490 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Faby I got sick of dealing with the wait. I called up USCIS and they gave me the new reciept number for the green card. They had to speak with my wife and have her give me permission to talk about the case. But they gave me the new number, i keyed it in the system and set up email alerts. It showes that on Nov 5 2010 they have recieved the Form OS155A, IMMIGRANT VISA AND ALIEN REGISTRATION

. And today it is now showing they ordered the green card. This is when USCIS makes the card, and at the same time sends the information to SSA to issue the Social Security Number. I would recommend having your husband read this packet from USCIS. Welcome To America This isnt the little letter you get, this is the big packet. It explains things from getting jobs, to how to get your citizenship. Its full of information about the USA and I found things I didnt even know of!!! Its a very useful book. In 3 years my wife can apply for her citizenship! And she wont even need a green card anymore. Also my in-laws are planning to come down here for 3 months. So I hope they get their tourist visas. Ill let yall know how that went.

Timeline

Ooh and to point things out, my wife was robbes at gun point. They took her blackberry I just got her from Tmobile and shipped there. I called up some military contacts and they couldnt do anything. They told me the ####### going on in Mexico is crazy compaired to Ecuador. And they are not granting Mexicans refugee status only in extreme cases. But the norm is for some one to be arrested for a long time in hopes they back out of the refugee claim. It happened to a mexican reporter who made an article about the drug cartels. It took him 9 or 10 months of being locked up before he got his refugee status. People were actually trying to kill this guy. So I mean refugee status is for really bad situations. ###### people in NYC get robbed at gunpoint on a daily basis. Thats why I live in Upsate NY

Timeline

Hello!

I am still waiting for approval for my I-129F here in California but I do have some questions about the consulate process.

I know my fiance is supposed to get the medical done before we schedule an appointment at the consulate but I want to know how long is it good before it expires? Should he wait for us to get the NOA2 before he gets the medical done? I'm hoping to make the appointment scheduling happen as quickly as possible because I have only limited times that I can go down to visit him. I also saw that some people got their appointments scheduled much faster (and cheaper) via email than with the $12 pin line. I would like for the appointment to happen before my semester starts in January so I don't miss any classes. (NOA1 date 7/16 so it might happen), and I'm hoping I can email them and schedule it during that time.

Is it true that I should not contact them until after my petition has been sent from the NVC? They won't know who I am or have anything to tell me if I do, correct?

Also, I'm wondering about contacting my congress person. It is somewhat dangerous for my fiance where he is right now and I don't have any way to help him. I just want him to come here and be safe and I don't know how to get our packet expedited or if we could even qualify... I went to Ecuador last week to visit him and it was so difficult to walk into the Airport to come home. What can I do?

Thanks for your help :-)

Malia

I believe the medical exam is only good for 10 days. They do a battery of tests and have you answer questions on a sheet. Like have you ever thought about killing yourself and stuff like that. To get the medical exam you need the appointment letter. My wife called and had the medical exam the next day. They require 1 passport picture, a copy of the appointment letter. My best suggestion to you is download the shot requirement from my older post or off the dept of state website. Have your fiancée get all the shots required and get the certificates from a private doctor to present to the consulates doctor. Also I believe with the K3 or K1 visa since you are in the states they will schedule the visa for you. It’s dependent on the NVC how they process your case. With my case the NVC handled everything for me. Don’t contact anyone until you have to. It’s an automatic process; the USCIS processes your case. Then they submit it to the NVC they finish the processing and then send it to the consulate by Mail. Allow enough time for the consulate to get your case before that. In most cases the nvc will email you the information.

One thing to look out for is the NVC will mail or email you a sheet to appoint your agent. That is who you want the information to be sent to. The NVC is great because they do most of the stuff by email. So you will get updates as soon as it processes. It took me a little bit approx 2 weeks to get the NVC to finish my papers. Ecuador isn’t that bad now, the martial law is over. I went when they were still protesting as well as Faby. Its not bad anymore. But Its a long time and its a waiting game. Just make sure you follow the stuff they give you. Also be prepared to marry your spouse within 90 days..

