Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 6)

13,621 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
:ot:

Alright yaardies...Question 4 u:

For all of us who are farrin...how did you learn to chat patwah? I know when I first met my husband, it was sooo difficult for me to understand him because (1) he talked too fast, and (2) because alot of patwah (to me) goes against everything that I have learned phonetically and grammatically. I've clearly gotten better at understanding what he is saying and can understand most conversations that he and his friends/family are having (and when I don't he kindly helps me out), and now I am much more interested in learning how to chat. I think it is going to be especially important for him to preserve this part of his heritage, and to pass this part along to our children (one day far far far into the future! :lol::lol: ) I have to think really hard b4 I speak in patois, and he works with me on phrases and their meanings, but I wanna know how long does it really take? Are there any videos out there? May be someone on the thread can put one 2gether and market it...I know I would definately buy it...

I learned more through a book. Some people might say the book is not great but it worked for me. I believe it a book was wonderful cause it explained the grammar of it. It took me about 4 years to catch on. I am still learning and foreign languages don't come easy to me at all.

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
OK..Thats nice Ton

Yeah, I figured it would make our lives a little simpler if I was off work when he first got here. Just didn't wanna rush it before i could get things together. LOL.

That is a perfect plan. We did the same thing last year. He came up when school ended.

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

For all of us who are farrin...how did you learn to chat patwah? I know when I first met my husband, it was sooo difficult for me to understand him because (1) he talked too fast, and (2) because alot of patwah (to me) goes against everything that I have learned phonetically and grammatically. I've clearly gotten better at understanding what he is saying and can understand most conversations that he and his friends/family are having (and when I don't he kindly helps me out), and now I am much more interested in learning how to chat. I think it is going to be especially important for him to preserve this part of his heritage, and to pass this part along to our children (one day far far far into the future! :lol::lol: ) I have to think really hard b4 I speak in patois, and he works with me on phrases and their meanings, but I wanna know how long does it really take? Are there any videos out there? May be someone on the thread can put one 2gether and market it...I know I would definately buy it...

:) sorry wish i could help..bawn Yardie...but mor time mi husband tell mi dat is not patwah..yuh mek it sound too nice..but mi just look pon him like him mad !..it just takes time, patience and practice...don't be shy and don't think ppl will be making fun of you..u'll get it..Look at Yardiewife..more time i forget she is not a born Jamaican..just gotta do it..u can try watching the stage plays and stuff like that....mi no know nuttin mi just love chat :)

Bwoy, if dat ain't deh truth...mi nuh knoa wat is!!!!!

Kimkim...mi couldda lick dung dem foofoo gyal fi mash hup yuh work internet access!! Yuh come in like Rhonda now....:lol:...Memba when Rhond's used to work the late shift han she would come reply tuh everyone's post overnight! :lol: :lol:...Hopefully, the 'watchful eyes' won't last too lang! :unsure::unsure:

Bless,

Gill

06/08/08- Married my best friend!

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

12/11/08- Package received at USCIS Chicago lockbox

12/19/08- Check cashed by USCIS

12/27/08-Biometrics appt letter recieved

01/05/09- CRIS email notification-I-485 Case transferred to CSC

01/06/09- Biometrics complete

03/02/09- AP received via USPS

03/05/09- EAD received via USPS

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

04/28/09- Received CRIS email 'Welcome Letter' mailed

05/04/2009- Conditional 2 year Green Card received

CF906-K_lg.jpgA heart that loves is 'Forever Young'!CF906-G_lg.jpg

Who JAH bless..no man can curse!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Timeline
kimmy have you put any kind of registry together yet?

thanks Jamie and Kimmy....the only thing i hates was the internal exam...so not comfortable at all...and then a nurse came in and started having a convo with the dr...and there i am all exposed.... :wacko: i just wanted to crawl off the table :lol:

Oh, girl....you have to get over that. Your hospital room will have a revolving door with no privacy. Is it a teaching hospital? If it is, be prepared for a roomful of spectators!!!

Don't you worry, you really won't even notice.

Fuh real!!! :thumbs: trust mi Nans by the time Baby Gurl makes her appearance you don't care if Capt Crunch is down there looking...as long as he can get here out safe and sound!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Modesty and pregnancy do NOT go hand in hand!

Bless,

Gill

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Timeline
back from the dr.s...oh it was fun times tonight....they started to do the interanl exams....and my cervix was NOT cooperating at all....it was uncomfortable....well i get to have another look at Kayla they want another u/s to see how big she is going to be...everything else seems to be good...

Love the name! :thumbs::thumbs: Very noice Nans!

Reminds me of Kayla Brady from Days of Our Lives! (JG & Andre, don't start with me!) :lol::lol::lol::rofl:

Gill

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

Timeline
Hey Kim..Hey Ton...how u'll doing

Kim how the baby treating yuh ?

