Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 6)

13,621 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I can finally come up for some air! The past six weeks have been me struggling in my Statistics class. The sad thing is that I'm praying to pass with a D.

I left my job and have been on the hunt for a higher paying position that is closer to home. I have three potential choices so now just waiting on the Lord to give me some direction in regard to what company to work for.

Hope everyone has been doing well!

Hey Jonesie. Gavin is so cute :wub:

Good luck on your job search.

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I can finally come up for some air! The past six weeks have been me struggling in my Statistics class. The sad thing is that I'm praying to pass with a D.

I left my job and have been on the hunt for a higher paying position that is closer to home. I have three potential choices so now just waiting on the Lord to give me some direction in regard to what company to work for.

your son is SO cute!!!!!

No worries everything always works itself out!!! :star:

I hope to make a decision by the middle f this month. Is it bad that I'll have to tell my employer that we already have a two week trip scheduled for August? :blush::whistle:

Thx - my lil prince is already a flirt, he knows how and when to turn on the charm. Hubby said "future gyallis" :bonk:

i don't think it is bad...i would just be upfront with them...i don't think it would be a problem....

you can tell he is a little charmer!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Congrats Nbsaw. Adjustment is hard; but it will be fine. Only thing I have to add is do not give up your independence girl.

Gilly.....you reminded me of what Andre did to me............he called me April 1, 2005 from JA at about 3 a.m. and told me he was in the hospital. He said he'd been in a car accident and had gashed his head really bad, requiring stitches, broke his leg, and they thought he might lose his eye. I was hanging up to call the airlines when he yelled APRIL FOOLS. I hung up on him and didn't talk to him all that day. I still cuss him for that when he brings it up.

Send some prayers out for Mindy. She mailed off their Lifting of Conditions today!

Thanks JG! It is hard. I don't want to give up my independence, but just tone it down a bit. I have been living on my own or 4 yrs and I do everything for myself! I just want to step back and be able to let him take out the trash, or assist me in something, things of that nature. Basicly, just adjusting to the fact that it is not just Nakia....it is now Andrew & Nakia. :dance:

Nakia...four words for you PATIENCE, PRAYER, PATIENCE and more PRAYER. My husband has been here almost 4 years and he's still adjusting....

Anything is possible...just work and talk through your issues/differences...

and lets add another patience to that list.... :lol:

Nakia...everything you said mike said and or did....didn't want to put the seatbelt on...thought everything was so over priced and would say well this amount of money could buy me this this and this in JA money....aaahh it would drive me crazy!!! It just takes some time!!

OMG!! So it's not just me, lol!! It does drive me crazy too! I am starting to be more patient. I'm like brother you are not in JA anymore!!! lol. Gotta love it!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Jamaica

Began communicating with Andrew December 2006

Met Andrew in person in Jamaica: June 22, 2007

Got Engaged June 23, 2007

I-129F Sent : 2007-07-27

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-08-22

Went back to visit Jamaica November 22, 2007

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-12-23

NVC Received : 2007-12-31

NVC Left : 2008-01-01

Consulate Received : 2008-01-08

Packet 3 Received : 2008-01-17

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-01-18

Packet 4 Received : 2008-02-07

Interview Date : 2008-03-11 @ 8:45am APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Visa Received : 2008-03-26

US Entry : Atlanta, Friday March 28!!!!

SSN Received: APril 24, 2008

Marriage : 2008-06-07

AOS Filed: 2008-06-26

Work Permit Photos Taken: 2008-06-22

Comments : Keep in touch via e-mail as much as possible. they always had answers for me at least by the next day.

Processing

I LOVE MY DREW BOO!!! Let the Countdown Begin...Thank you God!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hey SJB! Thanks :)

Good luck to you on lifting conditions! We are sending the paperwork off next month. What did you pay in fees?

N-400 - Naturalization/Citizenship

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/09/12 - Biometrics notice received, biometrics appointment date 11/19/12

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

02/26/13 - OATH CEREMONY COMPLETED - NATURALIZED US CITIZEN!

751 - Removing Conditions

06/28/08 - Sent 751 packet to CSC via USPS Priority Mail (signature required)

07/05/08 - NOA received, dated 6/30/08

10/23/08 - Card ordered: APPROVED! (USCIS website)

10/30/08 - 10 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

K-1 and AOS

07/07/05 - K1 Packet received - USPS tracking

09/19/05 - K1 approval online

12/01/05 - 1st K1 interview in Kingston: need updated birth certificate

12/13/05 - 2nd K1 interview in Kingston: Approved!

