mikeandlani

My USEM Jan 30 CR1 Visa Interview Experience. APPROVED!!!

24 posts in this topic

Posted this earlier at the Philippines sub-forum, reposting it here for the benefit of all CR1/IR1 applicants'.

Arrival.

my sked was at 6:30am. i arrived around 6:20am. one of the guards at the entrance told me 9am interviewees are to wait at the waiting area. i told him i had a 630 sked and he looked surprised (i guess they were so used to applicant's qeueing up 2 or 3 hours before the appointed time and couldn't believe what he just heard from me. hehehehe! heck! i'm not the late lani for nothing. :lol: ) after presenting my appointment letter and an identification card, i was let in. i got into the immigrant visa section at exactly 630am, after the xray and the security checks

Immigrant Visa Section.

from the security check, you exit and turn left to enter the main building. then you make 2 more right turns to get to the Immigrant Visa Section.

as i stepped into the room, i was ushered into the blue seats to wait for my number to be issued. 15 mins after, it was our row's turn to line up for the number--i got my number 2 mins after. got back to my seat and waited for my number to flash on the board. it was about an hour after, around 740am that i heard my name called to approach window 16 for fingerscanning (biometrics), after 2 tries, i went back to my seat again to wait for the pre-screening.

Pre-Screening and Consular Interview.

15 minutes after, i saw my number flashing on the board to take window 18. almost missed it, since i was enjoying my chat with a lola who was being petitioned by her children. :lol:

Here's a transcript of my interview with the pre-screener:

Pre-Screener: Who is your petitioner?

Me : My Husband......(gave my mike's name)

PS : What is your name?

Me : Leilani.........(gave my complete name)

PS : Would you know how long your husband has been in the US? (during this exchange she had me sign the Part II of DS230--signed it in my maiden signature)

Me : He was 18 when he got there, so that would be around 198x

PS : Have you known your husband since then?

Me : No. We met later on.

PS : How did you meet?

Me : A mutual friend introduced us

PS : Is this mutual friend in America?

Me : No, she lives in Manila

PS : How did she and your husband meet?

Me : They were classmates in High School.

PS : How about you, how did you get to be friends with her?

Me : She's the wife of a good friend of mine.

PS : When did you get married?

Me : Civil ceremony was April 2006, while our Church rites was April 2007.

PS : Is this the first marriage for both of you?

Me : For me, yes. My husband has been married before.

PS : How did his past marriage end? Death? Divorce?

Me : He was divorced from his first wife.

PS : (while going over the documents in my packet, handed me the CENOMAR we previously submitted to the USCIS. As well as the Police Clearance we submitted in the DS230 application, she was going over my NBI Clearance when...)

Is this the most recent clearance you have? Its dated May 29, 2007.

Me : (i saw that Delbros already did their document verification as i could see they already have a copy of the CEMAR, and another copy in secpa of my birth certificate as well as our marriage certificate)

Yes, it is. Its said to be effective for a year.

PS : If in case your visa isn't issued by May 29, 2008, please submit to us a new one.

Me : Hmmm....i sure hope i have the visa way before May 29, 2008.

PS : I do too. As this would be less work for us...(smiles)

PS : Where have you travelled? I meant to the US. You went to the US twice? How long did you stay?

Me : Yes. The longest i've stayed was a month.

PS : Is your US visa in this passport?

Me : Yes it is.

PS : When was the last time you saw your husband.

Me : Last April. although, i was supposed to visit him last Christmas, we had to forego the plan once we received the approval and opted to save the airfare for the after visa release.

PS : Do you have pictures together?

Me : (i brought out an album......)

PS : Oh, that wouldn't fit in the slot, you might want to remove some pictures from the album, as the consul will ask

for it later. That will be all for now. Please wait for your number to be called again for the Consular Interview.

Me : Ok then. Have a Good Day!

got back to my seat again and chatted right back with lola....good thing i was talking to her and her companions, as i was really getting sleepy with all the waiting... B) about an hour and a half later, around 940am, long after lola and her companions had gone, i finally saw my number on the board again to proceed to room 29. i sat at the seat near the door and waited for the applicants inside to finish. since the sliding door was about two inches open, i peeped in to check how my consular officer conducts his interviews....hmmm...looked tough. he was a burly, curly and colored guy, and doesnt smile much...about 10 minutes later, the interviewees stepped out and i got in. the CO greeted me good morning and i greeted him right back. he excused himself for a moment to finish encoding his notes and comments on the applicants before me, i told him it was alright. i got my puzzlebook from my bag, and started filling it out. after about 7 minutes he was ready to interview me...:

"CO : Thank you for your patience. Who is your petitioner?

