Krikit

What's For Dinner?

5,101 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Paula Dean gets on my last nerve - although i am hoping to have nice silver hair like that once it all comes in :D Wonder if she uses one of those silver hair rinses? (but I digress)

No one has pretty nails like that when they cook so much and frankly, she's a little prissy and southern belle-ish for me. Just drop the act for pete's sake

Well it's interesting - the whole Rachel Ray thing, ditto to the immediately changing the channel - my Husband and I both reach for the remote when she comes on, I think I leave it on sometimes now during the day because I find her cooking methods a bit facinating. Like Carla said, this stuff is basic, the 30 minute meals - if I had that many cans of tomatoes I could make dinner in 30 minutes too :lol: (sorry Rachel)

As for Paula Dean - I couldn't STAND the program! Then my Sister mentioned that Paula was on Larry King one night - I caught the repeat and her talking about her panic disorder, that she lived with for like 20 years and has now overcome and I admired her for talking about it and I have liked her ever since.

Can't see myself really making anything she does, again, if I put 1/2 a pound of butter in every dish it would probably be fun food haven here too!

Paula just came on - she is making candy with some guy :hehe:

Edited by trailmix

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Yumm! Those sound good:-). We just had fish and 'chips' - seasoned french fries baked in the oven. But we had cardamon and clove coffee afterwards:-).

Sounds good and interesting and where did you pick it up? Is it real coffee flavoured or what?

On another drinky note - has anyone had the Caramel Apple spice hot tea-type drink at Starbucks? Good lord is it ever good. I was looking for something different last week and have now been 3 days in a row :) Not a coffee drink, kind of like hot apple cider

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Timeline
On another drinky note - has anyone had the Caramel Apple spice hot tea-type drink at Starbucks? Good lord is it ever good. I was looking for something different last week and have now been 3 days in a row :) Not a coffee drink, kind of like hot apple cider

Don't you mean.... "That Caramel Apple spice hot tea-type drink at Starbucks is some good!" :hehe:

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok back on the Perogie things. I got some from the store and now am thinking I want to try something new rather then the usual boil and melt in butter and have onions on top. I'm thinking I want to fry them up in a pan. Is that doable at all? Would I use butter or Olive oil? And how do the frozen Perogies fry? I'm just worried they'd all crumble to hell and I'd have fried much to serve for dinner...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline
Ok back on the Perogie things. I got some from the store and now am thinking I want to try something new rather then the usual boil and melt in butter and have onions on top. I'm thinking I want to fry them up in a pan. Is that doable at all? Would I use butter or Olive oil? And how do the frozen Perogies fry? I'm just worried they'd all crumble to hell and I'd have fried much to serve for dinner...

I always fry them a bit - haven't had any crumble.

I put some water in a frying pan - not much, covers about 1/4 of the perogie basically, I also put a bit of olive oil in the water, so basically the water cooks/thaws the perogie (if frozen) and the oil fries it once the water has steamed off.

Thing is, at least with the ones we get, they are pretty darn crispy when fried, so might want to be careful not to over-fry as they would then become hockey pucks - very Canadian - not very tasty.

Oh yes......WAY better to fry them. The trick is knowing how long. I fry them in BUTTER. In a cast iron frying pan. With bacon and onions. Sour cream on top.....Mmmmmmmmm forget the rest of the meal...that is my meal. I'd defrost, or even boil them a few minutes first.

carlahmsb4.gif

Paula Dean gets on my last nerve - although i am hoping to have nice silver hair like that once it all comes in :D Wonder if she uses one of those silver hair rinses? (but I digress)

No one has pretty nails like that when they cook so much and frankly, she's a little prissy and southern belle-ish for me. Just drop the act for pete's sake

Well it's interesting - the whole Rachel Ray thing, ditto to the immediately changing the channel - my Husband and I both reach for the remote when she comes on, I think I leave it on sometimes now during the day because I find her cooking methods a bit facinating. Like Carla said, this stuff is basic, the 30 minute meals - if I had that many cans of tomatoes I could make dinner in 30 minutes too :lol: (sorry Rachel)

As for Paula Dean - I couldn't STAND the program! Then my Sister mentioned that Paula was on Larry King one night - I caught the repeat and her talking about her panic disorder, that she lived with for like 20 years and has now overcome and I admired her for talking about it and I have liked her ever since.

Can't see myself really making anything she does, again, if I put 1/2 a pound of butter in every dish it would probably be fun food haven here too!

Paula just came on - she is making candy with some guy :hehe:

Ditto. I saw Paula Dean's beginnings, and what she overcame, and I think she's exactly how she appears on TV as well. She's goofy, loves to eat, I LOVE her hair, and she isn't apologetic about eating fatty things! :)

I saw Ina's background too, and an interview, and truly, she is a lovely lady. She's not pretentious at all. She and Jeffrey have been married 40 years! Their wedding picture was on the show, and they were both very very young, but heck, they truly looked like they were about 16. :blink: She's attractive, and both her and Paula aren't "picture perfect" and I think that's why I like them.

Now Giada...have you heard her say "crust" about 50 times a show??? And that waist??? Eating all that food she makes???? Wow!! I heard she was pregnant. I know nothing about her background other than one day she had on a family she was a cook for? I love her Aunt...she tells it like it is, and Giada looks like a goof when her aunt's on the show. :lol:

I once watched an Ellie Kreiger (sp)? show and it was so good! Healthy Eating. Very creative.

This should have been the Vent thread, but it was about food, hence that's why I put it here. :P

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok thanks for all the advice on the Perogies. I'll attempt to fry them and make sure I don't burn the hell out of them. I'll just stick with onions for the toppings. Didn't get any sour cream so that unfortunatly will probably be out unless I hit the store tomorrow before making them. This should be an adventure...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Ok thanks for all the advice on the Perogies. I'll attempt to fry them and make sure I don't burn the hell out of them. I'll just stick with onions for the toppings. Didn't get any sour cream so that unfortunatly will probably be out unless I hit the store tomorrow before making them. This should be an adventure...

Let us know how it goes warlord...I'm anxious to see how you like them!

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Timeline

Boil them a little, first, Warlord. (Or steam fry them like Trailmix mentioned.) Otherwise they'll just be hard and chewy.

iagree.gif

Timeline

Boil them a little, first, Warlord. (Or steam fry them like Trailmix mentioned.) Otherwise they'll just be hard and chewy.

:thumbs:

Just remember, they should look like this when you are done:

perogies-057.jpg

Timeline
Well doesn't that look yummy. We expect a picture of yours, Warlord! :lol:

I have finally decided to make seafood chowder for dinner this evening. The temperature has dropped and it's a bit chilly here. post-21394-1204144228.gif

What, lower 20's?? :hehe:

It's 12 degrees here today! Decided I wanted something warm for lunch so I had cream of wheat and toast, thoughts of childhood.

Anyhoo - I'm not sure what's for dinner, the paninis last night were delicious - which reminds me I still had half of mine left which I was going to eat for lunch.

We don't have much meat, some burgers, sausages and that's about it. Oh, I have just decided, we are having pancakes and eggs :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.