My recommendation is to file for the work permission as soon as yall get to the USA. And then once you get that form you will have to goto your local Social Security Admin Office and apply for the SSN. This way he can work. Also after your fiancée and you get married its time to file the adjustment of status, they say the work permission is included if you do the adjustment of status. Its true but you have to wait. This way if you apply for that when you first get there then it’ll help you. It costs 300 more. But let me explain why.

If you wait for the adjustment of status, to apply for the work permission it will take 4 months or 3 months to process. This means you will have to use your own income for the Affidavit of Support and a co-sponsor if required.

If you get the work permission before the adjustment of status, you can get a job and work, and when you file the adjustment of status that income from the intending immigrant can be used for the adjustment of status combined with the spouses. If you read the instructions on the affidavit of support it states you can use an intending immigrant’s income if the same source of income applies once he or she is in the USA. Well if yall already in USA under the fiancée visa then that would apply to you.

Also say your fiancée and u brake up. Well guess what? You are legally responsible for that person for 10 yrs as stated in the Affidavit of Support. There have been 2 cases brought to the Supreme Court which won. So just wanted to throw that out there. Getting divorced does not end your commitment to that person for 10 years. Only if they become a US Citizen, and or leave the USA.

This is a very serious thing, and should be treated as such. You can find most answers online, use Google. It’s a very helpful thing. Just look at the date of people's posts and stuff. Make sure you see current stuff. Not some postings from 1995... Also the fee to adjust status is $1010 this is in addition to every other fee you may have paid up until now.

I guess if the NVC does the fee collection (send you a bill) then they will schedule the appointment for you. I have seen 2 different processing ways for immigrant visa petitions, or non immigrant visa petitions. The medical exam is $110 which has to be paid in cash to the provider. There are only 2 in Guayaquil, and some in Quito.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I believe the medical exam is only good for 10 days. They do a battery of tests and have you answer questions on a sheet. Like have you ever thought about killing yourself and stuff like that. To get the medical exam you need the appointment letter. My wife called and had the medical exam the next day. They require 1 passport picture, a copy of the appointment letter. My best suggestion to you is download the shot requirement from my older post or off the dept of state website. Have your fiancée get all the shots required and get the certificates from a private doctor to present to the consulates doctor. Also I believe with the K3 or K1 visa since you are in the states they will schedule the visa for you. It’s dependent on the NVC how they process your case. With my case the NVC handled everything for me. Don’t contact anyone until you have to. It’s an automatic process; the USCIS processes your case. Then they submit it to the NVC they finish the processing and then send it to the consulate by Mail. Allow enough time for the consulate to get your case before that. In most cases the nvc will email you the information.

First off, thank you so much for your response. I appreciate you helping me out. I am going to have my fiance call the doctors in Quito to find out how long the medical is good for, I think it's different for different visas. I do know that k-1 visas are not required to get immunizations (I think that you do need them for AOS though, and it might be cheaper to just get them in Ecuador).

Regarding the appointment letter, I also read on VJ that if I email them with our case number, once our case is at the consulate, they will respond saying we can set up an appointment, and that response counts as the appointment letter. I heard it can take months for it to arrive in the mail, especially in rural areas (like where my fiance lives). I didn't realize I needed that letter at the medical though, so I can see we should definitely call and see what's up.

Regarding not contacting anyone "until you have to". This is the opposite opinion of what everyone else has told me, and it surprised me a lot that you said it. I have heard that if you don't call you could be waiting for months por gusto- for nothing. I'm already sick of the waiting, I'm not going to let it go on any longer than it has to... though I suppose if I was with Patricio now I wouldn't care so much about the paperwork and I would let NVC or whoever take their time.

One thing to look out for is the NVC will mail or email you a sheet to appoint your agent. That is who you want the information to be sent to. The NVC is great because they do most of the stuff by email. So you will get updates as soon as it processes. It took me a little bit approx 2 weeks to get the NVC to finish my papers. Ecuador isn’t that bad now, the martial law is over. I went when they were still protesting as well as Faby. Its not bad anymore. But Its a long time and its a waiting game. Just make sure you follow the stuff they give you. Also be prepared to marry your spouse within 90 days..

