Army_Wife

US Military Spouses

700 posts in this topic

Hi, I am Nadine, I am also a military spouse. We are currently stationed at Barksdale AFB, LA, but about to PCS to Baumholder, Germany.

I have a quick question: I just recieved my conditional greencard in March 2008. I know that in general my time in Germany won't count against me and that I still meet the residence requirements in order to lift conditions.

But how does it work if I want to travel back to the US after being outside the country for more than a year? Usually I would need a re-entry permit, but how is it for the military? I was told I only need a copy of my husbands orders (with my name on it of course) and I shouldn't have any problems at the border. Is that true?

Hi Nadine,

Orders should do it. They are well aware of such things at POEs.

Enjoy your time in Germany for me! I loved it there the three years we were stationed in Pirmasens.

Retired Army wife

Ex Marine Mom

Soon to be Navy Mom

(sorry, we missed the AF so far)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
Hi, I am Nadine, I am also a military spouse. We are currently stationed at Barksdale AFB, LA, but about to PCS to Baumholder, Germany.

I have a quick question: I just recieved my conditional greencard in March 2008. I know that in general my time in Germany won't count against me and that I still meet the residence requirements in order to lift conditions.

But how does it work if I want to travel back to the US after being outside the country for more than a year? Usually I would need a re-entry permit, but how is it for the military? I was told I only need a copy of my husbands orders (with my name on it of course) and I shouldn't have any problems at the border. Is that true?

Hi Nadine,

Orders should do it. They are well aware of such things at POEs.

Enjoy your time in Germany for me! I loved it there the three years we were stationed in Pirmasens.

Retired Army wife

Ex Marine Mom

Soon to be Navy Mom

(sorry, we missed the AF so far)

Thank you very much. I just don't want to get a bad surprise when I try to travel next time..lol

Being in the AF isn't bad. At least the deployments are still under a year (most of the time). My husbands next job will be with the Army though, well, an AF detachment on an Army post, so that will be different for us.

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline

Well guys .... I got approved today!

Thank you for all the support you have given me so far.

Just to let all you military spouses without deployment pending, looming or current, expedites are not impossible .....

You must involve the Commander (the higher up the better) and a Senator and apply for an expedite under National Interest.

Mine was backed up with Financial and Humanitarian, but I know that they didn't really bother reading past the Colonel's letter stating the importance of the expedite.

Of course no expedite is guaranteed, but my case shows that it is possible.

Everyone in the military regardless of rank is very important to the mission .... the mission being the protection of the United States (whether they are deployed or not) .... this comes under National Interest.

Now, I'd better get my ####### in gear for NVC

:dancing::dancing:

Edited by KipandSarahJayne

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Just to let all you military spouses without deployment pending, looming or current, expedites are not impossible .....

You must involve the Commander (the higher up the better) and a Senator and apply for an expedite under National Interest.

Mine was backed up with Financial and Humanitarian, but I know that they didn't really bother reading past the Colonel's letter stating the importance of the expedite.

Everyone in the military regardless of rank is very important to the mission .... the mission being the protection of the United States (whether they are deployed or not) .... this comes under National Interest.

OMG! It's so good to hear that, Sarah. Congratulations! So I guess we were right about the good news :) kool

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

11/17/2005 Got married in West Lafayette, Indiana

04/09/2008 Filed I-130 (DCF) Received Packet 3

04/14/2008 Received Packet 4 & did medical

04/18/2008 Interview (morning)

04/18/2008 Received IR1 (afternoon)

04/20/2008 POE-received I-551 stamp

04/28/2008 Hubbie's 3rd deployment to Iraq

05/14/2008 Received physical Green Card

04/19/2011 N400 Sent to NSC

04/27/2011 Check cashed

04/30/2011 NOA received

WOW SARAH,, IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU..!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance::dance: :dance:

start packing sarah.. :lol:

Congratulations Sarah! Woohoooo your on your way :)

I-129F

12.03.08 ~ NOA1

12.05.08 ~ NOA2

06.06.08 ~ Packet 3

18.06.08 ~ Packet 4

25.06.08 ~ Medical

11.07.08 ~ Interview - Approved!

