Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 6)

13,621 posts in this topic

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Lawney....ok there are a whole bunch of them around 4th street one is called D & H West Indian...so good the festival is to die for....just thinking of it is making me hungry....

the one outside the city is called D & H Jamaican Cuisine it is in Newark...you have to turn onto Route 4 and go past all these industry buildings and past Christiana Hospital and it will be on the right side past a sub shop...

the groccery store there in one on route 2 call Gigante and they sell a lot of west indies things and fresh fish...

the other store...i never went into it but went past it is on Concord Ave called A and J Caribbean Market here is the website http://www.geocities.com/ajcaribbeanmarket/

the festival happens in august and is called Bob Marley People's Fest in Wilmington, DE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I understand the spoken word and can speak a lot of it back; but can't read it properly for the life of me.

You do very well too JG! I seriously give ya'll credit...I don't know if I would even bother if i weren't raised around it! My sister (in DC) can't speak it ATALL!!!! As long as you speak VERY slowly she can understand you. I used to go to Jamaica every summer and she used to go to UK...so I guess that's how I really learned it! My parents never really spoke it in the home (except when my Mom was VEX...then WATCH OUT!!!)

Even when Ken gets excited sometimes I have to tell him to SLOW down...now wat yuh saying??? :huh:

So some serious kudos goes out to everyone that gives it an 'E' for effort in my book!

I told Ken I want us to speak it in the house so our kids learn it. Mi doan want none of dem Yardie cousins fi chat bad bout dem han dem nuh knoa hit! ;):lol:

Gill

06/08/08- Married my best friend!

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

12/11/08- Package received at USCIS Chicago lockbox

12/19/08- Check cashed by USCIS

12/27/08-Biometrics appt letter recieved

01/05/09- CRIS email notification-I-485 Case transferred to CSC

01/06/09- Biometrics complete

03/02/09- AP received via USPS

03/05/09- EAD received via USPS

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

04/28/09- Received CRIS email 'Welcome Letter' mailed

05/04/2009- Conditional 2 year Green Card received

CF906-K_lg.jpgA heart that loves is 'Forever Young'!CF906-G_lg.jpg

Who JAH bless..no man can curse!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Timeline
UNU COME CLOSEEEEEE...

GUESS WHO BAX MI TODAY...just tek a good GUESS. Mi naw tell unu yet...unu afi guess

GUESS WHO BAX MI

We need some clues cause mi nah have a clue :unsure:

Please say it was an e-mail with a NOA2!!!

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger....

Timeline
Yards, are you a born Jamaican?

Nope not even close :no:

Girl get out of here. I would have never know.

:) I am whiter than white and started going to JA when I was 16 as a missionary. Went back again as a missionary - made a lot of friends and started going back just to visit. I only went 8 times total but I totally threw myself into the culture and way of life. I never stayed in a hotel - always in a house or with a family in the mountain area of St. Catherine so I was definitely immersed into the JA way of living and had to learn quick.

So you got used to taking cold showers?? That was the only thing I consistently complained about after going in '06. That was the first thing I check when I got the Holiday Inn!!

Gilly when you apply for AP you are eligible to apply because of filing the I-485 (AOS). If you don't file AOS then he technically wouldn't qualify for an AP document. So therefore you have to file them together.

What's AP?

Cold showers never bothered me. It was lack of water sometimes that just about killed me.

Well, girl try taking a bath in RIVER water at 5:30 am in the morning. If you're not AWAKE...you damn sure will be by the time you step into the river.

The day we last left Jamaica, I was bathing in the ocean at 3:30 a.m. It was a little rough!

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Timeline
UNU COME CLOSEEEEEE...

GUESS WHO BAX MI TODAY...just tek a good GUESS. Mi naw tell unu yet...unu afi guess

GUESS WHO BAX MI

We need some clues cause mi nah have a clue :unsure:

Please say it was an e-mail with a NOA2!!!

I WISH!...but them did BAX me again TODAY. So, seet deh...a USCIS BAX mi today!

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

:) I am whiter than white and started going to JA when I was 16 as a missionary. Went back again as a missionary - made a lot of friends and started going back just to visit. I only went 8 times total but I totally threw myself into the culture and way of life. I never stayed in a hotel - always in a house or with a family in the mountain area of St. Catherine so I was definitely immersed into the JA way of living and had to learn quick.

So you got used to taking cold showers?? That was the only thing I consistently complained about after going in '06. That was the first thing I check when I got the Holiday Inn!!

I got used to cold showers or even having to take my bath out of the little basin I would fill with water from the tank out back when they shut off the water :yes: I even stayed in a place way up in the mountains for a week with no running water and electricity. You went to bed when the sun set cause there wasn't anything to do. To be honest I really loved the way I lived when I was there. Most people think how could you have enjoyed washing all your clothes by hand, walking everywhere you went, squeezing up into the taxis or standing on the buses, always having to have a chaperone after dark cause women don't walk the streets alone in the night...it really was a completely new way of living but I loved it. I really loved it and wish I could go back to it. I miss the sense of community and walking down the streets in the early morning hailing up all the people, I miss the carefree attitude and all the friends, I miss falling asleep listening to the cicadas and crikets and the occasional bashment ;) while the cool night breeze would blow over you. I miss it all very much :(

Look now I am getting all emotional :cry:

I take my kids camping aLOT in the spring/summer and it is the exact same kind of feeling. We camp at Vermont State Parks which have no electricity (except in the bathrooms) and you have to lug your water jug to the spiget. They LOVE it! Jamaica reminds me of that - only warmer.

Gilly when you apply for AP you are eligible to apply because of filing the I-485 (AOS). If you don't file AOS then he technically wouldn't qualify for an AP document. So therefore you have to file them together.

What's AP?

