bowflex

Favorite Things Now That You're in America?

126 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm glad you all like Target so much. :) Here in NY access to Target isn't quite what it was for us when we lived in Minneapolis and had a car to load up with cheap stuff. Here we have to take the subway up to the Bronx and then we can only bring home what our little hands can carry. This has me asking myself: could I survive living in Canada? Knowing Target was so close, yet so far?

Whenever I'm away from Target for too long, I find myself browsing its website. It has a special gravitational pull for me. (Maybe they install some sort of homing device in your forehead when you visit the story your millionth time?)

Plug for my fine state: Target is a Minnesota company. :thumbs:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Since we're talking about where companies are based (or formed), here's a list of U.S. companies by state. It won't include every single company, but it should have the better known businesses on there.

Just to be fair, here's a list of Canadian companies as well. I would've included a link for Canadian companies by province, but Wikipedia doesn't seem to include that.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
--Fluff! My future mother in law introduced that stuff to me and I make fluffernutter san-miches...he he he

Fluff the wonder food! Mix 1 part Fluff to 1 part plain cream cheese and.... voila!.... instant fruit dip! Mmmmm. Now I want fruit and dip. :(

food_pyramid.jpg

Timeline
Hmm, seems people in this thread have more favourite things than I do.

I don't see what the big deal with Target is.

Canada Post was 10x better than USPS.

American TV has more lawyers, pharmaceutical drugs, and Head-On commercials.

I'VE ONLY SEEN 1 HOCKEY GAME ON TV IN 6 MONTHS. #######?

No cider anywhere. And the beer is so so.

In the last week, I had two people come and ask me for money. One guy who pulled up to the pump in his car asking for gas money. And another guy in the grocery store asking for food money. Both strike me as odd.

Favourite things here so far?

Cheap shipping and no tax on internet purchases.

No scraping windows or running the defrost in the winter.

The enjoyment of walking outside during "winter."

Can go to a concert without spending the night (ferry + hotel). Much cheaper and faster. Just drive to the show and drive home.

Cheaper investment fees/taxes.

Lastly, paying US prices for books and magazines.

Umm, you may need to move! We watch hockey on TV several times a week AND there is cider in the stores and bars in the DC area. Plus, new coach and Ovechkin means Caps hockey is even worth watching most of the time!

Course, the downside is that you may have to scrape your windshield or run the defrost here. And still just so-so beer.

I do think though that you are the only person I have ever heard say that they like Canadian Post over USPS. : :)

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

I'VE ONLY SEEN 1 HOCKEY GAME ON TV IN 6 MONTHS. #######?

Really? Versus has a game every Monday and Tuesday, plus NBC runs their game of the week on Sunday. Granted, the Red Wings are almost always involved... :)

FSN shows Dallas Stars games throughout the week. The Comcast Center Ice package is a good deal, too (they ran a free preview last month.)

Timeline
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/scoreboard Yahoo shows a few live games a week! Just look for the BLUE camera and it saw WATCH LIVE. one does require a free yahoo ID.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

cbc.ca is showing one right now -- click on the Sports tab and look for the HNIC logo on the right :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline

I was watching it on CBC.ca and then it went blank and the said "this video is not available in your area" I figured that would happen!! If so, why would people pay for NHL centre ice!! As long as they show the curling final Mb vs AB, I'm happy!! Sort of undecided who to cheer for!! Like both of the teams, but think I will go for AB!! Believe it was 10 yrs ago that Kliebrink lost to the Womens best ever curler Sandra Schmirler!! Schmirler had to make an amazing shot in that game!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I'm not interested in watching hockey on the computer. I like to relax on the couch and watch it on the big screen.

I'm with AT&T U-verse instead of Comcast. Can't get Comcast in our apartments. It's either Phonoscope or U-verse. No satellite allowed either. I went with the U200 package rather than the U300 package with Uverse. Basically the same thing but without the 30 channels of Fox Sports (mostly football, but I'm sure there would be hockey on there).

But I miss it being on CBC/TSN/Sportsnet. It was always available. I mean who didn't have those channels? I think they were included in the cheapest TV package, never mind the good ones.

I've yet to see Cider in restaurants, grocery stores, or liquor stores. Not sure why.

USPS is full of black people and Mexicans who know they can't get fired due to equal opportunity laws. Probably different in other areas. They've left all our mailboxes open and unlocked, lost our mail, taken weeks to deliver from Dallas to Houston, not delivered packages we've signed for, and not picked up outgoing mail from my wife's office. In the past, they've had carriers dump their entire bag of mail into the ditch. Nobody gets punished for it.

Canada Post on the other hand was friendly, outgoing, and fast.

-Spirit Airlines! $9 flights!

-lower cost for cell phones & land lines

-gotta love window shopping at Saks, Nordstrom's & Neiman Marcus (the only upscale store we have in Canada is Holt Renfrew - kind of sad)

I'll have to look into Spirit Airlines. I must say, I'm liking Continental Airlines. They offer miles for bank accounts, credit cards, credit-debit cards, eating in restaurants, using certain electric companies, first class flight draws for donating blood, just a good all around company.

Haven't looked into cell phone costs, but landlines are crazy expensive. We were paying $62/month for a landline with AT&T. Compare that to $32 with BC Tel/Telus. $62 for phone service is outragous. Wound up switching to VOIP which runs about $20/month.

Haven't been to Saks, but I went to the other two. $500 for a tie? LOL

I was talking to my Dad about Zellers a few weeks back. We both came to the same conclusion. It's almost as if they don't deserve to have our shopping done there. No advertising, no deals, nothing of particular quality that outshines anybody else. Everything seems so bland inside. They don't seem to cater to any market in specific.

USPS is full of black people and Mexicans who know they can't get fired due to equal opportunity laws.

I am sorry, but that is absolutely and completely offensive. I am disgusted. How dare you.

Hate to say it. But it's true. After spending 20 minutes in line at the post office lineup to finally get to the person working there. They then spent over 30 minutes gone in the back while I waited. I watched the clock. All in all it took 65 minutes.

Going there another time to ask how to file a lost report because my package was missing, I got the evil eye and grief about it. You can't do that here!!! That's federal! When I told them I'd been sent there by the police to file a missing mail report, all of a sudden they got real nice.

Return to sender mail never gets returned to sender. They just send it back to me.

I've been here less than a year and have gotten horrid service from them. They don't care. They don't applogize. When we ordered a Christmas gift that was mailed from Arkansas Dec 3rd and couldn't even get to our home until January, you know something is wrong. It's one state away.

I've yet to see a non-minority person working for USPS. I see their trucks all the time. I go to the post office somewhat regularly.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.