Army_Wife

US Military Spouses

700 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi Matt85,

I just wanted to tell you in fact that you are incorrect. When the soldiers are overseas fighting in a war or wven at home going through training they are already under high stress levels. Their minds must be focused at all times because that makes the difference between life and death for them and their fellow soldiers in many situations.

A soldier having to worry about when he will see his or her spouse and about matters related to immigration IS a matter of DOD interest because they need them functioning and their higest levels.

At the end of the day it's NOT about 'the visa'....it's about getting their spouse at home as soon as possible so they can feel more at ease.

I imagine if you are not, and have never been in a military relationship it might be difficult to grasp. It's much easier to deal with a prolonged separation if your spouse is doing desk work all day than knowing they are getting shot at and blown up on a regular basis.

I'm not going to speak any more on the matter as it is apparently very touchy. I think our time would be better spent helping, encouraging and assisting each other in our quest to be with our loved ones regardless of the way we choose to do it.

NATURALIZATION
07-03-2013: Eligible to file
07-22-2013: Application sent (Delivered: 07-24-13)
08-05-2013: NOA1 received (Priority date: 07-24-13, Check cashed: 07-29-13)
08-22-2013: Biometrics (Received: 08-06-13, Walk-in: 08-08-13)
09-03-2013: Inline for interview (Yellow letter received: 10-23-13)
11-04-2013: Interview scheduled (Received: 11-09-13)
12-12-2013: Interview (Approved)
01-03-2014: Oath ceremony, passport application and passport received

DONE!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi Matt85,

I just wanted to tell you in fact that you are incorrect. When the soldiers are overseas fighting in a war or wven at home going through training they are already under high stress levels. Their minds must be focused at all times because that makes the difference between life and death for them and their fellow soldiers in many situations.

A soldier having to worry about when he will see his or her spouse and about matters related to immigration IS a matter of DOD interest because they need them functioning and their higest levels.

At the end of the day it's NOT about 'the visa'....it's about getting their spouse at home as soon as possible so they can feel more at ease.

I imagine if you are not, and have never been in a military relationship it might be difficult to grasp. It's much easier to deal with a prolonged separation if your spouse is doing desk work all day than knowing they are getting shot at and blown up on a regular basis.

I'm not going to speak any more on the matter as it is apparently very touchy. I think our time would be better spent helping, encouraging and assisting each other in our quest to be with our loved ones regardless of the way we choose to do it.

I totally agree with you jamericanlove. My husband is also in the military.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
Exactly, Bex! Expedites due to DOD National Interest are indeed possible for military spouses, regardless of deployment orders.

Maybe some people do not like such expedites being filed, but I say screw that.

Wow...

A military member trying to petition his spouse is in absolutely no way a DoD National Interest.

The main purpose of a military expedite is to allow a couple to establish residence before the military member deploys.

I find it very hard to believe that a Commander would sign off on a petition to expedite a spousal visa as a National Interest.

Your NVC process seemed superfast, matt

ling

National Interest is and has proven to be in several recent cases a very serious and openly accepted reason for an expedite. Jamaican Love has championed the reasons for this above. Matt85 I think I have read previously that you successfully achieved a military expedite? We are a little protective here in the military spouses thread as several of the group have had unsavory experiences with people who don't feel that those in the military deserve to be treated any differently. Its a public community and people are entitled to their opinions we just like to keep our little corner protected I guess.

I hope that you are able to accept our word for it. Several cases here have been approved with National Interest as a key aspect of the expedite application...maybe not the only aspect but it has definitely played its part. I personally think its a step in the right direction, whatever we can do to make the lives easier for the brave men and women that keep us safe the better.

I hope everyones having a good day!

Bex xxx

I-129F

12.03.08 ~ NOA1

12.05.08 ~ NOA2

06.06.08 ~ Packet 3

18.06.08 ~ Packet 4

25.06.08 ~ Medical

11.07.08 ~ Interview - Approved!

