Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 6)

13,621 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Ok no more joking ting...

I see nuff approvals going on and i'm very happy for everyone...now the next part the hard part comes...the arrival...yes yes it will be the happiest day of your life...your man is with you...but I think we should have a conversation about the adjustment process.

What do you all think?

amen sistah !! adjustment is something you have to remember fi real...

Ok I will try and start..maybe someone can make a list and no it won't be me. and let's try and keep it general. I know that some of us are posting off of our experiences but mi really don't like it when people post their opnions or what they do in their relationships and it ends up in a defending contest. Everybody is different and can learn from each other.

anyhoo

It's seems to be really hard when they are left at home alone. Most of these men worked and the jamaican culture seems to be an outdoorsy one. People work, hang out and go home (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) now I don't mean hang out at the rum shop or the dancehall, but there seems to be a lot of social interaction. Then they come here. We go to work and they are at home in a place where they may not have any friends, no job and familyand nothing to do.

It depends how your man adapts. Is here very social? My husband is very social and I swear has more friends in this town than I do. This is my home town. I think the first couple months are the hardest. It was easier for us because in a few months he was in school and working. I think the K-1 visa has to be hard when finding a job. If we went for the K-1 he wouldn't of been able to go to school right away with a green card. The best part is that we live in a college town which is very social. We had talked about this before he got up but nothing can prepare you for the adjustment until he or she gets here.

whoops wouldn't of been able to go to school right away without a green card.

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

I agree with them staying at home does usually cause a problem..they get bored...especially if they worked all their lives. I don't like to speak personally here either cause ppl like to judge and thats why i usually dopn't participate in such topics. but adjustment is a tough time and shouldn't be taken lightly

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I see nuff approvals going on and i'm very happy for everyone...now the next part the hard part comes...the arrival...yes yes it will be the happiest day of your life...your man is with you...but I think we should have a conversation about the adjustment process.

What do you all think?

Ok I will try and start..maybe someone can make a list and no it won't be me. and let's try and keep it general. I know that some of us are posting off of our experiences but mi really don't like it when people post their opnions or what they do in their relationships and it ends up in a defending contest. Everybody is different and can learn from each other.

anyhoo

It's seems to be really hard when they are left at home alone. Most of these men worked and the jamaican culture seems to be an outdoorsy one. People work, hang out and go home (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) now I don't mean hang out at the rum shop or the dancehall, but there seems to be a lot of social interaction. Then they come here. We go to work and they are at home in a place where they may not have any friends, no job and familyand nothing to do.

It depends how your man adapts. Is here very social? My husband is very social and I swear has more friends in this town than I do. This is my home town. I think the first couple months are the hardest. It was easier for us because in a few months he was in school and working. I think the K-1 visa has to be hard when finding a job. If we went for the K-1 he wouldn't of been able to go to school right away with a green card. The best part is that we live in a college town which is very social. We had talked about this before he got up but nothing can prepare you for the adjustment until he or she gets here.

i'm in NyC it's pretty amazing what cash can do and certain programs don't even ask.

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

Timeline
I agree with them staying at home does usually cause a problem..they get bored...especially if they worked all their lives. I don't like to speak personally here either cause ppl like to judge and thats why i usually dopn't participate in such topics. but adjustment is a tough time and shouldn't be taken lightly

especially the freedom thing. Staying in the house is so true. Another thing that helped was a drivers licenses. Its a independence thing.

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Timeline

What do you all think?

anyhoo

This is very true Jax. The MAIN reason for us doing the CR1 was so that he could start school and work as soon as he got here if he wanted. I felt that the CR1 transition was much better than the others. Like my husband is already looking into schools and jobs while he is in JA. I would think that this is how I would like to do it if i moved to a new country.

One of the biggest problems I notice is that the nonUSC didn't put a plan into place BEFORE they moved here. I told my husband...."you know where you will be living research or tell me to research things you want to get into NOW so that when you get here its all set up for you".....Now I know he's not here yet but I notice how involved Evan is with my life and my neighborhood and town before he even gets here. I think this is making him feel more acquainted with the area too so that its not so much of a cluture shock plus overwhelment when he arrives. When I first me him I gave him a travel book of Los Angeles. This way he could read up about the area and all the things to do...HE LOVED IT!! Its like my JA travel book that I loved. I really think early preparation is KEY! :thumbs:

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Timeline

especially the freedom thing. Staying in the house is so true. Another thing that helped was a drivers licenses. Its a independence thing.

agree with the drivers licsense..and i know some states let people drive on their foreign liscense for a time.