Cold showers never bothered me. It was lack of water sometimes that just about killed me.

Well, girl try taking a bath in RIVER water at 5:30 am in the morning. If you're not AWAKE...you damn sure will be by the time you step into the river.

The day we last left Jamaica, I was bathing in the ocean at 3:30 a.m. It was a little rough!

ummmmmmmmmmmmm 3:30 in the MORNING! JG -- :devil: (let me leave that alone) I'm too NOSEY!

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

tep aff a mi name

Timeline
I understand the spoken word and can speak a lot of it back; but can't read it properly for the life of me.

You do very well too JG! I seriously give ya'll credit...I don't know if I would even bother if i weren't raised around it! My sister (in DC) can't speak it ATALL!!!! As long as you speak VERY slowly she can understand you. I used to go to Jamaica every summer and she used to go to UK...so I guess that's how I really learned it! My parents never really spoke it in the home (except when my Mom was VEX...then WATCH OUT!!!)

Even when Ken gets excited sometimes I have to tell him to SLOW down...now wat yuh saying??? :huh:

So some serious kudos goes out to everyone that gives it an 'E' for effort in my book!

I told Ken I want us to speak it in the house so our kids learn it. Mi doan want none of dem Yardie cousins fi chat bad bout dem han dem nuh knoa hit! ;):lol:

Gill

i would agree with that...i want Kayla to know words and things like that...it is part of her and needs to know....

Gill

Gill,

You know when I went to school in Jamaica we were not allowed to speak PATWAH. It was forbidden and if they hear you we were spanked. My brother was always gettting a beating and do I dear interfere HELL NO!

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

***UPDATE***

Suh Ken jus call mi...he went BACK inna town (MoBay) this morning fi deal wid the license ting...AGAIN!! So he went on Tuesday, Wednesday & today!

So, I faxed his flight confirmation and he showed it to the ooman dat we paid to tek care of this ting! What does she say!!?

Oh, we not gonna ave enough time fi git it!!! She is gonna give him his $$ back (she better dyam well do so!) You HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!

So, I told Ken in the future when I tell you to do something PLEASE DO IT!! Guys, I asked Ken in Feb of 2007 fi tek care of this, then in May, August (we got into a BIG fight...nothing after that) til February!

I have to let it go now...and I will but... it just so dyam frustrating! He could have been here THIS WEEK!!! But we were waiting on the BLINKING drivers license!

So when he gets here we have to start from scratch! When em rass haffi cyatch bus han train inna deh mikkle of summer/winter...I DON'T WANT TO HEAR A WORD!!!!!! :angry::angry:

Just ridiculous!

Thanks for letting me vent,

Gill

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

***UPDATE***

Suh Ken jus call mi...he went BACK inna town (MoBay) this morning fi deal wid the license ting...AGAIN!! So he went on Tuesday, Wednesday & today!

So, I faxed his flight confirmation and he showed it to the ooman dat we paid to tek care of this ting! What does she say!!?

Oh, we not gonna ave enough time fi git it!!! She is gonna give him his $$ back (she better dyam well do so!) You HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!

So, I told Ken in the future when I tell you to do something PLEASE DO IT!! Guys, I asked Ken in Feb of 2007 fi tek care of this, then in May, August (we got into a BIG fight...nothing after that) til February!

I have to let it go now...and I will but... it just so dyam frustrating! He could have been here THIS WEEK!!! But we were waiting on the BLINKING drivers license!

So when he gets here we have to start from scratch! When em rass haffi cyatch bus han train inna deh mikkle of summer/winter...I DON'T WANT TO HEAR A WORD!!!!!! :angry::angry:

Just ridiculous!

Gill

Gill, lawd...try fi calm down. Let me call my dad, I think my dad's brother was able to pick up his (Jamaican) license and I brought it back with me to the states. Mi a wait fi daddy call mi back.

tep aff a mi name

Timeline
***UPDATE***

Just ridiculous!

Gill

So sorry to hear that Gill! Bet he learned his lesson though - ALWAYS LISTEN TO THE WOMAN!!!!! :bonk:

BTW - Anthony is getting the NY DMV driver's manual along with his birthday card next month. :yes:

Timeline
***UPDATE***

Just ridiculous!

Gill

So sorry to hear that Gill! Bet he learned his lesson though - ALWAYS LISTEN TO THE WOMAN!!!!! :bonk:

BTW - Anthony is getting the NY DMV driver's manual along with his birthday card next month. :yes:

That's right Isles!!!! :lol: :lol:

***UPDATE***

Just ridiculous!

Gill

Gill, lawd...try fi calm down. Let me call my dad, I think my dad's brother was able to pick up his (Jamaican) license and I brought it back with me to the states. Mi a wait fi daddy call mi back.

Thanks Lawny...at this point I just think this ooman was giving him the dyam run around...but trust me anyhow she nuh ave em $$ pon Tuesday mi a guh blow deh lid offa har fraud rass!

Bless,

Gill

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

Lawney....ok there are a whole bunch of them around 4th street one is called D & H West Indian...so good the festival is to die for....just thinking of it is making me hungry....

the one outside the city is called D & H Jamaican Cuisine it is in Newark...you have to turn onto Route 4 and go past all these industry buildings and past Christiana Hospital and it will be on the right side past a sub shop...

the groccery store there in one on route 2 call Gigante and they sell a lot of west indies things and fresh fish...

the other store...i never went into it but went past it is on Concord Ave called A and J Caribbean Market here is the website http://www.geocities.com/ajcaribbeanmarket/

the festival happens in august and is called Bob Marley People's Fest in Wilmington, DE

Thanks Nanny. Her husband is no use...poor thing. I'll cut and past this info for her. I told her if she can't find anything she want, she can always hop on 95N and go to New York or Jersey.

tep aff a mi name

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.