22.07.08 ~ POE Atlanta

K1 = 3months, 29days

AOS

07.11.08 ~ NOA 1 - AOS, EAD, AP

24.11.08 ~ Transferred to CSC

28.11.08 ~ Biometrics

31.12.08 ~ EAD/AP Approved :)

23.03.09 ~ RFE

06.04.09 ~ RFE response delivered to CSC

22.04.09 ~ Card production ordered

01.05.09 ~ Conditional GC arrived in the mail

Permanent Residence = 5months, 15days

Hi Matt85,

I'm sorry, but a military member being with his/her loved one is not vital to our nation's security. Any claim as such is completely outrageous.

Let's be clear, military expedites for deployment reasons are completely valid.

But now we are talking about just a general expedite for a military member for the reason of "National Interest".

I'm curious how these commanders, who are signing off on these "military" expedites, are wording these papers to reflect that reuniting loved ones is a national interest.

For perspective, say 100 military people apply for an expedite. Lets say 50 are deploying, and 50 are just trying to get one because they are military members. If any of those that are not deploying get expedited faster, it is a great disservice to those who are going to be deploying into Iraq/Afghanistan. This much should be obvious, right?

National interest entails accounting for our nuclear stockpiles, helping Americans affected by natural distasters, etc. Things of that scale. Not speeding up immigration because a soldier misses his loved one. No other way to spin it.

Matt

21FUNNY.gif

Hi Matt85,

I'm sorry, but a military member being with his/her loved one is not vital to our nation's security. Any claim as such is completely outrageous.

But now we are talking about just a general expedite for a military member for the reason of "National Interest".

I'm curious how these commanders, who are signing off on these "military" expedites, are wording these papers to reflect that reuniting loved ones is a national interest.

For perspective, say 100 military people apply for an expedite. Lets say 50 are deploying, and 50 are just trying to get one because they are military members. If any of those that are not deploying get expedited faster, it is a great disservice to those who are going to be deploying into Iraq/Afghanistan. This much should be obvious, right?

National interest entails accounting for our nuclear stockpiles, helping Americans affected by natural distasters, etc. Things of that scale. Not speeding up immigration because a soldier misses his loved one. No other way to spin it.

Matt

hey we dont need someone like you in our thread,, we need good vibes here and support!!!!

if you are not in the military then back off!!!

Hi Matt85,

Matt

Dear All,

Firstly Hello, I have not seen this thread before and wanted to introduce myself as a wife of an active duty US soldier (I do't like Military Spouse as a term - It sounds like I married the military and not my husband, although I realise that this effectively means I married the military!!! :unsure: )

Matt,

I can appreciate your point but it is not one that I can agree with. There are a few issues that as a none military spouse you will probably not be aware of and I thought I might bring them to your attention in the interest of discussion:

1. Military members are often away on field training with no access to phone, email or regular mail. The length of time can vary from a week to several weeks. And you can bet that this training will happen several times a year generally when you are waiting for an all important notice or packet. Personally, my husband and I have lost 3 months due to these particular circumstances.

2. Generally, military members do not work 9-5 jobs so getting to the post office, obtaining copy documentation, making the endless calls to the USCIS and NVC is difficult. Lower ranks have even bigger problems as they may need to get "permission" to do these things during normal working hours.

3. Divorce in the military is at a higher rate than the general population so you need to have a very strong relationship to cope with long seperations, regular moves and irregular work patterns. This relationship cannot be built up over the couple of months you might get prior to your spouse deploying especially as if he (she) has already receive orders to deploy as you can be sure that their mind will be focused on deployment not curling up on the sofa with newly arrived spouse!!!!

4. My final point is that when your spouse arrives you know that you will never have to spend this much time apart again. You know that when they go to work, generally, they will be home for dinner, weekends will be yours, conversations can be forever face-to-face. Military spouses know that their husband (wife) will be gone several weeks a year if not for a full year or more, we know that dinner will not always be eaten together (despite the fact you made it as you he was on the way ome an hour ago!), we know that our time as a couple, a family is only our own until the phone rings or orders arrive. We know that one day we may need to stand and watch our beloved partner walk away and deep down know that we may never see them again, we will want to run after them and say "don't go" but know that is just not something we can do, we know that nights will be spent lay awake one phone under the pillow, another by the bed and a mobile phone (or two) "just in case". As military spouses we know what we "signed up" to so I am not asking for sympathy just the compassion to understand that for every day a military wife spends away from her husband is a day that could have been lived together, a day that she may not get the opportunity to make up for over the coming years. A day lost forever.

