where I was (thinking I am at home) tried to get off the bed to head for the bathroom to run hot water for steam. Fell flat on my a...... Hubby jumped up yelling ....thinking someone had broken in and looked around finding me on the floor. I was so embrassed....

So, when I tell people I fell out of the bed on my Honeymoon... everyone just raises their eyebrow and smile, but they don't know it was because of the mold I am allergic to. HA HA

Roxie, see when I tell people I'm allergic to mold they look at me like I'm crazy. As soon as I walk into a room or building anywhere mater of fact I can smell it. My throat starts to itch and then my mouth, eyes and lips. It's also hard for me to breath. I'm also allergic to DUST, but not much I can do about that since it's every where. When I was younger my parents had to tear up all the carpet in the house, I couldn't wear sweaters and I could not wear my hair out. Looks like my son may end up with the same allergies. I pray he does not. He told me yesterday, that I must not cry, I'll feel better soon. I told him, mommy is not cry, my eyes are running. He replies, your eyes are running, where are they going? I couldn't even laugh.

Tre, not only am I allergic to mold and trees, I am allergic to cigaretta smoke. With the mold allery I shouldn't have carpet in my home. I have hardwood on my first leve, but I have to have carpet in the bedrooms, since they are all on the 3rd level. My doc. stated that as I get older, my allergies will probably get worst. I don't see my self moving to Arizona... doc also explain that those same trees I am allergic to here have been transplanted in the midwest, since people have become so transit.

This allery business only started as I became an adult.

Keep plenty of kleenex handy. Buy stock in kleenex.

Bless

Timeline
*****GOOD NEWS*****

:dance::dance:Ken got a job! :dance::dance: He is going to be working at a Jamaican/Chinese Restaurant/Night Club! Doing what he does...being a Jack of all trades!!! :D My Dad knows the owner and told him to bring Ken down last night for an 11:00pm interview :blink: ...I was like pure foolishness that! But, Ken came back like... :D . He said "Baby Gurl, mi mash hup deh hinterview! Mi tell deh ooman nuf tings mi see fuh fix and clean up inna dis place!" He gave his resume & letters of recommendation! Then he started pointing out things to her and how he could fix it or make it better... she was like..."YOU'RE HIRED!!! Come back tomorrow at 9AM!!!" ;)

Plus because he is legal she started him off at a DYAM good rate and told him she will increase it if he saves her $$ on hiring outside people to fix things!! She also told him if he does a good job she will continue to allow him to work there until he gets his green card!! :D THANK GOD!!! GOD IS GOOD!!! So I dropped him off this morning! He was so excited...I almost felt like I was dropping off one of my kids at school for the first time!

Thank you all for your prayers and blessings!

We sincerely appreciate it!

Have a happy Monday!

Gill

That's great Gill -- and Ken!! I bet he is happy as can be today.

http://cid-066381b807d3bf43.spaces.live.com/photos/

this link should work to see pics.....

oh my gosh! nanny!! she is SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks!!! :star:

Ohhhhh Nans...what an absolute angel!!! So darn cute!! Although some of those pics...she didn't look to pleased with all of your clicking!! Like she was saying "Oh, I wish the paparazzi would go away!!!" :lol:

Too cute!!!

Many blessings,

Gill

just can't get enough pics.... :wub:

Absolutely not!! You keep taking them because they just change so much month to month. And videos too if you can. My kids LOVE to watch homevideos of themselves from when they were younger.

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger....

Timeline
GOOD MORNING my BEAUTIFUL SITAHS;

Dear Lord;

Another week is before us and we come to you together in need. Lord, this week we pray for all the violence and accidents that's plaging our beautiful country of Jamaica to come to a END. Lord I ask only this; PEACE be STILL not only in Jamaica, but every where else. AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!

Lord, please watch over Mike tomorrow while he's a the embassy for his interview. Please guide and direct the CO as they grant him his approval and Lord, thanks for watching over JG and her family last week.

Please feel free to add to this, if the spirt hits you.

Amen and Amen.

