Sanjiv Patel

Child Aging Out? CSPA may help

224 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

I need couple of information..

1.What's actually the date of immigration petition became current? Is this the date same as the Priority Date given on the approval notice letter?

2.According to the CSPA age calculator, length of my immigration(F2A category) petition pending time was 11months and 3 days, but I couldn't find anyone else with this much shorter pending period. And they approved my case and forwarded it to NVC back in May, 2006 after we showed USCIS all the proofs of relationship between me and my mother who is U.S. LPR .. and the case was filed on June 2005. My birth year is 1986.

3.According to the CSPA Age Calc, only if I am correct about the #1 thing that I mentioned above, my age for CSPA purposes is showing as 18 years 8months 23days. So it seems like I am almost 2years away from my 21st, and when we called NVC regarding this matter.. they are saying stuff like I'm not eligible for the CSPA. Is there anything we should do about it?

Please help me out with corrections and suggestions, and thanks a million in advance! :)

Filed: Timeline

1.What's actually the date of immigration petition became current? Is this the date same as the Priority Date given on the approval notice letter?

2.According to the CSPA age calculator, length of my immigration(F2A category) petition pending time was 11months and 3 days, but I couldn't find anyone else with this much shorter pending period. And they approved my case and forwarded it to NVC back in May, 2006 after we showed USCIS all the proofs of relationship between me and my mother who is U.S. LPR .. and the case was filed on June 2005. My birth year is 1986.

3.According to the CSPA Age Calc, only if I am correct about the #1 thing that I mentioned above, my age for CSPA purposes is showing as 18 years 8months 23days. So it seems like I am almost 2years away from my 21st, and when we called NVC regarding this matter.. they are saying stuff like I'm not eligible for the CSPA. Is there anything we should do about it?

Please help me out with corrections and suggestions, and thanks a million in advance! :)

Simply get a lawyer. You do qualify for CSPA. Why even youc alled them if you were alraedy in F2A categary.

Give some time line here.

When i-130 filled?

When you received approval?

your pty date?

list all dates here.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

1.What's actually the date of immigration petition became current? Is this the date same as the Priority Date given on the approval notice letter? No. Your petition does not become current on the Priority Date. The Priority Date ("PD") is when USCIS receives the petition for you. The PD becomes current at some future date (many years later) when a visa becomes available in a particular category. The current PD for the F2A category is Aug 15, 2005 for beneficiaries in most countries and June 15, 2003 for Mexicans. See the visa bulletin; http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin...letin_1360.html

2.According to the CSPA age calculator, length of my immigration(F2A category) petition pending time was 11months and 3 days, but I couldn't find anyone else with this much shorter pending period. And they approved my case and forwarded it to NVC back in May, 2006 after we showed USCIS all the proofs of relationship between me and my mother who is U.S. LPR .. and the case was filed on June 2005. My birth year is 1986. You did the calculation wrong. The day your PD became current in the F2A category is Nov. 1, 2009.

3.According to the CSPA Age Calc, only if I am correct about the #1 thing that I mentioned above, my age for CSPA purposes is showing as 18 years 8months 23days. So it seems like I am almost 2years away from my 21st, and when we called NVC regarding this matter.. they are saying stuff like I'm not eligible for the CSPA. Is there anything we should do about it? You did the calculation wrong. The day your PD became current in the F2A category is Nov. 1, 2009.

From the information you supplied. Your real age is 23 years old. The time it took USCIS to approve your petition is 11 months and 3 days. Your get to subtract the 11 months and 3 days from your real age on Nov. 1, 2009 (date your PD became current) to determine your CSPA age. Your CSPA age will be over 21. CSPA will not apply to you.

Filed: IR-2 Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Simply get a lawyer. You do qualify for CSPA. Why even youc alled them if you were alraedy in F2A categary.

Give some time line here.