Timeline

Me and my family are surprising hubby with a bicycle when he arrives...does that count as a DL haha. i just think that having some sort of wheels will be good for him. My town is bike friendly.

Timeline

What do you all think?

anyhoo

This is very true Jax. The MAIN reason for us doing the CR1 was so that he could start school and work as soon as he got here if he wanted. I felt that the CR1 transition was much better than the others. Like my husband is already looking into schools and jobs while he is in JA. I would think that this is how I would like to do it if i moved to a new country.

One of the biggest problems I notice is that the nonUSC didn't put a plan into place BEFORE they moved here. I told my husband...."you know where you will be living research or tell me to research things you want to get into NOW so that when you get here its all set up for you".....Now I know he's not here yet but I notice how involved Evan is with my life and my neighborhood and town before he even gets here. I think this is making him feel more acquainted with the area too so that its not so much of a cluture shock plus overwhelment when he arrives. When I first me him I gave him a travel book of Los Angeles. This way he could read up about the area and all the things to do...HE LOVED IT!! Its like my JA travel book that I loved. I really think early preparation is KEY! :thumbs:

This is true, have a couple of different career paths to explore and try and find out about any programs as early as possible.

Filed: Other Timeline
Hey family...Wanted to share...my niece was born at 1pm this afternoon. She was 6lbs 4 oz and 19 inches. She is adorable!!!!

-Tam

Congrats!! One of my greatest joys is being an auntie!! I hope you enjoy being one too!! :dance:

Ditto..Congrats but not mine :blink: my sister has five kids :wacko: They were all over Friday night. :blink::blush: Her 5 and my 3, 8 pickeny. I thought I'd go mad. But they were cute when they were smaller.

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

Timeline

This is true, have a couple of different career paths to explore and try and find out about any programs as early as possible.

This really is the best time to do it. We sit an wait around for NOA's and appointments but then we forget about all the stuff that we need to prepare for AFTER all that other stuff is out of the way.

Filed: Other Timeline

Ditto...

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

Timeline

agree with the drivers licsense..and i know some states let people drive on their foreign liscense for a time.

it even got better when he got his own car. My bro was outraged because I bought him one. But how was he going to go to school and work. It was the best thing ever. The best thing that helped was that I was on this site for months before we made our journey and I listened to all the other vets who went through the transition. I took everyones experience and planned for our future. Everyone will adjust differently. It was great hearing everyones point of view back in the day.

Me and my family are surprising hubby with a bicycle when he arrives...does that count as a DL haha. i just think that having some sort of wheels will be good for him. My town is bike friendly.

any wheels will help. HD use to ride my bike. In IL he could drive on his JA licenses for 90 days.

xTr6m6.png

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Timeline

A bike is a good idea. and yes getting everyone's viewpoint was good. I enrolled him in school because of advice from this board. I had an old car that now I almost wished I saved, but i can take the train to work, but i know that others live in areas where there is no train. The train!!!! I had to buy a map. lol

Timeline
A bike is a good idea. and yes getting everyone's viewpoint was good. I enrolled him in school because of advice from this board. I had an old car that now I almost wished I saved, but i can take the train to work, but i know that others live in areas where there is no train. The train!!!! I had to buy a map. lol

Making sure they have a way of getting out of the house is always a good thing. We got a bike for my husband and he also had free access to the bus and train system here. He learnt how to get around the pretty good. Once he got a car I gave him my GPS system which helped even more.

USCIS

06-28-2011-Mailed I-130

07-03-2011-NOA1

12-08-2011-NOA2

NVC

12-19-2012-NVC Received Case

01-06-2012-Case Number

01-25-2012-Case Completed

02-21-2012-Medical

03-06-2012-Interview--APPROVED

03-13-2012-VISA RECEIVED

03-16-2012-POE ATL

ROC

02/24/2014-Mailed I-751

02/26/2014-Package Received

02/28/2014-NOA1 Hard Copy

02/28/2014-Check Cashed

03/25/2014-Biometrics Appt

06/04/2014-RFE Sent more info back on 07/29/2014

09/04/2014 ROC Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.