80 posts in this topic

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Why do you have to use premium?
I'm in the same boat. Begged my parents for a sports car in my senrior year of high school. It came with the "premium" only tag on the odometer and nice language such as "will void warranty" in the owner's manual. Certainly know all about the economics of premium v. regular. But what was I to do? Car is out of warranty now, too many years too many miles.

Still debating whether to switch to regular.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
Why do you have to use premium?
I'm in the same boat. Begged my parents for a sports car in my senrior year of high school. It came with the "premium" only tag on the odometer and nice language such as "will void warranty" in the owner's manual. Certainly know all about the economics of premium v. regular. But what was I to do? Car is out of warranty now, too many years too many miles.

Still debating whether to switch to regular.

Unfortunately, I drive a pickup (Chevy SSR) with a special engine, some 400 hp alminum block special, I tried to rum regular in it and the *%#) service engine light came on. I have an older german car and my mechanic says to run straight regular in it, but the mechanic advised don't use Texaco gasoline!? So low gas mileage pickups with high performance engines need to gulp on premium fuel, you have to be affiliated with the oil business to afford one of the darn things. The good news is if I take the truck on long trips I can run 75 mph and get 20-21 mpg.

..... and you are affiliated with the oil industry!

I've read several times that the difference in octane rating in gas bought through commercial retailers is so minute that most cars can't tell a difference, even those touted as "premium only" vehicles, thus making the 20 or 30 cent price difference a waste of money.

However, if your vehicle can "sense" the difference, maybe that's what it needs then. And, maybe you're going to the right gas station and getting good gas.

As said before.... your mileage (and pocket book) may vary.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
..... and you are affiliated with the oil industry!

I've read several times that the difference in octane rating in gas bought through commercial retailers is so minute that most cars can't tell a difference, even those touted as "premium only" vehicles, thus making the 20 or 30 cent price difference a waste of money.

However, if your vehicle can "sense" the difference, maybe that's what it needs then. And, maybe you're going to the right gas station and getting good gas.

As said before.... your mileage (and pocket book) may vary.

Yeah I agree. But when I ran premium in it ran fine, deciding to go it on the cheap I occasionally ran a tank of regular in, and the *&^%$ light came on. Ran a tank of premium through it, light went off. I work at a state agency that regulates gas quality and everything is based on octane and they occasionally catch someone running regular no lead for mid-grade and even premium, money to be made if you can get away with it. Right now the gasoline retailers are complaining about the use of credit cards and the amount credit card companies charge to put gas transactions on a credit card, I have heard numbers as high as 7 cents per gallon. . To date myself I was driving back during the oil embargo days and they switched to no lead from leaded gas. Drivers had a real problem with valves running regular no lead with older cars, had to use a fuel additive to keep their valves from rattling. Even some of the no lead cars had trouble with no lead. Go to a boosted octane and the valve noise went away. Where are you in the marrying a Russian process? I haven't read all the posts in this forum so I am a little behind. Right now my wife and I are waiting AOS, been waiting for 11 months 9 days. Hope you don't file through TSC they were slow on the fiancee visa and just transferred us and a big batch of others to VSC. My wife and I are debating when to file for naturalization for ease of travel, some countries are onerous to those travelling on a Russian passport, and it is much easier to enter those countries with a CVA passport. I commend you and any of the other folks that are learning Russian, I have been married nearly 4 years and am ashamed at my dearth of Russian. my wife tries, but my retention is terrible, start mixing spanish and german into the mix. It sounds pretty stupid. If you have any questions about being married to a Russian and making the transition easier, feel free to ask. From what I have seen of this forum it pretty well answers any questions posed. I wish this would have been available when I joined VJ 5 years ago, but I guess it took awhile before folks decided to share common problems with specific countries and the visa process.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Many newer cars (like mine) have a knock sensor, so if you use lower octane gas, the engine adjusts the timing. You do lose some power though. Octane (C8H18) is actually a real molecule. The "octane" scale means the percentage of octane the fuel behaves like. Heptane (C7H16) is the 0 point on the scale, it explodes under pressure, making it bad for internal combustion engines. Back in the 20's, gas averaged about 20% octane. This meant that engines could not have very high compression, and therefore fairly little power.

To get these high octane numbers (Aircraft gas is 100 octane), other chemicals are added to retard the explosiveness of heptane.

Diesel avoids all of these problems - it is ignited purely by pressure. It is also more efficient. Sadly, diesel cars are not widely available in the US.

I use the cheap gas in my expensive german sports car. It has gone 115,000 miles on it, still runs fine.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Timeline

Many newer cars (like mine) have a knock sensor, so if you use lower octane gas, the engine adjusts the timing. You do lose some power though. Octane (C8H18) is actually a real molecule. The "octane" scale means the percentage of octane the fuel behaves like. Heptane (C7H16) is the 0 point on the scale, it explodes under pressure, making it bad for internal combustion engines. Back in the 20's, gas averaged about 20% octane. This meant that engines could not have very high compression, and therefore fairly little power.

To get these high octane numbers (Aircraft gas is 100 octane), other chemicals are added to retard the explosiveness of heptane.