Thank you for including Mike in your prayers today. I will let him know that you are wishing him goodluck. :thumbs:

Support "OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE" Help a child go to school

Timeline
*****GOOD NEWS*****

:dance::dance:Ken got a job! :dance::dance: He is going to be working at a Jamaican/Chinese Restaurant/Night Club! Doing what he does...being a Jack of all trades!!! :D My Dad knows the owner and told him to bring Ken down last night for an 11:00pm interview :blink: ...I was like pure foolishness that! But, Ken came back like... :D . He said "Baby Gurl, mi mash hup deh hinterview! Mi tell deh ooman nuf tings mi see fuh fix and clean up inna dis place!" He gave his resume & letters of recommendation! Then he started pointing out things to her and how he could fix it or make it better... she was like..."YOU'RE HIRED!!! Come back tomorrow at 9AM!!!" ;)

Plus because he is legal she started him off at a DYAM good rate and told him she will increase it if he saves her $$ on hiring outside people to fix things!! She also told him if he does a good job she will continue to allow him to work there until he gets his green card!! :D THANK GOD!!! GOD IS GOOD!!! So I dropped him off this morning! He was so excited...I almost felt like I was dropping off one of my kids at school for the first time!

Thank you all for your prayers and blessings!

We sincerely appreciate it!

Have a happy Monday!

Gill

Gill, that is such great news!!! Is it at Nakisaki in LI? I just loved to go to that restaurant when I lived in NYC. The ambience in awesome. I was not too impressed with the one in Queens, so I had to take the jaunt to LI to enjoy the great food and atmosphere. The club is also off the chain and I love it too. :thumbs:

Not to get off topic, but tell Ken Congrats for me. :thumbs:

Support "OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE" Help a child go to school

Timeline
How long has Kimani been working there? Ricky?

Kimani I think 5 years and Ricky 3 years. Kimani was a cook then he went into bartending. Ricky was at the front desk, but he got into it with a guest (the guest was wrong), they moved him to housekeeping then bartending (I think). I hope the workers do not lose their jobs. I took a picuture of the Riu last month the new one in Mobay. Marcel's uncle works over there and we brought him lunch one day all I can say is WOW! I'm thinking they're going to tear down the gas station that's near there. It's kind of unslightly. If you don't look for it you'll miss it. The Riu is pushed back into the corner. While I was there last month there was a protest of some sort, because there must be a rastah village or something near there and they saying the owners for Riu were dupping trash on their property and the government won't do anything about ti.

Pretty sure I know both of them. I'll have to dig out our going away party pictures. All the bartenders were over.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
:ot: I'm picking your yardie brains, again. Can you rent a post office box in JA like we can here? Since my mail has been dropped off at my doorstep all my life I still haven't grasped how the JA mail system works, other than being untrustworthy.

Thanks! (F)

I have not had one complaint about the JA mail system. 8 days from whenever I mailed something to Andre, he went to pick it up. Like clock work. The ladies at the post office (White Sands) were lovely.

Thanks. I haven't had any trouble with anything I mailed getting lost yet either, but it takes 10 days (must be slower here in the bush - lol!) Our trouble is Anthony's mailing address is his family home in Hanover, however right now he is living and working in Kingston. So when I mail him something (and now the embassy) he has to make the trip to Hanover to get it. I was just trying to figure out a simpler way.......

******NEWS FLASH*******

Hey Guys,

I just got a piece of sad news...for all of us H. I. peeps. Ken's friend just told him that HI will be closing their doors as of June!

:( Of course I am sure they will renovate and be back...but that GREAT price for GREAT fun is probably long gone!

Alright, enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Bless-ed,

Gill

I just received an email from the Director of Sales of the Hol Inn Sunspree Montego Bay. He is currently in Jamaica and he is not aware of the hotel closing or being sold to anyone. He told me that the hotel is in **consideration** of renovating and if that happens it will be Sept for 1 month (because of the slow time). He was very interested to know who started this rumor....I said I just heard from a client of a client...

If I hear of any other information, I'll be sure to forward it to everyone.

Kelly

Just received another email from the Sales office...

