SteveLaura

French celeb questions 9/11 events

95 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
But perhaps not in the way you're suggesting. I'm just not sure you can make a convincing argument that music has any more or less "use" than movies, books or art.

You find music relaxing - but that's you. Others might find similar value in a movie, book - or a garden. To use your rationale - they're all equally useless - differing only in the subjective value that individuals place upon them.

However, I consider that music has no true value. Like culture has no true value. Life is made more interesting because of it, but it by no means improves life or the progression through.

All you need is a modest house in a modest neighborhood

In a modest town where honest people dwell

--July 22---------Sent I-129F packet

--July 27---------Petition received

--August 28------NOA1 issued

--August 31------Arrived in Terrace after lots of flight delays to spend Lindsay's birthday with her

--October 10-----Completed address change online

--January 25-----NOA2 received via USCIS Case Status Online

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
But perhaps not in the way you're suggesting. I'm just not sure you can make a convincing argument that music has any more or less "use" than movies, books or art.

You find music relaxing - but that's you. Others might find similar value in a movie, book - or a garden. To use your rationale - they're all equally useless - differing only in the subjective value that individuals place upon them.

However, I consider that music has no true value. Like culture has no true value. Life is made more interesting because of it, but it by no means improves life or the progression through.

Well value is a relative concept - hard to define and pin down in any real sense (unless we're talking about money). We might also say that politics has no true value - but its clearly necessary.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well value is a relative concept - hard to define and pin down in any real sense (unless we're talking about money). We might also say that politics has no true value - but its clearly necessary.

I disagree. Politics: Poly = Many + Ticks = Blood Sucking Parasites

All you need is a modest house in a modest neighborhood

In a modest town where honest people dwell

--July 22---------Sent I-129F packet

--July 27---------Petition received

--August 28------NOA1 issued

--August 31------Arrived in Terrace after lots of flight delays to spend Lindsay's birthday with her

--October 10-----Completed address change online

--January 25-----NOA2 received via USCIS Case Status Online

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Now we're getting philosophical.

Value is given by the society and culture in question. We tend to see entertainment as having a great deal of inherent value (probably much more than it should) to our daily lives. This helps explain why movie stars and sports players are paid the outrageous sums they can make, when their professions are really far less important than a great deal of careers which earn nowhere near as much.

The reason for all of this is us, however. Enough people in Western Society decided at some point that Julia Roberts was "worth" $20 million a movie. I don't remember having a say in that, but apparently the returns at the box office were enough for the movie studios. The same goes for sports players and sporting events. We make such a big deal about games like the Super Bowl that it costs a ton to get seats in the "nosebleed" section and commercials fork out obscene amounts of money for brief, one-shot ads, just in case someone happens to remember a particularly unique beer commercial instead of the actual game.

The only way to change this is for we, the people, to stop paying money to see movies (this includes purchasing and renting DVDs as well), buy music online or off, and refusing to get tickets for sporting events. If enough people did this (and they wouldn't), eventually the effect would be felt by the entertainment industry and they would be forced to not only lower prices and salaries, but perhaps the overall importance placed on entertainment would reduce.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Now we're getting philosophical.

Value is given by the society and culture in question. We tend to see entertainment as having a great deal of inherent value (probably much more than it should) to our daily lives. This helps explain why movie stars and sports players are paid the outrageous sums they can make, when their professions are really far less important than a great deal of careers which earn nowhere near as much.

The reason for all of this is us, however. Enough people in Western Society decided at some point that Julia Roberts was "worth" $20 million a movie. I don't remember having a say in that, but apparently the returns at the box office were enough for the movie studios. The same goes for sports players and sporting events. We make such a big deal about games like the Super Bowl that it costs a ton to get seats in the "nosebleed" section and commercials fork out obscene amounts of money for brief, one-shot ads, just in case someone happens to remember a particularly unique beer commercial instead of the actual game.

The only way to change this is for we, the people, to stop paying money to see movies (this includes purchasing and renting DVDs as well), buy music online or off, and refusing to get tickets for sporting events. If enough people did this (and they wouldn't), eventually the effect would be felt by the entertainment industry and they would be forced to not only lower prices and salaries, but perhaps the overall importance placed on entertainment would reduce.

We cancelled our cable service last year. I don't miss TV.

I disagree. Politics: Poly = Many + Ticks = Blood Sucking Parasites

But necessary to social organisation.