odeano

age difference

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
for as long as you have a bonifide relationship then they wont question you about age gap (although i knew a certain case that they were ask why marry someone that is way older, but they're approved nonetheless)... and i do think that each CO has an opinion on age gap, they never really open it up knowing its not really an issue in the process rather its just their personal view so they just shut their mouth about it especially if they cant find any flaws pertaning to docs and evidences...

my husband and i got age gap too but yea they never brought it up during my interview.

I agree. This is exactly my point. Thats why I think that a couple with a large age gap must be more prepared to show more proof.

For example, My wife and I might be ok with just a marriage certificate for proof of relationship. Were' both filipinos and were close in age. Although my wife will bring more evidence such as photos, I think couples like us have a better chance of getting away without it.

On the other hand, that same interviewer might ask for more evidence if say the filipina is 18 and the foreigner is 48. On top of the age gap, there are obviously going to be cultural differences.

All Im saying is that you never know. You might get a judgemental CO and get denied because you didnt have "enough" evidence. It is better to be prepared. Log all your online correspondence. Keep all snail mails. Keep your itinerary receipt. Take lots of photos. Photos with hearts coming out of your eyes.

Edited by NoelandTintin

What culture? I was born and raised in the Philippines and I didnt know that it is a filipina culture to marry someone twice their age.

Sorry for misleading you but what I was trying to say about the "culture" is it is not very uncommon for Filipinas to marry older men especially at this modern times.

And if you read what jasman said, he said... "filipina with a foreigner". You certainly wont find a lot of filipina with much older filipinos. At least, not nearly as much as you see filipina with a much older foreigner.

Exactly! And obviously, the OP is in a filipina-foreigner relationship that's why age gap is not going to be a problem as long as you have enough evidences to prove that the relationship is genuine.

But this thread its not about filipinas with much older men. It is aboutthe question, "can you get denied a visa for large age gap." And the answer to that question is no.

And I agree with you on this...

But no one can still guarantee that the consular officer wont give the visa applicant added scrutiny because of a large age gap.

COs are trained to be professional and to practice professionalism. Their job is to make sure that the petitioner and the beneficiary are in a bona fide relationship. Being COs in the Philippines, they are aware that it is normal for Filipinas to fall in love and marry an American even if the age gap is huge. They are not trained to voice out personal opinions on how they feel about a young Pinay trying to marry an older Kano as long as they can see strong evidences of the relationship.

All Im saying is... If you have a large age gap, the couple MUST make sure they have everything they need to prove the relationship is real.

Exactly my point, my dear...

P.S.

Maybe someone should re-read my post and see if I missed mentioning that you need to have evidences to prove genuine relationship...

Have a nice weekend everyone!

--Mae

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Has anyone heard that of a K-1 visa being denied because of an age difference of 24 years? My fiance is 25 and I am 49.

Is the USC the 25 y/o? Can you at least update your timeline so we can see who the petitioner and the beneficiary? Now if the beneficiary is the older one, then that's another story... :thumbs:

as for example of proof, check david and mae's photos... you can almost see hearts coming out of their eyes :wub::thumbs:

Well thank you, my dear... :blush::blush::blush: Had to threaten my husband that I won't cook adobo anymore if he won't smile on the pictures. :luv: JUST KIDDING!

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

What culture? I was born and raised in the Philippines and I didnt know that it is a filipina culture to marry someone twice their age.

Sorry for misleading you but what I was trying to say about the "culture" is it is not very uncommon for Filipinas to marry older men especially at this modern times.

And if you read what jasman said, he said... "filipina with a foreigner". You certainly wont find a lot of filipina with much older filipinos. At least, not nearly as much as you see filipina with a much older foreigner.

Exactly! And obviously, the OP is in a filipina-foreigner relationship that's why age gap is not going to be a problem as long as you have enough evidences to prove that the relationship is genuine.

But this thread its not about filipinas with much older men. It is aboutthe question, "can you get denied a visa for large age gap." And the answer to that question is no.

And I agree with you on this...

But no one can still guarantee that the consular officer wont give the visa applicant added scrutiny because of a large age gap.

COs are trained to be professional and to practice professionalism. Their job is to make sure that the petitioner and the beneficiary are in a bona fide relationship. Being COs in the Philippines, they are aware that it is normal for Filipinas to fall in love and marry an American even if the age gap is huge. They are not trained to voice out personal opinions on how they feel about a young Pinay trying to marry an older Kano as long as they can see strong evidences of the relationship.

All Im saying is... If you have a large age gap, the couple MUST make sure they have everything they need to prove the relationship is real.

Exactly my point, my dear...

P.S.

Maybe someone should re-read my post and see if I missed mentioning that you need to have evidences to prove genuine relationship...

Have a nice weekend everyone!

--Mae

hey mae whats up!

i got ya :thumbs:

i enjoyed this thread

~yam~

Edited by ronmay

Citizenship N-400

4/15/2010- sent my N-400 via fedex overnight

4/16/2010- signed and delivered

4/29/2010- check cleared

hey mae whats up!

i enjoyed this thread

~yam~

Hello, May! Not much here, just enjoying the sun and taking care of my poor husband who came down with a flu virus. :( Poor him!

Gawd, I'm getting sick of the nasty cold weather, finally some warmer weekend. :dance: Can't wait for the spring! :thumbs:

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

hey mae whats up!

i enjoyed this thread

~yam~

Hello, May! Not much here, just enjoying the sun and taking care of my poor husband who came down with a flu virus. :( Poor him!

Gawd, I'm getting sick of the nasty cold weather, finally some warmer weekend. :dance: Can't wait for the spring! :thumbs:

good to hear! yeah for the first time got 70 degrees here so just plain tshirt and jeans for me outside hehe... :dance:

just found this new job (work at home call center and we're actually handling comcast billing) so im busy with training 8 hrs in the comp nothing to do cept dropping by on VJ...

anyways glad for the reply! nice to know u!!!

~yam~

Citizenship N-400

4/15/2010- sent my N-400 via fedex overnight

4/16/2010- signed and delivered

4/29/2010- check cleared

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.