Army_Wife

US Military Spouses

700 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
There does not seem to be a ton of military families here, but I will check in regardless.

My name is Jessica and I am a Marine. My husband and I met in 2007 when I took a personal trip to Italy for family reasons.

So far, the only advantage that we have had is the free ise of an immigration lawyer. She seems very competent and I am optimistic. So many people tell me that our Visa app. should take less time because I am military, but I don't think that is the case! I just sent my 130 and it has not been "touched" yet. We will see!

Well request for an expedite and they'll let you know within 5 days if they accept it or not. Might as well is what I figured :)

3 months instead of 15 months...

I-130 Sent - 12/10/2008

I-130 NOA1 - 12/16/2008

**Found VisaJourney.com and found out you can apply for expedite**

Request for expedite - 01/30/2009

I-130 Approved - 01/30/2009

NVC received - 02/05/2009

Request for expedite - 02/06/2009

Expedite approved - 02/20/2009

Case completed at NVC - 02/20/2009

Consulate received - 02/26/2009

Interview date - 03/13/2009

Visa received - 03/20/09

US entry - 04/13/2009

Timeline
We tried that and we rung the military helpline and they said we weren't eligable, even though Tom is technicaly 'deployed'. We thought we weren't anyway but it doesn't hurt to try.

Did you just call and ask them or did you actually file for an expedite either through mail or via fax? Just wondering...

He called the number, he gave them his situation and asked if he was eligable for a expedite. They told him no.

Just so you know I called USCIS to check on the status of our case and the immigration officer I talked to told me they didn't accept expedites even if someone's in the military and deployed. My husband called from Iraq 15 minutes later and turns out our case was already at NVC!

So don't take that no too seriously. We didn't even send a letter from his CO or anything. Just a copy of his orders and his military ID. The expedite apparently got approved the same day as did our I-130! :dance:

I-130 Sent - 12/10/2008

I-130 NOA1 - 12/16/2008

Visa received - 03/20/09

US entry - 04/13/2009

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malta
Timeline

hello all military spouses.... we re still waiting for our receipt number and its been nearly a month since USCIS received our application form.... and now i just called the uscis military helpline so that they can give me the receipt number to track our case but they said it can only be given to the petitioner... that is my husband... right now hes deployed on a ship and its a bit impossible for him to call....i have no idea why they cant give me the receipt number since im the wife and the beneficiary too.... any help? im getting really frustrated!! :crying:

N400 sent : 2012-10-27

Check Cashed : 2012-11-05

Bio Appointment : 2012-11-23

Walk-In Biometrics : 2012-11-14

Interview Appointment : 2013-04-12

Approved : 2013-04-12

Oath Ceremony : 2013-06-28

as1cCET0g410010MjA0MDk1c3wwMTMxbHxTaW5jZ

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
We tried that and we rung the military helpline and they said we weren't eligable, even though Tom is technicaly 'deployed'. We thought we weren't anyway but it doesn't hurt to try.

Did you just call and ask them or did you actually file for an expedite either through mail or via fax? Just wondering...

He called the number, he gave them his situation and asked if he was eligable for a expedite. They told him no.

Just so you know I called USCIS to check on the status of our case and the immigration officer I talked to told me they didn't accept expedites even if someone's in the military and deployed. My husband called from Iraq 15 minutes later and turns out our case was already at NVC!

So don't take that no too seriously. We didn't even send a letter from his CO or anything. Just a copy of his orders and his military ID. The expedite apparently got approved the same day as did our I-130! :dance:

I did take the no seriously as I had an idea we wouldn't be eligable and it turns out we weren't. Congrats on yours though.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi, Good day.

I am a K1 visa holder and on the 27th of this month I will be going to US, my fiance is still in Iraq and will be in the US for our wedding this March 4, his commander gave him 1 week vacation,he will be staying in Iraq until late August or early September. Then after that his new assignment for 18 months is in Germany. We want to apply AOS(adjustment of Status) ASAP,and what are the documents needed together with the AOS forms?

Can I go with him in Germany?Thank you .

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hi, Good day.

I am a K1 visa holder and on the 27th of this month I will be going to US, my fiance is still in Iraq and will be in the US for our wedding this March 4, his commander gave him 1 week vacation,he will be staying in Iraq until late August or early September. Then after that his new assignment for 18 months is in Germany. We want to apply AOS(adjustment of Status) ASAP,and what are the documents needed together with the AOS forms?

Can I go with him in Germany?Thank you .

It depends on whether his tour will allow dependants to accompany. It should say on his orders. I know on Tom's Air Force orders to Bahrain (a 1 year tour) he wasn't allowed to bring dependants.

hello all military spouses.... we re still waiting for our receipt number and its been nearly a month since USCIS received our application form.... and now i just called the uscis military helpline so that they can give me the receipt number to track our case but they said it can only be given to the petitioner... that is my husband... right now hes deployed on a ship and its a bit impossible for him to call....i have no idea why they cant give me the receipt number since im the wife and the beneficiary too.... any help? im getting really frustrated!! :crying:

Hi,

After giving the immigration red tape a rest for a little bit, we are back with part II of the process (AOS) and I noticed this thread is still alive! Big hug to everyone on here that is still waiting for a visa and/or has a partner that is deployed. I know it is tough and hope you can all see eachother again soon.

Wifey,

If I were you, I would try calling a few times. I am not sure why they will not give you that info (maybe they are legally forbidden to do so to anyone but the petitioner for privacy issues?) but maybe if you stress your husband is unable to contact them due to deployment and if you stumble across a nicer person, you might get lucky.