Diesel avoids all of these problems - it is ignited purely by pressure. It is also more efficient. Sadly, diesel cars are not widely available in the US.

I use the cheap gas in my expensive german sports car. It has gone 115,000 miles on it, still runs fine.

Yeah, where is my diesel rabbit when I need it? No power on hills, but 50+ mpg. With the price of fuel going up watch for more diesel vehicles in the US. Yeah, its funny my old 23+ german car runs fine on regular no lead, but this pickup, its a wonder, perhaps I should't of driven it in that high water a year ago?

Filed: Timeline

So for anyone who's thinking of using their bank's notary services for the I-134, here's what happened to me today when I went to Wells Fargo:

Called ahead of time to setup an appointment. Got there, handed the guy my I-134, and he's like "what's this?" I explain what it is, he asks a bunch of questions, and then said "well we're only allowed to notarize bank documents." So I said "I just spent 5 minutes telling you that this is an immigration form, and you just spent 5 minutes asking me questions about it. At what point did you realize this was not a bank document? Because I'm pretty sure that it would have taken any normal person less than 30 seconds to realize we were talking about immigration and not, say, my savings account." So he starts getting defensive and saying that he was just trying to ascertain how this was a bank document, blah blah. I said "nobody told me you only notarize bank documents, and I'm pretty annoyed that I drove all the way down here and wasted my lunch hour so you can question me on a document you had no intention of notarizing." I was really peeved. The guy knew from the start that he wouldn't be able to notarize it, and yet sat there and asked me all kinds of questions like why it needed to be notarized, what type of visa she was coming over on, when she was coming, etc. And it wasn't just friendly chit-chat either. He was posturing the whole time in a professional capacity, even though he was really just being nosy.

Left Wells Fargo and went down the street to the UPS Store where I've had stuff notarized before. I show the guy the I-134 and he says "oh, they changed the name of this form. It used to be called 'I-134 Affidavite of Support of Subsection blahdy blah...'" He just starts rattling off this huge title. So I said "so you've done a few of these huh?" He laughed and said "yeah, a few." He didn't ask a single question other than if the address on my license was my current address, I was in and out in 5 minutes, cost me $10.

Maybe I'm just getting old but putting all my money in my mattress is sounding better every time I have to deal with my bank.

So for anyone who's thinking of using their bank's notary services for the I-134, here's what happened to me today when I went to Wells Fargo:

Called ahead of time to setup an appointment. Got there, handed the guy my I-134, and he's like "what's this?" I explain what it is, he asks a bunch of questions, and then said "well we're only allowed to notarize bank documents." So I said "I just spent 5 minutes telling you that this is an immigration form, and you just spent 5 minutes asking me questions about it. At what point did you realize this was not a bank document? Because I'm pretty sure that it would have taken any normal person less than 30 seconds to realize we were talking about immigration and not, say, my savings account." So he starts getting defensive and saying that he was just trying to ascertain how this was a bank document, blah blah. I said "nobody told me you only notarize bank documents, and I'm pretty annoyed that I drove all the way down here and wasted my lunch hour so you can question me on a document you had no intention of notarizing." I was really peeved. The guy knew from the start that he wouldn't be able to notarize it, and yet sat there and asked me all kinds of questions like why it needed to be notarized, what type of visa she was coming over on, when she was coming, etc. And it wasn't just friendly chit-chat either. He was posturing the whole time in a professional capacity, even though he was really just being nosy.

Left Wells Fargo and went down the street to the UPS Store where I've had stuff notarized before. I show the guy the I-134 and he says "oh, they changed the name of this form. It used to be called 'I-134 Affidavite of Support of Subsection blahdy blah...'" He just starts rattling off this huge title. So I said "so you've done a few of these huh?" He laughed and said "yeah, a few." He didn't ask a single question other than if the address on my license was my current address, I was in and out in 5 minutes, cost me $10.

Maybe I'm just getting old but putting all my money in my mattress is sounding better every time I have to deal with my bank.

I was in my bank getting the bank documentation of account status for backup, and I asked them, "You wouldnt have a notary here would you" the guy says, "Yea, I am a notary". No questions, he threw the stamp on there and I was out! Must be those Wells Fargo guys. You should have told the guy, thanks for the favor, I will be back in the next week or two to clean out my account, have a nice day! :devil:

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Mox---I had a 134 notarized at my bank with no problem. It's a free service most banks offer and they'll notarize any kind of document. So...I think you met up with a real rookie notary or Wells Fargo is a "no frills" outfit. I'm asking myself how many bank documents need notarizing? Not sure even home equity loans require it, but maybe. In the old days car titles needed to be notarized when you sold a car but those days are long gone, at least in my area of the country.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hey, same here. I just walk into my local credit union and they'll pretty much notarize anything for free. This is almost always a free service where ever you keep funds.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Got our interview appointment, May 14!!

вут!!!

G...G...G...Giggity! AwRight!!

Edited by Bobalouie

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You sly dog, I knew that "e-mail" about Alla & Jeffery would get you ahead of us! :lol: Good for you Kirk! :dance:

Got our interview appointment, May 14!!

вут!!!

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.