Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 6)

13,621 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I am pissed the HELL OFF!!!

In AUGUST I went to the MVA to get a learner's permit for MD.

They asked me if I had ever held a license before, I said NO, just a learner's permit in England. They asked to see it, so I produced it.

They then told me, I could NOT have a learner's permit here, I had to CONVERT it and do a 3 hour drug and alcohol program.

I even EMAILED them AFTER to check this was RIGHT!

So I did the alcohol and drug course in SEPTEMBER, and the driving school finally gave me the certificate in DECEMBER.

I went back to the MVA in January to make an appointment for the driving test, by which point my I-94 had expired, so the bastards told me MAKE AN APPOINTMENT!

There were no January appointments left, I was told to call in FEBRUARY.

I made an appointment on the 6th of FEB for TODAY (two FREAKING MONTHS LATER).

TODAY I go in, they say 'SORRY YOU NEED A LEARNER'S PERMIT'??????????

Now, the FRIGGED up thing about it, is that I have to hold the learner's permit for SIX FREAKING months until I can drive on my OWN?????

I am sooo pissed and disgusted with those stupid a$$holes right now.

i would have exploded on them and asked to speak with the supervisor....and told them a little bit about themselves....

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Congrats Nbsaw. Adjustment is hard; but it will be fine. Only thing I have to add is do not give up your independence girl.

Gilly.....you reminded me of what Andre did to me............he called me April 1, 2005 from JA at about 3 a.m. and told me he was in the hospital. He said he'd been in a car accident and had gashed his head really bad, requiring stitches, broke his leg, and they thought he might lose his eye. I was hanging up to call the airlines when he yelled APRIL FOOLS. I hung up on him and didn't talk to him all that day. I still cuss him for that when he brings it up.

Send some prayers out for Mindy. She mailed off their Lifting of Conditions today!

Thanks JG! It is hard. I don't want to give up my independence, but just tone it down a bit. I have been living on my own or 4 yrs and I do everything for myself! I just want to step back and be able to let him take out the trash, or assist me in something, things of that nature. Basicly, just adjusting to the fact that it is not just Nakia....it is now Andrew & Nakia. :dance:

Nakia...four words for you PATIENCE, PRAYER, PATIENCE and more PRAYER. My husband has been here almost 4 years and he's still adjusting....

Anything is possible...just work and talk through your issues/differences...

Thank you so much SJ! That sounds like a winning combination for me! How long did it take him for the main adjustments.. like transportation, food, etc. Did he have a tough time? I know it is not easy, but I want to try to make it as smooth as possible. Thank you again for that advice. That word patience is floating around quite a bit lately...I think God is telling me something!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Jamaica

Began communicating with Andrew December 2006

Met Andrew in person in Jamaica: June 22, 2007

Got Engaged June 23, 2007

I-129F Sent : 2007-07-27

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-08-22

Went back to visit Jamaica November 22, 2007

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-12-23

NVC Received : 2007-12-31

NVC Left : 2008-01-01

Consulate Received : 2008-01-08

Packet 3 Received : 2008-01-17

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-01-18

Packet 4 Received : 2008-02-07

Interview Date : 2008-03-11 @ 8:45am APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Visa Received : 2008-03-26

US Entry : Atlanta, Friday March 28!!!!

SSN Received: APril 24, 2008

Marriage : 2008-06-07

AOS Filed: 2008-06-26

Work Permit Photos Taken: 2008-06-22

Comments : Keep in touch via e-mail as much as possible. they always had answers for me at least by the next day.

Processing

I LOVE MY DREW BOO!!! Let the Countdown Begin...Thank you God!!!

Timeline
Congrats Nbsaw. Adjustment is hard; but it will be fine. Only thing I have to add is do not give up your independence girl.

Gilly.....you reminded me of what Andre did to me............he called me April 1, 2005 from JA at about 3 a.m. and told me he was in the hospital. He said he'd been in a car accident and had gashed his head really bad, requiring stitches, broke his leg, and they thought he might lose his eye. I was hanging up to call the airlines when he yelled APRIL FOOLS. I hung up on him and didn't talk to him all that day. I still cuss him for that when he brings it up.