Did your husband put the US address of a family member on the application, considering his deployment?

Since he is deployed, you have a very good chance of getting your case expedited. See the earlier posts of this thread for info on this. However, you would of course first need the receipt number so that they can find the application.

Website US Department of State, Consular Affairs Bureau: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1339.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malta
Timeline

Hi,

After giving the immigration red tape a rest for a little bit, we are back with part II of the process (AOS) and I noticed this thread is still alive! Big hug to everyone on here that is still waiting for a visa and/or has a partner that is deployed. I know it is tough and hope you can all see eachother again soon.

Wifey,

If I were you, I would try calling a few times. I am not sure why they will not give you that info (maybe they are legally forbidden to do so to anyone but the petitioner for privacy issues?) but maybe if you stress your husband is unable to contact them due to deployment and if you stumble across a nicer person, you might get lucky.

Did your husband put the US address of a family member on the application, considering his deployment?

Since he is deployed, you have a very good chance of getting your case expedited. See the earlier posts of this thread for info on this. However, you would of course first need the receipt number so that they can find the application.

Hi Catt,

thanks for your reply.... i did emphasize that he cant call but they told me its one of the policies that they can only give the receipt number to the petitioner only.... so i had to give up... i also asked for an email addy but the officer told me that there is no email address like that....i also want to ask about the expedite.... one has to give a reason why the case shall be expedited.... what are the reasons that you all gave for your case to bexpedited in your letters? any help please?

Hi,

Wifey,

Hi Catt,

thanks for your reply.... i did emphasize that he cant call but they told me its one of the policies that they can only give the receipt number to the petitioner only.... so i had to give up... i also asked for an email addy but the officer told me that there is no email address like that....i also want to ask about the expedite.... one has to give a reason why the case shall be expedited.... what are the reasons that you all gave for your case to bexpedited in your letters? any help please?

oh and no.... we listed only his APO address.... no family to help....

N400 sent : 2012-10-27

Check Cashed : 2012-11-05

Bio Appointment : 2012-11-23

Walk-In Biometrics : 2012-11-14

Interview Appointment : 2013-04-12

Approved : 2013-04-12

Oath Ceremony : 2013-06-28

as1cCET0g410010MjA0MDk1c3wwMTMxbHxTaW5jZ

Hi His Wifey,

I do not know how it works when you use an APO address, especially with your husband being on a ship. I assume it means it just takes longer for CIS correspondence to reach your husband?

Can your husband send emails? Because if he really doesn't receive the NOA1 soon (which contains the receipt number) then he could try emailing his Congressman/one of his US Senators (all the info is available online). Some are very helpful, some are not. They might be able to intervene and make inquiries, if CIS does not want to give you the info.

They might at the same time also help you with the expedite. Joggie's story is an illustration that their intervention is in itself not necessary to get your case expedited, although it can make it easier.

Reason for your expedite is DOD National Interest Situation. Again, reread the earlier posts of this thread and also check out another earlier thread (of spring 2008) about expedites (I think it was also in the IR1/CR1 Forum). It should contain all the info you need. If you want more help (e.g. with the expedite letter), then please let us know.

Website US Department of State, Consular Affairs Bureau: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1339.html

Timeline

I did take the no seriously as I had an idea we wouldn't be eligable and it turns out we weren't. Congrats on yours though.

So he's not in the military?

I-130 Sent - 12/10/2008

I-130 NOA1 - 12/16/2008

Visa received - 03/20/09

US entry - 04/13/2009

Timeline

It's just policy to protect the individual that's why they can't tell you. They told me the same thing so I called back and pretended to be my husband :lol:

She kept asking me all kinds of security questions and then finally accepted I was him but towards the end of our call she called me mam. Too funny!

Anyways have someone call for you and be prepared to give name and DOB of beneficiary and petitioner. They'll ask why you're calling and put you through to a immigration officer.

In our fax to USCIS we just put he was in the military and deployed and then send in a copy of his orders, his military ID and our wedding certificate and that did it! We had our I-130 approved and forwarded to the NVC the next day. Good luck! :thumbs:

I-130 Sent - 12/10/2008

I-130 NOA1 - 12/16/2008

Visa received - 03/20/09

US entry - 04/13/2009

Timeline
<snip>

id like to add: that my case was also expedited on the NVC stage so i end up paying the IV fee in USEM manila during my interview..

Okay we're getting our case expedited with NVC too and they just told me I wouldn't have to send them any documents or pay the fee bills because they would just forward our case right away to the US Embassy here in Denmark. Does that sound right? Did you send anything to NVC?

I-130 Sent - 12/10/2008

I-130 NOA1 - 12/16/2008

Visa received - 03/20/09

US entry - 04/13/2009

<snip>

id like to add: that my case was also expedited on the NVC stage so i end up paying the IV fee in USEM manila during my interview..

Okay we're getting our case expedited with NVC too and they just told me I wouldn't have to send them any documents or pay the fee bills because they would just forward our case right away to the US Embassy here in Denmark. Does that sound right? Did you send anything to NVC?

yes thats it, you dont have to send or pay at NVC you can submit everything at your embassy like I-864, DS-230 and pay IV fee there during your interview..

im so happy that things are going fast for you :):dance:

Timeline
<snip>

yes thats it, you dont have to send or pay at NVC you can submit everything at your embassy like I-864, DS-230 and pay IV fee there during your interview..

im so happy that things are going fast for you :):dance:

Not even the DS-3032? I'm so impressed! :dance:

I-130 Sent - 12/10/2008

I-130 NOA1 - 12/16/2008

Visa received - 03/20/09

US entry - 04/13/2009

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.