BlakeandOlha

January Filers at the CSC - How are you doing?

4,270 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I'd say something like 400€ to make -> 3200€ in the stores?

07/31/08 Entry in USA with K1 visa

08/27/08 Married

05/15/09 Conditional green card received

05/10/11 Permanent green card received

07/28/12 Started naturalization process

08/31/12 Biometrics done

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I'd say something like 400€ to make -> 3200€ in the stores?

Very good guess!!! The answer really depends on where its made - if in France using technical materials or very high threadcounts (as I'm sure these are) you could run around 400 euros, perhaps even a little more. If made in China (most of assembly work is made there - but since the inital sewing was performed in France, they can still put "made in France" on the label) the cost coudl come down another 20-30%. All that slick advertising, fashion shows, magazine placements and store supports, cost a lot of money.

The company I worked for would contract manufacture a child's down filled coat in China for about $12, sell it to Saks or Nordstrom for $50, and they would turn around and sell it to the consumer at $180. Work the ratio's backwards and you can get an idea. A lot of people make money along the way.

And So It Begins......

My Timeline:

15 Sep 2007 Engaged!

25 Jan 2008 Sent I-129F to CSC

28 Jan 2008 I-129F receipted at CSC

29 Jan 2008 NOA1

30 Jan 2008 Touched - filing box here we come....

05 Feb 2008 Hard Copy NOA1 Received in Mail

03 Jun 2008 NOA2

10 Sep 2008 Interview 9:30

16 Jan 2009 Fly back to the USA

?? ??? 2009 Wedding Bells are Ringing

I've considered making my own dress, but I am not an experienced seamstress (I've only recently managed to lay hands on my sewing machine again; haven't used it in several years) and besides, I'm not sure what style would suit.

Feeling better after yesterday! Porridge for breakfast and watercress and tuna sandwiches for lunch. I'm also making broth from the lamb as there was a lot of fat and skin and marrow left on the bones. I'll soak a lentil/bean mix overnight and use that and the broth to make a vegetable soup tomorrow. I like soup for lunch but store-made soups either have dairy products in (which I'm trying to avoid) or too much salt.

I'm not a science-fiction fan normally, but as part of a Secret Santa present I received two books by Connie Willis and they are really good. So that's what I've been reading this weekend.

I do the Secret Santa every year with the forums that Alex & I met on, and it's surprising how generous strange internet people can be! The average price of a gift is somewhere around $100 - although the only rule is that you give what you can afford. Some people have even received TVs and DSes in the past! You do get the occasional person who doesn't send anything, but they are swiftly banned from the forums, and usually someone chips in to buy the person who was stiffed another present.

Now, to be more on-topic, I've decided that should we receive the NoA2 before the end of May, then we'll marry in the last week of October and I'll probably fly out at the beginning of September. If we receive the NoA2 in June or later, then we'll marry the third or fourth week of February (depending when the school half-term is) and I'll fly out at the beginning of January. Of course, this is barring unforeseen delays - i.e. being placed in extended review, or NVC losing our petition or something.

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Filed: Timeline
Hellow fellow January filers at the CSC. There are a lot of you out there, but I don't see many of you posting in the regular January filers thread. I don't begrudge the wonderful speed at which the VSC filers are being approved - Congratulations to all of them - but it points out how different the experience is for CSC filers vs. VSC filers. While the January thread is full of great news about approvals and touches, etc. we CSCers have our own issues to deal with. For myself, I know it is difficult to empathize with a January filer who voicing impatience with a process that is so much shorter than the one I am facing - it may not be "fair" that our processing times are so different, but its also not fair to rain on their parade or dismiss the concerns of the VSC filers. There is also the relevancy - when the CSC side is talking about approvals the VSC group will be talking about interviews or weddings.

So how are you doing? Are you frustrated, concerned, or excited? Knowing the wait that sits in front of you, how will you use the next 5 months. If you think this is a valuable thread then please add to it. Regardless of CSC or VSC, I hope we can all support each other on this amazing journey.