22.07.08 ~ POE Atlanta

K1 = 3months, 29days

AOS

07.11.08 ~ NOA 1 - AOS, EAD, AP

24.11.08 ~ Transferred to CSC

28.11.08 ~ Biometrics

31.12.08 ~ EAD/AP Approved :)

23.03.09 ~ RFE

06.04.09 ~ RFE response delivered to CSC

22.04.09 ~ Card production ordered

01.05.09 ~ Conditional GC arrived in the mail

Permanent Residence = 5months, 15days

That is great news Sarah! well done and congrats!

And Hi to everybody....nice to find this thread :D Good luck to you all (F)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
Dear everyone,

I am also a military spouse. My husband served 8 years full time US army and was deployed already in Iraq, Aghanistan, etc. But before we got married he already chose to get out from the US army and chose to be with me and make family with me :luv::luv::luv: ,

and now he is in part time National Guard aside from his full time civilian work.

I just want to say hello to you all, and want myself to track this topic..

And, yeah i thought they process quicker military cases.. But seems not..

Thank you guys.. By the way, is anyone here from Kansas or Nebraska? :luv:

Hi Shape, Congrats that you were granted to the visa! :innocent: I noticed your timeline, you got it so fast with NVC... I wonder if there's some ways to get that? I will not be in Kansas/Nebraska, I will be in LA then...

Ling

Timeline

HEY, SARAH!!! WE WERE SAYING!!! YOU WOULD BE THE NEXT ONE!!! :yes: CONGRATS!!! AND NOW WE'RE ON A SAME LINE AGAIN!!! :thumbs: YEAH YEAH YEAH I LOVE GOOD NEWS!!!

Ling

Timeline
Congratulations Sarah! Woohoooo your on your way :)

Hi Bex, how are you doing? I noticed your timeline and Shape's timeline, and both you guys got it fast in NVC, NVC received my case on May 15, and I still hear nothing from them yet... I wonder how did you guys get it so quick? and also what do I need for my gear with NVC? I have no clues about it :(

Ling

Timeline

WOW SARAH,, IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU..!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance::dance::dance:

start packing sarah.. :lol:

Hi, how are you doing, Ruby? How is the I-130 with you? Any clues yet? I hope you and your SO find out a way to get it!!!

PS: I need you to help me with a question, I PMed you...

Hope you're well.

Ling

Thank you so much MarineBabe, Ruby, Bex, Welshcookie and Ling .... it was certainly a stunning finish, and not one I would've expected a few days ago .... this time I went in with 'all guns ablazing' for the expedite and gave them no wiggle room whatsoever :lol: .... and I was quite blown away myself how it all happened.

The 4 month wait and previous expedite refusal certainly knocked my confidence for a while ..... but out of it, I found a way to expedite which should help all military in the future :thumbs:

"Where there's a will ... there's a way!"

Ling my lovely, don't panic about NVC .... check out these 2 links .... ignore James shortcut now as it's defunct thanks to Lotopatience's new setup which is on the second link.

The first link is the one I penned a couple of weeks back and has all the paperwork you'll need on it etc and documents.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=124755

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=127253

Read them both very carefully.

Then just get things together in a methodical fashion.

Hugs for all you guys,

Sarah xx

"(mrs. hooks32 @ May 27 2008, 06:29 PM)

i called them the rear the and they dnt give a $h!@ cos they refuse to help me they told me that the army wont do anything for the immigration,,i was soo pissed off i have the iraq orders of my husband and he might return from iraq in july my momma inlaw was talking to the senator in georgia so i hope thet will help us.b4 i get off online to her she was asked to call them .. does the document need recipts or just the letter indicating the montly rents from my landlord and bills iam paying,, or a summarize list...thanks sarah this visa is making me soo stress out!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Mrs. Hooks,

I've brought the above quote over from your last postiing on Expedite Tips.

We've discussed this issue for months .... and I'm getting a little confused as to what the issue is.

You really don't need anyone to intervene on your behalf.

You've had all the information about how to expedite for deployment ..... it's an accepted expedite criteria.

Please, just fax the orders, a cover letter and your NOA1 to Vermont .... as your Husband is coming back in July now, you could be running the risk of losing your expedite option.

As far as the Rear D is concerned, he may not realise that the Army can help out with a letter which is put together tightly .... this was new to my Husband's Commander the other day until we asked for it .... so please be patient with him and outline exactly what you are looking for in a calm and collected manner .... but only if your expedite goes to to rat ####### the normal way.

