SteveLaura

Drive-in movies

30 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I've just ordered this DVD. I've never been to a drive-in movie and thought it would be fun to recreate the experience in our living room. The DVD has an added audio track that really sold it to me: "n the front left speaker, you'll hear the audio of the film (being transmitted over what SOUNDS like an actual Drive-In speaker...very tinny and MONO). In the other speaker(s), what is heard are nighttime crickets, people walking past, cars pulling up to park (beside me!), and other miscellaneous sounds!--all of which is Extremely authentic. For example, during the "Giant Leeches," (on volume ONE) there's even a carload of testosterone-charged teenagers...about 7 or 8 rows ahead (to the right!), who whistle every time blond bombshell Yvette Vickers comes onto the screen. During the intermission "highlights," people are heard running to the concession stand placing their orders, etc..."

Anyone have any memories of drive-in movie experiences they wish to share? Is there any particular snacks that you associate with drive-in movies?

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Is that for real!? :lol:

I go sometimes with my family up to a drive-in theatre in Milford, NH. I guess it's fun enough, but I think I prefer a regular movie theatre. It gets cold and buggy.

I love that Brady Bunch episode when Greg takes his date to the drive-in and Peter and Bobby's frogs are in the back seat and they jump onto the pizza. Oh good stuff.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I think you will find that many of the younger VJers were conceived at the drive in movies...

Well, that wasn't quite the experiences I had in mind for people to share but, what the hell, if it goes that way someone be sure to PM Dean and let him know.

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

There is a drive in about 2 miles from our house. For years it was overgrown with weeds and dilapidated. About 3 years ago someone bought it and restored it and it is open during the summer season. A lot of people on the front row bring lawn chairs and blankets and sit on the ground in front of the cars. It's pretty cool. You have to burn those mosquito repellent coils or spray yourself down or you will be eaten by the "squeeters" :lol:

Meriem (F)

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

We still have one here in Denver, even though I drove past it a couple of weeks ago and the big giant screens were gone.

But yeah, it's the usual all kinds of people crowd, some drunks, lots of gay people for some reason, families, kids in PJs and the can't miss out fight. It's aight.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

I think you will find that many of the younger VJers were conceived at the drive in movies...

LOL! Yea, those were the days.... I think my favorite snack was the large box of Milk Duds and the Pizza at the concession stand. There is still a few Drive-Ins open in the Kansas City area... Getting too old to hop in the back seat, so I guess I'll stay home and watch on DVD.... :devil:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My first job, with a company, was at a drive-in theatre. My primary job was handing out small portable heaters in case you got cold and watching the exit to make sure no one snuck in. My secondary job was filling the popcorn machines with popcorn made many days beforehand so it appeared fresh. The job was great for a high school kid, free movies, I could invite as many friends as I wanted, and all the food and pop we could drink, including that fresh popcorn! :lol:

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Timeline

there's a drive in here that is open in the summer. it's really neat you pay $7 per person for 2 movies! unless you're parked right up front you can barely hear the movie but you can tune your stereo into a certain AM station and it plays the movie sound for you. I think it has 7 or 8 screens but I could be wrong. last summer I tried to convince neil to go all the time but could never get him to go!

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

The last real drive in movie I saw was Spies Like Us in the mid 80's. :lol:

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

We had two Drive-in movies where I grew up and one of them is still in opeation. Ah yes, summer nights and steamy windows :P

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
We had two Drive-in movies where I grew up and one of them is still in opeation. Ah yes, summer nights and steamy windows :P

You forgot cramming into a VW Micro bus with people you just met to get high with. :wacko:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

That actually sounds pretty fun, but I doubt I could ever watch either of those movies without flashing back to the MST3K comments :lol:

Real love stories never have endings...