Like I said there are a lot of January CSC filers, I have listed them below (based on I-129f sending date).

Thomas & Michelle 01-01

Cecile & Bryan 01-02

Janeth & Derek 01-02

Ten & DJ 01-03

Yuliya & Brian 01-03

Paola & Chris 01-04

Thanh & Cao 01-04

Zrinka & Eric 01-05

P & J 01-07

Shirley & Steven 01-07

Maria & Eric 01-09

S & KP&SS 01-09

Pamela & Joshua 01-11

Eliciana & Benjamin 01-11

Rachel & Alex 01-11

Bing & John 01-12

Erica & Scott 01-12

WW & MM 01-12

Stuart & Amy 01-14

jj & sh 01-15

Elena & Sergey 01-15

jen & jay 01-16

Agatha & Robert 01-17

VRP & SK 01-18

gabbie & erv 01-22

Chris & Therese 01-23

nr123 & nm123 01-23

Laura & Scott 01-23

yan & isa 01-24

199 a & o 01-24

Greivin & Courtney 01-24

Jeroen & Michelle 01-24

Olga & Blake 01-25

Lea & Ron 01-25

jennie & matthew 01-25

Paul & Joanna 01-25

Supida & Supida 01-28

Lena & Val 01-29

TS & BNR 01-29

Alexandra & Mark 01-29

Susan & Chris 01-30

Benny & Cassi 01-31

Ge & Haibo 01-31

Sapna & Dinesh 01-31

Please include us..Paulie $ Ai.. Jan 8, 2008

Timeline
I've considered making my own dress, but I am not an experienced seamstress (I've only recently managed to lay hands on my sewing machine again; haven't used it in several years) and besides, I'm not sure what style would suit.

Now, to be more on-topic, I've decided that should we receive the NoA2 before the end of May, then we'll marry in the last week of October and I'll probably fly out at the beginning of September. If we receive the NoA2 in June or later, then we'll marry the third or fourth week of February (depending when the school half-term is) and I'll fly out at the beginning of January. Of course, this is barring unforeseen delays - i.e. being placed in extended review, or NVC losing our petition or something.

Bryan has a friend who is a seamstress and she prefered to buy her dress. It's probably very time consuming and stressful to make your own dress, even though you are a good seamstress. I think what she ended up doing is that she bought her dress on ebay (cheap dress from China) and then made a few changes on it to make it "her own dress".

That Secret Santa sounds fun!

Is Alex still at the university? Waiting until January seems quite long (though some in the past had to wait longer than that) I hope you will receive NOA2 before the end of May. I don't know how long it takes between NOA2 and the interview in England, but it seems to me that if you have your NOA2 at the end of June, you might still be able to go back there early enough to marry in October.

Welcome smiley84!

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Timeline
Please include us..Paulie $ Ai.. Jan 8, 2008

Hello there, you are now officially included. Actually there have been others who have joined after I posted the list who filed during January - is that the case here or did I must mess up :P As we get closer to the time when we can expect to see some approvals I'll put together another list so that everyone is included.

The St Patricks celebration yesterday was a lot of fun, so I'm slowly recovering with a quiet morning and a dark cup of coffee. How is everyone doing? There were a number of new approvals I saw from yesterday and my projected adjudication date moved down one day = a good mood for me.

Rachel, the getting a seamstress Idea is what I'd like to do also, it would save a lot of money but it would also put someone to work. Of course it comes down to Olga's wishes, if she can find the right fabrics and seamstress. If not, we'll be buying like everyone else. I hope everyone is doing great today!

And So It Begins......

My Timeline:

15 Sep 2007 Engaged!

29 Jan 2008 NOA1

03 Jun 2008 NOA2

Timeline

doube post

Edited by BlakeandOlha

And So It Begins......

