BlakeandOlha

January Filers at the CSC - How are you doing?

4,270 posts in this topic

good going cali USICS! guys i hav a mixup situation in hand. we had asked for our visa papers to be sent to Indian embassy by the NVC, however they sent it to Singapore seeing my last resident address. Though I am willing to take uo my interview there, I am not sure whether is its an advantage or disadvantage. I am also not sure of what documents will I need. Actually I am in India right now for a vacation and managed to collect police cleaance from passport office, medical examination (sealed though I do not know if they approve in Singapore), TD and MMR vaccinations (vericilla I had chickenpox before). I intend to colect the actual police certificate from the Singapore Indian embassy.

Any of you hav any suggestions? comments?

btw my fiance is not sure of how to arrange the wedding in the US. shes in CA and wants to know what should be done to get marriage certificate and begin the AOS process. I dearly need a EAD on entry, is JFK trustworthy? cos if i land there, I will have to travel over to the otherside of the continent again.

Cheers!

I don't know what to tell you about the embassy. I would try asking in the regional board about it.

For the AOS process, have her check out the guide here...it's really good, just like everything on VJ. :) For the marriage license, it differs by state. She can call the county clerk and ask about it or look up the california county clerk on-line...or I could just link it for you :) Here are the requirements in California. It looks like in California you are both required to show up in person.

Edited by aravis227

See my timeline for my K-1 and AOS/EAD/AP details.

ROC

April 1, 2011-Packet sent, back to the grind!

April 2, 2011-USPS confirms delivery to CSC

April 18, 2011-Received biometrics letter

May 5, 2011-Biometrics appointment, quick and easy

June 16, 2011-Card production ordered!

June 24, 2011-Card received

CRW_7744web-1-1.jpg

My wonderful little family: Dennis, Andrea, and Malcolm

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btw my fiance is not sure of how to arrange the wedding in the US. shes in CA and wants to know what should be done to get marriage certificate and begin the AOS process. I dearly need a EAD on entry, is JFK trustworthy? cos if i land there, I will have to travel over to the otherside of the continent again.

Cheers!

From everything I've heard, there is NO guarantee no matter where you enter. JFK sometimes gives them and sometimes doesn't...sometimes other POEs give them and other times they don't. You just have to get lucky that day. :wacko:

ROC

CRW_7744web-1-1.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
good going cali USICS! guys i hav a mixup situation in hand. we had asked for our visa papers to be sent to Indian embassy by the NVC, however they sent it to Singapore seeing my last resident address. Though I am willing to take uo my interview there, I am not sure whether is its an advantage or disadvantage. I am also not sure of what documents will I need. Actually I am in India right now for a vacation and managed to collect police cleaance from passport office, medical examination (sealed though I do not know if they approve in Singapore), TD and MMR vaccinations (vericilla I had chickenpox before). I intend to colect the actual police certificate from the Singapore Indian embassy.

Any of you hav any suggestions? comments?

Cheers!

Here's what I understand.....

First of all look at the guides, as you've been advised, however, here are some practical answers....

Have your fiancee look up the California state website - she will find a whole section on where to go to get a license to get married and what the requirements are. Since she will assume your name (I'm guessing) the first thing you should do upon arrival is go to the local social security administration office with your passport (and visa) and apply for a social security card. It takes a couple weeks to receive your card (this is California remember). Your fiancee should check the marriage license requirements for the state - some states require a social security number to get the marriage license, some do not. Once you get the license you can wed (usually they make you wait a day after getting the license). You can be wed at the county courthouse if you do not want a religious wedding - regardless, your now wife should complete a name change form after the service to assume your last name legally (this is certainly provided at the courthouse, and should be provided by whomever is legally able to marry you). Congrats, now your man and wife. Once you are wed, you've met the conditions of the K-1 visa and have to have your status adjusted and get your temporary green card. It is this green card which allows you to legally work in the US.

Here's to answer your related question about the POE and the stamp.....

JKF is the only point of entry that I've heard will give you a temporary work authorization stamp, and then it is not guaranteed. Now this is the important thing to remember about this stamp---it is connected with your entry into the US under the K-1 visa and WILL EXPIRE AFTER 90 DAYS OF ENTRY. If you go and get a job immediately upon entering the US you will not be able to be legally working for the time between the expiration of the initial 90 days and your receipt of the temporary green card.