05/01/06 - AOS/EAD packet received

08/09/06 - AOS interview in SF: APPROVED!

08/19/06 - 2 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

-----------

Live your life!

Timeline

Good luck to you on lifting conditions! We are sending the paperwork off next month. What did you pay in fees?

Thanks. Damien had his biometrics done but no NOA extension letter yet :angry: I think the fee is $545. Sorry I tried to forget about it :blush:

Timeline
Congrats Nbsaw. Adjustment is hard; but it will be fine. Only thing I have to add is do not give up your independence girl.

Gilly.....you reminded me of what Andre did to me............he called me April 1, 2005 from JA at about 3 a.m. and told me he was in the hospital. He said he'd been in a car accident and had gashed his head really bad, requiring stitches, broke his leg, and they thought he might lose his eye. I was hanging up to call the airlines when he yelled APRIL FOOLS. I hung up on him and didn't talk to him all that day. I still cuss him for that when he brings it up.

Send some prayers out for Mindy. She mailed off their Lifting of Conditions today!

Thanks JG! It is hard. I don't want to give up my independence, but just tone it down a bit. I have been living on my own or 4 yrs and I do everything for myself! I just want to step back and be able to let him take out the trash, or assist me in something, things of that nature. Basicly, just adjusting to the fact that it is not just Nakia....it is now Andrew & Nakia. :dance:

Nakia...four words for you PATIENCE, PRAYER, PATIENCE and more PRAYER. My husband has been here almost 4 years and he's still adjusting....

Nakia...everything you said mike said and or did....didn't want to put the seatbelt on...thought everything was so over priced and would say well this amount of money could buy me this this and this in JA money....aaahh it would drive me crazy!!! It just takes some time!!

OMG!! So it's not just me, lol!! It does drive me crazy too! I am starting to be more patient. I'm like brother you are not in JA anymore!!! lol. Gotta love it!

:lol: it will take him some time to remember that!! i know this is easier said then done...but try to remember he has never lived here before and everything is a NEW experience.... so what we might think as normal or typical to him he is like a kid in a candy store!!! and just remember to communicate!!! i think going to premarriage councling is a great idea!!!

Thanks. Damien had his biometrics done but no NOA extension letter yet :angry: I think the fee is $545. Sorry I tried to forget about it :blush:

i forgot it was so high.... :wacko: yet another fee......

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

*kissteet* well I thought it cost more so I shouldn't be complaining. Dem too tief - love fi rob wi naah true? He had the biometrics already? That was quick!

N-400 - Naturalization/Citizenship

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/09/12 - Biometrics notice received, biometrics appointment date 11/19/12

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

02/26/13 - OATH CEREMONY COMPLETED - NATURALIZED US CITIZEN!

751 - Removing Conditions

06/28/08 - Sent 751 packet to CSC via USPS Priority Mail (signature required)

07/05/08 - NOA received, dated 6/30/08

10/23/08 - Card ordered: APPROVED! (USCIS website)

10/30/08 - 10 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

K-1 and AOS

07/07/05 - K1 Packet received - USPS tracking

09/19/05 - K1 approval online

12/01/05 - 1st K1 interview in Kingston: need updated birth certificate

12/13/05 - 2nd K1 interview in Kingston: Approved!

05/01/06 - AOS/EAD packet received

08/09/06 - AOS interview in SF: APPROVED!

08/19/06 - 2 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

-----------

Live your life!

Timeline

*kissteet* well I thought it cost more so I shouldn't be complaining. Dem too tief - love fi rob wi naah true? He had the biometrics already? That was quick!

No too bad considering it's a ten year card but we paid so much for the AOS due FBI to the security checks. We paid for 2 EADs and the AP after his AOS interview. Oh well....at least he was here to share the cost.

We'll have to get his passport stamped if we don't receive the letter by April 14th so he can continue to work and travel. We're going back to JA August 1-9. When are you going?

Timeline

:lol: it will take him some time to remember that!! i know this is easier said then done...but try to remember he has never lived here before and everything is a NEW experience.... so what we might think as normal or typical to him he is like a kid in a candy store!!! and just remember to communicate!!! i think going to premarriage councling is a great idea!!!

Thanks Nanny!! I will try to remember what you said. It is all so true. Please be there if I need a friendly reminder :thumbs: lol.

i forgot it was so high.... :wacko: yet another fee......