My Timeline:

15 Sep 2007 Engaged!

29 Jan 2008 NOA1

03 Jun 2008 NOA2

Bryan has a friend who is a seamstress and she prefered to buy her dress. It's probably very time consuming and stressful to make your own dress, even though you are a good seamstress. I think what she ended up doing is that she bought her dress on ebay (cheap dress from China) and then made a few changes on it to make it "her own dress".

That's a good idea! And yes...I don't really have the time or experience to make an entire dress.

Is Alex still at the university? Waiting until January seems quite long (though some in the past had to wait longer than that) I hope you will receive NOA2 before the end of May. I don't know how long it takes between NOA2 and the interview in England, but it seems to me that if you have your NOA2 at the end of June, you might still be able to go back there early enough to marry in October.

Alex is currently taking classes (or, a class) although he's not at university full time yet (that comes later, when I have a job and can support *him* :P ). When I was referring to school half-term I meant for my youngest brother and sister.

The main reason for waiting is a matter of timing and money. I'd like to give people 6 months notice for the wedding so that travel arrangements and plans can be made in plenty of time. My two tentative wedding dates, depending on the NoA2 date, are the autumn half-term (last week of October) and the spring half-term (sometime in February). I'd coincide the wedding with a school holiday so that my parents and siblings could fly over and not miss too much school. (Half-term = a week's holiday.) The other option would be to have the wedding over Christmas, but flights are likely to be more expensive then, plus my parents would probably like to spend time with my grandparents. October and February should be reasonably cheap months to fly in.

Getting the NoA2 in June would normally give me plenty of time still to make an October wedding, but it wouldn't give our guests much time, so assuming that I had my interview in late July or August I could afford to wait 5-6 months and fly out in December or January instead.

Blake - as I understand it's much cheaper to buy a dress in a store here, and having a seamstress make it for you is the expensive/luxurious option! It'd be amazing to have a dress handmade to your specifications, though!

Today's been quiet...started reading a new book (finished the other) and cleaned my bedroom/the bathroom. Also made that soup - it's pretty spicy, I think I overdid the chilli/garam masala. Still, good for the cold weather!

07/11/2006 - First met

12/27/2008 - Marriage

Timeline
Alex is currently taking classes (or, a class) although he's not at university full time yet (that comes later, when I have a job and can support *him* :P ). When I was referring to school half-term I meant for my youngest brother and sister.

Same here, he's waiting for me and my money to go back to school :P

The main reason for waiting is a matter of timing and money. I'd like to give people 6 months notice for the wedding so that travel arrangements and plans can be made in plenty of time. My two tentative wedding dates, depending on the NoA2 date, are the autumn half-term (last week of October) and the spring half-term (sometime in February). I'd coincide the wedding with a school holiday so that my parents and siblings could fly over and not miss too much school. (Half-term = a week's holiday.) The other option would be to have the wedding over Christmas, but flights are likely to be more expensive then, plus my parents would probably like to spend time with my grandparents. October and February should be reasonably cheap months to fly in.

I just spent 3 hours talking with Bryan online, and we talked about the wedding. First, what we wanted to do was go to the court house when I arrive (well, sometime during the first month), go to a restaurant with friends to celebrate it, and then, next Spring, we would have a more formal ceremony. That formal ceremony would not have to be a big one, with awesome dinner and everything, but it would still be a nice wedding ceremony, and that way we would have more time to prepare it and to give more time to people to make all the arrangements. That was the original idea.

I've thought about it a lot, and I'm not really comfortable with that idea anymore. Maybe we're going to have so many things to deal with that in the end we won't have time to think of that ceremony and we won't do it. You know how it's like sometimes, you plan things and then the longer you wait, the harder it is to take care of things.

And the second reason is that it sounds kind of strange to have two wedding dates. He says the second one (the formal one) will be our real wedding. But we will already be married. As soon as I'm going to become Mrs. Young, I will feel like I am his wife. It just sounds strange. He also said that it can be considered as if we renew our vows but usually when people renew their vows, that's not 6 months after the wedding!

