Krikit

What's For Dinner?

5,101 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

B)-->

QUOTE(Team J and B @ Apr 2 2008, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, it's a grain. A "staple" if you may. Like rice! It's better than any white rice and better than brown rice I believe. I started eating it daily since my detox. Still crave processed carbs but really, breads and pastas are $hit on your system. So I make a bunch of quinoa and keep them in a Tupperware in the fridge and dole out a cup for dinner every night. Sometimes I'm a keener and have it for lunch, too. Eat it just like you would eat rice: with vegies, with sauces drizzled over it, or mix it in salads and throw in some coldwater shrimp and pour in some lime vinaigrette dressing.

Quinoa is low fat, high protein and fiber. I've cut out rice (which I lurve) and replaced with quinoa whenever possible.

Try it, Krikit! You'll love it!

I think I will! You did a detox, J? I've been thinking about doing that. What did you do and what did you think of it?

iagree.gif

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I did the detox February 1st-7th. I did the recleanse.com detox, and it was the best thing I could have ever done for myself.

I'll start a thread on Detox so we don't clog up this thread.

I made the ravioli lasagna bake thingy that someone

is there a recipe for it in here somewhere.. sounds like something I would like to make one day....

It's the one where you put fresh or frozen raviolis or stuffed manicotti or tortellini into a baking dish, put spaghetti sauce over top, cover with mozzarella and parmesan (if you like) and bake in the oven.

Our sea scallops were amazing. :)

I was in the store the other day and standing by the seafood department and DROOLING while looking at scallops that were the size of my fist! :wow: Gene and I really like them, I could eat them several times a week...but I ended up getting the salmon fillets instead. Can't remember the price now, but that's always a deterrent to eating them 2-3 days a week. :lol:

Might get some for the weekend though!

Our zuchinni/squash squares were delicious.

Have to root through the freezer this morning. I found a really good chicken crock-pot recipe in the paper the other day, and I'm going to try it out next Wednesday, when I'm out late that afternoon.

carlahmsb4.gif

I was in the store the other day and standing by the seafood department and DROOLING while looking at scallops that were the size of my fist! :wow: Gene and I really like them, I could eat them several times a week...but I ended up getting the salmon fillets instead. Can't remember the price now, but that's always a deterrent to eating them 2-3 days a week. :lol:

Have to root through the freezer this morning. I found a really good chicken crock-pot recipe in the paper the other day, and I'm going to try it out next Wednesday, when I'm out late that afternoon.

I'm going to have to go back and get more sea scallops. They were AMAZING. It's been a long time since I've had such sweet, flavourful, ones. And YES... the size of them! They were HUGE!!! I have no idea what I'm making today. Something from the freezer. Maybe chicken pot pie. I made one the other night with some of the leftover roast chicken. Yeah.... probably that. With parsley potatoes and fresh veg.

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm going to have to go back and get more sea scallops. They were AMAZING. It's been a long time since I've had such sweet, flavourful, ones. And YES... the size of them! They were HUGE!!! I have no idea what I'm making today. Something from the freezer. Maybe chicken pot pie. I made one the other night with some of the leftover roast chicken. Yeah.... probably that. With parsley potatoes and fresh veg.

I actually like the bay scallops better. They just taste yummier to me. Of course the Sea ones are so expensive too.

Tonight is mushroom chicken and green beans...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

I actually like the bay scallops better. They just taste yummier to me. Of course the Sea ones are so expensive too.

Tonight is mushroom chicken and green beans...

The bay scallops are good. I like to use them in my seafood chowder. They're also good in a fettuccini marinara. Mushroom chicken and green beans sounds yummy. *rethinks dinner menu*

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

today is my husbands bday and his last day of work, after 31 years at the same place!...so were having steak, roasted asparagus, salad and bruschetta, with strawberry/blueberry shortcakes for dessert...its all his favorites

Kimmbo (Las Vegas,NV,USA)

Barry (Brampton,ON,CANADA)

Im an American married to a Canadian, I have no kids, yet Im a grandmother, I can pick things up off the floor with my toes

I-130

----------------

Feb/26/07 Sent I-130 (VSC)($190 US)

March/2/07 Rcv'd at VSC

March/5/07 NOA-1

July/23/07 NOA2(147 days)

I-129F

--------------

March/16/07 Sent I-129F (Chicago) ($170 US)

March/21/07 Received in Chicago

March/22/07 NOA-1

April/10/07 Transferred to VSC

April/23/07 Email from USCIS (case pending at VSC)

July/23/07 NOA2(129 days)

July/28/07 Rcv'd at NVC

July/31/07 NVC sent to Montreal

Aug/3/07 Montreal Rcv'd

Aug/8/07 Packet 3 Received

Aug/10/07 Packet 3 Sent

Aug/13/07 Packet 3 Received in Montreal

Oct/17/07 Medical Scheduled (Dr Seiden)

Jan/25/08 INTERVIEW MONTREAL...APPROVED!

Feb/6/08 Montreal sends Visa, finally!

Feb/8/08 Received Visa (14 days)

April/18/08 Moving Day/POE Sarnia

AOS/EAD

--------------

June/21/08 AOS/EAD package sent ($1010)

June/23/08 Received in Chicago

June/30/08 Check cashed

July/01/08 Received NOA's for I-765 & I-485 (dated June 27th)

July/02/08 Touch

July/07/08 Received Biometrics letter (dated July 1st)

July/18/08 Biometrics appt 8am

Aug/30/08 EAD card received (approval dated Aug 26th)

Sept/04/08 Applied for SSN

Sept/15/08 Social Security card received

Jan/23/09 letter received with interview date

March/10/09 INTERVIEW 9:30am...APPROVED!!