It is for this reason that many employers are hesitant to even hire someone with a temporary work authorization attached to a K-1, because in all liklihood that person will go from legal to illegal and will not longer be able to work there only three months after starting. I know you are an IT professional which probably means that your chances are slimmer of being hired under this temporary authorization.

If working is critical then I suggest you get hitched immediately upon arrival :thumbs: and apply for AOS and your EAD right away (it'll cost you $1,000 to do this). Then try and find temporary job assignments until the temporary authorization runs out or your EAD (Temporary Green Card) arrives. Temping is a real good option for you because it is a good way to begin to make contacts within companies - and there are a number of firms that specialize in temping IT professionals. Best of luck to you and your bride to be!!! :thumbs:

And So It Begins......

My Timeline:

15 Sep 2007 Engaged!

25 Jan 2008 Sent I-129F to CSC

28 Jan 2008 I-129F receipted at CSC

29 Jan 2008 NOA1

30 Jan 2008 Touched - filing box here we come....

05 Feb 2008 Hard Copy NOA1 Received in Mail

03 Jun 2008 NOA2

10 Sep 2008 Interview 9:30

16 Jan 2009 Fly back to the USA

?? ??? 2009 Wedding Bells are Ringing

Congratulations to you and Cassi, Benny! :dance:

Cheers!

I can't really help with the rest, but the marriage certificate will need to be picked up in person - recommended a month or so in advance. I believe it is then valid for three months (but you have to get married within three months anyway). I understand that it's also better if you can both go in person to get the marriage certificate, although I don't believe it's a requirement. This is all just what I understand from reading websites.

where do we have to go inorder to get marriage certificate? where should we register?

According to this the requirements are:

Both parties must appear in person and bring valid picture identification to the County Clerk’s Office to apply for a marriage license in California. Valid picture identification is one that contains a photograph, date of birth, and an issue and expiration date, such as a state issued identification card, drivers license, passport, military identification, etc. Some counties may also require a copy of your birth certificate.

If you have been married before, you will need to know the specific date your last marriage ended, and how it ended (Death, Dissolution, Divorce or Nullity). Some counties may require a copy of the final judgment if your previous marriage ended by dissolution or nullity.

Marriage licenses are valid for 90 days from the date of issuance. If you do not get married within 90 days, the license will no longer be valid. You must purchase a new license.

So it looks like you DO have to both be present in order to obtain the certificate.

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Well it's the last day at work for the old job - which means it's off to the beer hall for me. I'm pulling a sunnybear tonight so I probably won't be checking in again until late tomorrow.

Good luck everyone when the CSC closes in the next two hours, I hope we'll see a bunch of approvals coming down the pipe.

My story tonight:

5:00 :dance: 6:00 :dance: 7:00 :dance: 8:00 :dance: 9:00 :blink: 10:00 B) 11:00 :innocent:

Night all!

And So It Begins......

My Timeline:

15 Sep 2007 Engaged!

25 Jan 2008 Sent I-129F to CSC

28 Jan 2008 I-129F receipted at CSC

29 Jan 2008 NOA1

30 Jan 2008 Touched - filing box here we come....

05 Feb 2008 Hard Copy NOA1 Received in Mail

03 Jun 2008 NOA2

10 Sep 2008 Interview 9:30

16 Jan 2009 Fly back to the USA

?? ??? 2009 Wedding Bells are Ringing

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Starting to lose patience again :wacko:

January 19, 2008 sent I129f to CSC

January 24, 2008 NOA1

June 3, 2008 TOUCH!!!

June 3, 2008 NOA2!!!!!

June 9, 2008 NVC received

June 10, 2008 mailed to Vancouver!!!

June 24, 2008 Packet 3 received!!!

July 3, 2008 Faxed Packet 3 to Vancouver

July 11, 2008 Medical

July 15, 2008 Packet 4 received(interview notice)

August 27, 2008 1pm INTERVIEW!!!!! APPROVED!!!!

September 14, 2008 POE Pembina, North Dakota YAY!!!!

November 1, 2008 Wedding!!!