So I'm all confused. I don't know what to do or what to think anymore. I'd rather have everything at once: have our nice formal ceremony when I first get there. But of course, that will be harder to plan, and that means some people might not be able to come. And it all depends when we're approved. We can't plan the same thing if it's the summer or the winter!

I don't know... Maybe I should stop thinking about it for a while. Maybe it would be good to know what other people think/plan to do.

For everybody reading this topic: What are you planning for your wedding, guys?

Edited by Cecile and Bryan

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Same here, he's waiting for me and my money to go back to school :P

:lol: Glad to know I'm not the only one!

I just spent 3 hours talking with Bryan online, and we talked about the wedding. First, what we wanted to do was go to the court house when I arrive (well, sometime during the first month), go to a restaurant with friends to celebrate it, and then, next Spring, we would have a more formal ceremony. That formal ceremony would not have to be a big one, with awesome dinner and everything, but it would still be a nice wedding ceremony, and that way we would have more time to prepare it and to give more time to people to make all the arrangements. That was the original idea.

I've thought about it a lot, and I'm not really comfortable with that idea anymore. Maybe we're going to have so many things to deal with that in the end we won't have time to think of that ceremony and we won't do it. You know how it's like sometimes, you plan things and then the longer you wait, the harder it is to take care of things.

And the second reason is that it sounds kind of strange to have two wedding dates. He says the second one (the formal one) will be our real wedding. But we will already be married. As soon as I'm going to become Mrs. Young, I will feel like I am his wife. It just sounds strange. He also said that it can be considered as if we renew our vows but usually when people renew their vows, that's not 6 months after the wedding!

So I'm all confused. I don't know what to do or what to think anymore. I'd rather have everything at once: have our nice formal ceremony when I first get there. But of course, that will be harder to plan, and that means some people might not be able to come. And it all depends when we're approved. We can't plan the same thing if it's the summer or the winter!

I don't know... Maybe I should stop thinking about it for a while. Maybe it would be good to know what other people think/plan to do.

Well, if it helps, I completely agree with the bolded statements! My mother feels the same way, which is why she and my dad are going to do their best to attend my wedding, no matter how small or cheap it is! But yes, it is harder to plan, hence me doing my best to give six months' notice. If I have to delay my entry into the states so be it; after some deliberation, I've decided I'd rather do this than hurry to be in the US and thus cause everyone to miss the legal ceremony.

07/11/2006 - First met

12/27/2008 - Marriage

Well, if it helps, I completely agree with the bolded statements! My mother feels the same way, which is why she and my dad are going to do their best to attend my wedding, no matter how small or cheap it is! But yes, it is harder to plan, hence me doing my best to give six months' notice. If I have to delay my entry into the states so be it; after some deliberation, I've decided I'd rather do this than hurry to be in the US and thus cause everyone to miss the legal ceremony.

Darren and I will go to the courthouse the week he arrives, and have a small ceremony later for family and friends. Our issue came down to money...we're paying for the wedding ourselves, and we need to save enough money to pay for everything, we don't want to go into debt for a wedding...

Even if the celebratory ceremony isn't our actual anniversiary (which it very well may be), I won't mind. The celebration is more for our friends and family, and the legal is for us...

Dawn

Our journey to be together (work in progress)

March 2007 - Met online

1/28/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC

5/13/08 - Visa in hand!!!

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

7/20/08 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

11/18/08 - AOS approved!!!

11/25/08 - Received welcome letter...and Green Card!!!

12/21/08 - ceremonial wedding

10/9/10 - Sent I-751 and started the fresh hell that is ROC

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

10/29/10 - received appointment for Biometrics

11/22/10 - Biometrics appointment

Currently: Living blissfully with my Essex lad...

