Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 6)

13,621 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Mawnin Yardie's!

I can't imagine trying to get Ray out of the JA mode when he comes to the states. I'm always trying to tell him to wear his timberland boots with his jeans over them instead of hanging off the side with the tongue open. I find myself trying to get him to dress like the guy's do in MD/DC. I'm always saying wear a white t-shirt, jeans and your boots and your fine, but then I realize that what he's doing is dressing based on what's the lastest fashion/style in JA and I'm fine with that.... lol He also tells me what he likes to see me in while I'm there, so I guess it's equal in that regard.

Edited by sunnyja21

ROC

Filed at Vermont Service Center

ROC Filing date:--------08-02-2011

Express Mail card recd stating package was recd on: 08-03-2011

NOA1 rec'd dated:-------08-04-2011

Check Cashed:-----------08-08-2011

Biometrics Appt scheduled for: ----09-23-2011

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Anyone in the MD/DC/VA going to Crossroads this weekend? I think I'm going on Friday or Saturday because I need to get out...

ROC

Filed at Vermont Service Center

ROC Filing date:--------08-02-2011

Express Mail card recd stating package was recd on: 08-03-2011

NOA1 rec'd dated:-------08-04-2011

Check Cashed:-----------08-08-2011

Biometrics Appt scheduled for: ----09-23-2011

Filed: Timeline
Anyone in the MD/DC/VA going to Crossroads this weekend? I think I'm going on Friday or Saturday because I need to get out...

Sunny, we need to hook up and do this one weekend, but I have a lot of family here from Jamaica that will stay with me for the next 5 weeks (LORD HELP ME)...girl pray that I don't kill one of them. My grandaunt got up 4 o'clock this morning making fritters and cooked my LUNCH. (I appreciate it), but....she wakes me at 4:30 asking me where is the clothes I'm wearing to work. So, I showed a blue pantsuit, she says, oh, no my baby-- u can't wear pants to work, what will they think. I said auntie it's 2008, I love, go back in the kitchen and finish cooking. She's 86 and I love her so much. Now, I have to find her some fish net sockings. She going to a function at Martin's Crosswind on Saturday. I haven't been able to find any. Any suggestions?

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

I have come to the conclusion that i need spelling lessons...we would I be without spellcheck?? I can't get the one on this site downloaded.

u no need no spell check..gwaan weh u a go...I feel FUSTRATED! :crying:

did u have a better day today.

:lol::lol: none aoonuh no ave sense

:angry: I AM BEING NICE, SO HUSH

:lol: really ! :no:

Kimmy u wait 'til mi si u! U bettah invite mi to u showah...by dem time deh u caan run fram mi. Mi ave chicken back fi feed u!

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

tep aff a mi name

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

Sunny, we need to hook up and do this one weekend, but I have a lot of family here from Jamaica that will stay with me for the next 5 weeks (LORD HELP ME)...girl pray that I don't kill one of them. My grandaunt got up 4 o'clock this morning making fritters and cooked my LUNCH. (I appreciate it), but....she wakes me at 4:30 asking me where is the clothes I'm wearing to work. So, I showed a blue pantsuit, she says, oh, no my baby-- u can't wear pants to work, what will they think. I said auntie it's 2008, I love, go back in the kitchen and finish cooking. She's 86 and I love her so much. Now, I have to find her some fish net sockings. She going to a function at Martin's Crosswind on Saturday. I haven't been able to find any. Any suggestions?

Is Auntie big or small?

You can get fishnets at Lane Bryant... or Kohl's I think.

Try Macy's or JC Penney... any big dept store should have the nice ones.

June 29 2009: Green Card Received

March 6 2011: Lifting Conditions

June 6 2012: Apply for US Citizenship

fkn0hd.jpg

Is Auntie big or small?

Hey Irie,

She's only 130lbs...I'm getting tired of looking. My grandaunt thinks she's in her 20s. She cracks me up. When I went home in November, when my fiance and I was going to visit my family, she pulls up on a BIKE back. Huging tightly to some youngman (one of my cousin). I won't even get on the back of a bike.

tep aff a mi name

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hey guys, I am back. Just spent the day with my daughter. It is her 18th birthday.

That's great Claire, what did the two of you do? You know I remember what I did for my 18th birtday and I can't remember what I did yesterday. Now, explain that.

Hmmmm.....alzeimer's GRANDMA?

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
I get u Lita..and I agree.."when am i going to watch the next man wash the floors" :lol:

Exactly, I get that everyone has to start somewhere, but knowing myself and the things I want to do in life...that have nothing to do with a career....I need someone who has the same goals otherwise we as a couple will be so out of balance and will probably never get there. I believe in being compatilbe on many levels....religion, ambitions, dreams, this compatiblity will help us grow together, and not grow apart.

But what if your man is content and happy "washing the floors" or any other "menial" type job? What if that is his passion in life and he doesn't see it as a starting point but somewhere that he is happy and comfortable with as his job in life? Would you be ok with that?

ok like i stated before santation workers in nyc make $70K a year. i'd be happy with that. now if he is in a low paying job and he's happy with dat..then he wouldn't be my man for long....

What exactly does "happy with that" mean?

If you are struggling and he's itching to get a job. He's finally able and he calls, e-mails, applies, interviews, and interviews some more. He finally gets a job. Not the one either of you really envisioned; but it's a job.....a paycheck.....money coming in. He gets his own insurance. It's a HUGE deal. He's happy. Your happy. You ask him to stay for at least a year to make the resume reflect some quality US experience. He starts to progress in the company. It's a slow process and he hangs around to get every little bit of training and experience out of this job he can.