Me : My Husband x x x

CO : When did you get married?

Me : We married twice. Civil was last April 2006 and Church was April 2007

CO : You last saw your husband April last year?

Me : Yes.

CO : What does your husband do?

Me : He's a system administrator.

CO : What about you?

Me : Im a lawyer.

CO : Did you bring pictures of you together?

Me : Yes, but its our wedding album, i dont think it will fit in the slot.

CO : Its okay, you can just flip the album there so i can see.

(i got the mini album from my briefcase and started flipping it for him to see the photos inside)

CO : Where is this church?

Me : its in x x x.

CO : that's a pretty elaborate dress you have there...ok. that's about it. i wish you well and goodluck. you can go back outside and wait for your number to be called again.

Me : thank you so much and have a good day."

it took all 7 minutes for the interview. i went back to the seats and 10 minutes after, i heard my name over the PA to go to window 37. went there and a Filipino post interviewer was there. he handed me my appointment letter with a pink slip stapled on it. as i was about to leave, he asked me about my work and my husband's work. he got into a couple more chit chats and told me to proceed to the delbros counter and pay for the visa delivery fee and after which i can leave. paid delbros and took my leave. was out of the embassy 1015am.

that's about it. my interview experience turned SONA. hahaha! :lol::lol::lol:

now i am praying and keeping my fingers crossed that i can get the visa in hand soon...next review will be the POE.

thank you so much VJ! i have learned so much from this site. to Rina, Ness and Keith and to everyone who have been so good in replying to my queries, my special thanks to you. Goodluck to all who are still to have their interview. special holler to docjazzie, i hope this SONA :jest: of mine will help you prepare for your interview. And to those who have yet to receive their visas as well as their approvals, including case complete, don't fret, we will soon receive what we ask for. let's continue to pray for one another. :thumbs:

God is good all the time. God bless everyone!

lani

mikeandlani

our Visa Journey

09.01.06 - Filed I130 to VSC

05.21.07 - NOA2

06.19.07 - NVC receives Petition

11.23.07 - CASE COMPLETE

01.30.08 - USEM Interview

02.02.08 - CR1 Visa Received

03.03.08 - Entered US through Detroit International

03.27.08 - Received 2yr Conditional Resident Card

04.01.08 - Filed for my SSN at the local SSA office

04.05.08 - SSN received by mail

05.03.08 - Finally got my Driver's License

lifting conditions....

I-I-751

12.07.09 - Sent I-751 to VSC by express mail

12.08.09 - I-751 delivered to VSC per USPS tracking :-)

12.09.09 - NOA1 date (Checked cashed :-D)

12.14.09 - Received NOA1

12.18.09 - ASC Appointment Notice Date

12.26.09 - Received ASC Appointment Notice

12.31.09 - Early Biometrics

01.14.10 - Biometrics Schedule

02.26.10 - Email update --Card Production ordered

03.02.10 - Email update --Approval Notice sent

03.06.10 - Approval Notice Received

03.08.10 - Card Received

Naturalization

I-N400

09.09.11 - Sent N400 to USCIS Dallas Lockbox

09.23.11 - Received 1-797 by mail

11.17.11 - Biometrics Schedule

01.25.12 - Received Interview and Exam Notice by mail

02.28.12 - Interview schedule

03.28.12 - Oath Ceremony

CONGRATULATIONS

Nov. 23, 2009 mailed the I-751- Lifting of Conditions

Nov. 30,2009 USCIS sent it back to me coz i sent it 1 day earlier

Dec. 05, 2009 mail it again

Dec. 15, 2009 NOA1 recieved - GC 1 year extension

Dec. 24, 2009 recieved Biometrics Appointment

Jan. 08, 2010 Biometrics

Jan. 27, 2010 Approved...my card will be here within 60days

Feb. 01, 2010 Recieved 10 yrs. GC in the mail

March 17, 2008 papers for son sent to chicago

March 19, 2008 chicago recieved the papers

March 27,2008 NOA1

June 03,2008 NOA2 Petition Approved

July 19, 2008 AOS fee bill send to me...with MNL case number.

