DeadPoolX

The Gun Control Debate

428 posts in this topic

I quite clearly stated that I believe christians who think it's ok to use guns for personal defence are hypocrits. Someone then pointed to some quote they thought justified the use of guns for that purpose and I merely posted the counter-argument. I really don't see how that is at all confusing.

I have not stated whether a 'good christian' may or may not own a gun.

Well, thank you for the clarification.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think thats second testament stuff. First testament, no problem.

IR1

April 14, 2004 I-130 NOA1

April 25, 2005 IR1 Received

April 26, 2005 POE Dorval Airport

May 13, 2005 Welcome to America Letters Received

May 21, 2005 PR Card in Mail

May 26, 2005 Applied for SSN at local office

June 06, 2005 SSN Received

June 11, 2005 Driver Licence Issued!

June 20, 2005 Deb gets a Check Card! Just like Donald Trump's!

Citizenship

Jan 30, 2008 N400 Mailed off to the VSC!

Feb 2, 2008 N400 Received at VSC

Feb 6, 2008 Check Cashed!

Feb 13, 2008 NOA1 Received

Feb 15, 2008 Fingerprint letter received. (Feb 26th scheduled)

Feb 18, 2008 Mailed out the old Please Reschedule us for Biometics <sigh>...

Feb 27, 2008 Received the new scheduled biometrics.

Mar 15, 2008 Biometrics Rescheduled.

Sep 18, 2008 Interview Letter Recieved.

Nov 11, 2008 Interview Passed :-).

Nov 14, 2008 Oath Cerimony.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I quite clearly stated that I believe christians who think it's ok to use guns for personal defence are hypocrits. Someone then pointed to some quote they thought justified the use of guns for that purpose and I merely posted the counter-argument. I really don't see how that is at all confusing.

still trying to stuff people in pigeon holes i see.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

A hypocrite is someone who says one thing publicly but then does the opposite. For instance, if someone preaches against prostitution, but then secretly uses the services of a prostitute, that would be hypocracy. How exactly is it hypocritical for a Christian to believe it is ok to use guns for personal defence? Do you believe self-defense is un-Christian?

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Reverting to written coloquialisms I see.

However, back to topic. I don't see how I can be more clear. Gun ownership and use of a gun for self defence are actually two quite seperate issues.

I believe self defence with the use of a gun is against the doctrine of christianity, specifically the teachings of christ as I understand them.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

However, back to topic. I don't see how I can be more clear. Gun ownership and use of a gun for self defence are actually two quite seperate issues.

I believe self defence with the use of a gun is against the doctrine of christianity, specifically the teachings of christ as I understand them.

Meaning if someone is trying to rape you, steal your possessions, kill you or your family, you should simply "turn the other cheek". I am sorry but I think you are very seriously taking what Jesus was saying out of context. Jesus was not referring to self defense but to someone insulting you. If someone insults you (specifically, is persecuting you for your religion), turn the other cheek and do not lash back out against them. You will be a much better example of Christianity if you do not attack them back just as the way Christ lost his own life because of religious persecution.

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe."

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!

Also, there is a large difference between revenge and defending oneself when an attack is actually occurring. It is up to the state to punish a criminal but that does not mean that I must sit by idly and allow myself to be the victim of an attack, regardless of how I choose to stop the attack (gun, knife, sword, fists of fury, take your pick).

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!

Timeline

Which teachings are those, specifically?

Our timeline:

Our Photos

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Timeline
Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe."

Just to put that verse into context .......adding verse 22, from The Message.

21-22"When a strong man, armed to the teeth, stands guard in his front yard, his property is safe and sound. But what if a stronger man comes along with superior weapons? Then he's beaten at his own game, the arsenal that gave him such confidence hauled off, and his precious possessions plundered.

So, I am curious, am I a bad Christian for not wanting a gun in my house for self-defense / protection?

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline

21-22"When a strong man, armed to the teeth, stands guard in his front yard, his property is safe and sound. But what if a stronger man comes along with superior weapons? Then he's beaten at his own game, the arsenal that gave him such confidence hauled off, and his precious possessions plundered.

So, I am curious, am I a bad Christian for not wanting a gun in my house for self-defense / protection?

No, you are not; I don't think anyone is claiming that. But the idea that using a gun for self defense is un-Christian also has no basis in Scripture. Btw, that passage has nothing to do with the question of whether it is right to have arms to defend one's home. Jesus was talking about something else entirely. He was answering the charge that he was casting out demons by Beelzebub.

Our timeline:

Our Photos

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Timeline

No, you are not; I don't think anyone is claiming that. But the idea that using a gun for self defense is un-Christian also has no basis in Scripture. Btw, that passage has nothing to do with the question of whether it is right to have arms to defend one's home. Jesus was talking about something else entirely. He was answering the charge that he was casting out demons by Beelzebub.

aye, I went and checked it out, but chose to complete the thought with the following verse rather than to get into all what Jesus was talking about at that particular time.

and just to be clear, my belief in not having a gun in my house for protection is not rooted in my Christian faith.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

When did this turn quasi-religious? Regardless, the good thing is those of us who believe in arming ourselves can do so at will, while those who believe in whatever else are also free to do whatever it is you wish.

That is the best thing about America. At this point in time we have a right to own arms if we wish. If it all goes to heck, well then, to each their own.

Try nailing me to a cross and i will shoot your #######. Is that christian enough for ya?

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I dunno - I think bringing Christianity into the mix is a bit of a red herring. Plenty of people identify themselves as Christian, Muslim or whatever and then go on to do things that are quite separate from the ideals of their faith. Put simply, people lie, cheat and sin all the time (some folks who identify themselves as Christian prove themselves to be les "Christian" than self-proclaim atheists. Comes down to individual conscience and character - an inevitable part of the process really.

I don't think banning guns is a particularly good idea, not given their context in current US history. By that I don't mean the constitutional argument as I think that's rather overused (again given that it is essentially a retread of similar legislation in the British bill of rights) but rather the sociological conditions in some US cities. I can see why a person would want a weapon for self-defence in a city with a high crime-rate.

That said - I am worried about the cavalier attitudes taken by the NRA to sensible suggestions - like the now-defunct Assault Weapons bill. Their gung-ho attitude does more harm than good IMO - that and of course they represent the friendly public face of the arms industry and related lobby groups.