Everyone will have their own way of doing things! I didn't mean to imply that those who are separating the legal side and the ceremony are in any way wrong. Just that I, personally, would prefer to do it all (cheaply!) at once. :)

07/11/2006 - First met

12/27/2008 - Marriage

Timeline
Everyone will have their own way of doing things! I didn't mean to imply that those who are separating the legal side and the ceremony are in any way wrong. Just that I, personally, would prefer to do it all (cheaply!) at once. :)

And that's what I would prefer to do too.

Financially speaking, it doesn't matter if we do everything at once or if we have the ceremony next Spring: I doubt I'll be able to work until next Spring, he will be the only one with an income, therefore we will not have more money in a year than in 6 months.

So yes, the only problem is the fact that it will be easier to prepare and people will be able to make plans to travel. Then yes, it makes sense to wait. I don't think I will want to wait to enter in the USA once I get my visa, like you, Rachel, are planning to do. I find it awesome that you are willing to wait in order to make it easier for everybody. I just don't want to do it.

Oh well, we still have several months to plan everything.

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Timeline

The burden of the forward looking arrangements has fallen squarely on my shoulders - location and the 8 hour time difference have certainly seen to that. There is a certain poetic justice in all this I guess because when I was married for the first time 25 years ago, all I was really responsible for was showing up (In some ways I wish I hadn't been so responsible back then :P ).

Well, now I'm trying to plan everything. With her six year old son coming I've already had to get him pre-registerd for kindergarten, and now I'm looking for churches that are nice, but can be a little flexible on timing. Then there's guests, reception site, (no honeymoon right away, because of school for her son), it seems to go on and on. I told Olga I will not send any Bridal magazines to her because my life is complicated enough :lol: Her job is to find or have made her dress - and to get all her paperwork together for the interview. I just worry about all the rest. It's going to be a small ceremony - just close friends (3-4) and Family, thankfully. Oooh la la!

And So It Begins......

My Timeline:

15 Sep 2007 Engaged!

29 Jan 2008 NOA1

03 Jun 2008 NOA2

Rick is also the one looking for location and etc. but we still discuss everything. I want it outdoors and I won't even mind if it will be in his mother's backyard but he wants another place. So i suggested parks, in the hope that parks won't be as expensive as commercial wedding locations. He has checked several parks in NC which allows weddings and the price are reasonable. :yes:

I just want a very simple and small ceremony without the fuzz. He asked me how many bridesmaids i'd want, I told him I don't want any, i also don't want flower girls etc. And I told him, I will have my dress made here since it will be cheaper here compared to buying there... as in way way way cheaper. I could chose a 10,000USD design and have it made here for 200-500USD.... I don't even want to wear anything that will cost more than 300USD, if I could find a beautiful gown for 100USD or less why not, it's not really the price that would dictate the beauty of the dress but the one carrying it .. of course i won't mind wearing something really expensive but only if it will be a gift, even then i might still be saying "Could I have this converted to cash instead?" ;)... I'm a real cheapskate but I would like to think I am just very practical.

Our wedding is set on October 3 so hopefully we could get our visa way before then.... I still want the kids to be there before classes starts which would be august. If we get there by August, we would still be waiting 2 months before the wedding. We don't plan on having a court wedding beforehand coz it will be an added expense on us besides I do want us to spend that two months getting re-marriage counseling before the wedding proper.

ROC

still waiting for GC replacement

N-400

04/23/2012...... N-400 packet sent to Lewisville, TX via USPS express mail

04/24/2012...... N-400 delivered signed for by J. Arthur; priority date according to NOA1

04/27/2012...... Check cashed

04/30/2012...... Received NOA 1 dated April 26, 2012

06/01/2012...... Received notice for biometrics dated May 29, 2012

06/20/2012...... Biometrics schedule (early bio June 05, 2012)

06/18/2012...... Email notification, N400 placed in line for interview

06/29/2012...... Email notification, N400 scheduled for interview

07/05/2012...... Interview Letter Received

08/07/2012...... Interview (PASSED)

Link to: Full timeline

God is in CONTROL. His time is always better than mine: never too early yet never late, always the perfect time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.