So is the expediting of our cases really so very wrong? I am sure many people will say it is, but as the husbands & wives of the military we will disagree in strongest terms.

Regards

Emma

Married 16th April 2007 - Seattle :)

17th April completing military paperwork (Honeymoon?)

Emma flew back to UK 18th April 2007 :(

Change of name documents arrived for Emma and children

Fedex Em's paper work for I-130 to E in US - 10/05/07

E completed all his paper work - 13/05/07 (I'm impressed!)

Emma had nightmare that all her details were filled out incorrectly and actually spent 6 hours thinking it was real - 13th May !!!!!!

first hiccup - E "out" with work can't get to post office now until 21st May!!!

24th May 2007 - I-130 posted

29th May 2007 - I-130 received at 7am (somebody starts work early!!)

13th June Cheques cleared - one small step but an exciting one!

15th October NOA2 received - 145 days

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
request to expedite my application was approved on june 12 ( due to incoming deployments )

just got my NOA2

Congrats! Not too far from getting it (\^o^/). I love seeing good news! Hope you will enjoy your time with your husband before he leaves. What part of the US are you moving to?

Ps. I miss Sarah~ this thread needs her. (A lot of things have happened on this forum during my trip to Macau ><") Some people are not really friendly on this forum.

But anyway, Wish every military spouse the best and keep the good news coming.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

11/17/2005 Got married in West Lafayette, Indiana

04/09/2008 Filed I-130 (DCF) Received Packet 3

04/14/2008 Received Packet 4 & did medical

04/18/2008 Interview (morning)

04/18/2008 Received IR1 (afternoon)

04/20/2008 POE-received I-551 stamp

04/28/2008 Hubbie's 3rd deployment to Iraq

05/14/2008 Received physical Green Card

04/19/2011 N400 Sent to NSC

04/27/2011 Check cashed

04/30/2011 NOA received

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi Matt85,

Matt

Dear All,

Firstly Hello, I have not seen this thread before and wanted to introduce myself as a wife of an active duty US soldier (I do't like Military Spouse as a term - It sounds like I married the military and not my husband, although I realise that this effectively means I married the military!!! :unsure: )

Matt,

I can appreciate your point but it is not one that I can agree with. There are a few issues that as a none military spouse you will probably not be aware of and I thought I might bring them to your attention in the interest of discussion:

1. Military members are often away on field training with no access to phone, email or regular mail. The length of time can vary from a week to several weeks. And you can bet that this training will happen several times a year generally when you are waiting for an all important notice or packet. Personally, my husband and I have lost 3 months due to these particular circumstances.

2. Generally, military members do not work 9-5 jobs so getting to the post office, obtaining copy documentation, making the endless calls to the USCIS and NVC is difficult. Lower ranks have even bigger problems as they may need to get "permission" to do these things during normal working hours.

3. Divorce in the military is at a higher rate than the general population so you need to have a very strong relationship to cope with long seperations, regular moves and irregular work patterns. This relationship cannot be built up over the couple of months you might get prior to your spouse deploying especially as if he (she) has already receive orders to deploy as you can be sure that their mind will be focused on deployment not curling up on the sofa with newly arrived spouse!!!!

4. My final point is that when your spouse arrives you know that you will never have to spend this much time apart again. You know that when they go to work, generally, they will be home for dinner, weekends will be yours, conversations can be forever face-to-face. Military spouses know that their husband (wife) will be gone several weeks a year if not for a full year or more, we know that dinner will not always be eaten together (despite the fact you made it as you he was on the way ome an hour ago!), we know that our time as a couple, a family is only our own until the phone rings or orders arrive. We know that one day we may need to stand and watch our beloved partner walk away and deep down know that we may never see them again, we will want to run after them and say "don't go" but know that is just not something we can do, we know that nights will be spent lay awake one phone under the pillow, another by the bed and a mobile phone (or two) "just in case". As military spouses we know what we "signed up" to so I am not asking for sympathy just the compassion to understand that for every day a military wife spends away from her husband is a day that could have been lived together, a day that she may not get the opportunity to make up for over the coming years. A day lost forever.

