BritishGuy36

New UK Police Certificate process for US visas - you MUST read this!

79 posts in this topic

I had my interview on the 23rd April and i got refused with a blue form and was told that i had to get the new police certificate, and all i had to do was send it off with my passport using the courier services, however i didnt get any welcome to amercia booklet or anything like that, they said i should still get my visa but i am stressin like crazy about if i am going to get and when i might get it as i am working to a bit of a time table because of my job.

Are you supposed to get a 'welcome to America booklet' upon finishing an interview? Never heard that following any successful interview posts before! Wizard I don't think you should stress over nothing. If I were in your position I would get on it pronto the sooner you do is the sooner you get your visa. I'm sure your employer will understand the urgency of this matter, or perhaps you could take a 'sickie' when it's time to go back to the embassy.. just my two cents.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks for your comments, i am sure its all gonna be ok, i am stressing for nothing i know it just seems i cant get a break at the moment. i wish i could take a sickie if i needed to, i have already sent the stuff off for the police certificate, just waiting now. Thanks again for your words of advice though.

Thanks for your comments, i am sure its all gonna be ok, i am stressing for nothing i know it just seems i cant get a break at the moment. i wish i could take a sickie if i needed to, i have already sent the stuff off for the police certificate, just waiting now. Thanks again for your words of advice though.

You'll be absolutely cool mate don't you worry you'll see!! I feel a sickie coming on soon, I may just book a sick day off next week :lol: haven't had one since february... let us know how you get on :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi Wizard...

Any updates about your police cert/ visa receipt?

My fiance's interview was April 21 and he were given a blue form and told to get the new certificate also. He got the new cert and sent it back via SMS Courier on April 29. Just wondering if they also told you it would only take five days?

We bought our tickets already and I'm stressing out a bit as well, thinking the visa won't get here before we're due to fly to the states!

Lesson learned - even when you think you're in the clear, it's better to do everything possible to make sure they have absolutely no reason to tell you 'not yet.'

10/31/2004 - Sam and Nic Met in Thailand

03/18/2007 - Sam Proposed in Ireland

07/01/2007 - Mailed I129F

07/27/2007 - NOA1 - Petition received

12/05/2007 - NOA2 - Petition Approved

01/04/2008 - NVC approved and sent file to London Embassy

01/15/2008 - Case file erroneously sent to Dublin Embassy

01/18/2008 - London Embassy requested case file be returned from Dublin Embassy

02/04/2008 - Faxed Dublin Embassy for status update, Received response that Dublin would fwd case file to London TODAY!

03/07/2008 - Packet 3 finally sent from London

03/24/2008 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy via recorded mail

04/09/2008 - Medical appointment

04/21/2008 - Interview - sent new police cert via SMS 04/28/08

still waiting....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Yup you're right, I sent my £10 away in November for the original certificate and had a letter back in March, yes 4 months later,saying I needed the other certificate, I was not amused,I thought I'd be with my husband by now at least, we have waited over a year now,and it seems like a lot of that is for nothing, we should have been told about this new superduper certificate (which cost £70 for a rush job and then I had my mother mail it to me by Fedex for a further £30). I was on a visitor visa in US while getting this done.

quote name='BritishGuy36' date='Feb 17 2008, 04:14 PM' post='1589800']

Hi all

Within the last week as I type this (somewhere in the middle of Feb 2008) the process by which you obtain a police certificate valid for application for a visa for entry into the US has CHANGED.

I cannot claim credit for this find as I only found out about it on another forum. Could a mod please make this sticky and perhaps link to the other forums or put a general note in the guides, as this is important.

The page on the US Embassy website detailing how you apply for a police certificate has changed. This page:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/iv/ukpc.html

...now gives a link to this page:

http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

...for obtaining a police certificate. This is a much faster process, but is more involved and you have to send them much more info and proof than you did before. It also appears to superceed and NULLIFY the previous "subject access application" process.

I have an email address from the letter I got from the police acknowledging my subject access request - I have emailed them asking for comment on this change.

For now, don't waste your £10 on the "old" method as it appears that the US consulate will no longer accept this kind of report for the purposes of visa applications.

If like me you are part-way through the I-130/visa process this is a bit of a nightmare, and it requires some clarification.

I will post back as I get more info.

BG36

Timeline
Hi Wizard...

Any updates about your police cert/ visa receipt?

My fiance's interview was April 21 and he were given a blue form and told to get the new certificate also. He got the new cert and sent it back via SMS Courier on April 29. Just wondering if they also told you it would only take five days?

We bought our tickets already and I'm stressing out a bit as well, thinking the visa won't get here before we're due to fly to the states!

Lesson learned - even when you think you're in the clear, it's better to do everything possible to make sure they have absolutely no reason to tell you 'not yet.'

Unfortunately i havent had any info back yet. i also sent mine off on the 29th April using the courier, the courier told me on th ephone that it would be 10 - 14 days. Was it the courier who told you it would be 5 days? i am stressing a little too as i have to go to work in a week or two, which involves international travel! i assume that you are using the london embassy?

Timeline

Yes, we're using the London Embassy - it was the interviewer who said it would take five days to process everything, so we'll see how it goes! I'll cross my fingers for you if you cross yours for us!

02/04/2008 - Faxed Dublin Embassy for status update, Received response that Dublin would fwd case file to London TODAY!

still waiting....

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Sam and Nic - same boat as you... interview on 21st April - blue form to submit new PC - SMS pikced it and passport up on 29th April.... and passport returned yesterday (7th May) with visa and 'do not open' immigration officer envelope :-)

Don't worry :-)

Jim

Timeline
Sam and Nic - same boat as you... interview on 21st April - blue form to submit new PC - SMS pikced it and passport up on 29th April.... and passport returned yesterday (7th May) with visa and 'do not open' immigration officer envelope :-)

Don't worry :-)

Jim

Just wondering did SMS text you the day before delivery??

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yes they did - around 4pm (you have to phone them by 5pm to upgrade to a time band delivery, e.g. before 10am).

I beleive they always try to deliver on the next working day after receiving the item from the embassy.

Turned up 9:45am on 7th May.

Jim (K3)

Timeline

Yay! Don't worry Wizard - we got ours yesterday (May 7) as well. SMS sent us a text the afternoon before. We didn't pay for the upgrade and it still got here by noon.

Good luck!

still waiting....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.