Aug. 14 2008 notice for visa payment

Aug. 16, 2008 I-864 download instructions

Sept 4, 2008 DS-230 instruction recieved

Sept. 29, 2008 NVC asking for missing documents for my son

Oct.18,2008 mail the letter of consent from the father

Oct 20, 2008 NVC recieved the letter of consent

Nov. 4,2008 recieved letter from NVC with the date of interview

Dec.09,2008 Medical at St. Lukes

Dec 22,2008 Interview for my son at Manila embassy

Jan.7,2009 Submit the proof of relationship

Feb. 02, 2009 going home to Phils

Feb.20,2009 Fly to USA...Mnl-Detroit

Sept.1 2009 Embassy sent a re medical form (almost 9 months waiting)

Nov. 9, 2009 Son re medical at St. Lukes...passed!

Dec. 08, 2009 VISA issued...thanks God!

April 25, 2010 son flying to USA---nxt journey,CITIZENSHIP!

Congratz! :dance:

I-130 PETITION

May-11-07 Mailed I-130 to CSC

Sept-14-07 I-130 APPROVED!!!!..after 100 days!

NVC Process

Sept-24-07 NVC rec'd case/assigned number

Jan-04-08 NVC CASE COMPLETE

USEM

Feb-14-2008 INTERVIEW IN USEManila APPROVED!!!

Feb-19-2008 Visa in HAND!! Wohoo!!!

IN TEXAS

Feb-28-2008 POE DFW

Mar-24-2008 Receive Green Card on Mail..

REMOVING CONDITIONS NOV..

Jan-11-2010 Mailed I-175 to VSC

Posted this earlier at the Philippines sub-forum, reposting it here for the benefit of all CR1/IR1 applicants'.

Arrival.

my sked was at 6:30am. i arrived around 6:20am. one of the guards at the entrance told me 9am interviewees are to wait at the waiting area. i told him i had a 630 sked and he looked surprised (i guess they were so used to applicant's qeueing up 2 or 3 hours before the appointed time and couldn't believe what he just heard from me. hehehehe! heck! i'm not the late lani for nothing. :lol: ) after presenting my appointment letter and an identification card, i was let in. i got into the immigrant visa section at exactly 630am, after the xray and the security checks

Immigrant Visa Section.

from the security check, you exit and turn left to enter the main building. then you make 2 more right turns to get to the Immigrant Visa Section.

as i stepped into the room, i was ushered into the blue seats to wait for my number to be issued. 15 mins after, it was our row's turn to line up for the number--i got my number 2 mins after. got back to my seat and waited for my number to flash on the board. it was about an hour after, around 740am that i heard my name called to approach window 16 for fingerscanning (biometrics), after 2 tries, i went back to my seat again to wait for the pre-screening.

Pre-Screening and Consular Interview.

15 minutes after, i saw my number flashing on the board to take window 18. almost missed it, since i was enjoying my chat with a lola who was being petitioned by her children. :lol:

Here's a transcript of my interview with the pre-screener:

Pre-Screener: Who is your petitioner?

Me : My Husband......(gave my mike's name)

PS : What is your name?

Me : Leilani.........(gave my complete name)

PS : Would you know how long your husband has been in the US? (during this exchange she had me sign the Part II of DS230--signed it in my maiden signature)

Me : He was 18 when he got there, so that would be around 198x

PS : Have you known your husband since then?

Me : No. We met later on.

PS : How did you meet?

Me : A mutual friend introduced us

PS : Is this mutual friend in America?

Me : No, she lives in Manila

PS : How did she and your husband meet?

Me : They were classmates in High School.

PS : How about you, how did you get to be friends with her?

Me : She's the wife of a good friend of mine.

PS : When did you get married?

Me : Civil ceremony was April 2006, while our Church rites was April 2007.

PS : Is this the first marriage for both of you?

Me : For me, yes. My husband has been married before.

PS : How did his past marriage end? Death? Divorce?

Me : He was divorced from his first wife.

PS : (while going over the documents in my packet, handed me the CENOMAR we previously submitted to the USCIS. As well as the Police Clearance we submitted in the DS230 application, she was going over my NBI Clearance when...)

Is this the most recent clearance you have? Its dated May 29, 2007.

Me : (i saw that Delbros already did their document verification as i could see they already have a copy of the CEMAR, and another copy in secpa of my birth certificate as well as our marriage certificate)

Yes, it is. Its said to be effective for a year.

PS : If in case your visa isn't issued by May 29, 2008, please submit to us a new one.

Me : Hmmm....i sure hope i have the visa way before May 29, 2008.