March/19/09 Welcome Letter received

March/23/09 GREENCARD RECEIVED, DONE WITH USCIS UNTIL 2019!

today is my husbands bday and his last day of work, after 31 years at the same place!...so were having steak, roasted asparagus, salad and bruschetta, with strawberry/blueberry shortcakes for dessert...its all his favorites

Awwww. You're a sweetie for making him all his favourites on such a momentous occasion. Happy birthday to your hubby. And I hope he's feeling okay about leaving somewhere he's worked for so long. With any luck he hated it and he's glad to go. :unsure::)

iagree.gif

Last night I tried my hand at making ma po tofu on rice. It's a very spicy, intense Sichuan pork-and-tofu dish that requires a bit of finesse and a handful of prayers. Unfortunately I didn't have all the authentic ingredients for it, but it was good enough that hubby says he'll endure the hour-long drive to the Asian supermarket for the real deal. :D

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Hmm. I didn't know what that was, Nini, so I googled it. Found this recipe, and now I really want to try it. (The riesling nailed it for me, though. :lol: )

Ma Po Tofu

This simple Chinese stir-fry uses tofu, the food touted by Susan Love. In addition to its potential health benefits for women, the soy in tofu may help protect against prostate cancer. Depending on how much chili garlic sauce you use, you can customize the heat in this mix of lean ground pork, tofu, and Asian spices. Add a side of chilled melon and a cold glass of dry riesling for a satisfying supper.

Ingredients

1 (1-pound) package reduced-fat firm tofu, cut into 6 slices

1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth

1 tablespoon cornstarch

2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce

1 tablespoon oyster sauce

1 to 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee)

4 ounces lean ground pork

1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger

3 garlic cloves, minced

2 cups hot cooked long-grain brown rice

1/3 cup chopped green onions

Preparation

Place tofu slices on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Place a dinner plate on top of covered tofu; let stand 30 minutes. Remove plate; discard paper towels. Cut tofu slices into 1/2-inch cubes.

Combine broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and chili garlic sauce, stirring with a whisk.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork; cook 4 minutes or until done, stirring to crumble. Add ginger and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add tofu; cook 4 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Add broth mixture to pan. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat.

Serve tofu mixture over rice. Sprinkle with onions.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Mmm, that looks about right, but I think I used the high-fat version :lol: I recommend using silken tofu and letting it braise in the mixture with the pork, but that depends on how comfortable you are with cooking tofu. Silken tofu is extremely squishy, for lack of a better description :D

Once I refine the recipe, I'll be sure to post it though!

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hmm. I didn't know what that was, Nini, so I googled it. Found this recipe, and now I really want to try it. (The riesling nailed it for me, though. :lol: )

Ma Po Tofu

This simple Chinese stir-fry uses tofu, the food touted by Susan Love. In addition to its potential health benefits for women, the soy in tofu may help protect against prostate cancer. Depending on how much chili garlic sauce you use, you can customize the heat in this mix of lean ground pork, tofu, and Asian spices. Add a side of chilled melon and a cold glass of dry riesling for a satisfying supper.

Ingredients

1 (1-pound) package reduced-fat firm tofu, cut into 6 slices

1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth

1 tablespoon cornstarch

2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce

1 tablespoon oyster sauce

1 to 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee)

4 ounces lean ground pork

1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger

3 garlic cloves, minced

2 cups hot cooked long-grain brown rice

1/3 cup chopped green onions

Preparation

Place tofu slices on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Place a dinner plate on top of covered tofu; let stand 30 minutes. Remove plate; discard paper towels. Cut tofu slices into 1/2-inch cubes.

Combine broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and chili garlic sauce, stirring with a whisk.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork; cook 4 minutes or until done, stirring to crumble. Add ginger and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add tofu; cook 4 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Add broth mixture to pan. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat.

Serve tofu mixture over rice. Sprinkle with onions.

Does anyone have any Mennonite recipes they would like to share?

January 19, 2008 sent I129f to CSC

January 24, 2008 NOA1

June 3, 2008 TOUCH!!!

June 3, 2008 NOA2!!!!!

June 9, 2008 NVC received

June 10, 2008 mailed to Vancouver!!!

June 24, 2008 Packet 3 received!!!

July 3, 2008 Faxed Packet 3 to Vancouver

July 11, 2008 Medical

July 15, 2008 Packet 4 received(interview notice)

August 27, 2008 1pm INTERVIEW!!!!! APPROVED!!!!

September 14, 2008 POE Pembina, North Dakota YAY!!!!

November 1, 2008 Wedding!!!

AOS, EAD, AP

January 10, 2009 AOS, EAD, AP sent to Chicago lockbox

January 12, 2009 Received

January 22, 2009 NOA1 AOS, EAD, AP

January 30, 2009 AOS transfered to CSC

March 16, 2009 AP touch

March 17, 2009 Biometrics

March 17, 2009 EAD card production ordered

March 17, 2009 AOS touch

March 18, 2009 AP received

March 25, 2009 EAD received (good for one year)

April 21, 2009 Email stating AOS approved!!!!!!

April 25, 2009 Card received

Mmm, that looks about right, but I think I used the high-fat version :lol: I recommend using silken tofu and letting it braise in the mixture with the pork, but that depends on how comfortable you are with cooking tofu. Silken tofu is extremely squishy, for lack of a better description :D

Once I refine the recipe, I'll be sure to post it though!

Okay, change of plan. Am in the process of making the Ma Po Tofu. Didn't buy the silken tofu... bought the firm. I find the silken tofu too squishy. :hehe: Will let you know the verdict. :thumbs:

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.