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Jamaica

Began communicating with Andrew December 2006

Met Andrew in person in Jamaica: June 22, 2007

Got Engaged June 23, 2007

I-129F Sent : 2007-07-27

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-08-22

Went back to visit Jamaica November 22, 2007

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-12-23

NVC Received : 2007-12-31

NVC Left : 2008-01-01

Consulate Received : 2008-01-08

Packet 3 Received : 2008-01-17

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-01-18

Packet 4 Received : 2008-02-07

Interview Date : 2008-03-11 @ 8:45am APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Visa Received : 2008-03-26

US Entry : Atlanta, Friday March 28!!!!

SSN Received: APril 24, 2008

Marriage : 2008-06-07

AOS Filed: 2008-06-26

Work Permit Photos Taken: 2008-06-22

Comments : Keep in touch via e-mail as much as possible. they always had answers for me at least by the next day.

Processing

I LOVE MY DREW BOO!!! Let the Countdown Begin...Thank you God!!!

i would have exploded on them and asked to speak with the supervisor....and told them a little bit about themselves....

Supervisor actually come over and dealt with me....she was lovely, she tried to see if there was any way of overriding the system, she couldn't do anything :(

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

:rofl: Lawd Gawd...han I thought I was bad!!!

Good luck and many blessings Mindyfay!!! :thumbs:

06/08/08- Married my best friend!

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

12/11/08- Package received at USCIS Chicago lockbox

12/19/08- Check cashed by USCIS

12/27/08-Biometrics appt letter recieved

01/05/09- CRIS email notification-I-485 Case transferred to CSC

01/06/09- Biometrics complete

03/02/09- AP received via USPS

03/05/09- EAD received via USPS

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

04/28/09- Received CRIS email 'Welcome Letter' mailed

05/04/2009- Conditional 2 year Green Card received

CF906-K_lg.jpgA heart that loves is 'Forever Young'!CF906-G_lg.jpg

Who JAH bless..no man can curse!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Timeline

Thank you so much SJ! That sounds like a winning combination for me! How long did it take him for the main adjustments.. like transportation, food, etc. Did he have a tough time? I know it is not easy, but I want to try to make it as smooth as possible. Thank you again for that advice. That word patience is floating around quite a bit lately...I think God is telling me something!

My husband adapted to the transportation issues pretty quickly. I work 2 jobs and if he wanted to get around, he had to learn the bus system. Sometimes in between jobs, I would pick him up and he would hang out at the mall for a while and then take the bus home or take the bus out and then ride home with me.

The food issue, I adapted to. He cooks so we mostly eat Jamaican foods to this day.

The phone calls you mentioned were an issue in the beginning. You really have to sit them down and explain that calls are not free in the US. I asked Andre to limit himself to calling his family just a few days a week and his friends each like once a month. If they called and had credit, the sky was the limit. But, if we were paying, it had to be limited. He has a sister in NY so with free nationwide LD, they talk often. It does taper off naturally. He now calls him mom about once a week and if she needs him, she comes up with phone credit. His friends seem to have kind of faded away after some issues. Those he still talks to are few and most are now via the internet.

You know the funny thing about that is Andre had only positive things to say about the cost of things here. The rules seemed to bother him most of all. And all the freakin' paperwork for everything!

I am pissed the HELL OFF!!!

In AUGUST I went to the MVA to get a learner's permit for MD.

They asked me if I had ever held a license before, I said NO, just a learner's permit in England. They asked to see it, so I produced it.

They then told me, I could NOT have a learner's permit here, I had to CONVERT it and do a 3 hour drug and alcohol program.

I even EMAILED them AFTER to check this was RIGHT!

So I did the alcohol and drug course in SEPTEMBER, and the driving school finally gave me the certificate in DECEMBER.

I went back to the MVA in January to make an appointment for the driving test, by which point my I-94 had expired, so the bastards told me MAKE AN APPOINTMENT!

There were no January appointments left, I was told to call in FEBRUARY.

I made an appointment on the 6th of FEB for TODAY (two FREAKING MONTHS LATER).

TODAY I go in, they say 'SORRY YOU NEED A LEARNER'S PERMIT'??????????

Now, the FRIGGED up thing about it, is that I have to hold the learner's permit for SIX FREAKING months until I can drive on my OWN?????

I am sooo pissed and disgusted with those stupid a$$holes right now.

Sorry to hear that. My hubby's experience here in Cali was really easy. The same day he got his license (which was about three months after getting permit) he bought a car and was hittin the road like a speed demon :whistle:. He said the written test was the most complicated part of the whole process.