When i-130 filled? : June 2005

When you received approval? : May 2006

your pty date? : At first I thought it's actually the date given on the approval letter which was on June 2006, but I just got know from Aaron2020 that I did the calculation wrong, It's actually on Nov 2009 which is just couple days ahead and that's how I aged out for the CSPA purpose.

list all dates here.

1.What's actually the date of immigration petition became current? Is this the date same as the Priority Date given on the approval notice letter? No. Your petition does not become current on the Priority Date. The Priority Date ("PD") is when USCIS receives the petition for you. The PD becomes current at some future date (many years later) when a visa becomes available in a particular category. The current PD for the F2A category is Aug 15, 2005 for beneficiaries in most countries and June 15, 2003 for Mexicans. See the visa bulletin; http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin...letin_1360.html

2.According to the CSPA age calculator, length of my immigration(F2A category) petition pending time was 11months and 3 days, but I couldn't find anyone else with this much shorter pending period. And they approved my case and forwarded it to NVC back in May, 2006 after we showed USCIS all the proofs of relationship between me and my mother who is U.S. LPR .. and the case was filed on June 2005. My birth year is 1986. You did the calculation wrong. The day your PD became current in the F2A category is Nov. 1, 2009.

3.According to the CSPA Age Calc, only if I am correct about the #1 thing that I mentioned above, my age for CSPA purposes is showing as 18 years 8months 23days. So it seems like I am almost 2years away from my 21st, and when we called NVC regarding this matter.. they are saying stuff like I'm not eligible for the CSPA. Is there anything we should do about it? You did the calculation wrong. The day your PD became current in the F2A category is Nov. 1, 2009.

From the information you supplied. Your real age is 23 years old. The time it took USCIS to approve your petition is 11 months and 3 days. Your get to subtract the 11 months and 3 days from your real age on Nov. 1, 2009 (date your PD became current) to determine your CSPA age. Your CSPA age will be over 21. CSPA will not apply to you.

Are you sure there's gonna be no other ways in my case? It's just the matter that's bothering me right now is that I didn't even have a single piece of clue about this CSPA rule while I was aging out and then finally aged out. I just heard about it few days back *sigh*.. Anyway, thanks a lot for correcting my wrong CSPA calculations.

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
choice of agent...

our pd is 18 may 2000 for F4 visa.

now its sept 1999 in dec...

can anybody suggest whn will we get our choice of agent??

hi praharsh,

my uncle having pd 24thjan,2000 has received his agent choice letter...my mom has the same pd..but i received an email from nvc that my case is under review of child status protection act so they will send the papers only after the decision regaRding the applicability is made...i am damn sure that they will rule it in my favour...i mean i think that i m well protected under cspa coz m 22 right now and it took 5 years and 5 months for my moms petiition to get approved i.e, receipt daTE 27th jan 2000, approval date 22nd june 2005...

so its better if u send them ur email address they will contact you immediately as soon as ur pd crosses the so called qualifying date. but u will have to wait just as me dear coz even u r under cspa...if i m not wrong...k??so i wil kep on informin you about my case stAtus...k?

ds-3032 received by email : 9th dec,2009

emailed ds-3032 : 10th dec,2009

mailed ds-3032 : 12th dec,2009

aos fee bill : 9th dec,2009

aos fee shows paid : 14th dec,2009

iv fee bill : 23rd dec,2009

iv fee paid : 23rd dec,2009

iv fee coversheet downloaded : 24th dec,2009

case completed : march 15,2010 and then april 2,2010 again...strange confirmed with operator.

sign in failed : 20th april,2010

interview date assigned on : 29th april,2010.

interview date : 18th june,2010 bombay consulate

event.png

Filed: Country: India
Timeline
choice of agent...

hi praharsh,

my uncle having pd 24thjan,2000 has received his agent choice letter...my mom has the same pd..but i received an email from nvc that my case is under review of child status protection act so they will send the papers only after the decision regaRding the applicability is made...i am damn sure that they will rule it in my favour...i mean i think that i m well protected under cspa coz m 22 right now and it took 5 years and 5 months for my moms petiition to get approved i.e, receipt daTE 27th jan 2000, approval date 22nd june 2005...

