bowflex

Favorite Things Now That You're in America?

126 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know if I should really bother or not, but here goes.

The fact that you break people down in to stereotypes/races and then slur them is the problem.

"These are the people who walk back and forth on the street lane while you're waiting at a red light. Walking around your car. I've never seen a Mexican do this".

Well bully for you - but you know what, no one cares what your preconceived ideas are about Mexicans or any other culture.

"I suppose in retrospect, I should have worded my first post differently. When I lived in Canada, I dealt with multicultural post office staff who were friendly. As soon as I got here, I had crummy service from USPS that was all minorites".

I would hope that in retrospect you would have not posted it at all. As flames mentioned, there is no room in this forum for racist comments - won't listen to it, won't put up with it.

Edited by trailmix

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
I'm referring to people who actively are asking for money at the stop lights. These are the people who walk back and forth on the street lane while you're waiting at a red light. Walking around your car. I've never seen a Mexican do this. This is a good thing. I get tired of seeing the same bums at the same stop lights everyday. Is it going to anger people if I say the people begging for change at lights are cacausian Caucasian, correct spelling? Did I just stereotype an entire race of people? Yes, you did.

I'm sorry; but the folks I see in Seattle's corners asking for money are usually white teenagers.

As for the post office being multicultural: welcome to the United States. My post office has 4 white women, 1 white man and 2 women of Asian descent. They all happen to be quite courteous and polite.

I'm sorry; but the folks I see in Seattle's corners asking for money are usually white teenagers. Does this mean I can go ahead and say (pardon the expression): "all this White Trash are annoying me". I don't think so.

As for the post office being multicultural: welcome to the United States. My post office has 4 white women, 1 white man and 2 women of Asian descent. They all happen to be quite courteous and polite.

I am Mexican and work in academia. And I can guarantee you I obtained my position based on my qualifications, not the color of my skin. What? A Mexican with a graduate degree? Surprising?

Edited by Len_and_Bren

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hmm, seems people in this thread have more favourite things than I do.

I don't see what the big deal with Target is.

Canada Post was 10x better than USPS.

American TV has more lawyers, pharmaceutical drugs, and Head-On commercials.

I'VE ONLY SEEN 1 HOCKEY GAME ON TV IN 6 MONTHS. #######?

No cider anywhere. And the beer is so so.

In the last week, I had two people come and ask me for money. One guy who pulled up to the pump in his car asking for gas money. And another guy in the grocery store asking for food money. Both strike me as odd.

Favourite things here so far?

Cheap shipping and no tax on internet purchases.

No scraping windows or running the defrost in the winter.

The enjoyment of walking outside during "winter."

Can go to a concert without spending the night (ferry + hotel). Much cheaper and faster. Just drive to the show and drive home.

Cheaper investment fees/taxes.

Lastly, paying US prices for books and magazines.

Umm, you may need to move! We watch hockey on TV several times a week AND there is cider in the stores and bars in the DC area. Plus, new coach and Ovechkin means Caps hockey is even worth watching most of the time!

Course, the downside is that you may have to scrape your windshield or run the defrost here. And still just so-so beer.

I do think though that you are the only person I have ever heard say that they like Canadian Post over USPS. : :)

I didn't really discover cider until I moved to Nor VA. There is def no shortage of ciders here at all...

Another positive I forgot to add to my list:

Sweet Tea in the south! (it SO beats any "iced tea" you get in Canada)

The canadian forum doesn't like such comments & discussion.. take such attitudes to "Off Topic" please!!!

there's a reason a lot of us stay OUT of OT

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Timeline
I didn't really discover cider until I moved to Nor VA. There is def no shortage of ciders here at all...

Details please! What is special about the tea, is it made a different way or with different tea/sweetner. :)

Timeline
I don't know if I should really bother or not, but here goes.

The fact that you break people down in to stereotypes/races and then slur them is the problem.

"These are the people who walk back and forth on the street lane while you're waiting at a red light. Walking around your car. I've never seen a Mexican do this".