Send some prayers out for Mindy. She mailed off their Lifting of Conditions today!

Thanks JG! It is hard. I don't want to give up my independence, but just tone it down a bit. I have been living on my own or 4 yrs and I do everything for myself! I just want to step back and be able to let him take out the trash, or assist me in something, things of that nature. Basicly, just adjusting to the fact that it is not just Nakia....it is now Andrew & Nakia. :dance:

Nakia...four words for you PATIENCE, PRAYER, PATIENCE and more PRAYER. My husband has been here almost 4 years and he's still adjusting....

You probably need that before they get here and after lol! Much luck to you Nakia....

ROC

Filed at Vermont Service Center

ROC Filing date:--------08-02-2011

Express Mail card recd stating package was recd on: 08-03-2011

NOA1 rec'd dated:-------08-04-2011

Check Cashed:-----------08-08-2011

Biometrics Appt scheduled for: ----09-23-2011

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Didn't I tell 'ya MVA is CRAZY. Getting Damien's license was a PITA. Maryland is the worst!!

Just checking in...waiting for TNW's news.

Congrats on all of the approvals and arrivals.

So happy to see you posting again :)

Well, I'm like frig it, I'm going to get a JA license when I go down in May.

I'll drive on that until I can get a proper license....

Thanks.

Good idea.

Filed: Timeline

They asked me if I had ever held a license before, I said NO, just a learner's permit in England. They asked to see it, so I produced it.

They then told me, I could NOT have a learner's permit here, I had to CONVERT it and do a 3 hour drug and alcohol program.

So I did the alcohol and drug course in SEPTEMBER, and the driving school finally gave me the certificate in DECEMBER.

I went back to the MVA in January to make an appointment for the driving test, by which point my I-94 had expired, so the bastards told me MAKE AN APPOINTMENT!

Now, the FRIGGED up thing about it, is that I have to hold the learner's permit for SIX FREAKING months until I can drive on my OWN?????

Oh English, I'm sorry. Did you go the one in Beltsville? They gave my brother-in-law the same run around. He had a VALID license from Cameron and they told him he had to get a learners after making 3 appointments. He was being told different things and different times in the process. That is just crazy. And this new appointment thing which they implement several years ago is suppose to cut down on the lines.

Only a few MVA deal with foreign documents. Made an appointment in September for December. We had to go all the way to Waldorf. Damien had to go to driving school with a bunch of 16 year olds.

I think the entire process sucks!

Sunny --

Make sure Ray don't let his JA license EXPIRE.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

and lets add another patience to that list.... :lol:

Nakia...everything you said mike said and or did....didn't want to put the seatbelt on...thought everything was so over priced and would say well this amount of money could buy me this this and this in JA money....aaahh it would drive me crazy!!! It just takes some time!!

Timeline

Oh English, I'm sorry. Did you go the one in Beltsville? They gave my brother-in-law the same run around. He had a VALID license from Cameron and they told him he had to get a learners after making 3 appointments. He was being told different things and different times in the process. That is just crazy. And this new appointment thing which they implement several years ago is suppose to cut down on the lines.

Only a few MVA deal with foreign documents. Made an appointment in September for December. We had to go all the way to Waldorf. Damien had to go to driving school with a bunch of 16 year olds.

I think the entire process sucks!

Yeah it does. That's one of things your fiance could be working on when he first gets here. I had no idea it could almost a year. That's one of my regrets...altough I wasn't ready for him to drive...especially my car LOL.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I can finally come up for some air! The past six weeks have been me struggling in my Statistics class. The sad thing is that I'm praying to pass with a D.

I left my job and have been on the hunt for a higher paying position that is closer to home. I have three potential choices so now just waiting on the Lord to give me some direction in regard to what company to work for.

Hope everyone has been doing well!

N-400 - Naturalization/Citizenship

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/09/12 - Biometrics notice received, biometrics appointment date 11/19/12

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

02/26/13 - OATH CEREMONY COMPLETED - NATURALIZED US CITIZEN!