PS : I do too. As this would be less work for us...(smiles)

PS : Where have you travelled? I meant to the US. You went to the US twice? How long did you stay?

Me : Yes. The longest i've stayed was a month.

PS : Is your US visa in this passport?

Me : Yes it is.

PS : When was the last time you saw your husband.

Me : Last April. although, i was supposed to visit him last Christmas, we had to forego the plan once we received the approval and opted to save the airfare for the after visa release.

PS : Do you have pictures together?

Me : (i brought out an album......)

PS : Oh, that wouldn't fit in the slot, you might want to remove some pictures from the album, as the consul will ask

for it later. That will be all for now. Please wait for your number to be called again for the Consular Interview.

Me : Ok then. Have a Good Day!

got back to my seat again and chatted right back with lola....good thing i was talking to her and her companions, as i was really getting sleepy with all the waiting... B) about an hour and a half later, around 940am, long after lola and her companions had gone, i finally saw my number on the board again to proceed to room 29. i sat at the seat near the door and waited for the applicants inside to finish. since the sliding door was about two inches open, i peeped in to check how my consular officer conducts his interviews....hmmm...looked tough. he was a burly, curly and colored guy, and doesnt smile much...about 10 minutes later, the interviewees stepped out and i got in. the CO greeted me good morning and i greeted him right back. he excused himself for a moment to finish encoding his notes and comments on the applicants before me, i told him it was alright. i got my puzzlebook from my bag, and started filling it out. after about 7 minutes he was ready to interview me...:

"CO : Thank you for your patience. Who is your petitioner?

Me : My Husband x x x

CO : When did you get married?

Me : We married twice. Civil was last April 2006 and Church was April 2007

CO : You last saw your husband April last year?

Me : Yes.

CO : What does your husband do?

Me : He's a system administrator.

CO : What about you?

Me : Im a lawyer.

CO : Did you bring pictures of you together?

Me : Yes, but its our wedding album, i dont think it will fit in the slot.

CO : Its okay, you can just flip the album there so i can see.

(i got the mini album from my briefcase and started flipping it for him to see the photos inside)

CO : Where is this church?

Me : its in x x x.

CO : that's a pretty elaborate dress you have there...ok. that's about it. i wish you well and goodluck. you can go back outside and wait for your number to be called again.

Me : thank you so much and have a good day."

it took all 7 minutes for the interview. i went back to the seats and 10 minutes after, i heard my name over the PA to go to window 37. went there and a Filipino post interviewer was there. he handed me my appointment letter with a pink slip stapled on it. as i was about to leave, he asked me about my work and my husband's work. he got into a couple more chit chats and told me to proceed to the delbros counter and pay for the visa delivery fee and after which i can leave. paid delbros and took my leave. was out of the embassy 1015am.

that's about it. my interview experience turned SONA. hahaha! :lol::lol::lol:

now i am praying and keeping my fingers crossed that i can get the visa in hand soon...next review will be the POE.

thank you so much VJ! i have learned so much from this site. to Rina, Ness and Keith and to everyone who have been so good in replying to my queries, my special thanks to you. Goodluck to all who are still to have their interview. special holler to docjazzie, i hope this SONA :jest: of mine will help you prepare for your interview. And to those who have yet to receive their visas as well as their approvals, including case complete, don't fret, we will soon receive what we ask for. let's continue to pray for one another. :thumbs:

God is good all the time. God bless everyone!

lani

Question....did you pass police clearance with NVC or you just brought the original at the interview?

Question....did you pass police clearance with NVC or you just brought the original at the interview?

we submitted everything to the NVC - Police, NBI. i guess thats why the pre-screener returned my Police Clearance, since i didnt live in any other town but my birthplace, it wasnt necessary....oh yeah! forgot to include that question, she asked if i have lived anywhere else othen than my current city, i replied in the negative. Goodluck on your visa process!

mikeandlani

our Visa Journey

05.21.07 - NOA2

11.23.07 - CASE COMPLETE

lifting conditions....

I-I-751

12.14.09 - Received NOA1

03.08.10 - Card Received

Naturalization

I-N400

03.28.12 - Oath Ceremony

CONGRATULATIONS

CONGRATULATIONS :)

Congratz! :dance:

Thanks guys!

mikeandlani

our Visa Journey

05.21.07 - NOA2

11.23.07 - CASE COMPLETE

lifting conditions....