Well bully for you - but you know what, no one cares what your preconceived ideas are about Mexicans or any other culture.

"I suppose in retrospect, I should have worded my first post differently. When I lived in Canada, I dealt with multicultural post office staff who were friendly. As soon as I got here, I had crummy service from USPS that was all minorites".

I would hope that in retrospect you would have not posted it at all. As flames mentioned, there is no room in this forum for racist comments - won't listen to it, won't put up with it.

I think Texadian is just negative (period) He/she has just somehow come onto a thread that started out to be a positive list of things in America and turned it into a really negative one.

Timeline

Details please! What is special about the tea, is it made a different way or with different tea/sweetner. :)

You know, I actually have no idea how they make it (shame) exactly but I know it's amazing! My parents came to visit and my mom couldn't stop going on about how much she loves it. I think it's real brewed tea with sugar in it (opposed to crystals). It tastes just like tea and it's yummy!

Every restaurant has it - in fact if you ask for "iced tea" they'll look at you strangely and might bring a can of Brisk. I'm told it's a Virginia thing but I'm sure they have it in Maryland, West Virginia and South Carolina too.

Timeline

as the USC in our marriage..Im having alot of fun (minus the racist #######!) reading about things that everyone loves about the US...Im reading them to my husband and he also agrees about mail on Saturdays..looking forward to that...and he also thinks the dollar stores in the US are better..We have Dollar Tree and the 99 cent only store...

he would also like to add Strawberry Milkshakes at Sonic (I prefer the Cherry Limeades!), Papa Murphys Take N Bake Pizza, and Big Lots, he loves that store!

Kimmbo (Las Vegas,NV,USA)

Barry (Brampton,ON,CANADA)

Im an American married to a Canadian, I have no kids, yet Im a grandmother, I can pick things up off the floor with my toes

I-130

----------------

Feb/26/07 Sent I-130 (VSC)($190 US)

March/2/07 Rcv'd at VSC

March/5/07 NOA-1

July/23/07 NOA2(147 days)

I-129F

--------------

March/16/07 Sent I-129F (Chicago) ($170 US)

March/21/07 Received in Chicago

March/22/07 NOA-1

April/10/07 Transferred to VSC

April/23/07 Email from USCIS (case pending at VSC)

July/23/07 NOA2(129 days)

July/28/07 Rcv'd at NVC

July/31/07 NVC sent to Montreal

Aug/3/07 Montreal Rcv'd

Aug/8/07 Packet 3 Received

Aug/10/07 Packet 3 Sent

Aug/13/07 Packet 3 Received in Montreal

Oct/17/07 Medical Scheduled (Dr Seiden)

Jan/25/08 INTERVIEW MONTREAL...APPROVED!

Feb/6/08 Montreal sends Visa, finally!

Feb/8/08 Received Visa (14 days)

April/18/08 Moving Day/POE Sarnia

AOS/EAD

--------------

June/21/08 AOS/EAD package sent ($1010)

June/23/08 Received in Chicago

June/30/08 Check cashed

July/01/08 Received NOA's for I-765 & I-485 (dated June 27th)

July/02/08 Touch

July/07/08 Received Biometrics letter (dated July 1st)

July/18/08 Biometrics appt 8am

Aug/30/08 EAD card received (approval dated Aug 26th)

Sept/04/08 Applied for SSN

Sept/15/08 Social Security card received

Jan/23/09 letter received with interview date

March/10/09 INTERVIEW 9:30am...APPROVED!!

March/19/09 Welcome Letter received

March/23/09 GREENCARD RECEIVED, DONE WITH USCIS UNTIL 2019!

I love target and all the coupons in the sunday paper (btw, it's SUNDAY, Ol brings me the paper home =) after work)

I also love Macy's sales and the fact that I get extra 20-40 % off if I use my card@@!!

and I love Thanksgiving's Black Friday sales because it's right before christmas!!!

