bowflex

Favorite Things Now That You're in America?

126 posts in this topic

Are you going to live in a van down by the river and eat government cheese?

I have not a clue what government cheese is. :unsure: But living by the river sounds lovely! :lol:

Another favourite thing!....

Legal U-turns!!!!! Honestly, those things are the best thing since sliced bread. I must admit to being as confused as heck by them at first, because they're not legal in Canada. I wasn't quite sure how to do it... do you handle it like an intersection or what? But now I know to keep to my left and I won't have people hatin' on me. Yay for legal U-turns!!!!! :dance:

Yay for U-turns! I love doing these now.

Concurrent I-130 and AOS

Nov 30 2007 - I enter US as a tourist to spend the ski season with my sweetie and figure out what we both want outta life - we plan on ending up in Canada, but...

Jan 30 2008 - We get married in Vegas! We decide to stay in the US.

Feb 08 2008 - File I-130, I-485, AP and EAD

Feb 11 2008 - Package arrives in Chicago

Feb 19 2008 - Receive NOA 1 for everything except I-485. NOA date Feb 15th

Feb 19 2008 - Touch I-130, AP, EAD

Feb 21 2008 - Receive I-485 NOA 1. NOA Date Feb 15th

Feb 22 2008 - Receive Biometrics notice, dated Feb 20th, for appointment March 11th

Feb 27 2008 - Walk in to Denver field office and have Biometrics taken early as the 11th March I'll be away

Apr 16 2008 - EAD card production ordered

Apr 16 2008 - AP approval sent

Apr 21 2008 - AP received in mail

Apr 21 2008 - EAD card production email received again - strange

Apr 24 2008 - EAD card approval notice sent email

Apr 26 2008 - EAD card received

May 03 2008 - Interview notice received -June 27th

May 22 2008 - Touch on I-485

June 09 2008 - I-130 finally shows up online and shows a touch that day, so does I-485

Jun 27 2008 - Interview - approved, stamped, received card production email. Ya-hoo!!!!

July 10 2008 - Card received

Total time from filing - approval: 4.5 months

MOVED TO SAN DIEGO!!

Lifting of Conditions

June 11 2010 - Package mailed

June 16 2010 - NOA date

July 2 2010 - Bio letter received - July 27th date

July 9 2010 - Early biometrics walk in San Marcos CA

Sept 16 2010 - Card production ordered

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Are you going to live in a van down by the river and eat government cheese?

I have not a clue what government cheese is. :unsure: But living by the river sounds lovely! :lol:

Another favourite thing!....

Legal U-turns!!!!! Honestly, those things are the best thing since sliced bread. I must admit to being as confused as heck by them at first, because they're not legal in Canada. I wasn't quite sure how to do it... do you handle it like an intersection or what? But now I know to keep to my left and I won't have people hatin' on me. Yay for legal U-turns!!!!! :dance:

Yay for U-turns! I love doing these now.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... U-turns aren't legal in Canada? Is that all of Canada or just certain provinces? :blink:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know about the rest of Canada, but I can't think of any place in BC where they are allowed.

I nearly pooped myself when DH pulled one here ... I thought he was just a really bad driver ... until I saw the signs in the US where its legal! :bonk:

AOS

May 23, 2008 - AOS filed

June 3, 2008 - NOA

June 27th - scheduled biometrics, reschedule requested

July 14th - biometrics

July 16 - cases available online

Aug 6th - card production ordered (EAD)

Filed: Other Timeline

There are gated communities with 24/7 security in Canada, as well as areas where U-turns are legal.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Timeline
There are gated communities with 24/7 security in Canada, as well as areas where U-turns are legal.

Come on.... you know what I mean. :P Yes, the gated communities exist in Canada..... but very rarely do you see them. And if you do you can never hope to live there because you could never afford to. And ditto for the U-turns. Here, it's universal. There? Can't think of one single place I've been to in Canada that it's legal.... and I've travelled extensively.

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Come on.... you know what I mean. :P Yes, the gated communities exist in Canada..... but very rarely do you see them. And if you do you can never hope to live there because you could never afford to. And ditto for the U-turns. Here, it's universal. There? Can't think of one single place I've been to in Canada that it's legal.... and I've travelled extensively.

I think my Husband will be liking ye olde U-turns - weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I don't drive much anymore - I don't really like driving, never did actually.

I think my Husband will be liking ye olde U-turns - weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

U-turns come in very handy as a new resident trying to find their way around. I do a lot of them. :blush:

Whaaaaat? You don't like driving? I LOVE to drive. :dance:

iagree.gif

Timeline

U-turns come in very handy as a new resident trying to find their way around. I do a lot of them. :blush:

Whaaaaat? You don't like driving? I LOVE to drive. :dance:

Yeah it's just something that never really appealed to me. I didn't even get my license until I was like 22 I think. I was scared of parked cars at that point - so I taught myself to drive by driving around the block over and over.

I think it's winter driving that really put me off.

ninjahijack.gif

Edited by trailmix

I was scared of parked cars at that point - so I taught myself to drive by driving around the block over and over.

Yeah, cause they're so threatening. I just HATE when they jump out at you and yell "BOO". :hehe: (You have no idea how funny that bolded bit sounds. :lol:)

iagree.gif

Timeline
I was scared of parked cars at that point - so I taught myself to drive by driving around the block over and over.

Yeah, cause they're so threatening. I just HATE when they jump out at you and yell "BOO". :hehe: (You have no idea how funny that bolded bit sounds. :lol:)

:hehe:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My fav thing is my hubby.. hands down!! :blush:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

About the sweet tea... My Grandmother makes awesome sweet tea. We're down south in Georgia, we like it too! All she does is heat water.. just to the boiling point but not quite boiling.. I think boiling it gives it a kinda flat taste.. but anyway, she puts her tea bags in the water and lets it steep. I guess depending on how strong you like it, you have to experiment a bit. She puts sugar in her pitcher and pours the hot tea over it.. stirs it all up and lets it cool.. Voila!

Also, she only heats a small pot of water so when it steeps its fairly strong, once the sugar dissolves you fill the rest up with water. I'd say about 2 cups of sugar to a gallon.. we like it sweet!

Hope it all makes sense.. us folks with ADD don't do the linear thinking thing :P

8817.gif

10828.gif

Trevor & Rhonda

Timeline

March – Met online

June - I went to Regina for the first time

October – Trevor visited for 2 weeks

May – Trevor visited for 2 weeks

No visits

No visits

February - Trevor visited for 1 week

June – I got to visit for 7 whole weeks!

March 27 – Sent I-129F application

April 1 – Received by VSC

April 3 - Touch

April 24 - Touch

May 31 Iwent to visit for 8 weeks

July 7 - NOA2

October 27 - Interview - APPROVED!

Filed: Other Timeline

Personally I don't much like gated communities. Whether they're trailer parks or McMansions. They're all over the place in South Central Ontario, I used to see 'em all the time.

There are neighbourhoods all over Toronto where U turns are legal. And most other intersections in Ontario. Its only illegal if its posted as such.

From the Ontario Driver's Handbook:

Before you make a U-turn, check to make sure there is no sign saying not to.

To make a U-turn safely, you must be able to see well in both directions. It is illegal to make a U-turn on a curve in the road, on or near a railway crossing or hilltop, or near a bridge or tunnel that blocks your view. Never make a U-turn unless you can see at least 150 metres in both directions.

To make a U-turn, signal for a right turn, check your mirror and over your shoulder and pull over to the right side of the road. Stop. Signal a left turn and when traffic is clear in both directions, move forward and turn quickly and sharply into the opposite lane. Check for traffic as you turn.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.