Regarding getting updates by email: Unfortunately, my case number is not recognized by the USCIS.com system. I called, and what they say is this. Because of the influx of applications during June and July, many people don't have their receipt number logged into the online case status. They have my case, it's registered, I just don't get the benefits of emails and case updates. :(

My recommendation is to file for the work permission as soon as yall get to the USA. And then once you get that form you will have to go to your local Social Security Admin Office and apply for the SSN. This way he can work. Also after your fiancée and you get married its time to file the adjustment of status, they say the work permission is included if you do the adjustment of status. Its true but you have to wait. This way if you apply for that when you first get there then it’ll help you. It costs 300 more. But let me explain why.

If you wait for the adjustment of status, to apply for the work permission it will take 4 months or 3 months to process. This means you will have to use your own income for the Affidavit of Support and a co-sponsor if required.

If you get the work permission before the adjustment of status, you can get a job and work, and when you file the adjustment of status that income from the intending immigrant can be used for the adjustment of status combined with the spouses. If you read the instructions on the affidavit of support it states you can use an intending immigrant’s income if the same source of income applies once he or she is in the USA. Well if yall already in USA under the fiancée visa then that would apply to you.

Good idea, that $300 should get made up in the difference of having him working for 3 months too.

Also say your fiancée and u brake up. Well guess what? You are legally responsible for that person for 10 yrs as stated in the Affidavit of Support. There have been 2 cases brought to the Supreme Court which won. So just wanted to throw that out there. Getting divorced does not end your commitment to that person for 10 years. Only if they become a US Citizen, and or leave the USA.

This is a very serious thing, and should be treated as such. You can find most answers online, use Google. It’s a very helpful thing. Just look at the date of people's posts and stuff. Make sure you see current stuff. Not some postings from 1995... Also the fee to adjust status is $1010 this is in addition to every other fee you may have paid up until now.

Thanks for throwing that out there, but I would not be spending hundreds (thousands) of dollars and years of time and paperwork on this visa if I did not think our relationship was a very serious thing. I am aware of my financial and legal responsibilities, as one should be before filing the first form.

I-129F package sent: Jul 7th 2010

Package received at CSC: Jul 9th 2010

NOA1: Jul 16th 2010

NOA2: Nov 30th 2010

Packet 4 letter received: Dec 27th 2010

Medical done: Jan 3rd 2011

Interview: Jan 24th 2011 - APPROVED!!

Passport with K-1 visa received: Jan 29th 2011

POE: Feb 2nd 2011 in Houston, TX - cleared without problems :-)

Married!: May 2nd 2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thank you to all of you for your replies. I'm disappointed about the consulate not caring about anyone's schedules but not surprised. Also not surprised about the refugee status... I hate this waiting it's killing me. us. gah.

Going to call the doctors about the medical on Monday.

I-129F package sent: Jul 7th 2010

Package received at CSC: Jul 9th 2010

NOA1: Jul 16th 2010

NOA2: Nov 30th 2010

Packet 4 letter received: Dec 27th 2010

Medical done: Jan 3rd 2011

Interview: Jan 24th 2011 - APPROVED!!

Passport with K-1 visa received: Jan 29th 2011

POE: Feb 2nd 2011 in Houston, TX - cleared without problems :-)

Married!: May 2nd 2011

Timeline

Faby I used the Military Help Line for me, but you can get the same results with the National Customer Service Center...

@ 1800-375-5283.

Listen to the options, you will hear some options about calling regarding a pending case, then it will ask you if you have ur rct number. Wait to hear the one you dont have it, and then the one where you lost it. This will get you right to a ISO Officer. Tell him your husband was recently admitted to the USA, and you have failed to get the Welcome To America letter. You would like to get the status and recipt number for the ordering of the " Green Card" , and tell them your husband is right next to you so he can grant you permission to talk about the case.

