workin4somethin

So.... how are the driving lessons going?

316 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

We finally got my wife's learners permit figured out. There was a problem as we had never gone back to SSA office to change her name on the SS card and to remove restrictions now that she has her green card. They were having troubles matching her other info with her SSN. Went to SSA office last week and waited 2 hours to do that, and then the drivers license office, then a phone call to Tallahassee. This week we received her official laminated learners permit that replaces that temporary piece of paper. The new learners permit says it expires in 2015! That's great as I believe it will take that long for my wife to learn how to drive. Do you know what it's like sitting in the car as your wife drives 10 mph, the impatient drivers are stacked up behind you, and they can't pass? I told her she should pull over and wave them around. She stopped right there and looked at me like, what are you talking about?

So far we haven't hit anything except a few curbs. This is really making me nervous as we have a 3 month old car.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Dogs can't take MRI's but Cat scan.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You guys are scaring me already :lol: Vika has never had a license, and her friends that have seen her try to drive apparently say they cannot imagine her driving every day. Can't say I am looking forward to the "lessons".

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
You guys are scaring me already :lol: Vika has never had a license, and her friends that have seen her try to drive apparently say they cannot imagine her driving every day. Can't say I am looking forward to the "lessons".

I read these posts and start to worry.. My wife did not drive, but I did put her behind the wheel few times to try, on a parking lot. It was fine, much better than I expected. Just do not put any pressure, and do not yell or make fun or whatever would make her more nervous or to be afraid.

I think when she will be here we will continue evening/night lessons on some parking lots, and within a month or so she would be ready to drive and pass the test.

Basically it should be the same attitude as with learning English, take it easy and encourage trying it more often and make her feel good about it.

Marriage : 2001-09-26

CSC:

I-130 Sent : 2008-03-01

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-12

I-130 Approved : 2008-07-24

NVC:

NVC Received: 2008-07-30

DS-3032 and AOS bill generated: 2008-08-04

DS-3032 e-mailed (with autoreply): 2008-08-05

AOS fee paid online: 2008-08-06

AOS fee received in AVR and online: 2008-08-07

DS-3032 accepted with e-mail notice: 2008-08-15

IV fee bill paid online: 2008-08-16

IV fee bill generated in AVR: 2008-08-18

IV fee bill Accepted (PAID online): 2008-08-19

I-864 Express Mailed: 2008-08-19

IV fee and 864 received at NVC, called to confirm: 2008-08-22

DS-230 Express Mailed to NVC: 2008-08-25

RFE issued (864): 2008-09-2, sent correction: 2008-09-03

RFE Checklist received: 2008-09-08

Case Complete: 2008-09-16

I read these posts and start to worry.. My wife did not drive, but I did put her behind the wheel few times to try, on a parking lot. It was fine, much better than I expected. Just do not put any pressure, and do not yell or make fun or whatever would make her more nervous or to be afraid.

I think when she will be here we will continue evening/night lessons on some parking lots, and within a month or so she would be ready to drive and pass the test.

Basically it should be the same attitude as with learning English, take it easy and encourage trying it more often and make her feel good about it.

Good idea. Maybe a mall parking lot on Sunday morning. No curbs, and only the occasional lamp post as an obstacle. ;)

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Good idea. Maybe a mall parking lot on Sunday morning. No curbs, and only the occasional lamp post as an obstacle. ;)

Parking lots are perfect for another reason too: safe parallel parking training using marked spots. Tilt down the right rearview mirror for her, and she will learn to do it in few days, safer and cheaper than curb rash on wheels.

And because there will be less pressure and less danger of causing damage to the car she will feel at ease and things will work better and faster, make it fun.

