panamania79

Why do family members and in-laws back home think we're rich ?

91 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

To be honest the food is reason enough to go anywhere in Suramerica for me. Obviously there's the family reasons for Colombia... Argentina has one particular family member we want to visit but since it would be a seminary visit we wouldn't be able to stick around his neck of the woods that much... bummer eeyy! I guess we'd have to explore towards Patagonia.

So... did ya like them Salten~as???? It was a daily thing for me in Cochabamba.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
To be honest the food is reason enough to go anywhere in Suramerica for me. Obviously there's the family reasons for Colombia... Argentina has one particular family member we want to visit but since it would be a seminary visit we wouldn't be able to stick around his neck of the woods that much... bummer eeyy! I guess we'd have to explore towards Patagonia.

That's where I lived, and YES, I LOVE them and couldn't get enough. I dream about them now....

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Timeline

What was the name of the place... yellow building right on the blvd... El Forastero or something like that?

Damn they were GOOD

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
I spent $2000 in Colombia in 2½ months and we used that mainly to pay bills, groceries, medical stuff, etc., so it does go a long way. We also took the bus and the metro everywhere unless it was cheaper to take a cab. We travelled by bus instead of taking a plane, so that helped out a lot and the trips we made were out of this mind gorgeous. Cold showers galore but then again when it's so hot they feel pretty good, lunch was like $4US for two people, going to a river for a swim was free and again, gorgeous scenery. Colombia is really cheap and a total blast.

Diana

Think of it this way... cold showers = refreshing on a hot sticky day. Good. Then a glass of jugo de lulo and we're all set.

In 3 months in Colombia I spent about $3000 for all the aforementioned bills... plus an engagement ring :D

And we managed a tour package to Providencia over a long weekend in there, by plane with all costs except the rental scooter we got on the island.

I had a trauma involving an ice bath when I was a kid...so cold showers were taken with only one body part under the water at a time. *shudder*

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Timeline
Wow, $1200 in 2 weeks? I must have been living like a Peruvian when I was there...

Eh, we wound up paying for a lot of meals, which was from the kindness of our hearts, not because anyone asked.

Also: two plane tickets to Cusco, and the almost 200 dollars it cost me to get up there and into Machu Picchu as I'm not a citizen. AND, I had 150 dollars left over when I got home. Wait, no...220. So 300+200+220=720 ... okay so if we hadn't traveled to Cusco, it would have only cost me about 500.

So considering that, I think I did pretty well :D

My husband had his own money, but in two nights he bought three bottles of whiskey (about 120 dollars) ... he likes to spend spend spend when he thinks he has money, like his brother. For real though, it was fun, so I don't care.

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Timeline
Abosolutely bora bora... I prefer the (nongringo) backpacker style. That in itself is enough to bring the costs down. Bolivia was very inexpensive and Colombia... well, they're on an upswing with tourism now.

We stayed with family... and the only backpackers I saw were gringos? And there were a lot of them in Cusco...

The flight attendants with Avianca were so fing rude to me because I was American (saying #### in Spanish thinking I did not understand), which put a bad taste in my mouth about Colombia. I hear it is beautiful though...

Maybe we can get some insider info on Peru 'cause I do remember it being a bit expensive compared to Colombia and Bolivia.

I've never been to Colombia but I know that Bolivia was pretty inexpensive.

I was just surprised that athena spent that much money in Peru since it's a lot cheaper than Brazil and I never spent that much money in Brazil.

But that's just me...I think I'm a simple person (as is my husband), and we don't go the tourist route.

We didn't go to the tourist route either ... stayed with family and ate at cheap restaurants, etc. But I broke it down in another post, so it was really only about 500. 1200 was what I had saved (oops)

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Timeline

No offense... but...

When you are in a foreign country that uses a language other than the one you speak, it may be polite to try to speak it... it will help you loads anywhere you go. Even trying.

