panamania79

Why do family members and in-laws back home think we're rich ?

91 posts in this topic

I am not supporting a family of seven in the Philippines. The Dad lost his job right after Claudeth came here and he has never bothered to look for work now that he has us. Fortunately my business there is making a profit so it is supporting them to the life style they have become accustomed to :blink:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline
This is why we will NEVER live in my husband's country. He gets it all the time because he has an American wife, but it's worse when I visit. We have to "hold court" every morning. The living room is full of people waiting for us to wake up so they can ask my husband for money. To deny them would seem stingy, and, of course, we want to help out as much as we can. There is no way they can understand that while compared to them we are rich, we have responsibilities back home that we simply cannot ignore because we want to help them out. It is very frustrating. When our daughter was born my husband looked at her and said, "You will have a lot of responsibility." I nearly collapsed with the weight of the realization of what I had brought her into.

That must make you feel like royalty.I find it so hilarious that all my fiance's friends told him,"So you nabbed yourself a gringa,you just hit the lottery,man." :wacko:

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

Timeline
I guess I'm lucky. My family and friends would never ask me for money or to buy them anything.

You are VERY lucky. :thumbs:

The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
January 12,2011-RFE

Timeline
I guess I'm lucky. My family and friends would never ask me for money or to buy them anything.

January 12,2011-RFE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I guess it's because I don't come from a poor family, if I did maybe they'd ask for, you never know.

I guess it's because I don't come from a poor family, if I did maybe they'd ask for, you never know.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

We are blessed! My family never asks for monye they keep ask me if we need money, isn't that funny? and this year they are inviting us to go to visit them to Peru, they want to pay for our tkts but we don' t feel comfortable enough I know they are my family but we can afford it.

Vi

sofsmile-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

We're also lucky because my husband's family never asks us for money - or anything for that matter. We have collected some things that we want to send to his brother since he has a family (with small kids), but we have yet to send anything.

On the other hand, my husband's "aquaintances" are quick to send messages to him asking for Nike shoes, a laptop, clothes, etc. Mr. borabora always says yes and that if they send him money he'll buy and ship it out to them. That's when the conversation ends.

My husband has very few people of whom he'd call his friends - and they NEVER ask for anything. These are the people that will receive gifts when we go back to visit.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

what a great topic.........they think America is a bed or Roses and it's not. I still aint find that pot of gold @the end of the rainbow yet.

My in-laws don't usually ask me anything personally but they do ask my husband all the time. so and so school fee due, need medicine and who needs to go to the doctors. He be all stressed out about it and he is the 3rd youngest out of 7 kids but he's the one that they call on.

I tell him all the time I don't like to talk to your sister because she always begging money even though she doesn't come out and ask i know she wants to and I can support her and her 5 kids and husband.

In America I'm considered the working Poor even though the government doesn't think so I do.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
This is why we will NEVER live in my husband's country. He gets it all the time because he has an American wife, but it's worse when I visit. We have to "hold court" every morning. The living room is full of people waiting for us to wake up so they can ask my husband for money. To deny them would seem stingy, and, of course, we want to help out as much as we can. There is no way they can understand that while compared to them we are rich, we have responsibilities back home that we simply cannot ignore because we want to help them out. It is very frustrating. When our daughter was born my husband looked at her and said, "You will have a lot of responsibility." I nearly collapsed with the weight of the realization of what I had brought her into.

I would have said no she doesn't and 10 to 1 she won't feel that same sense of responsibility your husband does,

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

Timeline
When I met my wife her family were squatters, living in a tiny shack by the side of the road. They lived from day to day, with whatever small amount of money her father could make doing farm labor.

They never asked us for a penny.

I was so inspired (and humbled) I bought them a little piece of land and I am now building a simple small house for them. They are very thankful for that, and I feel fortunate to be able to do it.

They still don't ask for anything. :)

that is beautiful

Filed: Timeline
When I met my wife her family were squatters, living in a tiny shack by the side of the road. They lived from day to day, with whatever small amount of money her father could make doing farm labor.

I was so inspired (and humbled) I bought them a little piece of land and I am now building a simple small house for them. They are very thankful for that, and I feel fortunate to be able to do it.

that is beautiful

yeah mon mi a falla u...wah u a do ovah yahso...galang back ovah so :devil:

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

that is beautiful

yeah mon mi a falla u...wah u a do ovah yahso...galang back ovah so :devil:

U are too funny, i saw a good topic and had to give some input.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

This is how it goes in my family:

1. Calls at all hours of the morning/night because no matter how many times you tell them, they do not understand the concept of time difference.

2. When I say "Hello" I get a very hurried "Call me back".

3. I call back and there is a freaking laundry list of demands. And these are not "We have no food. We need to pay for medical bills" :no: Its "I want a laptop" "Can I get an mp3 player" "I would like a Game Cube" #######? So, I very graciously hang up and get back to sleep. Before I went home last year my cousin asked for an iPod and I ripped him a new one.

So this is what I learned: to give out my cell number and turn it off at night. My sisters and my parents have my home number and can call if it is an emergency. If anyone "flashes" me, I don't call back. If someone says "call me back" I don't call back. If they have something to say, they have learned they had better have the units to call. Period. End of story.

What is the excuse they give when I ask why they need these things? "Eh, we also want to show that we have a sister in the US" :blink: Like I am some kind of status symbol :angry:

Neither my family nor my fiance's family NEED us to do anything for them. Anything we give them will be because we have extra and can do for them but not out of necessity.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline
My step-brother once told my dad that he needed $5k because he going to be kidnapped. Whatever. :rolleyes:

Diana

That's just terrible. :angry:

January 12,2011-RFE

Timeline
We're also lucky because my husband's family never asks us for money - or anything for that matter. We have collected some things that we want to send to his brother since he has a family (with small kids), but we have yet to send anything.

On the other hand, my husband's "aquaintances" are quick to send messages to him asking for Nike shoes, a laptop, clothes, etc. Mr. borabora always says yes and that if they send him money he'll buy and ship it out to them. That's when the conversation ends.

My husband has very few people of whom he'd call his friends - and they NEVER ask for anything. These are the people that will receive gifts when we go back to visit.

What is this infatuation everybody has with Nikes ? If I see or hear about a pair of Jordans one more time,I'm gonna scream ! :girlwerewolf2xn:

January 12,2011-RFE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.