Basically this applies to teenager learning lessons too I guess :)

Marriage : 2001-09-26

CSC:

I-130 Sent : 2008-03-01

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-12

I-130 Approved : 2008-07-24

NVC:

NVC Received: 2008-07-30

DS-3032 and AOS bill generated: 2008-08-04

DS-3032 e-mailed (with autoreply): 2008-08-05

AOS fee paid online: 2008-08-06

AOS fee received in AVR and online: 2008-08-07

DS-3032 accepted with e-mail notice: 2008-08-15

IV fee bill paid online: 2008-08-16

IV fee bill generated in AVR: 2008-08-18

IV fee bill Accepted (PAID online): 2008-08-19

I-864 Express Mailed: 2008-08-19

IV fee and 864 received at NVC, called to confirm: 2008-08-22

DS-230 Express Mailed to NVC: 2008-08-25

RFE issued (864): 2008-09-2, sent correction: 2008-09-03

RFE Checklist received: 2008-09-08

Case Complete: 2008-09-16

Just do not put any pressure, and do not yell or make fun or whatever would make her more nervous or to be afraid.

:thumbs: Even after the 15th training hour, it's still not worth it.

Try a movie theater parking lot instead. Way less people and absolutely zero women looking for shoes instead of other cars. Before noon on any day works well.

Dr. and dentist offices work well after hours for parking practice and then take her to that movie theater to let her practice "high speed" maneuvers. Get her out there on the first day and do a turn at 5 mph then another at 35 mph. You might $#!T yourself, but she'll get the point. One of the hardest things for them to understand is accelerating/braking and the connection between increased speed and centrifugal force while turning. You'll end up going from 40 to 4 real quick, missing the turn, and then reversing at high speed (while still turning) and then starting all over, only to swing way too wide this time and into (simulated) oncoming traffic.

You can show them a million times how to do it properly, "coach" them through it, but as said above, it's best just to save your breath to cool your porridge.

Go to the parking lot, turn them loose and tell them to "figure it out." (Because that's what she's going to do anyway whether you help her or not. Only difference is this way you avoid the argument and stay out of the dog house.)

I almost miss driving practice. Almost.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Do you know what it's like sitting in the car as your wife drives 10 mph, the impatient drivers are stacked up behind you, and they can't pass? I told her she should pull over and wave them around. She stopped right there and looked at me like, what are you talking about?

Enjoy the 10 miles an hour while it lasts. It won't. Our best spot to practice was school parking lots. Very few people in the evenings and weekends and usually enough of a layout to make it interesting. Another thing I did, she was having trouble backing up so I had her circle the school parking lot a few times in reverse. It was enough practice she did much better.

I can recall my wife driving the access road from the theater parking lot to the mall parking lot at 10 miles an hour or less and the traffic backed way up behind her. Now sometimes she reminds me more of a Moscow taxi driver. I was never big on seat belts but that has changed.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

It sounds like the theater, etc. suggestions have to do with the layout of the parking lot. I guess the only casualties would be small bushes if you choose the time right. I see where having some ostacles that won't total the car might be useful. After a basic understanding of the difference between accelerator and brake is reached.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

I was never big on seat belts but that has changed.

I'm only typing this today because a seat belt saved my life. (On more than one occasion, I might add.) It's amazing the amount of wreckage and carnage you can literally unbuckle and walk away from if you're wearing your seat belt.

The carnage is also amazing if you're not wearing your seat belt, but you won't see it.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

why not just get her a motorcycle without the motor? :devil:

224422360_a33d9d7f5c.jpg

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Is that a John Deere or is that Brazil's attempt to win gold in the Mowlympics?

Русский форум член.

Timeline

keep that pic, if your wife wants an exercise bike, show her that.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Oh snap! Good one charles! But, we've already proven how motivated our wives are... hell, they can't even drive!

Русский форум член.

Timeline

Oh snap! Good one charles! But, we've already proven how motivated our wives are... hell, they can't even drive!

i still shudder thinking about that pic of your jeep against the house! :blink:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

i still shudder thinking about that pic of your jeep against the house! :blink:

There was a guy looking at my Jeep the other day and it has a pretty nice crack in the windshield. He said, "what, did the wife get mad and throw a rock at your window?" I replied, "No, but she did do this...."

Unintentionally, of course. Dents and dings I can deal with, but once my breaks go out.... there's gonna be some 'splainin to do.

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.