workin4somethin

So.... how are the driving lessons going?

316 posts in this topic

I have heard some stories that in Russia you can just buy (bribe) your drivers liscence without ever spending a minute actually learning to drive. One more reason the roads there are hazardous.

The "driver's training course" my wife took in Russia prior to coming here was like $250 or something and did a couple of lessons in a car with an instructor and then issued all the trainees an international DL. (With no Russian DL necessary.) I'm not really sure what they taught her, but she said she passed the examination in a stick-shift because she didn't spin out on the ice when pulling away from the car behind her.

Surprisingly enough though, once she got here we had to start all over. (In an automatic because she couldn't drive a stick..... huh? Training, what training?)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Wife took the learners permit test yesterday. There were 2 written tests. She passed one but failed the other on questions about how many points..., how many feet..., etc. Guess I'm off the hook for another week or two and the new car will be safe.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Dogs can't take MRI's but Cat scan.

Wife took the learners permit test yesterday. There were 2 written tests. She passed one but failed the other on questions about how many points..., how many feet..., etc. Guess I'm off the hook for another week or two and the new car will be safe.

Same with my wife. The points and feet and other "technicalities" were the only quetions she got wrong. I can be partly to blame for that because while studying we focused so much on the driving, signs, etc., I forgot to really push the other aspects; things like suspensions and DUI, etc.

Remember to help your S/O study for the whole test, not just the parts she'll need to drive.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• 2 weeks later...

Slim the offer still stands if you and your wife want to come up here for a visit, she can learn to drive from my wife and we can go golfing or fishing. The kid loves to go for a ride in the car and your wife can practice driving while distracted.

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

Slim the offer still stands if you and your wife want to come up here for a visit, she can learn to drive from my wife and we can go golfing or fishing. The kid loves to go for a ride in the car and your wife can practice driving while distracted.

Thanks for the offer, but I try to keep my wife away from kids as much as possible. Those things are contagious. You and I would enjoy a nice round of golf followed by reeling in a few lunkers and then the next day I'd wake up with a white stick and a blue + in my face.

Thanks, but no thanks. (For now.)

Русский форум член.

Filed: Timeline
Thanks for the offer, but I try to keep my wife away from kids as much as possible. Those things are contagious. You and I would enjoy a nice round of golf followed by reeling in a few lunkers and then the next day I'd wake up with a white stick and a blue + in my face.

I'm not so sure that came out exactly as you intended. :lol:

Oh, I think it did :rofl::ot2: Vika has no need or desire to drive now, but recognizes that driving is part of life here. I also have a sixteen year old. Hopefully I can find an insurance company with a volume discount.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Oh, I think it did :rofl::ot2: Vika has no need or desire to drive now, but recognizes that driving is part of life here. I also have a sixteen year old. Hopefully I can find an insurance company with a volume discount.

Oooooo... a volume discount would be nice. My wife and her 17-yr-old son both knew how to drive before they came here. I try not to think too much about how the 17-yr-old picked up his driving experience. He now has his learner's permit and will be going for the real deal (full license) next month. Natalia is driving on her international license with no problems. Both of them drive well although the 17-yr-old scared me a little when he off-handedly commented, "I will show them the meaning of Russian speed!". If you learn about any volume discounts let me know. :thumbs:

RUS.GIFNatalia & BuckUS1.GIF

May 02, 2007 - Petition Mailed to Nebraska Service Center (and then transferred to California Service Center)

May 29, 2007 - NOA1: K1

Sep 19, 2007 - NOA2: K1

Nov 02, 2007 - NVC Received Petition from CSC

Dec 13, 2007 - NVC Processing Completed; Petition forwarded to Moscow Consulate

Mar 03, 2008 - Moscow Interview Date: VISA APPROVED

Mar 06, 2008 - VISA's received in Omsk

Mar 24, 2008 - USA Arrival; HALLELUJAH !!!!

May 31, 2008 - MARRIED

Jun 17, 2008 - AOS, EAD, AP Filed - Natalia & Artem (17 yr-old son)

Jun 23, 2008 - NOA1: AOS, EAD, AP - Natalia & Artem

July 15, 2008 - Biometrics: AOS, EAD - Natalia & Artem

DISCLAIMER: ALL VIEWS EXPRESSED BY US ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE NOR DO THEY ESTABLISH AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP.

Yeah... reading back through there I see it was a poor choice of words, especially among you **-erotic hounds. Should've said soemthing a little less fruity like "We would've enjoyed a nice day of doing manly activities like drinking beer and hitting things, killing some fish and eating them, drinking more beer. Then the next day my wife would tell me the results of her pregnancy test were positive." (Omitting all references to any sticks in faces.)

If you guys are vets or govt. employees you might want to check out USAA for insurance. They're super cheap. http://www.usaa.com

Русский форум член.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
If you guys are vets or govt. employees you might want to check out USAA for insurance. They're super cheap. http://www.usaa.com

:thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Just got my new car yesterday, and drove it all the way home from out of town! Driving here in Raleigh is a piece of cake compared to Moscow.

It's a Suzuki Verona, surprisingly. And I thought I was a strictly Honda girl. :rolleyes:

Aug 2003 first icebreaker ;-)

2003 - 2006 letters, letters, letters

Aug 2006 met at regatta in Greece

03/20/2007 I-129f mailed to TSC

08/06/2007 NOA-2, 118 days from the 1st notice.

10/24/2007 Interview in Moscow, visa approved

12/06/2007 Entered at JFK, got EAD stamp.

01/25/2008 Married in St. Augustine, FL

02/19/2008 AOS package mailed

09/30/2008 AOS interview - APPROVED!

10/11/2008 Green card in the mail

01/14/2009 Our little girl, Fiona Elizabeth, was born on Jan. 14, 2009 :-)

**-erotic hounds.

Is that like people who are into gay dogs????

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
**-erotic hounds.

That is just too funny!

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Just got my new car yesterday, and drove it all the way home from out of town! Driving here in Raleigh is a piece of cake compared to Moscow.

It's a Suzuki Verona, surprisingly. And I thought I was a strictly Honda girl. :rolleyes:

Big congrats! Have fun and be careful. But if you drove in Moscow you will have absolutely no problem here. (Except all those "defensive drivers" slamming on the brakes in front of you when they have all day to turn. Watch out for those slow pokes.)

Honda, shmonda. You're rolling!

**-erotic hounds.

No, it's like people who read waaaaaay into a VJ member's post and extract all the gayness they can out of it. Fabulous!

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.