BritishGuy36

New UK Police Certificate process for US visas - you MUST read this!

79 posts in this topic

I thought K-1 was non-immigrant visa? I remember there being some confusion over the terminology when we first filed... Looks like I am going to have to get a new certificate after all... I am *SO* angry :angry:

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm - looking at one of the above links that says August 15th as the cut off date is hopeful... I am thinking if I print out that page along with my original certificate then I might be able to get away with it providing it is not more than 6months old... does that sound ok?

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

Grr... ok sorry for the multi-posting but now I am seeing the non-immigrant part... so where does it say about immigrant visas?!?!

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Why not get the new one as well and be on the safe side. It is hardly a world stopping problem.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

ANOTHER 35 quid???

Plus

"The back of your photograph needs to be signed by a person listed below.

This person is someone other than yourself or a family member who can confirm your identity and has known you for a minimum of 2 years.

Your chosen individual must:

1. Complete and sign the declaration on the application form.

2. Write “I certify this to be a true likeness of (your full name)” on the back of your photograph, which should be signed and dated.

"

ARE THEY INSANE????????? Where the hell do I find someone so silly to write that on the back of a PASSPORT-SIZE photo??? And I need to provide evidence that the person IS a barrister or whatever?

AND who the HECK is ACPO?? why not the standard access office?

I ordered my police certificate 'early' because I knew it would take 40 days or perhaps more. So, I've just wasted £10 and face another delay in receiving paperwork. Great!

Timeline

And what if you are NOT in the UK, but just lived there before and your interview is in another country? Will they check? will they not? Anyone has any info?

Someone on the BritishExpats forum just had their interview friday (for an immigrant visa application). He asked the consular officer when the subject access certificates will be accepted until, and the answer given was APRIL 15TH. So it looks like the 15th August date is nonesense - or maybe it just applies to non-immigrant visas.

So if you have your interview for an immigrant visa in London after April 15th, better get an ACPO certificate sorted.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
ARE THEY INSANE????????? Where the hell do I find someone so silly to write that on the back of a PASSPORT-SIZE photo??? And I need to provide evidence that the person IS a barrister or whatever?

The back of the photographs is to be endorsed in the same way a photograph for a UK passport is. Lots of people are silly enough to do it, I did it lots of times for people.

ACPO is the Association of Chief Police Officers

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Timeline

well, still a silly procedure all the same, you agree? ;-)

They have a copy of one's passport, why do they need to "endorse" it? And who endorses the endorser?? LOL :dance:

The back of the photographs is to be endorsed in the same way a photograph for a UK passport is. Lots of people are silly enough to do it, I did it lots of times for people.

ACPO is the Association of Chief Police Officers

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have an interview date in London for after April 15th?

If so, will you please inform us if you are going to attempt to use a subject access response? Then after the date perhaps you can report back with whether you were successful or not.

I am in contact with someone in my county police department by email about the situation, they are saying that the Embassy are saying that subject access is still good until August 15th.

My IR-1 Timeline:

2008-01-30: Mailed I-130 petition to USCIS London (DCF)

2008-02-04: Credit card debited $355

2008-02-07: NOA1 received - file date 4 Feb 2008

2008-04-19: NOA2 received - APPROVED (took 74 days)

2008-04-23: Packet 3 received

2008-04-28: Packet 3 (DS-230 Pt 1 and statement of readiness) mailed in

2008-04-28: Medical appointment booked

2008-05-13: Packet 4 received - interview in mid-June

2008-06-16: Medical - no apparent issues

2008-06-17: Visa interview - APPROVED - total 135 days from I-130 filing date

2008-06-23: Text message from SMS couriers - passport and MBE being delivered 2008-06-24

2008-06-24: Passport arrived along with MBE

~~~~~

Extended pause while we sold our house! (nightmare)

~~~~~

2008-11-18: Arrive in the USA - POE = EWR (Newark/Liberty Airport)

2008-11-25: Take 'written' (computer) knowledge test and 'skills' (driving) test - PASSED - license issued with expiry of just under one year*

2008-12-03: Purchase and insure car

2008-12-10: Receive title to car

2008-12-15: Go to BMV and get plates for car

2008-12-16: Receive Welcome to America letter (I-797C)

2008-12-20: Receive second Welcome to America letter (I-797C)

2008-12-26: Receive Green Card

Yes I have my interview April 30th. I plan to use the subject access report I got in January. Don't see the point in shelling out more money when it may not be required. If they do request I get the new police report, it will only add a few days to my case anyways.

Feb 2005 - Met online through brit band doves

Dec 15th 2005 - Met for first time at U2 concert in NE, USA

Apr 30 2008 K1 Interview Approved

Dec 11 2008 AOS approved

Dec 18 2008 Permanent Resident card received

Oct 22 2010 ROC NOA 1 Received

Jan 31 2011 ROC Approved

Doves Music Blog / Doves Official

Hi all

Within the last week as I type this (somewhere in the middle of Feb 2008) the process by which you obtain a police certificate valid for application for a visa for entry into the US has CHANGED.

I cannot claim credit for this find as I only found out about it on another forum. Could a mod please make this sticky and perhaps link to the other forums or put a general note in the guides, as this is important.

The page on the US Embassy website detailing how you apply for a police certificate has changed. This page:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/iv/ukpc.html

...now gives a link to this page:

http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

...for obtaining a police certificate. This is a much faster process, but is more involved and you have to send them much more info and proof than you did before. It also appears to superceed and NULLIFY the previous "subject access application" process.

I have an email address from the letter I got from the police acknowledging my subject access request - I have emailed them asking for comment on this change.

For now, don't waste your £10 on the "old" method as it appears that the US consulate will no longer accept this kind of report for the purposes of visa applications.

If like me you are part-way through the I-130/visa process this is a bit of a nightmare, and it requires some clarification.

I will post back as I get more info.

BG36

Thanks for this was just about to get the old one lined up now it seems i dont have to

Kris

I thought K-1 was non-immigrant visa? I remember there being some confusion over the terminology when we first filed... Looks like I am going to have to get a new certificate after all... I am *SO* angry :angry:

I am confused too! My case was completed on 17th march, certificate was issued on 4th feb.It was sent to nvc late feb-early march and was accepted. My case has been forwarded to the consulate and i have an interview date. sooooooooooooooo confusing! :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

D'oh!

Had my interview on 21st April for a K3 visa - I was happy in the knowledge that I had all the necessary supporting documents... "you can have the visa, but we need the new style police certificate before we can issue it".

They gave me a slip of paper saying where the new style PC can be obtained from and the number for the SMS couriers to phone when I have, so they can collect it and my passport :-o

The PC costs £35 for a 10-wording day turnaraound and £70 for 2 days! :-o

Lovely... but at least they gave me the "Welcome to the USA" booklet and said good luck with your new life in the US :-))

Jim

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well done! I got the old style one and then off the back of reading posts on this site I then got the new one done too. Hopefully all will go well for my Embassy interview on Monday!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I had my interview on the 23rd April and i got refused with a blue form and was told that i had to get the new police certificate, and all i had to do was send it off with my passport using the courier services, however i didnt get any welcome to amercia booklet or anything like that, they said i should still get my visa but i am stressin like crazy about if i am going to get and when i might get it as i am working to a bit of a time table because of my job.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.