Hey Kimmy....I'm hanging in there. You know the usual, driving Dave crazy making him run around to square up everything before the interview. LOL. I leave on Saturday. :dance:

WOOHOO!!! How long are you staying?

I'll be down there till next wednesday...it's still hard to believe this'll be one of my last trips to JA for awhile. If everything goes o.k., Dave should be here right after Mother's day. Then the real journey starts. LOL.....

Gurl...DAT IS EXACTLY HOW I FELT!!!! It was bittersweet!! But, I promised her Iwouldn't stay away 14 years again!!! "When mi check hit hout Lawd...nuh where nuh bettah dan YARD!!!!!!!!!!!" :crying::crying::crying:

Bless,

An (emotional) Gill :lol:

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

Timeline
yes God is soo good, even when things seem the worst, there always seems to be a divine reasoning in the background.

AMEN AMEN Quannie!!! :thumbs:

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

Timeline
Arrright Ladies...I'm out!!! Time fi guh home! Onnuh have a good night! Congrats again Sunny & Lawny!

Kimkim, mi nuh knoa is where yuh deh...Probably wid har 'click' :lol: ...lata han I hope yuh feeling ok!

Blessed love to all,

Gill

CONGRATS LAWNY!!!

Congrats on your NOA1 Sunny :)

Gilly your men are soooo handsome :luv:

Tonks Yardie and JG...

I am truly blessed! Just check tuh see if I am still saying that next year this time when dem a play football inna deh house and the toilet seat is forever HUP!!!! :lol::lol:

Gill

Gill you need one a dem contraption deh whe dem affi use dem foot fe raise de toilet seat and when dem done and move dem foot de toilet seat fall back down--yuh know like the garbage can dem wid the step fe open dem :lol::lol:

Yuh dyam roight Clariey...dem ave sittin' suh pon deh market yet? Or bettah yet something fi wet hup dem batty if dem nuh close it...suh dem cyan see ow it feel...URRRRGH!!!!! :angry:

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

Timeline

I'll be down there till next wednesday...it's still hard to believe this'll be one of my last trips to JA for awhile. If everything goes o.k., Dave should be here right after Mother's day. Then the real journey starts. LOL.....

Gurl...DAT IS EXACTLY HOW I FELT!!!! It was bittersweet!! But, I promised her Iwouldn't stay away 14 years again!!! "When mi check hit hout Lawd...nuh where nuh bettah dan YARD!!!!!!!!!!!" :crying::crying::crying:

Bless,

An (emotional) Gill :lol:

Ok yes...I'm replying to my hown comment...

I loved when I used to go to sound clashes (my younger sistrens can tell me if they still ave dem)...han they would play the Jamaican National Anthem! Nothing sound sweeter dan a whole bunch of drunkard Yardies singing..."JAMAICA...LAND WE LUBBBBBBBB!" :lol: :lol:

Edited by Deyoungting

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
well Lawny, where would be the first place you'd take her? Da ####### is asking for a child to file for her. "Desperado" "Sorry, no disrespect Gill" I would have said when he's able to pay and fill out the paperwork without anyone's help.... Then again, I would have stared at her for about five mins and then just turned around and left.

Even if she were a 'KICK-A$$' Mom...I wouldn't mind...but she is just OUT THERE!!! Last week KJ was sick as a dawg...vomitting and the runs...she called Ken fi come git em pickney. Ken boil hup some bush tea...give em some soup han next day KJ was back to his old run around self!! Now C'MON as a Mom...or even human being...yuh doan knoa fi do dat! that is the ish that scares me. What happens when Ken comes here!

Sick Chick!!!

My Boys...

Gav's in the Brown Shirt...Jordie's got the fingers up and KJ is in Ken's lap!

What a handsome bunch!! But I feel for you living with 4 men - you need a baby girl to even out some of that testosterone!!! :wacko:

Your boys are so cute! My sister has 4 boys - it's so funny - the youngest was mad at her and kept calling her "bad boy" - She yelled back - I am not a boy!

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Morning ladies!

Congrats Sunny on NOA#1 that's great! Hopefully the rest will be as quick (and VT will stay just as fast by the time I file, lol)

Congrats, Lawnie! You have to be over the moon - See, I told you lots of touching would make it come! :devil:

I don't know how you can keep it a secret, lol - I booked my next trip to JA the DAY after I returned from the last - and I spilled the beans to DJ last night, couldn't hold it in any longer! He was whining about not being with me, and not knowing when he would see me - I finally said "do you think you can make it to the 25th of May?" - He just mumbled I guess, then went on with the conversation - took about 5 minutes for it to sink in that I had given an actual date!

Congrats on the interview date, Claire!!

Edited by sus

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Filed: Timeline
Morning ladies!