The hotel was sold to the Hendricks's family (owners of Courtleigh & Sunset). They will be taking 1 block of rooms out at a time in order to renovate the rooms. We have not been told the hotel was closing. For now it's business as usual.

Hope this helps !

Kelly

Kelly, Thanks for sharing that bit of news. I hope all is well with the travel business.

Be Blessed

Roxcie

Timeline

Morning all - Every time I tried to log in here to post and read, I got interrupted today!

Good luck Mike on the interview!

Gill, congrats to Ken on the job! Is it Nagasaki? I spent many nights there, lol!

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Thanks! (F)

Thanks. I haven't had any trouble with anything I mailed getting lost yet either, but it takes 10 days (must be slower here in the bush - lol!) Our trouble is Anthony's mailing address is his family home in Hanover, however right now he is living and working in Kingston. So when I mail him something (and now the embassy) he has to make the trip to Hanover to get it. I was just trying to figure out a simpler way.......

Hey Girl,

That's country, just like my beautiful TRELAWNY (don't get me started on their mail system). Marcel lives in Montego Bay and uses the Rosehall post office. I don't know why it would so long for him to get packet 4 and packet 3 got to him before I even got to the island. They mailed out packet 3 two days after getting the case from NVC. For some reason they used the wrong post office the 2nd time around. I just don't get it and I'm getting FUSTRATED :angry: They told me if he does not get it this week to send them an email with a date that he can come pick it up.

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

Thanks! (F)

Hey Girl,

That's country, just like my beautiful TRELAWNY (don't get me started on their mail system). Marcel lives in Montego Bay and uses the Rosehall post office. I don't know why it would so long for him to get packet 4 and packet 3 got to him before I even got to the island. They mailed out packet 3 two days after getting the case from NVC. For some reason they used the wrong post office the 2nd time around. I just don't get it and I'm getting FUSTRATED :angry: They told me if he does not get it this week to send them an email with a date that he can come pick it up.

I love Hanover country!! I told him that's where I want my house in JA (when I get rich, of course!!) I'm flying into Kingston and staying there a couple of nights and then driving to Hanover for a couple. I will definitely be ready for Hanover life after being in Kingston.

So you can just pick a post office you want to use and if you are expecting something just check on it?? And to think we have such formalities here in the US!!

I'll go work on my Miss Cleo for your packet 4!! :yes::lol: At least you have plenty of time for it to show up before your interview.

Morning all - Every time I tried to log in here to post and read, I got interrupted today!

Gill, congrats to Ken on the job! Is it Nagasaki? I spent many nights there, lol!

Love the meez Sus!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Ditto, is the club still upstairs? Congrats to Ken!!!!!!

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I'm glad the HI has been bought out. I think the Jamaica Grande has really improved since the change of management and I hope the same will happen at the HI....What's more, I think it's fantastic that it's back in JAMAICAN hands...I HATED the way I saw some of the local Jamaican visitors to the hotel being treated....

my sister is going to get married there in Aug. at jamaica grande and kids up to age 15 are free, can't wait to go. l love the food at jamaica grande. i met one of the owners when I got locked out of my room coming home from Amnesia at 4am. I only stayed at holiday inn once. the beach was great, but I can't say I liked the food.

Ohhhhhhhhh JENGS I'm going tell. Wah u a do a come fram nightclub so late. :lol: I don't care for the food at Jamaican Grande. My other problem (I didn't like how they treated the locals). I found it very insulting and digusting and I complained. I understand security is there to protect the guest and to secure the grounds, but to hear someone say "hey bway, wah u a do ovah yah" is completly out of line. My cousin's wristband was clearly in site. He claimed he didn't see it. And they've improved in service. When my cousin was married there in 2007, it them 3 hours to check in 8 people. They overbooked the hotel, our reservation was made almost 6 months in advance so we didn't want to here (*$&.

that was the only night, we stayed in Ochi it was our first night in j.a., they were renovationg back then and it was just horrible, so my friends complained and we ended up in Montego Bay in a suite. The food at the RIU to me left a lot to be desired, not enough seasoning, or maybe because I was preggo when we stayed at RIU and couldn't eat anything spicy.

three hours to check in???? I would have went off??

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.