I don't know what the criteria is or the length of time is that anyone is thinking. But to me, a JOB, any job is a plus. If he moves up or moves on to bigger and better things, that's even better. Any way you look at it, I'm happy with it.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline
1luv...This is real life..no poking fun here

Ur hubby knows that reading and writing is something he wants to achieve so he is doing what is necessary. I forget who said but some men DO NOT care to ever learn and they are ok with that. Is it that they "think" learning to read and write will get them no further than where they r right now ?

i agree with that....and i think there is more too it as well...i know for mike he was ashamed that he could not read or write that well....and there for did NOT want to get help because he felt like he was the only person in the US with this issue....i explained time and time again he is so not the only person with this issue....still he didn't want to believe me and got a ok job...stocking shelves which is fine...happy for him to have that job....BUT he doesn't want to look for a better job or a second job because that would mean more paperwork....

This is where it gets to be a problem for me. He's holding himself back cause his mind is not free....not because someone tells him he can't do it.

and it is aproblem for me as well....i want to drill a hole into his thick head and put some sense into him....it really bothers me....

Nans, this is a very tricky situation. You have to thread gently. Do not push too hard or else you will never get him to try. Just talk about it and not get upset when you do. I know it is fraustrating but you can't give up.

My ex (the barber) was very smart (street) could read and write but could not hold a conversation in public. You know how it is in a Jaamican barber shop. That is all the conversation he wanted to have. When he moved to NC with me, he claimed he could not get a job but I think he was afraid to actually go on an interview for fear ne would not be able to handle it. I was patient with him but he decided to go back to NYC back to his old barber shop where he was comfortable hanging out with the guys. :angry::angry:

girl u almost had me, because my son's father is a baber and this sounds like him too a t. the sad thing is he went to school to become a teller and was number one in his class...but he couldn't talk and it didn't help that he would go on interfviews in his dancehall clothes...

Sounds like my brothers friends after they came up here. It was so damn fustrating to get them out of the Jamaica mode just for an hour...you know how hard it is to explain that you can't wear JEANS with a RASTAH belt haning off to the side........

That is so funny cause Andre doesn't dress like that. When we met other VJers in October, there was another Jamaican guy there. When we left, he said, that guy dresses really Jamaican. I just looked at him and shook my head.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

Do any of you know about Jamaican Eats magazine?

I found out from another web site and get the subscription. Andre likes it somewhat. The pictures are always amazing and the articles interesting.

Anyhow, I got this from them today, if anyone is interested.........

Hello everyone,

big tings a gwaan for JamaicanEats. Chef Robert Simpson of Back a Yard restaurant was on CBS5 in the Bay area

discussing the class he is teaching at Draeger's Cooking School aptly named Back a Yard JamaicanEats.

Please click on link below. If it doesn't take you directly to the video please search their site using keywords

back a yard or jamaicaneats.

http://cbs5.com/video/?id=30720@kpix.dayport.com

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

Prince Charles and Camilla arrive in JA today.

Wonder if Gill will run into them?

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

Now, I'm really saddened......Would they really do this?

Falmouth lagoon is threatened

published: Wednesday | March 12, 2008

The Editor, Sir:

Going, going, gone is the cry at the auction block. Today, we are witnessing another sale of our freedom with the dredging scheduled for the Falmouth harbour to create a cruise ship pier 15 to 20 minutes drive from the ones in Montego Bay.

This dredging, this pier, this waste of our money, will also destroy one of the two phosphorescent lagoons in the Caribbean, a gift of nature which we now spurn in the name of what, tourism.

Is it too late to reverse this and have the Hampden wharves become the bus park for the cruise ship passengers from the piers in Montego Bay?

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

Is Auntie big or small?

Hey Irie,

She's only 130lbs...I'm getting tired of looking. My grandaunt thinks she's in her 20s. She cracks me up. When I went home in November, when my fiance and I was going to visit my family, she pulls up on a BIKE back. Huging tightly to some youngman (one of my cousin). I won't even get on the back of a bike.

That is so great! My Grandma dies at 69 which is young ... but she still rode a Harley! :-) Big ole German grandma named Olga!

But I am sure you could find the fishnets at a dept store!

June 29 2009: Green Card Received

March 6 2011: Lifting Conditions

June 6 2012: Apply for US Citizenship

fkn0hd.jpg

The Editor, Sir:

Going, going, gone is the cry at the auction block. Today, we are witnessing another sale of our freedom with the dredging scheduled for the Falmouth harbour to create a cruise ship pier 15 to 20 minutes drive from the ones in Montego Bay.

This dredging, this pier, this waste of our money, will also destroy one of the two phosphorescent lagoons in the Caribbean, a gift of nature which we now spurn in the name of what, tourism.

Is it too late to reverse this and have the Hampden wharves become the bus park for the cruise ship passengers from the piers in Montego Bay?

JG --

When I was there in November I saw so many contractors in Falmouth and was wondering what was going on. My dad said this was something they have been wanting to do for so many years. They're trying to rebuild Falmouth. When was the last time you were there?

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

The Editor, Sir:

JG --

When I was there in November I saw so many contractors in Falmouth and was wondering what was going on. My dad said this was something they have been wanting to do for so many years. They're trying to rebuild Falmouth. When was the last time you were there?

Almost exactly 2 years. And we were at the Luminous lagoon.

I'm not disputing the building up of the community. It's needed. The sad part is they are talking of destroying the lagoon? There are only something like 3 of those natural wonders in the entire world. Seems very sad to me that they would not protect it with everything they have.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.