So is the expediting of our cases really so very wrong? I am sure many people will say it is, but as the husbands & wives of the military we will disagree in strongest terms.

Regards

Emma

I shed tears from reading your post Emma. I can very much relate to the situation of all military spouses. I would brave hell and back just to be with my husband before he deploys. Lets keep the faith military spouses we'll get there soon.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hey Ruby_Jade...

Let's not even go there and get mad at anyone. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. No need to turn it into an argument or debate. That's not what VJ is about and it's not necessary.

It's so funny to me how some folks can think though....when word gets out about the new faster NVC process I wonder how many people are going to be upset that the people here at VJ knew about it and were/are getting "case complete" in weeks rather than months when the NVC hasn't officially launched it yet.

You'll probably hear crys from people saying that it's not fair.

That's just how people are.....and it's sad really. We should try to be happy for each other.

NATURALIZATION
07-03-2013: Eligible to file
07-22-2013: Application sent (Delivered: 07-24-13)
08-05-2013: NOA1 received (Priority date: 07-24-13, Check cashed: 07-29-13)
08-22-2013: Biometrics (Received: 08-06-13, Walk-in: 08-08-13)
09-03-2013: Inline for interview (Yellow letter received: 10-23-13)
11-04-2013: Interview scheduled (Received: 11-09-13)
12-12-2013: Interview (Approved)
01-03-2014: Oath ceremony, passport application and passport received

DONE!

Hi Emma, welcome to our little group here.

Matt I'm sorry that you disagree. We are all entitled to our own views though and thanks for throwing in your 2 cents on the matter. Whether we, here, agree or disagree with it is really of little importance, the fact of the matter is its happening and therefore people in the position to take advantage of it should.

I'm lucky Alan and I no longer have to meet the damands of a three way relationship with the US Army. For that I'm quite happy to hand my spot at the front of the queue over to someone else if it is going to help keep us safe.

Hope everyone is well today

xxxx

I-129F

12.03.08 ~ NOA1

12.05.08 ~ NOA2

06.06.08 ~ Packet 3

18.06.08 ~ Packet 4

25.06.08 ~ Medical

11.07.08 ~ Interview - Approved!

22.07.08 ~ POE Atlanta

K1 = 3months, 29days

AOS

07.11.08 ~ NOA 1 - AOS, EAD, AP

24.11.08 ~ Transferred to CSC

28.11.08 ~ Biometrics

31.12.08 ~ EAD/AP Approved :)

23.03.09 ~ RFE

06.04.09 ~ RFE response delivered to CSC

22.04.09 ~ Card production ordered

01.05.09 ~ Conditional GC arrived in the mail

Permanent Residence = 5months, 15days

Matt, I understand you do not agree with the military expedites in between deployments and you are entitled to your opinion.

However, the fact remains that such expedites ARE indeed approved by USCIS these days and they are approved based on DOD National Interest. So your view on this is not "the only way to spin this", or at least definitely not for USCIS (and NVC). And this information is very relevant for other military spouses in the same position.

Hang in there Liza!!

Edited by Catt

Website US Department of State, Consular Affairs Bureau: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1339.html

Hey Ruby_Jade...

Let's not even go there and get mad at anyone. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. No need to turn it into an argument or debate. That's not what VJ is about and it's not necessary.

It's so funny to me how some folks can think though....when word gets out about the new faster NVC process I wonder how many people are going to be upset that the people here at VJ knew about it and were/are getting "case complete" in weeks rather than months when the NVC hasn't officially launched it yet.

You'll probably hear crys from people saying that it's not fair.

That's just how people are.....and it's sad really. We should try to be happy for each other.

ok i got a little carried away because of what he said,,,

my DH just got a letter to expedite our case from his CO in IRAQ !!!

this is suppose to be a US military spouse thread i dunno why he needs to butt in unless he's gay.. LOL

ok im just joking!!! :bonk::bonk::bonk:

Hi Matt85,

Matt

Dear All,

Matt,

Regards

Emma

HI EMMA,

welcome aboard!!! im ruby my hubby is deployed in iraq..

and there is nothing wrong with expediting our case!!! :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.