Once he gets to America its no longer your case its his. They black walled me a few times because I would call at work, but I called them again with my wife and they gave me everything. It took 6 days for them to approve the stuff and request her card to be ordered.

:Your Current Case Status for Form OS155A, IMMIGRANT VISA AND ALIEN REGISTRATION

On November 12, 2010, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you. If we need something from you we will contact you. If you move before you receive the card, call customer service at 1-800-375-5283.

:

This is when the USCIS will foward the stuff to SSA to order the SSN. So I am going to check on that next week. You have to call your local Social Security Admin. Office to check the status.

Timeline

Maliajannah

The consulate has been recently pushing for people to pay the $12.00 b.s to talk about cases. But you still have to do the NVC Processing. So there really is no need to contact the consulate. For most cases (Excluding DCF) the NVC will handle appointment scheduling. So again, there is really no point to call the embassy. And your case number is something the NVC will give you. Not the receipt number, so keep that in mind. Once USCIS approves your petition they no longer have jurisdiction over your case, it becomes the Department of State’s problem. But on the good side, the NVC is a very well rounded team of people. I have a little issue and was fixed rather quickly, and processing time took not as long as I thought. They are more responsive to questions than USCIS. Also you can email the NVC and contact them that way.

You are correct, K1 & K3 visas do not require shots, and the AOS they do need them.

Another thing is, screw the DHL. That is a bunch of #######. I told the consulate I am picking my visa up at the consulate. I didn’t feel like waiting 1 week for DHL to deliver the stuff. So the next day after the interview, I called the consulate and told them I want to pick up her visa. I already had tickets purchased for a time to leave. He put me on hold, he told me verify her name and then he said well today is Friday Monday is a holiday come here Tuesday and you can pick it up. Tuesday morning I was there the security guards let me in and we got her passport. Now they don’t do this for everyone, so don’t assume just because I did it means everyone else can do it.

It’s a lot of waiting, but remember the most important thing is to review all of your paperwork once it’s submitted. Also once you get the information from the NVC to appoint an agent, you can have your fiancée appoint you as the agent. This way any letters and important information would get sent to you in a US address or via email. (Mostly Email).

I had 1 problem with the NVC, they denied my CO-sponsors birth certificate for the affidavit of support. The issue being is since he was born in Puerto Rico, the government of Puerto Rico made a law that would invalidate all PBCR’s ( Puerterican Birth Certificates). Later on they changed that law, but I guess the NVC didn’t get the memo. I contacted my congressmen, and sent a letter with all the information about that law. The PBCR was still good, and they were requesting a new one anyways. Well on the Dept of State’s website it showed they were still accepting PBCR to obtain US Passports. So the NVC should accept that also since they are part of the DOS. Anyways I called the visa number for the Department of State and spoke with a supervisor. She asked me a few questions, so I could tell her the law.

She wanted me to fax her this and that. I told her look you have an internet system. So I told her which key words to Google, and she found everything I was saying and seen it was on official .gov websites. So basically it’s like the procedure. It wasn’t off some hack website with wrong information. It was on their own websites. She told me she would speak with her boss and she then asked me if I had the supervisor’s information for the NVC. That night at like 11:30pm I got a phone call telling me they have accepted my PCBR and it will be updated the following morning. I called the system the next day and boom it was done. A week later I got the appointment letter.

I needed a co-sponsor because for the better part of a year I lived off my savings while I lived in Ecuador with my wife. So I didn’t work @ all. But it was fun, I have been to Ecuador 5 times in the past year. I was living on Tourist Visas and Family Reunification visas. My lawyer in Guayaquil got me a few extensions, and the Ecuadorian Consulate in NYC was really helpful at granting me visas.

I must say, living in a different country has been really cool! I’ve seen beaches after beaches and ate some crazy things. My friend is from Azogues and he lived in NY until he left last year. That’s why I ended up going to Ecuador to begin with. I have to say CUY isn’t as bad as I thought!