I-I-751

12.14.09 - Received NOA1

03.08.10 - Card Received

Naturalization

I-N400

03.28.12 - Oath Ceremony

WoW!!!!! :dancing: congratulations, attorney Lani! :D

that was very detailed. Thank you for sharing us your experience. I'm certain it will help a lot of us who are waiting to be interviewed :)

Congratulations again! so happy and excited for you :)

PS...the minialbum you showed the consul is like the minialbum we get from the wedding photographer we hired? :) am planning to bring mine too.

Thank you again!

mwah! :thumbs:

Sent N400: Oct 27, 2011

NOA: Nov 1, 2011

Biometrics: Nov 16, 2011

Yellow letter date: 12/14/2011

Yellow letter received: 12/19/2011

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Congratulations!!!

Edited by mgk

I-130

07/27/2007 : Mailed I130 for spouse (VSC)

09/20/2007 : NOA1

11/07/2007 : NOA2

NVC

11/20/2007 : Case # Assigned

03/10/2008 : Case Completed!

03/20/2008 : Interview Scheduled & Interview letter mailed

03/25/2008 : Beneficiary received interview letter

03/25/2008 : Case forwarded to consulate. NVC message updated on 3/28/08.

Consulate

05/22/2008 : Interview

05/22/2008 : Visa granted and passport collected same day.

05/26/2008 : POE (Newark, NJ).

Our Timeline (more detailed events)

I wish my husband's interview is this easy

don't fret, i'm sure it will be. :thumbs:

WoW!!!!! :dancing: congratulations, attorney Lani! :D

that was very detailed. Thank you for sharing us your experience. I'm certain it will help a lot of us who are waiting to be interviewed :)

Congratulations again! so happy and excited for you :)

PS...the minialbum you showed the consul is like the minialbum we get from the wedding photographer we hired? :) am planning to bring mine too.

Thank you again!

mwah! :thumbs:

Congratulations!!!

congratssss :dance:

thanks guys!

mikeandlani

our Visa Journey

05.21.07 - NOA2

11.23.07 - CASE COMPLETE

lifting conditions....

I-I-751

12.14.09 - Received NOA1

03.08.10 - Card Received

Naturalization

I-N400

03.28.12 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
:dance: :dance: congrats!! :dance: :dance:

::There’s a laugh in my eyes::

There’s a waltz in my walk

And it’s been such a long time

Since there was hope in my talk

If you never knew

What it is that’s new.. it’s you

‘Cause when your hands are in mine

You set a fire that everyone can see

And it’s burning away

Every bad memory

To tell you the truth

If it’s something new.. baby it’s you

It’s you in the morning

It’s you in the night

A beautiful angel came down

To light up my life

The world’s a different place

Where nothing’s too hard to say

And nothing’s too hard to do

Never too much to go through

To tell you the truth

Everything that’s new.. baby it’s you

It’s you in the morning

It’s you in the night

A beautiful angel came down

To light up my life

My life, my life

Ohh

So if I get to grow old (oh if I get to grow old)

With many years behind me (many years behind me)

There’s only one thing I want (aahh)

One thing I need beside me

For all that you are

For everything you do

For all that you’ve done

Just for showing me the truth

::It’s you...It’s you...Baby it’s you::

--Westlife

...alhamdullah...rabbina ya khallena le ba3d fil donya wa fil akhra...ameen...

How I wish we had lots of photos.. :(

We are not that photo galore.. We take pictures more of our daughter..

IR-1 Visa for Wife

NVC Case Complete = January 2, 2008

Received Packet 4 here in the US (Interview Packet) = January 18, 2008

Case Left NVC Forwarded to USEM Manila = January 23, 2008

SLEC Medical = Jan 31 and Feb 1, 2008 (2 days)

USEM Manila Interview = February 20, 2008 @ 8:30am = DONE! (Status: 2 Months wait is over APPROVED)

CFO Guidance & Counseling = April 17, 2008

Visa in Hand = April 18, 2008 (Our Wedding Anniversary)

Arrival in the US and POE = April 23, 2008 JFK Intl. Airport New York City

Social Security Card = May 2, 2008

Green Card in Hand = August 18,2008

How I wish we had lots of photos.. :(

We are not that photo galore.. We take pictures more of our daughter..

wedding pictures will do...

mikeandlani

our Visa Journey

05.21.07 - NOA2

11.23.07 - CASE COMPLETE

lifting conditions....

I-I-751

12.14.09 - Received NOA1

03.08.10 - Card Received

Naturalization

I-N400

03.28.12 - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.