If you have not faxed the orders over yet with the letter and NOA1 please send it today, do not delay it anymore.

"(mrs. hooks32 @ May 27 2008, 06:29 PM)

i called them the rear the and they dnt give a $h!@ cos they refuse to help me they told me that the army wont do anything for the immigration,,i was soo pissed off i have the iraq orders of my husband and he might return from iraq in july my momma inlaw was talking to the senator in georgia so i hope thet will help us.b4 i get off online to her she was asked to call them .. does the document need recipts or just the letter indicating the montly rents from my landlord and bills iam paying,, or a summarize list...thanks sarah this visa is making me soo stress out!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Mrs. Hooks,

I've brought the above quote over from your last postiing on Expedite Tips.

We've discussed this issue for months .... and I'm getting a little confused as to what the issue is.

You really don't need anyone to intervene on your behalf.

You've had all the information about how to expedite for deployment ..... it's an accepted expedite criteria.

Please, just fax the orders, a cover letter and your NOA1 to Vermont .... as your Husband is coming back in July now, you could be running the risk of losing your expedite option.

As far as the Rear D is concerned, he may not realise that the Army can help out with a letter which is put together tightly .... this was new to my Husband's Commander the other day until we asked for it .... so please be patient with him and outline exactly what you are looking for in a calm and collected manner .... but only if your expedite goes to to rat ####### the normal way.

If you have not faxed the orders over yet with the letter and NOA1 please send it today, do not delay it anymore.

thanks sarah for that.. like i said i talked and ask nicly to the rear D but like i said they refuse to help.. cos they told me that army is out of immigration thing,, so i just say thank you for the time.. i called the uscis costumer service they wont give any number or fax #...i told them that we just request expedite and i will send some documents like NOA orders in vermont & until now we have no news on our expedite request.....even me iam confuse so i will just wait and wait im tired of doing options.. like my inlaws says that not everything others do.. might not work for me.. i will just wait and see how this service center process my application.

by the way.. im happy got your application approve,, start packing your stuff... :thumbs:

Edited by mrs. hooks32

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-130 Sent : 01-15-2008

I-130 NOA1 : 02-12-2008

I-130 Approved : 06-02-2008

NVC Received : 06-16-2008

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 07-01-2008

Pay I-864 Bill 07-01-2008

Return Completed DS-3032 : 07-01-2008

IV fee bill- 08-06-2008

IV FEE PAID- 08-08-2008

IV PACKET SENT 08-11-2008

NVC recive mail 08-13-2008

NVC COMPLETE CASE- 08-21-2008

CASE EXPEDITE FOR EARLY INTERVIEW IN USEM

waiting for nvc to forward in usem,,,

NVC SEND OUT THE CASE GOING TO US EMBASSY MANILA- SEPT 08 2008- via dhl

EMBASSY RECVD THE DOCS. SEPT. 11-2008 sign by Manuel... *waiting for embassy's call*

PAID THE DELBROS- SEPT 16 2008

MEDICAL- SEPT 17 3008 "passed"

INTERVIEW- OCT 03 2008 *PASSED PINK SLIP ONLY*

called embassy to for visa follow up..*visa is printed waiting for release*

*recived txt from delbros they are ready to dispatch the visa,* -OCT 06 2008

*visa was deliverd *OCT-07-2008* 9:30am

VISA IN HAND 10-07-2008 ********************************

ATTEND AND COMPLETE CFO SEMINAR- OCT 08 08

GOT SON'S EXIT PERMIT -OCT 08 08

POE. OCT 17- 2008.. DETROIT.* Whoop whoop!!!

*FINNALY LIVING TOGETHER AS A FAMILY

**RECIVE SSN CARD**dec 2008

**RECIVE THE GREEN CARD**DEC 4 2008**

**********GLAD IS ALL IN MY HANDS***************

http://melodyhooks32.blogspot.com/

http://myspace.com/mheds_hooks

Filed: Country: Finland
Timeline

Hi im new to this forum. Im in the ARMY. i have the love of my life over in finland. Im looking for any information that would help to bring us together. or what department/person i should be talking to to find information on this. thanks in advance for the much needed help... also id like to hear some of your experiences in this process, pm/msg me if youd like.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.