Timeline

Wow okay so yesterday I got the Welcome To America letter, it was issued Nov 12 2010, Today we just got her Permanent Resident Card!!!! They fixed her last name, and it shows my last name :) So yeay~!!!! Ehrm we still havent gotten the approval notice yet. Monday morning we are going to visit the local Social Security Admin office and see if anything was issued, if not they can order it there!! They told me some times USCIS takes their time sharing the information. But once we get the green card in hand then we can go down and see whats up. Now keep inmind if your name isnt different you can just go there with the stamp in your passport. But my wife's name on her passport is one thing, and the name that we want on her green card is my last name. So untill we had a document with the name on it ( her green card) we couldnt do anything. But now you go there, bring the documents they require and thats it. they order it there if its not already been ordered by USCIS. But hey you can go and check, it doesnt hurt. They tell you what is required or if one has already been issued for you.

Social Security Numbers and Immigrant Visas- Information

Process for Immigrant Visa persons

The link above tells you the process for if you selected to have a SSN visa issued. By checking the yes on the DS-230. It says if you dont get your SSN with in 3 weeks of being admitted to the USA you need to goto the local office and see whats going on.

I am doing that monday! If you are making the trip to see what is going on, its best to have everything required to order the SSN your self. So come ready with the information they require, so worst case if USCIS didnt share your information with the SSA you can order it there and wouldnt have to make 2 trips!!

What you need to order a SSN is this

Get a New or Replacement Card

Here are the instructions to apply for the fist card, for non citizens.

Original Social Security Number for a Noncitizen Adult

In general, only noncitizens who have permission to work from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can apply for a Social Security number. If you do not have permission to work but need a Social Security number for other purposes, see “Work eligibility” for further information.

To apply for a Social Security number:

Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5); and

Show us documents proving:

Immigration status;

Work eligibility;

Age; and

Identity.

Take your completed application and original documents to your local Social Security office .

Anyone age 12 or older requesting an original Social Security number card must appear for an interview at a Social Security office.

Immigration status

To prove your U.S. immigration status, you must show us the current U.S. immigration document, I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, issued to you when you arrived in the United States. If you are an F-1 or M-1 student, you also must show us your I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. If you are a J-1 or J-2 exchange visitor, you must show us your DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status.

Work eligibility

For most foreign workers, we only need to see an I-94, Arrival/Departure Record. Some foreign workers also must show their work permits from DHS (I-766 or I-688B).

Student: If you are an F-1 student authorized to work in curricular practical training, you must provide us with a Form I-20 with the employment page (page 3) completed and signed by a designated school official. We also need to see evidence of that employment, such as a recent pay slip or a letter from your employer. Your supervisor must sign and date the letter. The letter must describe:

Your job;

Your employment start date:

The number of hours you are, or will be, working; and

Your supervisor’s name and telephone number.

If you are an F-1 or M-1 student and are authorized to work off campus, you must provide us with the Employment Authorization Document you received from DHS.

If you are a J-1 student, you must provide a letter from your sponsor. The letter should be on sponsor letterhead with an original signature that authorizes your employment.

If you do not have permission to work

Lawfully admitted noncitizens can get many benefits and services without a Social Security number. You do not need a number to conduct business with a bank, register for school, apply for educational tests, obtain private health insurance, apply for school lunch programs or apply for subsidized housing. You cannot get a Social Security number for the sole purpose of obtaining a driver’s license.

Government benefits or services: If you do not have permission to work, you may apply for a Social Security number only if:

A federal law requires you to provide your Social Security number to get a particular benefit or service; or

A state or local law requires you to provide your Social Security number to get general assistance benefits that you already have qualified for.

If you need a number to meet these state or local requirements, you must bring us a letter from the government agency. It must be on letterhead stationery (no form letters or photocopies) and:

Specifically identify you as the applicant;

Cite the law requiring you to have a Social Security number;

Indicate that you meet all the agency’s requirements, except having the number; and

Contain an agency contact name and telephone number.