Same here. Andre took the written 3 or 4 times before he passed. He passed the driving on the first try.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
hello everyone me wanted fe gi me update!

Me call Dwayne teday and he sey he get notice of packet at one dem post office! I'm still haffi finish dem DS230 and den sen hit DHL fe drop off. Ei seem like things move fast ei amazing! :dance::star:

Wakey

Mi Rahtid!!! Wakey...is who yuh knoa hat deh VSC!!!! Bwoy, mi neva see ah petition guh through suh fas! CONGRATS my Gurl...CONGRATS!!!! Mek sure you send the embassy an email asking dem for an drop-off appointment for the DS-230!

:dance::dance::dance: Congrats again!!!

Bless-ed,

Gill

P.S.- How yuh sista doing? Please hail har hup fuh mi!

GILL......you ready for tomorrow?

Bwoy, Dimps mi a try fi duh a ting or two before em reach! I want to finish fixing up his place...get my hair, eyebrows & nails done! Then ... I will be ready...although I've been ready for us to start this part of our lives over a year now!!! :luv::luv: I just cyan't wait to see him walk through the doors at JFK!! I've pictured it FOREVER and the reality will be surreal fuh sure!

06/08/08- Married my best friend!

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

12/11/08- Package received at USCIS Chicago lockbox

12/19/08- Check cashed by USCIS

12/27/08-Biometrics appt letter recieved

01/05/09- CRIS email notification-I-485 Case transferred to CSC

01/06/09- Biometrics complete

03/02/09- AP received via USPS

03/05/09- EAD received via USPS

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

04/28/09- Received CRIS email 'Welcome Letter' mailed

05/04/2009- Conditional 2 year Green Card received

CF906-K_lg.jpgA heart that loves is 'Forever Young'!CF906-G_lg.jpg

Who JAH bless..no man can curse!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Filed: Timeline

Okay ya'll can't laugh at me. Yesterday I had a taste for ackee and salt fish, dumpling, dashee, bannana, cocoa and sweet potato. So, I went to buy some flour yesterday and picked up the wrong kind. I think I picked up self-rising instead of all purpose and the damn dumpling them swell up big and until the pot top pop off. When I walked in the kitchen I had about 6 dumplings on the floor. Oh, well, next time I'll be more careful.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Timeline
I am pissed the HELL OFF!!!

In AUGUST I went to the MVA to get a learner's permit for MD.

They asked me if I had ever held a license before, I said NO, just a learner's permit in England. They asked to see it, so I produced it.

They then told me, I could NOT have a learner's permit here, I had to CONVERT it and do a 3 hour drug and alcohol program.

I even EMAILED them AFTER to check this was RIGHT!

So I did the alcohol and drug course in SEPTEMBER, and the driving school finally gave me the certificate in DECEMBER.

I went back to the MVA in January to make an appointment for the driving test, by which point my I-94 had expired, so the bastards told me MAKE AN APPOINTMENT!

There were no January appointments left, I was told to call in FEBRUARY.

I made an appointment on the 6th of FEB for TODAY (two FREAKING MONTHS LATER).

TODAY I go in, they say 'SORRY YOU NEED A LEARNER'S PERMIT'??????????

Now, the FRIGGED up thing about it, is that I have to hold the learner's permit for SIX FREAKING months until I can drive on my OWN?????

I am sooo pissed and disgusted with those stupid a$$holes right now.

Oh English, I'm sorry. Did you go the one in Beltsville? They gave my brother-in-law the same run around. He had a VALID license from Cameron and they told him he had to get a learners after making 3 appointments. He was being told different things and different times in the process. That is just crazy. And this new appointment thing which they implement several years ago is suppose to cut down on the lines.

Only a few MVA deal with foreign documents. Made an appointment in September for December. We had to go all the way to Waldorf. Damien had to go to driving school with a bunch of 16 year olds.

I think the entire process sucks!

Yeah it does. That's one of things your fiance could be working on when he first gets here. I had no idea it could almost a year. That's one of my regrets...altough I wasn't ready for him to drive...especially my car LOL.

I'm glad Ray has his driver's license already.

ROC

Filed at Vermont Service Center

ROC Filing date:--------08-02-2011

Express Mail card recd stating package was recd on: 08-03-2011

NOA1 rec'd dated:-------08-04-2011

Check Cashed:-----------08-08-2011

Biometrics Appt scheduled for: ----09-23-2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.