751 - Removing Conditions

06/28/08 - Sent 751 packet to CSC via USPS Priority Mail (signature required)

07/05/08 - NOA received, dated 6/30/08

10/23/08 - Card ordered: APPROVED! (USCIS website)

10/30/08 - 10 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

K-1 and AOS

07/07/05 - K1 Packet received - USPS tracking

09/19/05 - K1 approval online

12/01/05 - 1st K1 interview in Kingston: need updated birth certificate

12/13/05 - 2nd K1 interview in Kingston: Approved!

05/01/06 - AOS/EAD packet received

08/09/06 - AOS interview in SF: APPROVED!

08/19/06 - 2 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

-----------

Live your life!

Timeline
I can finally come up for some air! The past six weeks have been me struggling in my Statistics class. The sad thing is that I'm praying to pass with a D.

I left my job and have been on the hunt for a higher paying position that is closer to home. I have three potential choices so now just waiting on the Lord to give me some direction in regard to what company to work for.

your son is SO cute!!!!!

No worries everything always works itself out!!! :star:

Edited by nannygirl82

Timeline

What state are you in English?? That sounds exactly like what my sister-in-law had to go through when she moved here from Japan. Sorry to hear it. DMV is another form of headache like USCIS.

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger....

Timeline

Sorry to hear that. My hubby's experience here in Cali was really easy. The same day he got his license (which was about three months after getting permit) he bought a car and was hittin the road like a speed demon :whistle:. He said the written test was the most complicated part of the whole process.

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

K-1 and AOS

-----------

Live your life!

Timeline

You probably need that before they get here and after lol! Much luck to you Nakia....

lol! Thanks Sunny!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Jamaica

Began communicating with Andrew December 2006

Met Andrew in person in Jamaica: June 22, 2007

Got Engaged June 23, 2007

I-129F Sent : 2007-07-27

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-08-22

Went back to visit Jamaica November 22, 2007

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-12-23

NVC Received : 2007-12-31

NVC Left : 2008-01-01

Consulate Received : 2008-01-08

Packet 3 Received : 2008-01-17

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-01-18

Packet 4 Received : 2008-02-07

Interview Date : 2008-03-11 @ 8:45am APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Visa Received : 2008-03-26

US Entry : Atlanta, Friday March 28!!!!

SSN Received: APril 24, 2008

Marriage : 2008-06-07

AOS Filed: 2008-06-26

Work Permit Photos Taken: 2008-06-22

Comments : Keep in touch via e-mail as much as possible. they always had answers for me at least by the next day.

Processing

I LOVE MY DREW BOO!!! Let the Countdown Begin...Thank you God!!!

Timeline
Thank you so much SJ! That sounds like a winning combination for me! How long did it take him for the main adjustments.. like transportation, food, etc. Did he have a tough time? I know it is not easy, but I want to try to make it as smooth as possible. Thank you again for that advice. That word patience is floating around quite a bit lately...I think God is telling me something!

Damien adjusted easily to the main adjustments like transportation and food. He caught the bus and subway for a long time so he knows how to get around easily...not picky about food..most times. Besides one day he's on a diet and the next day he's eating a #7 from McDonalds :wacko:

He has a problem with some of the rules, being polite and table manners. I was raised by my Grandmother so I would get my teeth knocked outta my mouth if I didn't have manners.

A lady from another thread taught me about being patient and sometimes being the bigger person before my husband got here. I always go back to e-mails from 2004....that helped me out alot.

Things will get better as time goes on but it's still a process.

Timeline

your son is SO cute!!!!!

No worries everything always works itself out!!! :star:

I hope to make a decision by the middle f this month. Is it bad that I'll have to tell my employer that we already have a two week JA trip scheduled for August? :blush::whistle:

Thx - my lil prince is already a flirt, he knows how and when to turn on the charm. Hubby said "future gyallis" :bonk:

Edited by Jonesie

K-1 and AOS

-----------

Live your life!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.