Congrats Sunny on NOA#1 that's great! Hopefully the rest will be as quick (and VT will stay just as fast by the time I file, lol)

Congrats, Lawnie! You have to be over the moon - See, I told you lots of touching would make it come! :devil:

I don't know how you can keep it a secret, lol - I booked my next trip to JA the DAY after I returned from the last - and I spilled the beans to DJ last night, couldn't hold it in any longer! He was whining about not being with me, and not knowing when he would see me - I finally said "do you think you can make it to the 25th of May?" - He just mumbled I guess, then went on with the conversation - took about 5 minutes for it to sink in that I had given an actual date!

Congrats on the interview date, Claire!!

Thanks Sus and I'm still not going to tell him.

Mawnin ladies...thanks for all the CONGRATS...got home last night and no phone service :angry: They can't FIX it until next FRIDAY...unacceptable :angry:

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

:) sorry wish i could help..bawn Yardie...but mor time mi husband tell mi dat is not patwah..yuh mek it sound too nice..but mi just look pon him like him mad !..it just takes time, patience and practice...don't be shy and don't think ppl will be making fun of you..u'll get it..Look at Yardiewife..more time i forget she is not a born Jamaican..just gotta do it..u can try watching the stage plays and stuff like that....mi no know nuttin mi just love chat :)

Born YARDIE yahso tuh...so mi caan really help you...mek it worse a country mi come fram so fi mi patwah tan bad. When I meet other Jamaicans they can't believe I've been her for 29 years...but I can talk straight YANKEEISM and you would never know I was a born Jamaican.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

tep aff a mi name

kimmy have you put any kind of registry together yet?

thanks Jamie and Kimmy....the only thing i hates was the internal exam...so not comfortable at all...and then a nurse came in and started having a convo with the dr...and there i am all exposed.... :wacko: i just wanted to crawl off the table :lol:

Oh, girl....you have to get over that. Your hospital room will have a revolving door with no privacy. Is it a teaching hospital? If it is, be prepared for a roomful of spectators!!!

Don't you worry, you really won't even notice.

Fuh real!!! :thumbs: trust mi Nans by the time Baby Gurl makes her appearance you don't care if Capt Crunch is down there looking...as long as he can get here out safe and sound!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Modesty and pregnancy do NOT go hand in hand!

Bless,

Gill

Mawnin Gill,

Ain't that the TRUTH! I was high risk so I had to go to the doctor more often than a normal pregnancy. After the first 3 months I didn't care anymore. I'd hop on the table and SPREAD EAGLE and say "aright doc, let's get it on"...she would bust out laughing. I don't know if any of you every had a vaginal ultrasound (I truly hate those). I had to ask the technical where she was about to put that. Her face just turned bright RED. I delivered at a teaching hospital and it can get crazy sometimes, but there's usually 2 docs around. They didn't let a resident deliver me though, because I was high risk, but with my sis it was a resident and the doctor was guiding his hands for a C-section and he did a great job. I was trying to convince my doctor to give me a tummy tuck while she was doing my incision for my C-section (she just laughed).

tep aff a mi name

Timeline
well Lawny, where would be the first place you'd take her? Da ####### is asking for a child to file for her. "Desperado" "Sorry, no disrespect Gill" I would have said when he's able to pay and fill out the paperwork without anyone's help.... Then again, I would have stared at her for about five mins and then just turned around and left.

Even if she were a 'KICK-A$$' Mom...I wouldn't mind...but she is just OUT THERE!!! Last week KJ was sick as a dawg...vomitting and the runs...she called Ken fi come git em pickney. Ken boil hup some bush tea...give em some soup han next day KJ was back to his old run around self!! Now C'MON as a Mom...or even human being...yuh doan knoa fi do dat! that is the ish that scares me. What happens when Ken comes here!

Sick Chick!!!

My Boys...

Gav's in the Brown Shirt...Jordie's got the fingers up and KJ is in Ken's lap!

What a handsome bunch!! But I feel for you living with 4 men - you need a baby girl to even out some of that testosterone!!! :wacko:

Your boys are so cute! My sister has 4 boys - it's so funny - the youngest was mad at her and kept calling her "bad boy" - She yelled back - I am not a boy!

:rofl::lol::rofl::lol: ...Girl, that is EXACTLY how I feel sometimes! Especially when they were all together last year! :help: KJ was going through the 'MINE' stage...Gavin wasn't trying to hear it...cause it was 'HIS' and Jordan is like an excited puppy...just wants to play ALL the time! The ride to Dunns River Falls was HELL!!!! Ken just sat there with this look on his face :blink:

Meanwhile, I'm like... "Stop that!" "Give that to him" "Take that away from him" "No, you can no play with the frisbee in the car!" "Don't teach him those words!" It'll all work out though...of that I have NO DOUBT!!! I might hen hup like Lawny wid no hair pon mi head but as G-d is my witness...it WILL work! :lol: :lol:

Bless,

Gill

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.