Edited by liz_legend 'n Ol
vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Timeline

Oh Liz, forgot to say that I too love all the Sunday coupons!! I had some serious coupon withdrawal when I moved to Canada..I already have my mom saving all of her coupons for me (shes been saving since January)..LOL I love finding things on sale for $1 and having a $1 coupon..!!!!!!

Kimmbo (Las Vegas,NV,USA)

Barry (Brampton,ON,CANADA)

Im an American married to a Canadian, I have no kids, yet Im a grandmother, I can pick things up off the floor with my toes

I-130

----------------

Feb/26/07 Sent I-130 (VSC)($190 US)

March/2/07 Rcv'd at VSC

March/5/07 NOA-1

July/23/07 NOA2(147 days)

I-129F

--------------

March/16/07 Sent I-129F (Chicago) ($170 US)

March/21/07 Received in Chicago

March/22/07 NOA-1

April/10/07 Transferred to VSC

April/23/07 Email from USCIS (case pending at VSC)

July/23/07 NOA2(129 days)

July/28/07 Rcv'd at NVC

July/31/07 NVC sent to Montreal

Aug/3/07 Montreal Rcv'd

Aug/8/07 Packet 3 Received

Aug/10/07 Packet 3 Sent

Aug/13/07 Packet 3 Received in Montreal

Oct/17/07 Medical Scheduled (Dr Seiden)

Jan/25/08 INTERVIEW MONTREAL...APPROVED!

Feb/6/08 Montreal sends Visa, finally!

Feb/8/08 Received Visa (14 days)

April/18/08 Moving Day/POE Sarnia

AOS/EAD

--------------

June/21/08 AOS/EAD package sent ($1010)

June/23/08 Received in Chicago

June/30/08 Check cashed

July/01/08 Received NOA's for I-765 & I-485 (dated June 27th)

July/02/08 Touch

July/07/08 Received Biometrics letter (dated July 1st)

July/18/08 Biometrics appt 8am

Aug/30/08 EAD card received (approval dated Aug 26th)

Sept/04/08 Applied for SSN

Sept/15/08 Social Security card received

Jan/23/09 letter received with interview date

March/10/09 INTERVIEW 9:30am...APPROVED!!

March/19/09 Welcome Letter received

March/23/09 GREENCARD RECEIVED, DONE WITH USCIS UNTIL 2019!

=) and last sunday.. the sale papers didn't have any coupons in the package!!

I was sad

They're normally in the sealed package though, are they not??

Cuz I've already reminded him a bunch of times today =)

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Timeline

1- black friday sales

2- aldi's

3- saturday mail

4- cheap cars

5- dollar menu at mc donalds and burger king

6- macy's (especially if you use your macy's card)

7- target

8- TJ maxx and Marshalls

9- friendlier people (compared to TO)

10- MUCH cheaper liquor stores (LCBO is a ripoff)

11- great customer service

12- hard ball by chris matthews

13- lower taxes

BUT THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR TIM HORTON'S COFFEE!!!!!!!!!

Timeline

I only get the Sunday Washington Post delivered for 1)Coupons and 2)cartoons!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm still waiting to live in America, but being a regular VISITOR to my hubby's country, my favorite things in the US will include...

my Hunky husband

my wonderful new family

Costco pizza

Seaside OR

Carl's Jr. Western Bacon Double Chee

Macy's

Fred Meyer's

Cheap sports cars (love my new convertable!!!)

Can't wait to enjoy all of the above full time!!!

N-400 Citizenship

Sept. 13, 2011 N-400 sent to Phoenix Lockbox

Sept. 20, 2011 Check cashed

Sept. 23, 2011 NOA rec'd for N-400

Oct. 17, 2011 Biometrics appointment

Nov. 29, 2011 Interview - PASSED! 3yr anniversary not until 12/09/11

Dec. 13, 2011 Status update received "Oath Scheduled"

Dec. 15, 2011 Letter received with Oath date

Dec. 27, 2011 OATH! US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.