But yes... Avianca for what its worth does kind of have an air of many American airline companies when it comes to flight attendants and customer service even though I don't have any complaints other than the price of airfare. And that's a little avoidable using AeroRepublica whenever I fly inside Colombia.

:D

Timeline
No offense... but...

When you are in a foreign country that uses a language other than the one you speak, it may be polite to try to speak it... it will help you loads anywhere you go. Even trying.

But yes... Avianca for what its worth does kind of have an air of many American airline companies when it comes to flight attendants and customer service even though I don't have any complaints other than the price of airfare. And that's a little avoidable using AeroRepublica whenever I fly inside Colombia.

You don't offend me, because I do speak it. Not fabulously well when I'm sober, but I'm definitely understandable (and even smart enough to correct my errors if I realize I made one :P).

And I told her where to shove it when she told me they were sending me back to Miami. That was the one that was super rude, it was when we were boarding for Lima. So it wasn't an "I didn't speak the language" thing, but a "I looked like I didn't speak the language so she thought she could get away with being rude without me understanding" thing. Blah.

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline

Wow,they sell them at the Bolivian bakery here.They're okay,but NOTHING beats the Colombian bakeries.

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

Timeline

Wow,they sell them at the Bolivian bakery here.They're okay,but NOTHING beats the Colombian bakeries.

Oh I WISH we had a Bolivian bakery here! There is one Peruvian restaurant that I know about - and plan on returning to. Who knew the only day they'd be closed would be Wednesday? :angry:

Anyway....I gotta decide where to go this summer - this thread is making me want to travel even more than I already did. My hubby doesn't want to go anywhere though, not yet, he wants to establish himself more here, so I'll go w/ a friend or my sister.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

07/2007 - EAD approved

Timeline
No offense... but...

You don't offend me, because I do speak it. Not fabulously well when I'm sober, but I'm definitely understandable (and even smart enough to correct my errors if I realize I made one :P).

And I told her where to shove it when she told me they were sending me back to Miami. That was the one that was super rude, it was when we were boarding for Lima. So it wasn't an "I didn't speak the language" thing, but a "I looked like I didn't speak the language so she thought she could get away with being rude without me understanding" thing. Blah.

Holy cow!

That's a case for a good letter to Avianca Customer Service in Miami... written in Spanish no less ;)

Last time I went through that kind of experience I got 1/2 a free trip in miles.

Oh I WISH we had a Bolivian bakery here! There is one Peruvian restaurant that I know about - and plan on returning to. Who knew the only day they'd be closed would be Wednesday? :angry:

Anyway....I gotta decide where to go this summer - this thread is making me want to travel even more than I already did. My hubby doesn't want to go anywhere though, not yet, he wants to establish himself more here, so I'll go w/ a friend or my sister.

I know in Miami there's a Peruvian restaurant that makes Salteñas for those that ask... I can't remember the location...

Timeline
No offense... but...

You don't offend me, because I do speak it. Not fabulously well when I'm sober, but I'm definitely understandable (and even smart enough to correct my errors if I realize I made one :P ).

Holy cow!

That's a case for a good letter to Avianca Customer Service in Miami... written in Spanish no less ;)

Last time I went through that kind of experience I got 1/2 a free trip in miles.

I know in Miami there's a Peruvian restaurant that makes Salteñas for those that ask... I can't remember the location...

Now I'm hungry...

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

07/2007 - EAD approved

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline
I'm pretty sure its in the South Miami/Sweetwater area :D

Bon Appetit!

All I can say is that I wish I was in Miami right now,this snow is annoying me.

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

Luckily, I haven't experienced any of this, except for my some diabetic testing supplies for my fiancee's mom, because they are very expensive in Costa Rica. She offered to re-imburse me but I declined. But I have a strange feeling that once we get married it will start... but I pretty much told my fiancee it is not going to be a regular thing. This is one thing I will not put up with. I am marrying my fiancee not her whole family. Luckily, we will live in the US, so they can't move in with us, which is what they would've wanted to do had we chosen to live there. :no:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.