so its better if u send them ur email address they will contact you immediately as soon as ur pd crosses the so called qualifying date. but u will have to wait just as me dear coz even u r under cspa...if i m not wrong...k??so i wil kep on informin you about my case stAtus...k?

hiii

oky, dats gr8........ so when did ur uncle get choice of agent letter means 1 -2 months back or recently....??

further, i cant understand wht u hv written... u received mail means did u contact NVC for CSPA or they directly contacted u?? i hv d same case....pending is 5 yrs and i have just completed 21....PD is 18 may 2000.........

lastly, plz give me ur e mail id...mine is shah_praharsh@yahoo.com.......send me a mail ....

Timeline
choice of agent...

hi praharsh,

hiii

oky, dats gr8........ so when did ur uncle get choice of agent letter means 1 -2 months back or recently....??

further, i cant understand wht u hv written... u received mail means did u contact NVC for CSPA or they directly contacted u?? i hv d same case....pending is 5 yrs and i have just completed 21....PD is 18 may 2000.........

lastly, plz give me ur e mail id...mine is shah_praharsh@yahoo.com.......send me a mail ....

my email is the_nesh316@yahoo.co.in and ya i had sent them a mail regarding my mothers case on 15th november..but it was just a general inquiry nothing specific about cspa...my uncle received the docs on 3rd december...i called nvc on 4th dec they told me that my case is under review for cspa so they havent send ne docs.....then i received a reply of my email which i had sent on 15th nov and in that it said that my case is under review and i need to wait until decision is made on the case...will kep on informing you praharsh...dont worry...i will kep on posting the progress of my case

case completed : march 15,2010 and then april 2,2010 again...strange confirmed with operator.

event.png

Filed: Country: India
Timeline
choice of agent...

hi praharsh,

hiii

my email is the_nesh316@yahoo.co.in and ya i had sent them a mail regarding my mothers case on 15th november..but it was just a general inquiry nothing specific about cspa...my uncle received the docs on 3rd december...i called nvc on 4th dec they told me that my case is under review for cspa so they havent send ne docs.....then i received a reply of my email which i had sent on 15th nov and in that it said that my case is under review and i need to wait until decision is made on the case...will kep on informing you praharsh...dont worry...i will kep on posting the progress of my case

hey thnx nesh, the things are very critical and waiting is just KILLING.............!!!

can u hv any idea aftr one get choice of agent, whn he can hv visa date means if he sends all doc properly, within 3 months, is it possible to get visa or vl it take more time?

I am from Gujarat, r u from??

Timeline
choice of agent...

hi praharsh,

hiii

hey thnx nesh, the things are very critical and waiting is just KILLING.............!!!

can u hv any idea aftr one get choice of agent, whn he can hv visa date means if he sends all doc properly, within 3 months, is it possible to get visa or vl it take more time?

I am from Gujarat, r u from??

its upto u man...the only thing that bothers us gujratis is the police clearance...nothing much...start gathering all the docs once u receive the agent choice letter...if everything goes well without ne rfe then surely u wud get visa within 3 months...and ya i m gujju...staying at baroda...i have waitin like u hve been....its absolutely frustrating.....

event.png

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am new to this forum....i have a question... my grandfather filled I-130 form for my mother and now when documents came ...i am over 21 years ....

so cspa can help me or not...

the dates are

Received Date : 9 May 2001

Approval Date : 3 April 2003 (i didnt know abt the approval date...but i found on this site https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/Dashboard.do,when i entered my receipt number,its a website for checking status)

Received the letter for appointing the attorney and payment of affidavit fees on : 21 Aug 2009

Letter for the payment of Immigrant Payment Visa Fess received on : 29 October 2009

We have just send immigrant visa fees ...for my rest of the family...

so plz advice what can i do?

thnx

More i study about CSPA, more i get confused.