AOS, EAD, AP

January 10, 2009 AOS, EAD, AP sent to Chicago lockbox

January 12, 2009 Received

January 22, 2009 NOA1 AOS, EAD, AP

January 30, 2009 AOS transfered to CSC

March 16, 2009 AP touch

March 17, 2009 Biometrics

March 17, 2009 EAD card production ordered

March 17, 2009 AOS touch

March 18, 2009 AP received

March 25, 2009 EAD received (good for one year)

April 21, 2009 Email stating AOS approved!!!!!!

April 25, 2009 Card received

I'm pulling a sunnybear tonight

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

have fun!

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

Timeline
Well it's the last day at work for the old job - which means it's off to the beer hall for me. I'm pulling a sunnybear tonight so I probably won't be checking in again until late tomorrow.

Good luck everyone when the CSC closes in the next two hours, I hope we'll see a bunch of approvals coming down the pipe.

My story tonight:

5:00 :dance: 6:00 :dance: 7:00 :dance: 8:00 :dance: 9:00 :blink: 10:00 B) 11:00 :innocent:

Night all!

:lol: Have fun Blake!

January 24, 2008 NOA1

June 3, 2008 TOUCH!!!

June 3, 2008 NOA2!!!!!

July 11, 2008 Medical

AOS, EAD, AP

March 16, 2009 AP touch

March 17, 2009 AOS touch

*hugs* It'll be ok! It's a normal weekend again, so they'll probably continue working through it! Plus, with the USCIS electronic approval apparently working again...people will know right away, so we won't have to wait until the end of next week to see this weeks numbers moving up. We'll probably see several approvals over the weekend. :thumbs:

ROC

CRW_7744web-1-1.jpg

Timeline

*hugs* It'll be ok! It's a normal weekend again, so they'll probably continue working through it! Plus, with the USCIS electronic approval apparently working again...people will know right away, so we won't have to wait until the end of next week to see this weeks numbers moving up. We'll probably see several approvals over the weekend. :thumbs:

Thanks Andrea! I'll try and stay busy this weekend and not think about it(yeah right). Looks like it could be getting close for you too! :D

January 24, 2008 NOA1

June 3, 2008 TOUCH!!!

June 3, 2008 NOA2!!!!!

July 11, 2008 Medical

AOS, EAD, AP

March 16, 2009 AP touch

March 17, 2009 AOS touch

Thanks Andrea! I'll try and stay busy this weekend and not think about it(yeah right). Looks like it could be getting close for you too! :D

I hope so! I have my fingers crossed...I'm pushing up near the four month mark, so I'm in range for an early approval.

ROC

CRW_7744web-1-1.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
Welcome DramaKingandQueen! :D

Thanks Alex & Rachel! What a vibrant and dynamic community you guys have here!

:dance:

3 years together since late 2004

July 07 - her OPT expired

Sept 07 - she left US to go back to Indonesia

Oct 07 - he visited Indo

Dec -Jan 08 - he visited Indo for the 2nd time

21 Jan 08 - sent i-129f package to CSC

24 Jan 08 - received NOA1

5 Jun 08 - "On June 5, 2008, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I129F PETITION FOR FIANCE(E)."

12 Jun 08 - Interview for business visa (a company that I work for invited me to visit them for a big kick-off meeting)

16 Jun 08 - got my business visa (5 years)

3 Jul 08 - arrived in California with business visa

28 July 08 - left California

currently waiting anxiously for packet 3

Timeline

I hope so! I have my fingers crossed...I'm pushing up near the four month mark, so I'm in range for an early approval.

I think we're at 130 days now. How did you do that timeline on your profile?

January 24, 2008 NOA1

June 3, 2008 TOUCH!!!

June 3, 2008 NOA2!!!!!

July 11, 2008 Medical

AOS, EAD, AP

March 16, 2009 AP touch

March 17, 2009 AOS touch

I just typed it up manually. Do you know how to edit your signature?

ROC

CRW_7744web-1-1.jpg

Timeline

I just typed it up manually. Do you know how to edit your signature?

No I'm soooooo low tech!

January 24, 2008 NOA1

June 3, 2008 TOUCH!!!

June 3, 2008 NOA2!!!!!

July 11, 2008 Medical

AOS, EAD, AP

March 16, 2009 AP touch

March 17, 2009 AOS touch

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.