SteveLaura

French celeb questions 9/11 events

95 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
The Trade Center conspiracies are just a major point of emphasis for me, because that girl has no background to qualify the statement. It's just a stupid, shot-in-the-dark statement based on what other people have told her happened.

Who is qualified to speak on it then? Everyone forms opinions from what they've heard and read, and that's all this was. What makes hers *less* valuable? I can see why it's not *more* valuable.

Well, a person that has a firm grasp of the mechanics involved in statics and strengths would be a good place to start.

Do you think that has stopped people from voicing opinions about certain subjects? Look at all the non-scientists who hold opinions about global warming for one. Even the intelligent design vs evolution debate.

I, for one, think that those global warming voices, most notably Al Gore, do more harm than good for the environment. They fill people with false ideas that detract from the point they are trying to make.

All you need is a modest house in a modest neighborhood

In a modest town where honest people dwell

--July 22---------Sent I-129F packet

--July 27---------Petition received

--August 28------NOA1 issued

--August 31------Arrived in Terrace after lots of flight delays to spend Lindsay's birthday with her

--October 10-----Completed address change online

--January 25-----NOA2 received via USCIS Case Status Online

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
I just want to clear up what I just said. I don't personally think that plays are trash, but they are definitely superficial.

Well superficial on what level - Thematically? Dramatically?

There is bad Shakespeare and good Shakespeare. Even the best plays can be pretty rotten in the hands of a bad cast, or likewise noticeably more intense in the hands of a good one. That's not a reflection on the writing - but certainly people don't just get up there and reel off lines like "yada yada yada". There is a bit of artistry to it.

But you're comparing William Shakespeare to this dumb chick.

My statement that it is superficial is because it provides nothing more than entertainment, but it is held up and funded as an irreplacable part of American culture. I just don't buy it.

I'm not comparing Shakespeare to her. You made a broadbrush, general statement about actors and acting in general - that takes the emphasis off her and onto a profession and industry that is comprised of thousands of people. From what you've said about Shakespeare it seems you feel the same way about writers and writing.

Besides if you dismiss it as "nothing more than entertainment", what do you consider an irreplaceable part of American (or any) culture?

What about museums - waste of space?

If you throw out art, history and indeed art-history - what cultural heritage can you have?

"Culture" is useless.

wow..you just proved my last statement :thumbs:

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

I just want to clear up what I just said. I don't personally think that plays are trash, but they are definitely superficial.

There is bad Shakespeare and good Shakespeare. Even the best plays can be pretty rotten in the hands of a bad cast, or likewise noticeably more intense in the hands of a good one. That's not a reflection on the writing - but certainly people don't just get up there and reel off lines like "yada yada yada". There is a bit of artistry to it.

My statement that it is superficial is because it provides nothing more than entertainment, but it is held up and funded as an irreplacable part of American culture. I just don't buy it.

I'm not comparing Shakespeare to her. You made a broadbrush, general statement about actors and acting in general - that takes the emphasis off her and onto a profession and industry that is comprised of thousands of people. From what you've said about Shakespeare it seems you feel the same way about writers and writing.

Besides if you dismiss it as "nothing more than entertainment", what do you consider an irreplaceable part of American (or any) culture?

If you throw out art, history and indeed art-history - what cultural heritage can you have?

"Culture" is useless.

You must lead a pretty boring life, no tv, no music, no movies or anything that is art or entertainment.

keTiiDCjGVo

Timeline
The Trade Center conspiracies are just a major point of emphasis for me, because that girl has no background to qualify the statement. It's just a stupid, shot-in-the-dark statement based on what other people have told her happened.

Who is qualified to speak on it then? Everyone forms opinions from what they've heard and read, and that's all this was. What makes hers *less* valuable? I can see why it's not *more* valuable.

Well, a person that has a firm grasp of the mechanics involved in statics and strengths would be a good place to start.

But like I said, hers is simply an opinion. I have one too, though I'm not a mechanical engineer.

AnewKINDofFEELIN is the only one allowed to have an opinion

My opinion is well-grounded in years of research and mechanical testing, not rumors and hearsay.

--August 31------Arrived in Terrace after lots of flight delays to spend Lindsay's birthday with her

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
"Culture" is useless.

It paid my bills for eight years!

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

But like I said, hers is simply an opinion. I have one too, though I'm not a mechanical engineer.

My opinion is well-grounded in years of research and mechanical testing, not rumors and hearsay.

So what are your qualifications which allow you to make the statement that culture is useless?

ETA: I'm having a hard time believing that you really feel that people shouldn't open their mouths unless they have an advanced degree in the subject at hand. Just sounds silly to me.

Edited by Jenn!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Im sure reading the same sentence youve written over and over again for years is not considered research :)

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

"Culture" is useless.

How is it useless? Does this mean then that we should bulldoze historic buildings and dig up indian burial grounds to make way for strip-malls?

I always thought Salisbury plain would be a piece of good real estate - if only it weren't for that damned stone circle in the middle of it.

On another point - you don't find too many people of that opinion when they claim that their country is being taken over by people who won't "assimilate".

Timeline
You must lead a pretty boring life, no tv, no music, no movies or anything that is art or entertainment.

Actually, I don't. I watch movies. I love music. I TRULY love music. However, I don't give two shits what Zack de la Rocha has to say about Che.

Actually, I don't. I watch movies. I love music. I TRULY love music. However, I don't give two shits what Zack de la Rocha has to say about Che.

Music is culture too.

But then its all in the eyes and ears of the beholder.

keTiiDCjGVo

Timeline

"Culture" is useless.

How is it useless? Does this mean then that we should bulldoze historic buildings and dig up indian burial grounds to make way for strip-malls?

I always thought Salisbury plain would be a piece of good real estate - if only it weren't for that damned stone circle in the middle of it.

On another point - you don't find too many people of that opinion when they claim that their country is being taken over by people who won't "assimilate".

No, I am in no way trying to say that we should destroy historic landmarks, but I will treat them as landmarks. Stonehenge is completely useless, though.

Music is culture too.

Yes, and music is reasonably useless. It soothes. There's a use, but it is unnecessary and a distraction from our place in the multiverse.

Timeline

But if you throw out culture as worthless how can music have any value to you whatsoever? Is music not a part of culture?

I mean... what value does music have that actors, writers and artists do not?

Besides.... do you like ALL music, or only dislike SOME actors?

Timeline

So what are your qualifications which allow you to make the statement that culture is useless?

ETA: I'm having a hard time believing that you really feel that people shouldn't open their mouths unless they have an advanced degree in the subject at hand. Just sounds silly to me.

I'm a mechanical engineer who specialized in strengths of material in my college years. Thus, I could describe all modes of failure occuring within the world trade center after it was hit by planes.

Timeline

"Culture" is useless.

No, I am in no way trying to say that we should destroy historic landmarks, but I will treat them as landmarks. Stonehenge is completely useless, though.

Music is culture too.

Yes, and music is reasonably useless. It soothes. There's a use, but it is unnecessary and a distraction from our place in the multiverse.

A fellow Moorcock fan?

Timeline

But if you throw out culture as worthless how can music have any value to you whatsoever? Is music not a part of culture?

I mean... what value does music have that actors, writers and artists do not?

Besides.... do you like ALL music, or only dislike SOME actors?

I don't dislike actors. I think the actress at hand is an idiot. I think Sean Penn is a hypocrit and fool. Do I dislike some actors? Sure, but it has to do with them in particular.

However, I do take issue with them making inflammatory statements on things of which they have no knowledge.