Loving the African male * Take 2

117 posts in this topic

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
So how can I join in? Omoba, what is the author's name and the book name?

Is it available at Barne's and Noble? If so, maybe I can just go pick one up.

It's called Loving the African Male by Pete Agbo

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

I just an email from C&B Book Distribution. So after all this waiting no book at all. Has anyone else had this happen with C&B?

There has been a problem with my computer and all the orders went back to the company.

So, i have ordered the books once again so please let me know what you would

like for me to do.

Thank you,

Carol

718-591-4525

In a message dated 1/9/2008 1:54:52 PM Eastern Standard Time, order@emartcart.com writes:

Order To: C&B Book Distribution

cbbookdist@aol.com

The longer it takes to introduce yourself the less you've actually accomplished

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
I just an email from C&B Book Distribution. So after all this waiting no book at all. Has anyone else had this happen with C&B?

There has been a problem with my computer and all the orders went back to the company.

So, i have ordered the books once again so please let me know what you would

like for me to do.

Thank you,

Carol

718-591-4525

In a message dated 1/9/2008 1:54:52 PM Eastern Standard Time, order@emartcart.com writes:

Order To: C&B Book Distribution

cbbookdist@aol.com

This didn't happen to me but it took a good month for me to get the book.

I think the best thing would be to get it directly from the author.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Liberia
Timeline

Maybe I did something wrong but I went to the author's website and tried to purchase it, but it kept telling me there was an error with my credit card. I attempted calling him, but the number was disconnected. Finally, after 5 attempts to do it with my credit card, I just gave up and ordered it from Amazon.com. They had it in stock and it should arrive within 3 days. I'm excited...it looks really interesting.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Liberia
Timeline
Page 17 encourages the African male to communicate no matter how stoic his upbringing, for greater

connection, clearer understanding and deepening love into new romantic territory.

I am blessed to have a man who wants to talk out everything if we hit a bump in the road.

But when we hit a pothole he had to remind himself that even though he has resolve, I may not and

need to bring the issue up " again " ! :unsure:

Some communication issues are related to culture, some are related to personal upbringing and the environment you grew up in. Bassi and I try to communicate regularly but I do have to break through sometimes because he will keep things from me to "protect" me. I think that I am more used to the idea of a partnership (you lean on me and I lean on you kind of thing). He feels that he has the role of protector. So, he'll shoulder things alone, that he doesn't have to...cause I'm strong enough. He knows I'm strong enough and acknowledges that, but still can't break out of that idea. But I do embrace the idea that both parties in the relationship have to take a step away from their comfort zone to enhance communication in the relationship.

Thanks for starting back the book club. It's a welcome diversion for me, as an avid reader.

Okay, I went back and read this...even though I haven't gotten the book, yet, I wanted to comment on the communication thing. In my own case, I agree with the author's comments on encouraging communication. Booker is good at communicating until we have a disagreement and then he will clam up and I'll have to beat it out of him. It's getting better as the months pass by, but I have to constantly remind him that communication is the only way to work past certain issues. Is it cultural or personal? In his case, I would say both. He grew up as an only child until he was a teenager so he grew up keeping his feelings to himself. I say it's cultural, too, because I noticed a lot of people in Liberia didn't have the idea of "let's share everything as one soul."

It was hard being patient with him because he would literally get silent during an argument and just not say anything and it would drive me nuts! We would end up arguing over his lack of communication and totally forget what the orginal argument was about. He also said it was because he wanted to protect me from certain things or simply because he was out of words. Now, instead of me bitterly forcing information from him, I just try to gently remind him of how far he came with his communication skills and he is more willing to spill the beans. Things have been smooth sailing since he has actively worked on voicing his opinion (whether it's good or bad).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
I misplaced the authors personal mobile number, let me ask if Heather still has it.

Im sorry about not being involved more in the book club. Im sweating all the details for the interview right now.

03/09/2013: Married

09/10/2013: Sent I-130

09/12/2013: Case Received.

03/04/2014: Petition transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

03/25/2014: I-130 Petition approved

03/28/2014: Petition sent to NVC

04/09/2014: NVC received case

05/08/2014: NVC assigned case number

05/16/2014: Paid AOS fee

10/02/2014: Case Closed

10/10/2014: Interview Date Scheduled

11/17/2014: Interview - APPROVED!!

Perhaps I'll just go to Amazon and get my money back from C&B.

That's what I am planning to do also because I actually cancelled the order with Amazon but, they sent the book anyway....geesh am I glad!!!!! Never got the book from C&B, I am planning on sending the email tonight asking for a refund.

****Removal of Conditions ****

7/13/09 Sent I-751 application VSC

7/16/09 Package arrived at VSC at 2:08pm signed by D. Renaud

7/24/09 Rcvd I-797C, NOA from VSC

7/29/09 Rcvd Biometric letter...biometrics appt 8/18/09

11/24/09 Rcvd ROC approval ltr...dated 11/18/09

12/04/09 Rcvd 10 yr Green Card in mail

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline
I misplaced the authors personal mobile number, let me ask if Heather still has it.

Im sorry about not being involved more in the book club. Im sweating all the details for the interview right now.

Me too, sweating for the second time !!! :angry: Second interview April 10.

Those C and B people really tick me off right now. I hope I get the book in time to at least read a chapter before falling behind. Omoba, are you grading on a curve? :P

The longer it takes to introduce yourself the less you've actually accomplished

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.