I believe CSPA applied for both:

1. US Citizen (or who become US citizen in the process) and

2. Permanent Resident (Green card holder)

My mom is a permanent resident since 2006 living in Los Angeles, CA. She filled I-130 (2A Category) (Unmarried child under 21 of Permanent Resident) for my sister who is living in Bangladesh. But she is age-out due to the lengthy process of USCIS. Bellow is the detail:

Her (Principle Applicant) Date of Birth: September 1988

Filed I-130 on February 27, 2006 (Priority Date) (She is 17y, 5m)

USCIS Receipt date: March 3rd, 2006

After 3 years and 1 month-

USCIS approved her case on: March 27th, 2009 (She is now 20y 6m)

After 9 months-

NVC visa became available on: January 1st, 2010 (She is now 21y 4m)

Received notice from NVC on Jan 8th, 2010, requesting 70$ for Affidavit of support fees and choice of agent)

(In the notice, NVC also informed me that "Children who pass 21 years of age after the petition was originally approved by the USCIS become ineligible to accompany or join the applicant immigrating to the United States under the original petition. In some situation, the Child Status Protection Act may allow children to remain eligible beyond 21 years of age. If you believe that the CSPA applied to this case, please send a detail explanation to the NVC. We will forward it to the U.S. Embassy for a decision".

According to my calculation (By using the formula), even though she (My sister) is over 21 years of age now, under CSPA law- she is now just little over 18 years old.

My main question are:

1. Is CSPA applied for my sister since my mother is just a permanent resident (LPR)?

2. How CSPR effects differently if the parents

A. US Citizen?

B. Lawful Permanent Resident?

For question# 2, i found-out from "2009 American Lawyers Association" that- CSPA freezes the age of children of US Citizen's (IR's) on the date I-130 petition filed. On the other hand- CSPA freezes age of the children of LPR's (2A's) on the date priority date becomes current for the 2A category. If this is true- there are huge difference in-between two. This way- LPR's are not getting any benefits from the time they've lost for USCIS's lengthy processing time.

Thanks all in advance for your valuable time and thought.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

my CSPA is approved. my visa category retained to f2a. thank you for the advices. it did help me a lot. we consulted a immigration specialist here in the philippines and have a computation and luckily im still covered in the CSPA. i got my interview packet already. hoping to have my visa approved.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi...

My father and our family was petitioned by my uncle (US Citizen) back in 1987. I was born on 1989 and the petition was subsequently updated.

I'm not sure what date it was approved though (we live in the Philippines). Last year, around October 2009, the petition became current and we would finally be able to apply. However, my 2 older brothers were not there anymore since they are 24 and 26 already at that time.

I'm 20 right now and i'm turning 21 this February 11. Our interview at the US Embassy would supposedly be on Feb 3 (Wednesday).

I'm wondering, do I really have to go to the US before I turn 21? I think there's a possibility that I won't get the VISA that fast and besides, I'm currently enrolled in college. I can't just leave my studies.

Also, is there a possibility that my brothers may still be eligible for US immigration despite ours being on the last step already [interview]?

Thank you. I hope to get feedback on this matter :D Much appreciated!

Hi...

My father and our family was petitioned by my uncle (US Citizen) back in 1987. I was born on 1989 and the petition was subsequently updated.

I'm not sure what date it was approved though (we live in the Philippines). Last year, around October 2009, the petition became current and we would finally be able to apply. However, my 2 older brothers were not there anymore since they are 24 and 26 already at that time.

I'm 20 right now and i'm turning 21 this February 11. Our interview at the US Embassy would supposedly be on Feb 3 (Wednesday).

I'm wondering, do I really have to go to the US before I turn 21? I think there's a possibility that I won't get the VISA that fast and besides, I'm currently enrolled in college. I can't just leave my studies.

Also, is there a possibility that my brothers may still be eligible for US immigration despite ours being on the last step already [interview]?

Thank you. I hope to get feedback on this matter :D Much appreciated!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.