Taxes: If you need a number for tax purposes and you are not authorized to work in the United States, you can apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Visit IRS in person or call the IRS toll-free number, 1-800-TAXFORM (1-800-829-3676), and request Form W-7, Application For An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.

If you are assigned a number for nonwork purposes, you cannot use it to work. If you use it to work, we will inform DHS.

You must present your birth certificate if you have it or can easily obtain it. If not, we can consider other documents, such as a passport or a document issued by DHS, to prove your age.

Identity

Social Security will ask to see a current DHS document. Acceptable documents include:

Form I-551 (includes machine-readable immigrant visa with your unexpired foreign passport);

I-94 with your unexpired foreign passport; or

Work permit card from the Department of Homeland Security (I-766 or I-688B).

We may use one document for two purposes. For example, we may use a DHS work permit as proof of both work eligibility and identity. However, you must provide at least two separate documents.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.We also cannot accept a receipt showing you applied for the document.

We will mail your card as soon as we have all of your information and have verified your documents.

Keep your Social Security card in a safe place. It is an important document. Do not carry it with you.

So like I said, my advise is if you dont have your SSN get the documents ready you may need. Fill out the application and have it to be ready. If you go there and see they have already issued a number for you then great. If you get there and see nothing, then you are ready to order it then!!!!

Trust me! Be ready for anything! Who wants to wait a few months for the govt to get their butts moving!

Not me!

Timeline

Okay so I went to the Social Security Office today, they told me there has been no number issued for my wife as of yet. They told me I could fill out an application and show the documents and they can order it there. I already had everything ready, She asked my wife a few questions and then asked for her Passport and Green Card. She then she asked my wife if she swears the information given today was true she said yes. The lady gave us a letter, showing she applied for a SSN and one was issued. She said allow 2 weeks to get it in the mail and she was sorry for the delay. But it's not her fault, its USCIS who didnt share the information with the SSA but all my wife's information verrified with the immigration database. So its all done, once she gets the SSN card I can have her apply for a drivers permit and go from there :) Yeay!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Bump (for cause, sigh man).

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Well thanks to this website I was able to get alot done. My wife now has her driving permit in her hand, ssn card, green card. Now we can get her a car and have her take her road test. But in NY she can still drive with her Ecuador drivers license. Hmm That only took 11 months to do. :) Were going back to Ecuador for a 5 day vacation in January. :)

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Well thanks to this website I was able to get alot done. My wife now has her driving permit in her hand, ssn card, green card. Now we can get her a car and have her take her road test. But in NY she can still drive with her Ecuador drivers license. Hmm That only took 11 months to do. :) Were going back to Ecuador for a 5 day vacation in January. :)

Sounds great! Now you just have to wait a couple of years for the 10 year card and then citizenship.

We are waiting for everything to arrive-my wife came a few days ago. I was hoping that she would be able to change her last name to mine but I don't think that that is going to happen without spending quite a bit of money replacing the green card that will arrive.

Timeline

It was really easy for me, Basically during the I-130 I had processed everything with my last name for my wife. But listed her "Maiden Name" as an other names used. The embassy goes by what is on the passport, so they changed the name back to her Maiden Name. When we got at the POE I told the guy that i didnt like that, and I wanted to have my wife with my last name. He looked at the paperwork and seen that, he asked to see our marraige certificate and then he went in the computer changed it, then crossed the name out ( on that piece of paper attached to the envelope you cant open) and then told us to go to lane 4. We went there the lady reviewed the spelling of her name, my wife signed that little card. And then here we are, everything is in my last name. It all depends on how you first process the application, and you need to fix it before they issue the card. In my case, the immigration officer was understanding, becasue in Ecuador it is not customary to take on your spouses last name. My wife could add the " de yost" But that is not a legal name usage. Now my wife has has SSN card, her green card, and her NYS drivers permit. But they did forget to order the SSN card for my wife. I ended up going to the SSA and they looked at her id, checked the information and seen nothing was issued, luckly enough I had the application so they took it and issued her a number right there. 4 days later we had the card in the mail. It was a fast process, we were in and out in 25 minutes.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.